Hero System for FoundryVTT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also actively waiting for the complete Foundry (pay for import) Edition.  This is the most "shut up and take my money" that I've seen in a very long time.  I'm quite excited about it.  I've got my group to start thinking about Hero system again (they've played Champions and enjoy it), and will be running my next campaign in Hero (on Foundry, using the much awaited complete edition) when my current one ends.  Others at my table may beat me to it though.  I'm not alone at my table in eyeballing this pretty closely.

Edited by john j putnam

Absolutely. I hear you. The state of the world has created much to do for me professionally so I’m trying to prioritize and make more time for this. 

I’m sorry for the delay. I have drafted a roadmap that I will share soon, but I need some cycles to make sure it’s pointed in the right direction. 

If anyone is interested in joining the project as a project manager we might be able to accelerate. I thought I could spare the cycles to fulfill that role, but right now the demands on my day job has to take priority. 

DM me if interested and include any past projects or software project management you have done. We will talk and then if it makes sense, you will join the Legendsmiths team for this project. 

Ideally you would also be able to manage the Kickstarter campaigns we have coming up. 

This will be a paid position. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Breathing now. Back from Europe and closed out U-Con yesterday, so now I can start to focus again. Thank you for your patience.

I will be working on this over the holiday weekend.

Also, I have received no interest from anyone to take on the role of Project Manager for this. I was hoping to have someone from the Hero community to handle this to make sure it's done right.

I didn't reply because I don't have the skillset necessary.  Just you saying you want it done right gives assurance that it will be.

Roadmap would be lovely, kickstarter information (as well as any stretch goals so we know how much extra monies to give you) would be a holiday gift as well.

The roadmap will let us all cheer you on and build excitement towards it's eventual completion.  IMHO it doesn't need to have a timetable, just a roadmap.

Far as I'm concerned, you've already got my money, it just hasn't left yet.

Edited by john j putnam

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 9:18 PM, Carl Chmielewski said:

@Legendsmiths What modules would you recommend for Hero gaming stuff?

I’ve mentioned this before…but there is a fan-made unofficial system for Foundry for Hero System 5 and 6. You can even import HDC files from Hero Builder with it. It doesn’t have everything, but you can run combat with it. It’s very impressive for a volunteer project. 

1 hour ago, Juxtapozbliss said:

I’ve mentioned this before…but there is a fan-made unofficial system for Foundry for Hero System 5 and 6. You can even import HDC files from Hero Builder with it. It doesn’t have everything, but you can run combat with it. It’s very impressive for a volunteer project. 

I've been using this one as well. It definitely gets the job done.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest status. I'm trying to line up folks (still) to move this project along and even with a pay incentive, that isn't happening the way I would like.

As Hero fans I know we want really good tools and to see projects like this successful. However, I cannot move this further than I have on my own, regardless of funding, so I am going to continue to find folks that can make this happen and will share an update as soon as I have it.

@Carl Chmielewski in general, I keep modules to a minimum. I appreciate the tactical value of maps and movement, but I have discovered that often extra modules make things move more slowly than when playing analog. If tech can't make playing the game easier, then I try to avoid it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to signal significant interest in this project, and wish I had the coding skills to offer more support! I'm struggling with a heavy desire to run a Fantasy Hero game with my group, but due to a lack of good VTT support may need to settle for GURPS due to their impressive Foundry module.

Appreciate you're incredibly busy, but any news on whether you've progressed at all with the project? I understand there would be a plan for a Kickstarter full version after the Basic version was completed.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:37 PM, adamss said:

Just wanted to signal significant interest in this project, and wish I had the coding skills to offer more support! I'm struggling with a heavy desire to run a Fantasy Hero game with my group, but due to a lack of good VTT support may need to settle for GURPS due to their impressive Foundry module.

Appreciate you're incredibly busy, but any news on whether you've progressed at all with the project? I understand there would be a plan for a Kickstarter full version after the Basic version was completed.

I GMd my very first Champions 6e adventure last night. I used the unofficial Hero System Foundry module/system. It actually worked quite well, we had a great time. It has a few minor glitches in it but stuff easy to work around. The devs of it are still active on the Hero Discord channel, and they keep improving it regularly. And they do it as a labor of love! Seriously, they are not paid and they keep working on it. I encourage you to give it a try. It’s been cool to get back into this rule system that I haven’t played since high school. The whole infinitely-flexible-point-buy system blew my mind coming off of 1eAd&D. Even though I had to look up half the rules as we were playing, we still had a great time.

8 hours ago, Juxtapozbliss said:

I GMd my very first Champions 6e adventure last night. I used the unofficial Hero System Foundry module/system. It actually worked quite well, we had a great time. It has a few minor glitches in it but stuff easy to work around. The devs of it are still active on the Hero Discord channel, and they keep improving it regularly. And they do it as a labor of love! Seriously, they are not paid and they keep working on it. I encourage you to give it a try. It’s been cool to get back into this rule system that I haven’t played since high school. The whole infinitely-flexible-point-buy system blew my mind coming off of 1eAd&D. Even though I had to look up half the rules as we were playing, we still had a great time.

I'll try out a couple of combat encounters using it and see how everyone fares with it then! My worry is that some of the group are new to Hero (and TTRPGs in general), and without the automation found in a more developed Foundry system, may struggle.

Guess we'll find out. Thanks!

13 hours ago, adamss said:

I'll try out a couple of combat encounters using it and see how everyone fares with it then! My worry is that some of the group are new to Hero (and TTRPGs in general), and without the automation found in a more developed Foundry system, may struggle.

Guess we'll find out. Thanks!

YMMV, but my son's group used the aforementioned module for the first time and for their very first playtest of Hero, and found it helpful and easy to use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...