The Jolrhos Codex is on the shelf

Christopher R Taylor

I have completed and published the digital version of The Jolrhos Codex!  Its up on DriveThruRPG in the Hall of Champions section.  I hope to have it up here on Hero soon as well as in print.

The Codex is the rewrite of my old Fantasy Codex, with doublechecked math, new spells, streamlined layout and content, and specifically built to be for my Fantasy Hero campaign setting rather than generic.  Also added are Bard Songs and Priest rituals, as well as campaign rules for building spells.  As a result its slimmed down, but has more content.

The full spell builds (and NPCS, songs etc) are all in hdc files that are bundled with the book.  Because of this, there is no preview (I cannot figure out how to make a preview available with the zip bundle).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't bother with the sheet music or lyrics, just what the songs do.  Here's a quick overview:

All Bard Songs (all performances by bards are called "songs" even if they are spoken word or shouts) require ½ DCV concentration for a phase to start up.  They can be maintained without concentration, if the effect is constant.  You can mix songs, be each song you "weave" together is a penalty to the Performance Skill Roll (doing a mashup of two songs isn't as easy as performing one).  All songs use Mana at least to start performing.

There are four distinct categories of Bard Magic which a Bard can learn and use.

Harmonies: Songs that are able to be enhanced by an instrument for greater or more useful effect.  Harmonies have a useful, usually ongoing effect but when performed with an instrument become more powerful or effective (such as costing less Mana). 

Melodies: Songs that are fixed, they cannot be adjusted with an instrument, or already require an instrument.  These abilities are often short-term, but are set in their power and typically require an instrument to perform. 

Recitals: Spoken word; poems, stories, amusing anecdotes, odes, and so on.  This is the primary task of a Bard other than playing incidental music. No instruments at all are used in Recitals.

Shouts: Explosive sudden short phrases with magical power behind them such as the Great Shout (knock down and deafen), Throwing one’s voice, and Interrupts.  These require and take no instrument, and cannot be enhanced by the use of one.  Shouts are tremendous bursts of power which are quite loud and audible.

• 3 weeks later...

They should have been bundled with the pdf, but maybe that didn't get done on Hero, I will check into it.

I am hoping to soon get a print copy out.  I apologize for the wait but I am struggling with personal health and trying to coordinate home repairs, and getting this book in print while Drive Thru RPG's interface appears to have been designed by a demented howler monkey.

Hi Christopher 

The Codex mentions that it is a companion to the Jolrhos Player’s Guide but I can’t find that on Drivethru. 

I hope your health is improving. 

(Edit: Ignore this request as I've found the necessary info on Kestrel Arts webpage) 

Edited by MrAgdesh

• 8 months later...

The print version of the Jolrhos Codex is now available for sale everywhere, in color.  I recommend picking it up at the Hero Games store because that gives Hero the biggest slice of the pie (places like DriveThru are perfectly fine, but they take their cut).  The Hero Store bundle includes the pdf version as well as the HDC files of all the spells.

I apologize for the delay, it took a while to get the back cover finalized and the formatting just so for all the stores.