Help me build the first Hunter...

Guest Hunter1

Guest Hunter1

Considering my name here is Hunter1, I was thinking of creating a superhero called the Hunter. I could create the obvious martial artist type, but I am looking for something different and unique. Any suggestions?

Re: Help me build the first Hunter...

Originally posted by Hunter1

Considering my name here is Hunter1, I was thinking of creating a superhero called the Hunter. I could create the obvious martial artist type, but I am looking for something different and unique. Any suggestions?

I did a charachter named Hunter for Project: PREDATOR, which appeared in HAYMAKER a number of years ago. Unfortunately I signed over the rights to DOJ, so I cant post the character.

Basically, he was a paranormal with super-athelete type abilities, some martial arts, and agent-type skills. The twist with him was his MO. Counter to the typical comic book fashion of direct and declared conflict, he operated by stealth and only took a single quarry at a time, and generally sought to capture his quarry rather than kill or harm them. He worked for the government, and was backed up by a ground team of agents.

Guest Hunter1

I was thinking that the character could be a bounty hunter who goes after super villains. His powers would be part of a variable pool. He studies his target, and then creates powers that would exploit the villain's weaknesses. I am not sure what would work better: a highly skilled human who creates gadgets, or a mutant who can alter his powers. He could not change them in combat. Hmmmm...not sure, but I am in the right direction. I was thinking of calling him Hunter1.0. Any ideas?

Since you're thinking of calling him "Hunter 1.0," that name implies that he has the potential to be "upgraded." ;)

Here's a thought that just came to me. Hunter 1.0 can augment himself with special abilities to deal with a particular foe, not with technology but with gene-therapy serums with which he injects himself, temporarily giving him abilities based on various predatory animals: hawk's eyes, wolf's nose, tiger's claws, cheetah's legs, eagle's wings, shark's teeth and gills, etc.

I humbly suggest you check out my own Checkmate/Endgame. I did him for the old Character Posting Thread in response to a Batman-like character challenge. He's way over pointed for a PC, but some ideas might germinate.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6083&highlight=endgame

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Since you're thinking of calling him "Hunter 1.0," that name implies that he has the potential to be "upgraded." ;)

Here's a thought that just came to me. Hunter 1.0 can augment himself with special abilities to deal with a particular foe, not with technology but with gene-therapy serums with which he injects himself, temporarily giving him abilities based on various predatory animals: hawk's eyes, wolf's nose, tiger's claws, cheetah's legs, eagle's wings, shark's teeth and gills, etc.

L.L.,

I was going to tease you about naming him Kraven, but actually I kind of like your variation on the theme.:)

Hunter1,

My suggestion would be to go against type. Most people would expect a bounty hunter to be a rugged, ill-tempered, Lobo/Wolverine type. If I were making this character, I would give him more of a James Bond persona. (From the Novels, not so much the Movies, or Sean Connery more than, say, Roger Moore)

A cool, efficient, highly professional, hunter of Villains.

In a game system called "The Arcanum" (fantasy) they had various "hunter" character classes: Bounty Hunter, Witch Hunter, etc. They had abilities to help them knock out a target rather than kill. You could do something like this with NND attacks, Drains, various Entangles, etc.

In addition, you could take Martial Arts, with grappling, submission-type holds, NND strikes, and so on.

KA

Hunter,

What I would suggest is a character that can sense the sin level of their victims (Detect: Sin) and has max human physical stats. Maybe give him the "Evil thoughts" sense like the Shadow (Low Telepathy - only to sense "evil" thoughts) and maybe a few other mental powers (Penance stare? +30 PRE, only attack, Only Gaze?). I'd also give him some armor and maybe a weapon or martial art

Well what comes to my mind is a scientist who lost a loved one to super powered villiany and builds a super android bounty-hunter to get those loons behind bars where they belong.....How about +3 Combat RSR: KS:Supervillians as a nice Bats type skill, FW:With all attacks (11) only vs foes I've fought before (that payback, it's a m*ther) some martial brick/animae style stats and skills and a gadget pool that changes back at the lab, some Mental daf to protect against cyberkenetics and presto...:)

A good hunter needs "dogs".

Perhaps you could go with a "Master of the Hunt" angle.

use summon to call hell hounds, atomic robots or even heat seeking missiles. then the hunter picks up th remains of his quarry and eats it, or colects the bounty or does whatever it may be that he hunts people for.

How about a reverse; rather then a Hunter who seeks capable prey that might offer him a challenge, how about Prey that seeks out hunters to offer him challenge?

Think about this. Someone with powers or technology who goes out looking for the powerful alert and skilled types and makes them an offer. "Pick a place. Give me a two hour head start. Then try and get me." And then it's a matter not only of alluding the people after Him, but turning them against eachother, hunting them down, setting traps, etc.

This concept could also work with someone who stalks an individual, and then blackmails them/entices them to come hunt him down (Captures DNPCs, etc etc), and then thrills in the chase and turning it around on them.

One concept: A mentalist or creature that can possess, and thus stalks a target by jumping from body to body and seeing through the eyes aruond it's prey, using their bodies to hound and badger the quarry.

Also, you might not want to just work with a Single character; I remember a plot seed revolving around Fenris where some REAL werewolves want to stalk him. Taking from this example, I can build a few concepts out of a pack; one character with mind link and and hivemind powers able to coordinate everyone into attacking like one unit (like wolf packs do), another with exceeding tracking skills and endurance to find and chase prey, others who are skilled at ambushing and heeding prey via drains and such.

Yes, I am very big on Hunter type individuals.

Re: Help me build the first Hunter...

Originally posted by Hunter1

[Ahem]

Did that years ago. :D

Hunter is ateleporting martial artist who moonlights as a bounty hunter. And he's very good at it, since he can use his mind scan power to locate his targets.