Hero System for FoundryVTT

Did a full combat today and discovered some key bugs that need to be squashed. Sorry, folks. We'll get it out soon.

The gang from Atomic Sky needed to deal with a gang of raiders before the raiders launch an attack on one of the comms the group protects. Things got a little dicey for them, but overall they owned it.

FoundryHeroinaction.thumb.png.b88f46bc208706fd5d742217b06efd68.png

A good bug is a squashed bug!

Nothing is perfect out of the gate, especially software. I'm looking forward to testing as many weird corner cases as I can. I'm even building a character with these corner cases just for testing. Obviously, I can't import it, but I'll have a correctly built character (as per HERO Basic and HERO Designer) to "build".

As there is currently an unofficial module (v2) that is currently in use by some, will it be possible to transition a foundry world from that module to this official module? Or will those worlds have to be rebuilt from scratch in this new module? I know this is more a limitation of Foundry than it is anything module related. The same question would go for the unpaid and paid versions of the module, if you make a world in the unpaid version, would it be possible to transition it to the paid version eventually?

Edited by DudeKicksButt

Based on my experience with Foundry, the short answer is no. I can't see a path to go from official to/from unofficial. However, I'm confident to go from Basic Offical to Complete Offical will be similar to the Savage Worlds (SWADE) setup. The Basic will be required to be installed and Complete will be an add-on module.

World transition should not be an issue from Basic to Complete.

There will be no world transition from Unofficial to Official. You should be able to export scenes, but actors and items will not carry over.

@johntaber the unoffical system has no relationship with the official one. Hero System Basic has not been released yet to the public.

2 hours ago, JohnTaber said:

I have just started playing heavily with Foundary and I was certainly confused.  I found the Hero 6th Game System but it said unofficial and it confused me.  Is that one this one?  Should I be installing that one or should I wait?

@JohnTaber

I would wait. Once both are out, you can decide based on your needs.

@Legendsmiths

Any update? Are all the (major) bugs squished?

I know I'm like a kid asking, "Are we there yet?". I just can't help myself. :)

Edited by techogre

Sorry for the delay. Extra cautious because once we code freeze, I lose some flexibility in modifications (bug fixes only until the next version is funded). I've loaded all the equipment from Hero Basic to validate some things and there are some tweaks I should have tomorrow and then we can shift it over to the public repository.

Thank you for your patience.

7 hours ago, RPMiller said:

I believe Mayor Scruffles may be my favorite.

He's a good boy. Taxes are low, but he's trying to take a bite out of crime. 

I cannot wait to start using the new module. We're using the unofficial one, and it's got a lot of problems. 

On 8/21/2023 at 8:44 AM, JohnTaber said:

I have just started playing heavily with Foundary and I was certainly confused.  I found the Hero 6th Game System but it said unofficial and it confused me.  Is that one this one?  Should I be installing that one or should I wait?

I've been using the Unofficial module for several months now. If you join the Hero System Discord channel, you will find all the answer about it that you need. It's a very active group on Discord, and they also often respond to games rules questions in realtime. A very helpful group in general with lots of threads. While the current Foundry Hero System module is "unofficial," the developer who has taken it over is very active on Discord and has been extremely responsive to issues. When I'm playing with it and find something that doesn't work, he usually fixes it in just a few days. It's been a labor of love for an unpaid Hero System player who happens to be a great coder. While I'm looking forward to the official versions and seeing what it provides, I have to say the Unofficial version is pretty dang good. Not perfect by any means, there are a number of things that don't work (for example, I don't believe Drain powers are automated) many powers are automated. You select an enemy with an attack, you click to hit, it tells you if it hit their DCV then you can click to roll damage and then apply damage to that target and the Body and Stun are automatically deducted minus any defenses. It can even group attack with an AOE. etc. He's done a great job as a volunteer. I'm impressed with it. 

On 8/22/2023 at 2:18 PM, techogre said:

A perfectly valid highjacking. Five stars! Thumbs up! Well played!

Why, thank you. I update that archive every day. I've got hundreds of generations each month, so requests are welcome. Your validation means a lot to me.