Power as Characteristic tattoo power

jlc3721

I'm trying to build magic/mystic powers into tattoos that have some preparation required and at the same time have some limits to their uses...that are either temporary, or too steep a cost to continue with.  Building persistent powers into this idea has proven tough for me, as the idea is that the are woven or inserted into the tattoo, then expended later.  Instants are fine, build with a few charges.  Constant are fine as the require END and you don't want to use them forever.  However Characteristics as Powers and Resistant are both giving me a hard time to model well.  I'm using restrainable (-1/4) for the tattoos as they don't fit an OIF or IIF, and there's a couple of ways to make them inoperable in and out of combat.  For Heroic Fantasy.

1)  I tried building SPD 2 initially with just a time limit, but that was unsatisfying as it can be activated in the initial phase 12 and lasts the whole combat.  Doesn't seem a (-2 one minute time limit) is really a limitation like this.  SPD 2 (20AP) (-1/4) restrainable (tattoo can be marred, targeted etc), and 1 minute time limit (-2) gives a 6 CP real.  Time limit also should be used with powers that require some prep, like gestures or such.

2) So I tried one charge, that's recoverable

and we have 1 charge (-2), but move 3 levels down for 1 minute continuing charges, and another 2 levels for recoverable, so we have (-1/2).  Can be used once, but given some time outside of combat can recover the charge.  In this case it would be 30 seconds 'recharging" the energy stored in the tattoo.  No other actions allowed for those 30 seconds.  This is a 11pt real cost for more or less the same effect as one above., but slightly better theme as it requires an out of combat interval to re-use the hefty +2 SPD.

3) Extra time and delayed effect:

Now I'm building it like the potions in FH, but delayed effect normally requires a campaign restriction on # of powers active.  Extra time of one minute (-1 1/2) (to store or weave the mana into the tattoo) with delayed effect (+1/4) and we have 25 active, with a 9 real cost.  The 'resetting' or 'reloading' of the tattoo is better defined and then it sits ready to use, has an out of combat reload like #2 which I like.  BUT there's no limit on it once it's activated and could stay active forever.  I could try to put an END cost so it couldn't stay on forever, but delayed effect pay the END up front when you store it.

Any ideas on how to approach this would be appreciated.  #1 seems to cheap, #3 bends the rules a little, and again seems to be missing a key restriction for the idea, i.e., that it's temporary

You could go the route David Farland went with his RuneLords series.  In there,  anyone could use a rune to permanently gain another's ability through a long, complex ritual that requires permission from both parties. After the ritual is over, the party gains the ability and permanent responsibility of the grantor. If at any time the grantor is killed or dies, then the granted ability will be instantly lost from the recipient.  Hope that this proves to be a wonderful concept for you. 

• 1 month later...

Not the freshest thread, I know, but I have been considering this same idea and figured my solution could live here as well.

For characteristics, you use Aid as Boost. I would tack on the Standard Effect advantage to calculate the exact amount of points needed to boost to the desired level every single time it's used. Need 5 STR? That is 2d6 worth of Standard Effect, giving 5 points (you can choose for it to be slightly less than maximum SE, which would be 6). I would then tack on the disadvantages One Use at a Time (-1) and Aid Only Self (-1). I wouldn't even bother with any kind of Focus or simulation of damaging the tattoo. The player spent points on the tattoo and removing it from play should be more of a plot point than a built-in disadvantage.

On a similar but different subject...When I first saw the big facial picture of a Dwarf with a shaven head covered with tattoos in the D20 D&D book, I had the idea of a Dwarven spell caster who didn’t use a spell book but instead had all his spells tattooed on him. 
    His first spells when apprenticing were put on for him on places he couldn’t see or reach, his head, his back, the backs of his thighs, the backs of his upper arms, etc.   That left him more than enough space to do his own for spells learned now. 
    He still had the limitation of having to meditate on his spells to keep them current.  It was just a book that could never be taken away or destroyed....unless he got cut up or scarred.  

A modification from the Runequest Spirit Magic system simulation I did some years back...

Buy whatever base power you need (say, +1 SPD with one 5-minute Continuing Charge).

Then apply Usable By Others at (+1/4) to the base power with whatever limits you want as a Side Effect and other Limitations (like restrainable for the tattoos)