Monster/Race: Kobold

Hierax

Here's the first rough draft write-up of the very weakest of the standard humanoid races -- Kobolds (evil's 3' tall answer to gnomes):I welcome any suggestions that you may have on how I can improve this write-up... and I'm just plain curious how other folks would write-up these staple fodder wimps.Kobold (Standard 50 Point Warrior)

Val Char Cost
5 STR -5
10 DEX 0
10 CON 0
4 BODY -12
8 INT -2
8 EGO -4
8 PRE -2
8 COM -1
2 PD 1
2 ED 0
2 SPD 0
3 REC 0
20 END 0
12 STUN 0
3" RUN-61" SWIM-11" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: -32
Cost Power END
1 Scaly Skin: Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED)
6 Fangs/Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (0 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-1/4)
6 +2 PER with all Sense Groups
15 Infrared Perception (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze
13 Subsonic Perception (Hearing Group), Discriminatory, Analyze
5 Tracking with Normal Smell
5 Tail: Extra Limb (1)
13 Shrinking (0.475 m tall, 1.625 kg mass, -2 PER Rolls to perceive character, +2 DCV, takes +3" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)
1 Life Support (Longevity 135 Years)
Powers Cost: 65
Cost Skill
5 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Sling
0 Language: Kobold (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
1 Language: Goblin, Orc, or Hobgoblin (basic conversation)
3 Concealment 11-
3 Stealth 11-
2 Survival 11-
1 Teamwork 8-
1 AK: Lair and Surrounding Territory 8-
1 Tracking 8-
Skills Cost: 17
Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
20 Kobold Normal Characteristic Maxima
5 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Gnomes (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Psychological Limitation: Sadistic Trickster (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Physical Limitation: Diminutive (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
5 Reputation: Cowardly but Trickey Wimps, 8-
5 Susceptibility to Sunlight or Very Bright Light: , -1 to CV Instant (Uncommon)
Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 0Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 50

Height: 0.95 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 13.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: 3' tall with scaly hides and a tail, vaguely reptillian, dog-like, and rat-like at the same time.Personality: Sadism, Cruel Humour, Survival.Quote:Background: Kobolds are amongst the longest lived but the weakest of all the humanoid races. As such, they survive only by being aware of dangers and either staying out of the way or ganging up against a threat. As they can’t rely on physical force to defeat their enemies they must resort to all means of trickery, they aren’t very smart but they are cunning and don’t play fair. One weapon strike can take out pretty much any Kobold. Because of these things, I’ve given Kobolds excellent perception abilities, and a number of skills to make up for their small size and innate weakness in combat.

Sources

- 1e-MM.57-58; 2e-MM.214; 3e-MM.123-124; Dragon Magazine story about "Tucker's Kobolds".

- Kobolds compare in power roughly to "Ratlings" MMM.90

Powers/Tactics: Tricks, Traps, Ambush, Swarming, Hit and Run (emphasis on Run), False Retreats into Ambushes and Traps. In short, by any dirty and unfair means necessary.Campaign Use: When you need the smallest, weakest, and most numerous sword fodder Kobolds are the first answer. If you want something tougher, Goblins are next up the humanoid line. Weaker is hard to find, but Jermalaine are probably the best bet.

Possible Skills

Animal Handler -- Giant Weasel or Boar (some)

AK: Lair and surrounding territory

Breakfall (some, roll w/ the punches)

Bribery (some)

Climbing

Familiarity -- Common Melee Weapons

Familiarity -- Common Missile Weapons

KS: various

Language -- Celbit

Language -- Jebline (75% chance)

Language -- Euroz (75% chance)

Lockpicking (some)

Mimicry (some)

Riding -- Boar or Giant Weasel (some)

Shadowing

Stealth

Streetwise (some in Molag or Dorakaa)

Survival -- Subterranean

Survival -- Forest

Tactics (leaders)

Tracking (some)

Transport Familiarity -- Giant Weasels or Boars (some)

Ventriloquist (some)

Weapon Familiarity -- various (most)

Weaponsmith (some)

Variations (for Pre-Fab add-ons):

- Animal Handlers for weasels, boars, rats, etc.

- Guards: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV),

- Leader: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV), +1 BODY (5 total)

- Bodyguard: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV), +3 BODY (7 total)

- Chieftain: +2 CSL (all combat, 5 OCV), +6 BODY (10 total)

- Shaman: (D&DG 110, DMG 40) “Kobold shamans always wear orange robes with a white death’s-head sigil on the chest. They can rise up to the 5th level of clerical ability.†(i.e., 50-point Power Pool) +d4hp/level after 1st, +1HD/THAC0 per 2 levels. = 5th level +4d4hp (5d4hp total ~10 BODY), +2 OCV (5 OCV total).

- Witchdoctor: (DMG 40) up to 2nd level as magicuser and 5th level as cleric.

- Monks: Kobold/Celbit Martial Arts: vital strikes, dodging attacks, ganging up, etc. fast and tricksy; actually able to make tail prehensile!

Suggestions for your write up :

5 points on weapon familiarities is pretty broad, especially if you're trying to trim points. Have you considered having them specialize more? Give them familiarity with only one melee and one missile weapon, each chosen from a list of possibilities, and save 3 points.

If the tail is not prehensile at all (like a cat's or a dog's tail) I wouldnt bother buying it as an extra limb. Save 5 points. If it is prehensile enough to do basic grab/grip type stuff (like a new world monkey's tail) but -not- so prehensile as to be able to do something like picking up a grain of wheat, or effectively wield a weapon (it is even worse than one's "off hand"), then you should put a "no fine manipulation" on the extra limb (-1/2) and save 2 points.

They are considerably smaller and weaker than other humanoids you have written up, yet their claws are equally effective (1/2 d6 Killing, with STR) To simulate a smaller, weaker claw attack that still requires exertion on their part, consider rewriting the claw attack as a 1 pip RKA with no range, special effect being that it is a sub-1 pip HKA that gets brought up to a full pip when they add their STR. Save 3 points.

Hero System Kobold

Very good!

I'll be using these babies in my own Fantasy Hero Ccampaign.

Only one real complaint. If you have read "Tucker's Kobolds" (or the AD&D Monster Manual for that fact), then you know that Kobolds have average human intelligence. That would put them at 10 instead of 8.

The tail, not being a extra limb, is a good suggestion also.

By the way, I ran a party of 5th, 6th and 7th level characters up against twenty Kobolds once. The Kobolds were straight out of the book with random treasure. The PC's lost. Over half of them were killed. Thank you Tucker!! You proved that weak stats don't mean near instant death.

Actually, 8 is closer to the human norm for intelligence. 10 is the norm for heroic chaacters. Small point though.

I also agree that 5 points on weapons is too many for Kobolds. they mainly use short swords and occasionally flimsy short bows. 2 points is probably enough.

Kobolds again eh?http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9132&highlight=KoboldHere's a reprise on my version:

Killer ShrikeHeres a few Templates for using Kobolds as antagonists:
Basic Kobold Skulker
15 Kobold
45 Backbiter (Exclude Stealth & Concealment from Advanced Move Silently 3 Round Speed Off 12 +4 DEX 75 Total

Basic Kobold Ambusher
15 Kobold
54 Light Foot (Exclude Warrior Elite Perk; Chosen Weapon = Javelin or Short Bow or Short Sword (33% chance of either) 4 +2 BODY 2 +2 STR 75 Total

Basic Kobold Adept
15 Kobold
55 Gifted(Medium Group for Reputation is Neighboring Kobold Tribes) 5 +5 INT 75 Total

Basic Kobold Priest of Kurtulmak
15 Kobold
22 Dedicated (Exclude Literacy) 20 Law Domain 18 Trickery Domain (Exclude Trickster Stealth) 75 Total

RE: Hierax's Kobolds: All looks good except for the tail. Though they have tails, since it doesnt actually do anything for them, not being prehensile or sturdy enough to use as a weapon, I dont really see the point of making them pay for it -- its just a cosmetic feature -- all part of their Distinctive Feature basically.

In my campaign world Kobolds bred really fast, and, through some anomalies of genetics (or divine design) bred young that turned out to be either highly intellegent (10%) or absolutely, fanatically loyal to the pack/race (90%). All kobolds would think of their group first and themselves later (if at all). It made them pretty scary opponents, despite their diminuitive size.

Being small and weak, my kobolds tended to avoid melee unless they had an extreme advantage in numbers, or could put their foes at a significant disadvantage first. As they also tended to be rather poorly provided with metals, their typical weapons were slings, bows, bolas, nets, and thrusting spears/pikes. Poison was also -very- common (pretty much universal, on any blood drawing weapon) among them. The poisons would vary from the extremely deadly down to stuff so weak that it isnt -really- a poison so much as a contamination that ensures any wounds they deliver will become infected if left to heal naturally. Kobolds also sometimes reserve special weapons for special circumstances. One incident involved scaring off some adventurers by having the whole village turn out, with each and every Kobold carrying a liquid filled glass bottle with a flaming rag stuffed in the top. Now, they might not have been filled with greek fire, or even lamp oil. But the possibility of getting a hundred molotovs thrown at you does tend to have an off-putting effect.

Originally posted by Outsider

In my campaign world Kobolds bred really fast, and, through some anomalies of genetics (or divine design) bred young that turned out to be either highly intellegent (10%) or absolutely, fanatically loyal to the pack/race (90%). All kobolds would think of their group first and themselves later (if at all). It made them pretty scary opponents, despite their diminuitive size.

Being small and weak, my kobolds tended to avoid melee unless they had an extreme advantage in numbers, or could put their foes at a significant disadvantage first. As they also tended to be rather poorly provided with metals, their typical weapons were slings, bows, bolas, nets, and thrusting spears/pikes. Poison was also -very- common (pretty much universal, on any blood drawing weapon) among them. The poisons would vary from the extremely deadly down to stuff so weak that it isnt -really- a poison so much as a contamination that ensures any wounds they deliver will become infected if left to heal naturally. Kobolds also sometimes reserve special weapons for special circumstances. One incident involved scaring off some adventurers by having the whole village turn out, with each and every Kobold carrying a liquid filled glass bottle with a flaming rag stuffed in the top. Now, they might not have been filled with greek fire, or even lamp oil. But the possibility of getting a hundred molotovs thrown at you does tend to have an off-putting effect.

Sounds interesting. If you could put togther a package or a write up, that would be tres cool too :D

Kobolds (Hieraxian) Draft 2I've revised myKobold write-up, taking into account the above feedback and versions, the second draft is appended below.Tail - just cosmetic now. Though I'll have some divinely inspired mutants with Prehensile Tails with poison stingers like the Kobold god.Intelligence: xDnD Kobolds are smarter than a lot of the bigger sword-fodder humanoids like Orcs, Kobolds "Average" INT, which is 8-10 ("Low" INT is 5-7 which I convert to Hero as 6 for things like Goblins, Orcs, Ogres, Hill Giants). The difference between 8 and 10 is small since the Skill roll is the same and the 2 points are needed for other things, like skills - say Familiarity with Teamwork and Tactics which makes them effectively "smarter" than if they just had 10 INT. They really don't need to be smarter than the average man, just cunning and using good tactics. Presence: looking at the list of skills that are PRE-based I'm not convinced that Kobolds need more PRE.Claw Attack: I'm going to keep this the same because Kobolds unarmed damage in xDnD is the same as a Dagger (1-4), so I'm going to stick with the 1/2d6 HKA but giving it "Reduced Penetration" makes it pretty weak (they'll have a hard time clawing through leather armor) already and gives the little blighters plenty of reason to use weapons, but still gives them something reasonable against the unarmoured.Tucker's Kobolds: I re-read it, FYI, it is in DRAGON #127 I've got an electronic text copy if anyone is interested.I couldn't get them down to the 25-point mark without loosing some of the feel so they still weigh-in at 50 points.Kobold (50 Points)

Val Char Cost
5 STR -5
10 DEX 0
10 CON 0
4 BODY -12
8 INT -2
8 EGO -4
8 PRE -2
8 COM -1
2 PD 1
2 ED 0
2 SPD 0
3 REC 0
20 END 0
12 STUN 0
3" RUN-61" SWIM-11" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: -32
Cost Power END
10 Small and Hard To Hit: +2 with DCV
6 Fangs/Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (0 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-1/4)
6 Hyper Alert: +2 PER with all Sense Groups
10 Infrared Perception (Sight Group), Discriminatory
8 Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group), Discriminatory
5 Snout: Tracking with Normal Smell
1 Tireless: Naked Modifier - on 5 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (1 Active Points)
1 Life Support (Longevity 135 Years)
8 Durable: Life Support (Immunity Viral Infections; Immunity Bacterial Infections; Immunity Zootoxins; Immunity Phytotoxins; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (17 Active Points); Limited Power (Only 50% Effect From) (-1)
2 Deprived: Life Support (Custom Adder; Eating Character only has to eat once per week; Sleeping Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week)
Powers Cost: 58
Cost Skill
0 WF: Clubs, Fist-Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat
3 WF - Choice of 3 points worth or Default of: Blades, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Polearms and Spears
1 Language: Goblin, Orc, Hobgoblin, or Common (basic conversation)
1 AK: Lair and Surrounding Territory 8-
1 Climbing 8-
1 Concealment 8-
3 +2 with Concealment (4 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)
2 PS: Dungeon Commando (Fighter/Thief) 11-
1 Shadowing 8-
1 Stealth 8-
4 +2 with Stealth
2 Survival 11-
1 Tactics 8-
1 Teamwork 8-
1 Tracking 8-
1 KS: Traps 8-
Skills Cost: 24
Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima - Kobold
5 Psychological Limitation: Aversion to Sunlight (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Gnomes (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Psychological Limitation: Sadistic Trickster (Uncommon, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Timid Common, Moderate
5 Physical Limitation: Small, down to half human size (1m, or 1/2"; +3" KB) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing
5 Physical Limitation: suffers -2 to all Sight PER Rolls in sunlight or bright light (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
5 Reputation: Cowardly but Trickey Wimps, 8-
10 Susceptibility to Sunlight or Very Bright Light: , -1 to CV Instant (Common)
Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 0Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 50

Cost Equipment END
4 Dagger (Kobold-Sized Short Sword): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: Can Be Thrown]
5 Sword, Short (Kobold-Sized Longsword): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
6 Sword, Broad (Kobold-Sized Greatsword): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.
Height: 0.91 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 15.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: 3' tall with scaly hides and a tail, vaguely reptillian, dog-like, and rat-like at the same time.Personality: Sadism, Cruel Humour, Survival.Quote:Background: Kobolds are amongst the longest lived but the weakest of all the humanoid races. As such, they survive only by being aware of dangers and either staying out of the way or ganging up against a threat. As they can’t rely on physical force to defeat their enemies they must resort to all means of trickery, they aren’t very smart but they are cunning and don’t play fair. One weapon strike can take out pretty much any Kobold. Because of these things, I’ve given Kobolds excellent perception abilities, and a number of skills to make up for their small size and innate weakness in combat.

Sources

- RC.187; 1e-MM.57-58, DMG.40; 2e-MM.214, CBoH.38-40; 3e-MM.123-124.

- "Tucker's Kobolds" Dragon.127.3+88.

- Kid on Aliens

Powers/Tactics: Tricks, Traps, Ambush, Swarming, Hit and Run (emphasis on Run), False Retreats into Ambushes and Traps. In short, by any dirty and unfair means necessary.

Weapons (typical):

5% short sword and javelin

10% short sword and spear

10% shortsword

20% axe

30% spiked wooden club

15% javelins (2-3)

10% spear

Campaign Use: When you need the smallest, weakest, and most numerous sword fodder Kobolds are the first answer. If you want something tougher, Goblins are next up the humanoid line. Weaker is hard to find, but Jermalaine are probably the best bet.

Possible Skills

Animal Handler -- Giant Weasel or Boar (some)

AK: Lair and surrounding territory

Breakfall (some, roll w/ the punches)

Bribery (some)

Climbing

Familiarity -- Common Melee Weapons

Familiarity -- Common Missile Weapons

KS: various

Language -- Celbit

Language -- Jebline (75% chance)

Language -- Euroz (75% chance)

Lockpicking (some)

Mimicry (some)

Riding -- Boar or Giant Weasel (some)

Shadowing

Stealth

Streetwise (some in Molag or Dorakaa)

Survival -- Subterranean

Survival -- Forest

Tactics (leaders)

Tracking (some)

Transport Familiarity -- Giant Weasels or Boars (some)

Ventriloquist (some)

Weapon Familiarity -- various (most)

Weaponsmith (some)

Variations for Pre-Fab Add-Ons:

- Guards: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV), ~ Goblin 2/40

- Leader: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV), +1 BODY (5 total) 1/40 ~ Goblin or Orc

- Bodyguard: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV), +3 BODY (7 total) 2/Chief ~ Goblin or Hobgoblin

- Chieftain: +2 CSL (all combat, 5 OCV), +6 BODY (10 total) 1/Lair ~ Hobgoblin or Gnoll

- Shaman: (D&DG 110, DMG 40) “Kobold shamans always wear orange robes with a white death’s-head sigil on the chest. They can rise up to the 5th level of clerical ability.†(i.e., 50-point Power Pool) +d4hp/level after 1st, +1HD/THAC0 per 2 levels. = 5th level +4d4hp (5d4hp total ~10 BODY), +2 OCV (5 OCV total).

- Witchdoctor: (DMG 40) up to 2nd level as magicuser (up to 20 Active Points) and 5th level as cleric (50 Active Points).

- Monks: Kobold/Celbit Martial Arts: vital strikes, dodging attacks, ganging up, etc. fast and tricksy; actually able to make tail prehensile!

- Urd: Wings = Flying 7"/15"

Re: Kobolds (Hieraxian) Draft 2

Originally posted by Hierax

Tail - just cosmetic now. Though I'll have some divinely inspired mutants with Prehensile Tails with poison stingers like the Kobold god.

Well, if you are going to be a D&D-file, kobolds wouldn't have these tails. I don't know why people are so D&D focused - The Hero System offers alot more versatility then D&D, and offers the framework to build better characters. Though I can say I don't like the character designs put forth, most of the time.

Intelligence: xDnD Kobolds are smarter than a lot of the bigger sword-fodder humanoids like Orcs, Kobolds "Average" INT, which is 8-10 ("Low" INT is 5-7 which I convert to Hero as 6 for things like Goblins, Orcs, Ogres, Hill Giants). The difference between 8 and 10 is small since the Skill roll is the same and the 2 points are needed for other things, like skills - say Familiarity with Teamwork and Tactics which makes them effectively "smarter" than if they just had 10 INT. They really don't need to be smarter than the average man, just cunning and using good tactics.

Thats AD&D, 3.5 has them alot smarter (10 INT, I believe).

Presence: looking at the list of skills that are PRE-based I'm not convinced that Kobolds need more PRE.

I can't say they do.

Tucker's Kobolds: I re-read it, FYI, it is in DRAGON #127 I've got an electronic text copy if anyone is interested.

Never heard of these.

I think that Urd and Monk kobolds are cheesy. Monks are far too sophisticated a class for kobolds to belong to. Urds are just a pandering by game creators to make higher-powered kobolds, in my book. Give me the straight (and clever) kobolds, with roguish tendencies, and trap mastery.

• 1 month later...

Kobolds (Hieraxian) Draft 3OK, I worked in most of the above comments as well as tweaking some things that no one mentioned and managed to still get the lowly Kobold down to a mere 25 points!Hieraxian Kobold (3rd Draft):Printable Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) File:    http://www.hierax.com/hero/fantasy/grey/monster/kobold.pdfEditable Hero Designer Character (.HDC) File:    http://www.hierax.com/hero/fantasy/grey/monster/kobold.hdcKobold (25 Points)

Val Char Cost
5 STR -5
10 DEX 0
10 CON 0
4 BODY -12
8 INT -2
8 EGO -4
5 PRE -5
6 COM -2
2 PD 1
2 ED 0
2 SPD 0
3 REC 0
20 END 0
12 STUN 0
4" RUN-41" SWIM-11" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: -34
Cost Power END
10 Small and Hard To Hit: +2 with DCV and Sight PER Rolls
0 Claws/Fangs: Can use 5 STR as Killing Attack = 1 pip HKA (total no STR Bonus)
6 Hyper Alert: +2 PER with all Sense Groups
3 Darkvision: +4 PER with Normal Sight (4 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Counteract Darkness Modifiers (-1/2)
1 Darksight: Sight Group Flash Defense (2 points) (2 Active Points); Limited Power (Only vs. Darkness-based Attacks) (-1)
3 Keen Hearing: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group)
5 Snout: Tracking with Normal Smell
2 Stench Guard Snout/Tasteless Tongue: Smell/Taste Group Flash Defense (2 points)
2 Thin Air Adapted Lungs: Life Support (END Per Minute) (Extended Breathing 1 END per Minute)
5 Disease Resistant: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents) (10 Active Points); 50% Immunity, Only 50% Effect From. (-1)
5 Poison Resistant: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents) (10 Active Points); 50% Immunity, Only 50% Effect From. (-1)
2 Temperature Resistant: Life Support (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (4 Active Points); 50% Immunity, Only 50% Effect From. (-1)
0 Longevity: Long-Lived 135 Years
Powers Cost: 45
Cost Skill
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
0 Acting 8-
0 Climbing 8-
0 Concealment 8-
3 +2 with Concealment (4 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)
0 Conversation 8-
0 Deduction 8-
0 AK: Lair and Surrounding Territory 8-
0 KS: Kobold Culture, History, Religion, etc. 8-
0 KS: Traps and Tricks 8-
2 +2 with KS: Traps and Tricks
0 KS: Weaponsmithing - Makeshift Weapons 8-
0 Language: Goblin, Orc, Hobgoblin, or Common (basic conversation; Custom Adder)
0 Language: Draconic (basic conversation; Custom Adder)
0 Paramedics (Healing) 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
0 PS: Dungeon/Forest Commando (Fighter/Thief) 8-
0 PS: Mining or Forestry 8-
1 +1 with PS: Mining or Forestry
0 Shadowing 8-
0 Stealth 8-
4 +2 with Stealth
0 Survival 8-
0 Tactics 8-
0 Teamwork 8-
0 Tracking 8-
0 TF - Giant Boars or Weasels: Custom Adder, Other
Skills Cost: 14
Cost Equipment END
4 Dagger (Kobold-Sized Short Sword): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: Can Be Thrown]
5 Sword, Short (Kobold-Sized Longsword): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
6 Sword, Broad (Kobold-Sized Greatsword): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
5 Stiletto: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (25 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum (-1/4) [Notes: Can Be Thrown]
8 Baton: Energy Blast 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
11 Club: Energy Blast 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
14 Javelin: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2) (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: Can Be Thrown]
18 Spear: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: Can Be Thrown]
11 Axe, Hand (Hatchet): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: Can Be Thrown]
11 Axe, Small: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
8 Mace, Small: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
7 Pick, Small: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
6 Hammer, Small: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1, +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (17 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.
Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Kobold, 3' tall dog-like reptillian with red-orange eyes, rusty hued scaly skin, horns, and a tail (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10 Hunted: Humanoid-Haters 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima - Kobold
0 NCM: 10 STR, 20 DEX, 20 CON, 8 BODY, 16 INT, 16 EGO, 10 PRE, 13 COM, 8 PD, 8 ED, 4 SPD, 10 REC, 50 END, 42 STUN (Limit for buying at Normal Cost, x2 Above this up to ACM).
0 ACM (Absolute Characteristic Maxima): 15 STR, 30 DEX, 30 CON, 12 BODY, 26 INT, 26 EGO, 15 PRE, 18 COM, 16 PD, 16 ED, 8 SPD, 24 REC, 100 END, 84 STUN (Absolute Maximum Limit without Magical Enhancement).
5 Psychological Limitation: Hates Bright Light (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Psychological Limitation: Hates Gnomes (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Psychological Limitation: Sadistic Trickster/Trapster (Uncommon, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Cowardly/Timid (Common, Moderate)
5 Physical Limitation: Small, down to half human size (1m, or 1/2"; +3" KB) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing
5 Physical Limitation: Light Sensitivity suffers -2 to all Sight PER Rolls in sunlight or bright light (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
5 Reputation: Cowardly Wimps but Trickey Trapsters and Terrifying Teamwork Tactitians, 8-
0 Social Limitation: Kobold - Not Accepted in Most Civilized Societies (Occasionally, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
0 Susceptibility: Affected by both Pro- and Anti-Kobold/Humanoid/Reptillian Magics, 1d6 damage per Hour (Uncommon)
10 Susceptibility to Sunlight or Very Bright Light: , Painful -1 to CV, Characteristic, and Skill Rolls; -2 to Sight PER Rolls Instant (Common)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Light-Based Flashes vs. Sight (Uncommon)
Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 25Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 25

Height: 0.91 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 15.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: 3' tall with scaly hides and a tail, vaguely reptillian, dog-like, and rat-like at the same time.Personality: Sadism, Cruel Humour, Survival.Quote:- 0e-RC.187; 1e-MM.57-58, DMG.40; 2e-MM.214, CBoH.38-40; 3e-MM.123-124.

- Roger E. Moore "Tucker's Kobolds" editorial in Dragon.127.3+88.

- Roger E. Moore "The Humanoids: All About Kobolds, Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Gnolls" Dragon Magazine #63 (July 1982) Reprinted in Best of Dragon

Background: Kobolds are amongst the longest lived but the weakest of all the humanoid races. As such, they survive only by being aware of dangers and either staying out of the way or ganging up against a threat. As they can’t rely on brute physical force to defeat their enemies they must resort to all means of trickery. They seem smarter than they are because they are cunning, don’t play fair, and use teamwork tactics. One weapon strike can take out pretty much any Kobold. Because of these things, I’ve given Kobolds excellent perception abilities, and a number of skills to make up for their small size and innate weakness in combat.Powers/Tactics: Tricks, Traps, Ambush, Swarming, Hit and Run (emphasis on Run), False Retreats into Ambushes and Traps. In short, by any dirty and unfair means necessary.

Weapons (typical):

5% short sword and javelin

10% short sword and spear

10% shortsword

20% axe

30% spiked wooden club

15% javelins (2-3)

10% spear

Campaign Use: When you need the smallest, weakest, and most numerous sword fodder Kobolds are the first answer. If you want something tougher, Goblins are next up the humanoid line. Weaker is hard to find, but Jermalaine are probably the best bet.

Variations for Pre-Fab Add-Ons:

- Guards: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV), ~ Goblin 2/40

- Leader: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV), +1 BODY (5 total) 1/40 ~ Goblin or Orc

- Bodyguard: +1 CSL (all combat, 4 OCV), +3 BODY (7 total) 2/Chief ~ Goblin or Hobgoblin [6hp, 1+1 HD]

- Chieftain: +2 CSL (all combat, 5 OCV), +6 BODY (10 total) 1/Lair ~ Hobgoblin or Gnoll [9 hp, 2 HD]

- Witchdoctor: (DMG 40) up to 2nd level as magicuser or sorcerer (up to 20 Active Points) and 5th level as cleric (50 Active Points).

- Divinely inspired mutants with Prehensile Tails with Poison Stingers (like Kurtulmak)

- Forest Kobolds with monkey-like prehensile tails (extra limb with no fine manipulation)

- Kobold Woodsman: Ranger-like scout, still stealthy, still sneaky, still trapster, just outdoors instead of underground.

- Xvart - in between a Kobold and Goblin

- Urd: Wings = Flying 7"/15"

- Elite Kobold: 6 STR, 13 DEX, 11 CON, 5 BODY, 10 INT, 10 EGO, 10 PRE, 3 SPD, Run=6", +1 CSL, Hide +4, Real HKA (1/2d6 w/ STR) [not trying to squeeze the write-up into 25 points, more compatible with 3e, more like Shrike's version].

- NPC- Grimtooth the Trapmeister - Kobold Paragon - as Chieftan, Shaman 5th, and Witchdoctor 2nd all-in-one, Genius Sheer Genius.

This version should be a bit closer to being usable "as is", there's always still a bit more to do to improve it but it's about 90% there now.

Good idea!

Just graduate as a 1st level Magic-user? Sick of being the apprentice that's always bossed around? Need to cheaply summon an expendible door opening trap-fodderite to impress the rest of your party? Well, for the low low price of a mere 1 character point and some easily attainable renewable materials you too could have the perfect little boot-licking lacky to serve all of your whims!

Summon Kobold I (1 Point): Summon one 25-point Kobold (5 Base Points), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (10 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF - Pair of Kobold Horns - Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Side Effects (Kobold Attacks Summoner if Fail Skill Roll; -1/4) (1 Real Point).

This doubtless has any REAL use in this particular case, but I've always based my kobolds on the old Germanic definition:

1. An often mischievous household elf in German folklore.

2. A gnome that haunts underground places in German folklore.

I have them almost as mini-trolls rather than mini-lizardmen, and awfully cunning and devious without being seriously evil. They just don't like being messed with.

Obviously it's not the D&D version. Still, based on "common" usage these days I think Hierax's most recent write-up is a good one.