Grrr...I'm hating Windows 11.

unclevlad

For various reasons, decided it was time to upgrade.  The new box arrived early this afternoon.  OK, awesome!  Had the keyboard/mouse ready.  Find the right video cable...oh, good, glad I bought a bunch of different ones a long time ago, this one will work.

Fire it up.  Joy, rapture, BOOT!  Win 11 pro was pre-installed;  I dislike the hassle of loading drivers.

Great.  Set up the main account.

Wait.

What?

*(@&#$!@&#_&##$)#&$@#  
($*&@#(_$*&)(**^#$%_)(&%*&$*(!@#

(&!@#(&$_(@*&#$*!@)($*@)#(*%&%

On Windows 11, you MUST!!!!  log in via a Microsoft account.  No if, and, or buts.  NO workarounds.  100% REQUIRED.

Fine.  Lessee...I think...yeah, I have a Google account I set up but decided I didn't really need.  Fine, that's perfect.  

Oh, but connecting everything?  HOLY MOTHER OF GREMLINS, the security BS is *insane*.  Not just Microsoft, Google's too.  Email verifications.  Text message verification codes.  ARGH!!

That took WAY too long.  Fine, there it goes.

Next up...WTF are all these freaking WIDGETS?  You know how you can never, ever delete ALL of Facebook's Friends suggestions?  That's the feeds in the *@&#$ widgets.  First suggestion to shut them off...was written improperly.  Oh, THAT will do it.  ARGH!!!!!

So, ok, get Chrome.  Log in...more security BS.  But the good news is, that brought my password manager across...it's a Chrome extension.  And the password vault.  Cool.  That, as you can imagine, is essential.  

Start getting stuff...Java, Eclipse, Libre Office, la de da, this will be a while.  No big.  

But for a lot of stuff...both the old main box and this new one are sharing my 4-port switch, so they should be visible trivially.

But......guess what.  Windows 11 REALLY, REALLY wants any user login to have......yes indeed...a Microsoft account.  AAAAARGHHH!!!!!!  More obscenities follow.  Good thing I've got my beer poured.  Oh, ok, do it *that* obscure way, and no Microsoft account needed.  FINE.  

OK, there it goes.  Oh, have to tweak permissions.  Ugh.  But nothing new there.  Yay!!  Everything copied.  

Lots and lots more stuff to load and configure.  I so hate setting up a new, main box.  

That beer was most helpful.  North Coast Brother Thelonius.  YUMM.....

Thanks for the report.  I hadn't known about the M$ login requirement.  Looks like I'll decline the upgrade.

And then once I'm post-retirement I'll look into setting up the Linux box that'll never be connected to anything, ever, except thumb drives.

I've got Windows games that won't run properly in a shell.  And Linux has its own frustrations...but it also runs on a LOT less hardware.

The ID thing is retarded because, as a site pointed out, you can just create a throwaway.  Yeah, if you want to it?  There can be benefits, for sure.  Oh and I didn't mention but...it also requires that you have an active internet connection.  That site also said a LOT of people are seriously POd about it.

The whole freaking point is monetizing in more and more ways.  And let's be fair;  they aren't alone.  Apple's as bad.  Amazon Fires are as bad or worse.

Gads...another thing with 11.  Seriously intrusive security "alerts"  Like, had to turn off Firewall to share a folder.  ALERT!!  ALERT!!  Installing BitDefender...had a free license slot anyway.  Halfway up but not quite done...ALERT!!! ACTIVATE ANTI-VIRUS!! ALERT!!! ACTIVATE ANTI-VIRUS!!!! Damn it, I CAN'T JUST YET!!!  STUPID!! 

Good thing I only check my blood pressure in the morning.

CRT:  yeah, but I'm too concerned with the largely complete lack of security.  Plus, Win 7 won't run on anything close to recent hardware, so....that wouldn't work for me.  I did get a Win 7 laptop for a very specific reason but...that didn't work out.  I just dumped the Windows and put Linux Mint on it.