Extend or Contract an object

Black Rose

I'm not sure how to express this one but let's go anyway.

I want a power build that allows me to extend or contract an object along one (or more) dimensions. So, make a rope longer, shrink a ladder, yadda yadda. For extending I could see Stretching UAA, but not for contracting. I could go the Transform route, but I like that to be more of a last choice. USPD is irritatingly void on answers, at least to my searches. Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Edited by Black Rose
typo

In all honesty transform is going probably going to be your best bet.  From the sounds of it this would be a minor transform so it will only cost 5pts per die.  Changing a dagger into a sword is one of the examples under minor transform.  Transform also has the improved result group so one power would allow you to do both.  You should only need to buy it at the +1/4 level to get what you want.  

On 8/4/2023 at 9:17 AM, Grailknight said:

Will this be for personal items only or any item you come across? What are the largest and smallest items you can change? Can you lengthen one wall of a building to block off pursuit down an alley or shorten a bridge and cause a collapse?

Any item they come across. The source material has the energy cost based per pound, but also has the cost recurring every Hour, so I'm not too worried there. The examples given are shortening/scaling up a rope and a blade, with another mention that doing this to clothes would make them unwearable. 

On 8/4/2023 at 9:34 AM, LoneWolf said:

In all honesty transform is going probably going to be your best bet.  From the sounds of it this would be a minor transform so it will only cost 5pts per die.  Changing a dagger into a sword is one of the examples under minor transform.  Transform also has the improved result group so one power would allow you to do both.  You should only need to buy it at the +1/4 level to get what you want.  

On 8/4/2023 at 11:17 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I hate to say it but yeah, transform is the cleanest way to do it.  If its very temporary, you can use shrink and growth usable on others, but that lasts only as long as you maintain the power.

I think you and LoneWolf are right. Probably how I'm going to roll with it, since I can't figure a non-Transform way to do the opposite of Stretching, UOO.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:23 PM, unclevlad said:

Stretching.  6E1 284, right column...the 5 point adder.  Double 1 dimension by halving another.

As Grail notes, what's the intent?  You need some form of UOO to affect an object, but you shouldn't need UAA unless you want to affect an unwilling person.

But then, how do I create the opposite effect? Stretching, UOO -- assuming that doing it to objects is "legal" -- would be perfect for one half of what I want.

Yeah its not an outrageous theory to say that stretching necessarily includes contraction; it has to be in order to simulate what is done in the comics.  And, in fact, the rules do presume the ability to contract, as long as the overall cubic spaces is roughly maintained:

A character’s ability to fit through small spaces when using Stretching is governed by his smallest dimension. For example, if he can reduce his height to one-eighth normal, he can be as little as 25 centimeters tall and can fit into openings as small as 25cm

I'd be skeptical if someone used stretching to force someone into a smaller overall package than their ordinary size, though.  Contract an arm to a tenth its normal length sure, but not overall.

First, the power doesn't say you can contract *part* of you, it says you adjust a dimension.  "Arms" is not a dimension.

Second, why would someone want to contract their arms?  Makes no sense.

Last, the point is that when you stretch to, let's say, 4x your normal height, your hips and shoulders (width and depth) get reduced.  What're the standard dimensions...2m height/length, 1/2 m width (shoulders), maybe 1/4 m for depth?  With the adder, 4x height lets you knock these down to 1/4 m and 1/8 m.

Second, why would someone want to contract their arms?  Makes no sense.

It is a necessary part of the power to be able to contract after stretching out.  When Elongated Man stretches 40 feet to grab a criminal's gun, he doesn't leave them stretched out, they contract to their normal size.