THE TURAKIAN AGE -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

One very fleshed out area.

I personally would like to see atleast one smaller area detailed. It is great to have what contries are on what continents, but having a place that with little effort I can start adventuring from is imho essential.

Giving details about the people, loacations and motives behind it all. This could be a small nation, province or even a sole village that give names of shops, inns, inportant people and events. For me this will help me start using the product right away and if I use the product I will buy follow up material.

Having a good maps of the various locations would also be great.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for the input, guys! I'm about to start writing, so I appreciate the suggestions.

One caveat: leaving aside potentially contradictory suggestions, Markdoc's observation is right on the money: as a whole, the thread asks for way more than I can comfortably fit in any one book. I'll do my best to cover all the crucial and important subjects, but I have neither the time nor the resources to turn this into an 800-page tome. ;)

If the setting proves popular enough for his predicted run of supplements, so much the better. ;) At the very least I plan to do an enemies book to supplement whatever NPCs the book includes.

Rest assured the book will include plenty of maps. I haven't spent the last two weeks drawing them all out in Campaign Cartographer just to let them go to waste. ;)

Originally posted by Steve Long

Rest assured the book will include plenty of maps. I haven't spent the last two weeks drawing them all out in Campaign Cartographer just to let them go to waste. ;)

Hmmm, that makes one wonder if it'd be possible to get/buy the CC versions of the maps?

It might not be cost effective, but my wife for one would like to have a CC version...

D

This one probably falls under the header "The Department of Duh" -- and in fact was probably one of the first things you devoted to the manuscript, Steve -- but I'll say it anyway.

Please explain early in the book -- in the Introduction, if possible -- the reason it's called the Turakian Age. (Yes, I know it's probably derived from the name Kal-Turak, the name used by Takofanes back in those days, but it would help to spell it out. Some gamers can be pretty dense, y'know. :))

Hmmm, that makes one wonder if it'd be possible to get/buy the CC versions of the maps?

Hmmm, probably not. As CC2 maps go, they're pretty pathetic; I prepare them so the artist can actually create something cool-looking from them. Sadly, I'm not nearly as versed with CC2 as I'd like to be, and my work definitely betrays that. ;)

As CC2 maps go, they're pretty pathetic; I prepare them so the artist can actually create something cool-looking from them. Sadly, I'm not nearly as versed with CC2 as I'd like to be, and my work definitely betrays that. ;)

Mine are the same way. But that's what miracle workers like Lisa Hartjes are for. ;)

Hmmm, probably not. As CC2 maps go, they're pretty pathetic; I prepare them so the artist can actually create something cool-looking from them. Sadly, I'm not nearly as versed with CC2 as I'd like to be, and my work definitely betrays that. ;)

Drat, but understandible. Thanks anyways.

D

Admittedly, I pick up a new setting book because the Maps draw me. For example, as much as I enjoy Monte Cook's work, the maps from Arcana Unearthed do not motivate me enough to buy the book. On the other hand, I will always buy a Hârn product for the maps alone!

1)Maps need to be good and not just world maps, but regional or city/village maps as well.

2)Climate. I'm not saying weather tables, but a general idea of seasons and precipatation for various regions.

3)Tie-ins with other genres since we have the Hero Universe history

4)Economics. Especially the influence of magic on economics

5)If there are alot of sentient races...where did they come from and where did they go. I've always disliked "the intelligent race around every mountain" paradigm in most fantasy games. It just doesn't make sense, IMO.

6)History and Politics, with lots of adventure seeds. If the PCs are to be movers and shakers in the world, there needs to be an avenue to explore how the players will do this. Saying this, a timeline is super handy.

I think that's all that I can think of for now.