Sky Galleons of Mars/Space 1889

Agent X

I've only seen the Space: 1889 books enough to think of how cool the setting would be. I would definitely like to see some possibilities along those lines when the DOJ guys get around to doing Victorian Hero. Sure, I'm setting myself up as a Star Hero GM, but it would be cool to have a world with this sort of "steampunk tech" in the mix. :D

I ran a Space:1889 game for a while. It is currently in hiatus (or moribund...). I put it on hold last March to prepare for a local gaming convention, and I also planned to switch it from the original hybrid S1889/Hero system to all-Hero; but I never got around to getting it going again. Here is my web site: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Tom_Carman/S1889/mygame.htm

My conversion took some inspiration from this site, called Space/Hero 1889: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Realm/6532/victor.html

A long time ago I ran a short Space 1889 campaign using Hero System. Sadly the group I was with at the time was just starting to fade away (people graduating, moving off to jobs, etc.)

Unfortunately I don't think any of my Hero stuff for that game still exists, but it would have been several editions out of date anyway. I think I still have my old Space 1889 books in the attic. I still have a pretty good collection of Sky Galleons and Aerial Gunboat miniatures, and they are all painted.

I've done some minor farting around with converting Space: 1889 to Hero. Some racial package deals, weapons stats, a few of the beasts (but this was before I got the 5th Ed Bestiary, so they could probably be done better). I started in on converting the some of the airships, but ran into sort of a snag when the Martians didn't have the strength to get their screw galleys moving.

I've thought about looking up those notes and posting them here, just to get something in the "other genres" board that wasn't anime, but I've just been lazy....

Whisperdeath-class kite

Size: 13 (65)

STR: 75

DEX: 11 (3)

BODY: 23

DEF: 10 (does not protect some occupants -1/4, 19 points)

SPD: 3 (9)

Movement: 20" Flight, x8 NCM (OAF sails (-1 1/4), sailed (-1/4), no backwards movement (-1/4), limited maneuverability (-1/4), RSR: Trimsman, no AP penalty (-0), 17 points)

-6" Running (-12)

-2" Swimming (-2)

Enormous Anchor (30)

Heavy Gun (I'll post all this crap later...ditto for the Rod Gun, 33 points)

+3 Heavy Guns (10)

Rod Gun (33 points)

Total cost: 205

Does anyone else have anything to post, or am I the undisputed KING OF MARS?

• 2 years later...

Re: Sky Galleons of Mars/Space 1889

Bibbity Bobbity Boop!

Thread Necromancy.

Was pondering stuff for the Crimson Skies/Pulp aircraft thread and wondered if there was anything on the boards pertaining to the Sky Galleons of Mars vehicles & weapons. Found this thread and thought it might be better to revive this one than start a new one.

Anyone up for this?

To get stuff started, here's a link to a neat essay concerning weapons in around the same tech level, including my old favorite, the Hotchkiss Rotating Cannon, and a nice pic of a 5 barrel Nordenfelt Machine Gun

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/mgs.html

Re: Sky Galleons of Mars/Space 1889

Well, with Pulp Hero out, I figured interest might be revived...

Granted it's a Victorian/Gaslight/Steampunk kinda pulp, but I still consider flying boats over Mars to be more pulp than pure victorian, kinda like I consider Dinosaurs and lost tribes of Indians in the Old West to be more Pulp than Western Hero.

I found a good pic of the naval Hotchkiss revolving cannon... I'm guessing this is a 47mm/3 pounder

I'm looking like mad for actual performance statistics for these so I can start hammering out their stats.