2024 Baseball Thread

Pariah

It's only a couple of weeks until pitchers and catchers report, so I'm starting a new baseball thread for 2024. In our first story of the new year:

2024 Baseball Hall of Fame voting results: Adrián Beltré leads class alongside Joe Mauer and Todd Helton

Helton becomes only the second Hall of Fame with the Rockies cap, following Larry Walker. It took him six years to reach the 75% threshold.

The Orioles are being sold.  The 2 principal owners are private equity billionaires.  There are minority owners as well, including Cal Ripken...no surprise there.

The sale's being staged, apparently, as Peter Angelos, the owner of record, is 94, and not in great health.  There are tax concerns;  it saves apparently a big chunk if the bulk is sold after Mr. Angelos dies.

54 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

... There are tax concerns;  it saves apparently a big chunk if the bulk is sold after Mr. Angelos dies.

Assuming one particular aspect of inheritance law is similar in my state as in Maryland, if Angelos sells while alive, then he gets taxed on the profits made over his entire ownership (that is, the raw dollars number of current value [price he sells at] minus basis value [price he bought at], with no adjustment for inflation or anything.  Once the legally owning entity changes (i.e. it goes from Angelos to estate of Angelos) then the new owning entity gets the current value as a stepped-up basis and that profit-over-time tax is null.

I dunno, I think the A's probably belong in Vegas at this point, with their sister (in dysfunctionality) franchise, the Raiders.  

Her comment does make sense, in that the Strip's already a traffic nightmare.  There's an article on the closing of the Trop, in the SF Chronicle...at one time, one of the jewels in the Sin City crown.  They note, the ballpark is only gonna be on 9 acres.  That's roughly 600' x 600'...SMALL, by the time you consider the stands.  It honestly doesn't sound like an optimal location...unless there's backroom deals and other things going on.

EDIT:  side point about the Trop...their top show is...Rich Little.  (And apparently, even that is mostly a retrospective.)

Anyone under the age of 40 know who that is?  Us crusty old farts likely do, but we don't count for this.

I know who he is. I just don't remember anything he did that was especially funny....

Given what's happening in Northern Virginia with the Capitals' new arena plans being stymied by local opposition, it could be that Vegas decided they know a scam when they see one (which they probably do at least thirty times an hour, because Vegas). And while the NHL's Golden Knights have been a resounding success on and off the ice, I'm not quite sure what to make of the Vegas Raiders or the Vegas Super Bowl.