Any Interest in Another Bestiary?

Jkeown

I'm thinking of turning over my entire bestiary of critters to you guys. I just don't have time to finish it up. I've promised stuff before only to skip away without completion... Its 166 pages without illustrations or flavor text... mostly because when I use them, I know what they're all about, so I've never had to finish them up. 

Maybe I should put them together in themed batches and release them over time... dunno. Guidance is requested. 

YES! Nearly everything in there looks intriguing. Looks like a lot of D&D convertions (which are both useful and interesting to see someone's take on it), interesting sounding original creatures. Shard sounds like something from Shadow World. Rust Slug? hehe

Also the Appendices look very cool and useful. Biomes? Useful bits? Chaos effects? Weird skies? All awesome sounding stuff.

12 hours ago, Alcamtar said:

YES! Nearly everything in there looks intriguing. Looks like a lot of D&D convertions (which are both useful and interesting to see someone's take on it), interesting sounding original creatures. Shard sounds like something from Shadow World. Rust Slug? hehe

Also the Appendices look very cool and useful. Biomes? Useful bits? Chaos effects? Weird skies? All awesome sounding stuff.

Here's a taste: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Arb5S34lAw6vhvcIzNG4LlMDKe-NLQ?e=CmSOdp

Very cool, I like it. It's interesting to see different types of weather statted up as well as some very bizarre ideas for environments. Could definitely see using this is a sourcebook for other planes; the idea of magical lands hadn't really occurred to me, I find it intriguing.

4 hours ago, Alcamtar said:

Very cool, I like it. It's interesting to see different types of weather statted up as well as some very bizarre ideas for environments. Could definitely see using this is a sourcebook for other planes; the idea of magical lands hadn't really occurred to me, I find it intriguing.

Thank you so very much! I'm working on expanding the Terribly Inconvenient Things Table into actual paragraphs. That table is actually me being lazy.

That's not to mention that I'm also working on converting the Appendices into a PDF of their own. After all of this I HAVE TO get back to work on Pleet Roodlepleen's Intergalactic Bestiary. Maybe when this cat (Zard, Hero of Another Story) gets off my freaking arm...

There is a temptation to just dump the whole thing as-is on you guys and expand upon it as questions are posed....

Oh... there is a corrected copy in the downloads section.

6 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

I hear that.  I should be better given my career choices but...

I'm in an IT-adjacent career. My lack of attention to detail has nearly gotten me fired a few times. Fortunately, I have a startling excess of personality which my users love. That's not ego, that's from a job performance review.

Sample time! Only a few creatures... but maybe enough to get an idea. I'll work up another sample in the morning. 

Caution: Coarse language, functional sharp points and a brief discussion of breakfast food.

Writing the flavor text whilst coming down from an anxiety attack (get therapy early, kids!) so if it sucks, remember that it was written whilst coming down from an anxiety attack and understand. If it's great, then remember that it was written whilst coming down from an anxiety attack, so it's even more impressive. 

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Arb5S34lAw6vhvcQhWS7cbGfHjHgAQ?e=G94xQD

On 4/26/2021 at 8:28 PM, Alcamtar said:

Common abyssals are surprisingly mundane! Are they actually tiefling style demons? Love the "Naber" easter egg from FH1e. Ooava Nocte sounds like fun to roleplay.

Commons just people who developed near (evolved from or adapted to) the strange energies of the Maelstrom. Those that adapt best become Abyssal Lords or even Demon Princes. They live right up against the thing. having shapeshifting helps to survive in such a place. Making them mundane was purposeful... maybe some day a whole campaign can be played in Methiax, by players who are willing to take the risks of living in a world the love child of Game of Thrones and Othello, with Palpatine, Caligula, and Dick Cheney in charge. 

Oorava was written very quickly a number of years ago as a Hunted for a Fantasy HERO character to be vexed by. This is why the text becomes personal, employing you instead of some generic term. I imagined all of those busy, hot, single moms up at Castleton Square talking hurriedly on some bleeding-edge smartphone she'll discard a year from now, getting the Beamer repaired, working on a plastic surgery appointment to get the "girls" lifted, Monday's social media presentation, and her bastard child's day care situation while trying to buy scarves. I'm not a fan of "Hunted by Orcs." That's boring... While "Hunted by the Demon Princess of Lust" defines a character. Justifies the Striking Appearance he paid for and keeps him up at night, too. Thus are heroes born and stories spun. 

As for FH1e... I'm still playing that setting. Expanded it to an entire world. Over the decades, it's gone from standard fantasy to a steampunk wonderland. 

Gonna name a city in the far east of Serantia Alcamtar. Mostly Drakine out that way... Drakine and very large birds.

I would love to see more about the setting as you've developed it. I fell in love with it with FH1e and dabbled a little but never really developed it out.

"Hunted by the Demon Princess of Lust" is even funnier when you're not sure if it refers to an actual demon or just an extremely high maintenance and insatiable ex-girlfriend.

She's both. Actually.... Hunted always sort of implies imprisonment, death or a form of oversight... Demon Ex-Girlfriend seems to have been overlooked.

As for the setting... I have some notes... 531 pages of notes. I might punch them up a bit and toss them at you.  Good chunks of it were written before I found my voice. That is to say, dreadfully boring.