Help Me Build This...

Saber

Ok, so my very first game of champions is coming up, and I’ve got a character all built and ready to go. With the help of a friend, I was able to construct what I wanted to near perfection...

BUT

Lately, I've been looking over my character and saying, "their MUST be a better way to do this." So I bring the question to you, with hopes that your expert opinions will lead me to a well-built character. So here's the rundown...

Joe Nobody was a cancer patient on his last days of life. Some secret government operation (Project Orpheus) steps in and signs Joe's life over to them, claiming to have a cure. They inject poor Joe with experimental steroids and bombard his body with untested energy waves, hoping the steroids will strengthen his body so that the energy can kill the cancer.

Big Failure. The steroids act as a conductor, fueling his muscles with the energy to the point that his body can no longer handle the strain, causing a massive explosion. The government finds Joe later, lying in a crater where their lab had once been, and still emitting dangerous amounts of energy. So Joe (who has grown significantly in size) is locked in a containment unit/body armor to protect everyone else from him. He breaks free and runs.

Now, my plans were to play Joe as a brick. Strong, Hulk-like hero encased in protective armor. But he has a catch. Still being very energy based, Joe tends to absorb unwanted energy into his body. So, when Joe gets hit in combat, his body uncontrollably absorbs the kinetic energy from the impact. Problem is, the suit can only handle so much power, and when Joe gets REALLY hammered on for a long while, he must vent all that excess power, resulting in a MASSIVE explosion.

The idea behind this "side effect" was meant to be a character building thing. A man, locked away from the world in this permanent armor, who is a danger to all around him. The explosion is meant to be rare, so it won't happen when he faces down some street thugs. But if he were up against the likes of Grond, or some other super villains with immense power, he must worry about the very real danger of destroying all those he would wish to save.

Now, here’s the thing. How can I build that. As I have it, I have 2 absorption effects (one for physical, one for energy) each costing 21 points (1d6 absorption, 80 point max, side effect -1). This is 42 points overall, yet it in NO WAY benefits me. I am essentially paying points for a disadvantage. The absorbed points do not go to anything I can use, and the explosion is something my character would avoid at any cost. I've bought these 2 absorption powers, yet all they bring me is fear and hatred from normal people, not to mention the possible plot hook that some villain captures me and uses me as his personal bomb.

Yet, I do like the effect, it really beings the character to life for me. So, the question is, how can I retain this effect, yet still get some use out of those 42 points? Is their a way to just have that as a disadvantage, so I can use the points elsewhere? Is their something cheaper I can buy that would simulate this effect? Is the power actually beneficial, and I just don’t see it?

Any help would be great. Thanks

How about a Phisical limitation using the absorption mechanics as a way to calculate the explosion point?

Another option would be an END reserve that can feed some of your more unusual powers with the Side effect mentioned being on the pool, not the Absorption or other powers. However if you feel you need the limitation on the absorption have the Side effects Check with your Gm, even a good SFX is not necessarily an excuse to have three powers with essentially the same Side effects and trigger!

Another option may be an EC to reduce the cost.

(hmm if they drain the reserve would tat set off the explosion much faster or slower?)

Perhaps it powers his exceptional stength, some of his exceptional defenses (perhaps his forcefield, "sorry Nell, (the Generic Girlfriend) I have to keep my forcefeild on for the next 24 hours while I drain away the effects of battling Grond...") or many of his more powerful attacks.

Also if you go this route you may want to pay for the End Reserve power by having partially limited powers that cost additional end in order to get more points. The End Reserve should not have a Recovery unless normal daily actions build up the dangerous energies.

( I would think a 100-400 point reserve woudl be very desireable so 10-40 Cp's at -1...)

14d6 Energy Blast, Explosion (+ 1/2), Trigger - after 100 Stun (+ 1/4), No Conscious Control (- 2), No Range (- 1/2), Activates if CON Stunned (- 1/2)

AP: 122

RP: 41

END: 12

season to taste.

he explodes every 100 stun...you need to keep track

oh, and he pays the END cost for exploding as it drains him of energy.

He has armor, right? Buy the "high end" of his armor (ie, if he has 30 pd, the last 5-10) with Side Effect: Kablooie. Rather than assign it a number, simply have the triggering effect be "getting hit by a lot of really powerful attacks" (it will be more fun if you don't know exactly when it's going off, but the GM does), and have it effect only the environment. This should make it a total of - 1/4 limitation. This means you'll be saving 5 or so points, and you have a drawback to the character that is generally bad but occasionally useful.

• 3 weeks later...

How about...

EB, Explosion, Trigger (only when END Reserve is filled), Personal Immunity (that'll make him feel guilty :)), No Concious Control, Only Full Power.

The End Reserve value should exactly match the END needed to fire the attack at maximum value.

Then, limit the Absorb so that it only absorbs damage above a certain value (15 Body, more than 1/2 PD, etc.)

The blast can be delayed by Increased END cost, while still having the END Reserve bought to the level needed.

John T

Hmmm... I think all of these are off-base. I would be more inclined to do this as a Physical Limitation. Especially if the explosion leaves him unconscious, as well.

"Explodes after taking a serious beating"

Infrequently, Greatly

10 points.

As your GM, I would not let you know how many dice you do or how much damage you have to take before you blow. But, I would expect the explosion to do around 2d6 higher than the campaign max, and you would probably have some indication that you were feeling "full" before you went off, so you could vacate the area. But this should definitely be a disadvantage, since the vast majority of its effects are negative, not a power.

This really has to be a disadvantage, and I would also make it a Physical Limitation- 10 or 15 points' worth sounds about right. It's a really special kind of idea, a very good one. Makes me think of the old Hulk TV show or maybe the first few issues of the original X-Men- that kind of good idea.

You may also wish to buy an Accidental Change, Uncommon Circumstances, 8-. where the change means you're left unconcious. Altogether though, the Limitation are worth about 15 points... more if your GM intends to make you explode with some frequency.

I also think it should just be a physical limitation it shouldn't cost you any points if you can't (or won't) trigger the explosion. Even if a character can't activate a NCC power of their own free wil NCC powers are still assumed to be useful. If your GM thinks you're going to use the explosion to finish off an attacker then suggest the character's impending explosion be visible (you start to glow) giving opponents the chance to flee from you before the blast happens.