Combat Sense, Danger Sense, and sense modifiers...

unclevlad

HD allows a number of adders onto Combat Sense, and some of em....don't make a lot of sense to me.  Figured I'd ask here what everyone else thinks.

Concealed:  applies to an active sense.  The Talent doesn't indicate, but it feels like it's a passive one.

Microscopic:  doesn't seem to apply at all...or at least, feels like it'd almost never apply.  

Rapid:  same

Telescopic:  can't be applied, at least not without GM approval.  It only works at HTH combat distance, so range mods don't apply.

Transmit:  I'm not even sure how this would apply.  

Danger Sense also has Concealed, Microscopic, and Telescopic, and they don't make much sense to me either.  Rapid and Telescopic do, in this context, but not the others.

Thoughts?

I haven't used HD, but I suspect that those adders are there by default just because we are talking about Enhanced Senses.  I can't imagine why you would use them either, but Hero is all about flexibility, so there is no point is preventing you from using those adders just in case someone to comes up with a concept where it works.

More or less my thought;  technically they're Talents, and neither one is connected to any sense group, but by and large, they are Senses so quite possibly, several things were included by default.

That said, at least Telescopic on Combat Sense is a prima facie contradiction, and the presence of Concealed creates an impression that it's an active sense.

And I'd simply rather pull things if they have no place.  If I can't answer "what does this mean" and can't construct an example of when it could arise in play, then it's better to remove it, IMO.  I'm talking for me, or anyone else who wants to do this...it's not hard to delete something from the templates.  I am NOT suggesting that Dan make the change in the HD code itself, unless he and the rules mavens agree.  Their standard is clearly and properly harsher than mine.

Some of the modifiers may make sense if other are also taken. Danger sense mentions that you can take Discriminatory and Analyze, things like Rapid or Telescopic could apply to that portion of the sense.

Could Transmit might allow you to warn others of danger.  Depending on the special effect of the danger sense that might be allows.  Maybe if the special effect of your danger sense is mental you could broadcast danger to others.  In that case concealed might be used to conceal the source of the warning.

Most if not all of this type stuff would require the GM’s approval, but it is probably better to include it in the program than to make it more difficult to do.