Help Complete this Hero Refit.

KA.

Hello again, I am here to plead for your help.

I usually GM Champions, but I am going to get an opportunity to play soon. My character is nearly complete, but after shaving off a couple of things I don't like, I have 6 points that I just don't know what to do with.

Please take a careful look and give me some suggestions for things that you think would add to this character.

Notes:

1) Some of the powers may look a bit weird, but they have already been okayed by the GM, so, while I invite comments, there is no need to debate what is already here from a "legality" standpoint.

2) In our world "Instant Change" is its own power and costs 5 points.

3) As far as where to spend the points, anything goes!

I was thinking of another slot for the Multipower, something to distinguish him from all the other flying bricks out there, but if you truly think some skills or combat levels would be better, go for it.

4) For that matter, if someone wants to do a complete redesign, have at it. The character is not yet "written in stone" because I haven't played him. (Well, I did in the past, but this is a "reset" of the universe anyway, and some changes have already been made.)

5) Please suffer through the description below. I am looking for things that fit the concept, not just generic ways to make the character more "effective" in combat.

Thanks in advance and let's begin:

Preface: the original character concept, and the origin story, were written months before Champions Universe came out.

I didn't "steal" the idea from MeteorMan, and DOJ sure as heck didn't steal it from me, just a bad case of synchronicity.

(If anyone feels like reading the 8 page origin story I wrote, feel free to email me for a copy.:D)

Larry Jacobs is an Astronomy major, attending Capital City University. He has a part time job at the University Observatory, assisting Professor Brown.

Due to a Viper plot, Larry was hit by a meteor with unknown properties. Viper used a magnetic device to attract the meteor to a certain spot, because they wanted to destroy the Observatory. Larry heroically tried to take the device outside, and so he was literally crushed by the meteor instead. The meteor was not just a piece of rock, it was a living entity, using the meteor as a sort of "seed pod". After its impact with Larry, it felt responsible for killing him, so it decided to "repair" him. Not only was he healed, he was transformed into a near perfect human specimen, more than human in several ways. The dust of the meteor mingled with Larry's blood to form a living "costume". When Larry is touching this costume he has great powers, the rest of the time he is fairly normal.

His powers are a combination of:

Physical Enhancement (My new body worked great!)

Powers that the "Meteor" had (Life Support, Flight, Density Increase, Enhanced Senses)

Powers from using parts of the "Meteor" itself. (Energy Blast is a small "meteor" that he throws. Area Effect is an Explosion of Fragments. Armor is a coating of "rock".

The Regeneration is a function of the Meteor itself. Larry is able to communicate with the Entity in a limited way, but if he takes too much Body damage, the Meteor focuses everything on healing him no matter what the circumstances are. If he ends up getting injured in front of witnesses, his Secret ID will be blown permanently, since everyone will see him heal before their eyes. Also, he can't really choose to "sacrifice himself", because if he takes too much damage his multipower is going to be channeled into healing him, he can't just decide he wants Armor or Flight instead.

Anyway, here he is, you have 6 points to spend, GO!

Meteor

Val Char Cost
40/70 STR 10
30 DEX 30
25 CON 10
25 BODY 10
18 INT 8
14 EGO 8
22 PRE 2
18 COM 0
39/45 PD 2
39/45 ED 5
6 SPD 20
25 REC 4
50 END 0
50 STUN -8
6" RUN02" SWIM08"/14" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 101

Cost Power END
60 Multipower (Costume): Multipower, 90-point reserve, all slots: (90 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
8m 1) Armor (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points)
4m 2) Density Increase (6400 kg mass, +30 STR, +6 PD/ED, -6" KB) (30 Active Points) 3
6u 3) Energy Blast 18d6 (vs. PD), 16 Charges (+0) (90 Active Points)
3u 4) Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), STUN Only (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (87 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), No Range (-1/2)
5m 5) Flight 20" (40 Active Points) 4
6m 6) Total Life Support: Life Support , Eating: Character does not eat, Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing, Sleeping: Character does not sleep (45 Active Points)
3u 7) Regeneration (No Control below 15 Body): Healing 6d6 (max. Healed Points: 36) (Resurrection) (80 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-1) 7

Costume Powers, all slots: OIF (-1/2) 94 1) Costume Characteristics: (Total: 142 Active Cost, 94 Real Cost) +20 STR (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 DEX (Real Cost: 30) plus +10 CON (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 BODY (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 PRE (Real Cost: 10) plus +8 COM (Real Cost: 4) plus +9 PD (Real Cost: 9) plus +9 ED (Real Cost: 9) plus +10 REC (Real Cost: 20) 211 2) Space Senses: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (Real Cost: 5) plus Ultraviolet Perception (Real Cost: 5) plus Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) 15 Instant Change (same clothes only) Powers Cost: 205

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Meteor Fighting
4 1) Meteoric Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
5 2) Meteor Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike [Notes: 12d6 - 18d6]
4 3) Meteor Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike [Notes: 10d6 - 16d6]
3 4) Meteor Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls [Notes: 8d6 - 14d6 + v/5]
Martial Arts Cost: 16

Cost Skill
4 Astronomy 13-
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Mechanics 13-
3 Power (Meteor Powers) 11-
3 Science (INT-based) 13-
Skills Cost: 19

Cost Talent
3 Bump Of Direction
Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 344

Val Disadvantages
15 Code of Chivalry: Common, Strong
15 Code Against Killing: Common, Strong
15 Dependent NPC (Girlfriend): 11- (Occasionally), Normal
15 Dependent NPC (Professor) : 11- (Occasionally), Incompetent (-20 points or lower), Useful noncombat position or skills
20 Honorable: Common, Total
15 Hunted by Green Dragon: 11- (Frequently), As Powerful, Harshly Punish
15 Hunted by Viper: 8- (Occasionally), As Powerful, Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
10 Protective of the Innocent: (Common; Moderate)
10 Reputation (Honorable Hero): Frequently (11-)
5 Rivalry (w/ Co-worker): Professional (; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
15 Secret Identity: Frequently (11-), Major

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

The GM has approved all this so far? The obvious question is just what your campaign starting limits are, and how you think your GM will run the game... if I was running this, and approved some of those powers, it'd be to subject you to interesting torments...

(total LS, and you want to fire your 90 AP EB?... you suddenly realize it's been a week since you last ate or slept and decide to take a nap. Sorry, you're unconscious and can't change your multipower back...)

Anyways, you have alien meteor dust that you can instant change into a costume that grants incredible powers?

You're already far too much of a combat monster IMHO, so this is what I'd suggest based on your character concept/background:

alien mentality: A bit of mental defense. However, you can also be affected as an Alien mind class.

I don't see how a bit of meteor dust can give so much DI... extra time or remove it.

The original meteor was attracted by a man-portable magnetic device. Why aren't you affected by magnetics at all? (vulnerable, susceptible, or even gain some magnetic powers?)

Not quite sure how meteor dust in your blood makes an OIF ;) They KO you, remove the costume, and drain your blood?

Power defense is always good if you can afford it.

Regeneration should be 0 END, always on, persistent. As written, yours does not work... if you are KO or dead, it shuts off... making the resurrection adder rather useless.

If your GM approved it to work anyway, then we have the interesting case where they drain you to 15 BODY and a KO, then since you have no END while unconscious, your regen burns STUN into a deep coma level...

Actually,the character is even more of a mess than you've stated, ChocolateMouseje,because Meteor has three ultra slots on his multipower,which means that,not only can he not use any other Multipower slots while firing his 18d6 EB,but if he uses either his Explosive EB or Healing,he is lonly has either 3 or 10 Acrive Points available from his Multipower reserve (depending on which ultra slot he uses).

I'd buy the scientist skill and buy more sciences. I'd make the Astronomy science skill based on int (this'll save you one point ; the scientist skill modifier you'll save another one.

The unassigned science skill will cost 1 pt. less leaving you 6 pts. to buy 3 more sciences based on int(all reduced by 1 pt.) if you want to go that route. It'd look something like this:

3 Scientist

2 SCI: Astronomy (int) 13-

2 SCI: Physics 13-

2 SCI: meteors 13-

2 SCI: Metallurgy 13-

2 SCI: aeronautics 13-

I'd buy the scientist skill and buy more sciences. I'd make the Astronomy science skill based on int (this'll save you one point ; the scientist skill modifier you'll save another one.

The unassigned science skill will cost 1 pt. less leaving you 6 pts. to buy 3 more sciences based on int(all reduced by 1 pt.) if you want to go that route. It'd look something like this:

3 Scientist

2 SCI: Astronomy (int) 13-

2 SCI: Physics 13-

2 SCI: meteors 13-

2 SCI: Metallurgy 13-

2 SCI: aeronautics 13-

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Actually,the character is even more of a mess than you've stated, ChocolateMouseje,because Meteor has three ultra slots on his multipower,which means that,not only can he not use any other Multipower slots while firing his 18d6 EB,but if he uses either his Explosive EB or Healing,he is lonly has either 3 or 10 Acrive Points available from his Multipower reserve (depending on which ultra slot he uses).

Nah, 3 AP is enough to run the LS: no need for sleep, and his total life support is an m slot... allowing him to keep it going at 3 or 10. I think he can survive 2 seconds of extreme hunger.

ChocolateMousje:

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the Regeneration.

Some of the problems with this character are a result of his being upgraded from 4th Ed. Hero Creator to 5th Ed. Hero Designer.

Regeneration definitely lost something in the translation.:eek:

I don't think there are any other characters in any of our campaigns that use it, so I didn't really notice how much it had changed for 5th Ed.

Also, it is not really intended to be that much of a help to the character, I really intended it as more of a limiting factor, but I didn't want to build it in a way that gave him points (like a limitation on the multipower or a physical limitation) because I thought that would sort of defeat the purpose.

(okay, from here on in, read at your own risk! ;) I try not to be excessively verbose when posting, but it seems like I didn't provide enough detail, so now I am going to.

Please feel free to stop reading when you begin to die from boredom.:))

I was looking for something like the feel of when Spiderman first got the symbiote costume. The meteor entity is not evil in any way, but it is sort of a "mother hen". It feels responsible for "killing" the character in the first place, so it is going to make darned sure that he doesn't die again on "it's watch".

So, if the character takes a certain amount of BODY damage, it starts trying to heal him using nearly all of its resources, it won't let him use any offensive powers, and it doesn't care what the circumstances are. (I built a few extra points into the multipower to allow for a little flight, or a bit of life support, in case the injury took place while flying or under water, but that is about it.)

Anyway, that is what I was trying to do with that. I wasn't trying to make the character "unkillable", I was trying to create something that would limit his options because he wasn't in full "control" of his powers. Also, he is not able to just turn the Regen "on" when he wants to, to keep from getting knocked below 15 BODY, it ONLY works when he is below 15 BODY. Not that that is that big a limitation or anything, but considering that it nearly locks out his other powers . . .

Life Support

Again, it appears that I didn't explain this very well. The Life Support was intended to allow him to fly to the edges of, if not beyond, the atmosphere of the Earth.

As an astronomy student, the ability to see the stars without the interference of the atmosphere would be very rewarding. He doesn't walk around for weeks at a time with full Life Support going, the only time he would use it is if he wanted to fly really high, go under water for something, etc., which is why it is in a Multipower and not an Elemental Control or just purchased normally. He is not going to go for weeks without sleep and then switch to another slot and fall into a narcoleptic coma!

But I bought about every form of life support I could think to try to cover all the bases as far as what might happen in space.

If I just bought Self Contained Breathing, then if I flew into the atmosphere I would be told I was dead from the Vacuum.

If I bought Vacuum, I would then be dead from Radiation.

If I bought Radiation , I would die from the Cold, or the Heat, or the Temperature change.

If I bought those too, then I might die from the change in Pressure upon re-entry.

After buying High Pressure, I would die from some kind of "Poisonous" trace elements in the atmosphere,

and if I lived through that I would be killed by some kind of "Upper Atmosphere" disease organism.

So, I bought everything!

Need Not Eat or Sleep, were just added in as part of the package.

Really wasn't planning on this guy going for days without rest or food, (maybe during finals, he is a college student:)) but if he did, I would expect him to have to spend a lot of time eating and sleeping to catch up.

What I was trying to create is a character with a lot of power, but not a lot of control over it. He is a starting hero, and has only had his powers for a few weeks.

That is why he has the Ultra Slots. He doesn't know how to fire a blast and do a lot of other things at the same time, he is still learning.

As he gets more experience, I won't be adding new powers, or increasing the current ones, I will be giving him more control over them by changing the Ultra's to Multi's.

The OIF part is a little weird, I agree, but it is because I didn't want to spend 8 pages on the full origin story.

When the meteor struck him, he was crushed (flat) and tiny pieces of the meteor lodged in him. Permanently. And merged with his blood. They are what healed him but they have pretty much "burned out". The clothing he was wearing at the time became infused with a mixture of meteor fragments and his blood (there was plenty of both around at the time). The meteor was able to "repair" that too. It can either look like the outfit he was wearing, or the "costume" form which looks like a speckled blue shiny bodysuit, but it can't just turn into anything. The combination of the meteor fragments in the costume, bound to his blood that is mixed in there somewhere, give him the extra powers. The costume can be taken off, stolen, whatever, and in that case he would lose all the OIF powers until he got it back. The Instant Change only works when he is wearing the clothes he was crushed in. Since they have been repaired, they look fine, but he can't put on a business suit and go to an interview and instantly change into Meteor.

As far as the power levels...

The first time we played with this GM (one of my players, new to the system, teenaged, and a bit power-mad), our characters were on the way to a bank that was being robbed.

We were attacked by snipers.

The snipers had 6d6 Armor Piercing RKA's.

They also had Find Weakness.

They also had enough levels to hit us nearly every time they fired, Dodging gave them a 50-50 chance of hitting.

There were four of them and two of us.

They weren't the main threat, they were just something that shot us in the back on the way in!

The first shot KO'd the other character (down to -6 Stun in one shot, also lost a fair amount of BODY).

My character (the first version of Meteor) managed to fly him to safety before he was shot again, but I took a round in the process, which KO'd me just as he was coming to.

He got us behind cover, and through a combination of blind luck and superior tactics we actually managed to live through it and defeat the villains.

So far, no campaign limits have been set for this second attempt, but the GM has promised to tone things down a bit.

So, I didn't go full paranoid buying Power Defense and Lack of Weakness and Hardening everything x2, because that didn't fit my concept of the character, but as far as building something approaching a Combat Monster, I plead Self Defense!:D

NOTE: You know, you actually did help me finish this character. Once I rebuilt the Regeneration properly it was 90 active points. Wanting to have a few points left for a small amount of Flight or Life Support, in case I was wounded under those circumstances, I boosted the Multipower Reserve to 100. That put me one point over 350, so I got rid of "Need not Sleep or Eat" and that made me come out even.

Here is the new version.

Meteor

Player:

Val Char Cost
40/70 STR 10
30 DEX 30
25 CON 10
25 BODY 10
18 INT 8
14 EGO 8
22 PRE 2
18 COM 0
39/45 PD 2
39/45 ED 5
6 SPD 20
25 REC 4
50 END 0
50 STUN -8

Cost Power END
67 Multipower (Costume): Multipower, 100-point reserve, all slots: (100 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
4m 2) Density Increase (6400 kg mass, +30 STR, +6 PD/ED, -6" KB) (30 Active Points) 3
6u 3) Energy Blast 18d6 (vs. PD), 16 Charges (+0) (90 Active Points)
3u 4) Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), STUN Only (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (87 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), No Range (-1/2)
5m 5) Flight 20" (40 Active Points) 4
5m 6) Total Life Support: Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (39 Active Points)
3u 7) Regeneration (No Control below 15 Body): Healing 2d6 (max. Healed Points: 12) (Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-1), Self Only (-1/2)
Costume Powers, all slots: OIF (-1/2)
94 1) Costume Characteristics: (Total: 142 Active Cost, 94 Real Cost) +20 STR (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 DEX (Real Cost: 30) plus +10 CON (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 BODY (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 PRE (Real Cost: 10) plus +8 COM (Real Cost: 4) plus +9 PD (Real Cost: 9) plus +9 ED (Real Cost: 9) plus +10 REC (Real Cost: 20) 2
11 2) Space Senses: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (Real Cost: 5) plus Ultraviolet Perception (Real Cost: 5) plus Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) 1
5 Instant Change (same clothes only)
Powers Cost: 211

Meteor Fighting
4 1) Meteoric Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
5 2) Meteor Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike [Notes: 12d6 - 18d6]
4 3) Meteor Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike [Notes: 10d6 - 16d6]
3 4) Meteor Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls [Notes: 8d6 - 14d6 + v/5]

Cost Skill
4 Astronomy 13-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Mechanics 13-
3 Power (Meteor Powers) 11-
Skills Cost: 19

Cost Talent
3 Bump Of Direction

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
15 Code of Chivalry: Common, Strong
15 Dependent NPC (Professor) : 11- (Occasionally), Incompetent (-20 points or lower), Useful noncombat position or skills
20 Honorable: Common, Total
15 Hunted by Viper: 8- (Occasionally), As Powerful, Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
10 Protective of the Innocent: (Common; Moderate)
10 Reputation (Honorable Hero): Frequently (11-)
5 Rivalry (w/ Co-worker): Professional (; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Thanks again,

KA.

Interesting points about your GM ;) I haven't heard of a lot of diseases and poisons caught simply for going into space before... and note that LS specifically says "terrestrial", so I'm not sure if it'd protect you anyway.

There are downloadable prefabs available for HD... not much for powers, but regeneration is one. Unless you meant for it to have a limit of 12 and no extra time limitation ;).

Speaking of 6d6RKAs, I notice that your defenses, while high, are only resistant from your multipower armor slot.

There is a "Novice Hero" example disad, I think it's in Champions. (my book is currently on loan)

Personally, I wouldn't build all my ranged attacks with charges. Then again, you'd probably be very effective with move throughs anyway.

You know what, I think I've got a hero with space capability I only gave LS self contained breathing to. I think adding LS vacuum, heat, cold is probably sufficient though. ;)

Meteor now looks more balanced,but I have a few points to make:

(1)If he's spent 3 points on his Power skill,why does he only have an 11- roll?

(2)Why isn't his Astronomy skill INT-based? That would reduce the cost from 4 points to 3 points.

Well, thanks a lot Southern Cross! :rolleyes:

Now I have to start a whole new thread on how to spend One Point on this character!:mad:

Just kidding!

Don't know how I missed that when I was first building him.

I try not to fudge things too much, but Astronomy certainly seems like it should be based on INT to me.

Power Skill : Well that's what I get for not reading all the details. I knew what it was for from reading a lot of posts on it, but I didn't realize that you could base it on whatever you want (within reason), until I read the entry in Fred just now.

I think that what I would really use it for is Brick Tricks, which would be STR based.

That gives him a '17 or less' roll, which is way too high for a Hero who is just getting started!

So, I am going to buy it STR based, but only as a Familiarity.

That way it will be '8 or less' for now, and as he gets some experience, it will go up.

Nice Catch!

Thanks,

KA.

Originally posted by ChocolateMousje

Interesting points about your GM ;) I haven't heard of a lot of diseases and poisons caught simply for going into space before... and note that LS specifically says "terrestrial", so I'm not sure if it'd protect you anyway.

There are downloadable prefabs available for HD... not much for powers, but regeneration is one. Unless you meant for it to have a limit of 12 and no extra time limitation ;).

Speaking of 6d6RKAs, I notice that your defenses, while high, are only resistant from your multipower armor slot.

There is a "Novice Hero" example disad, I think it's in Champions. (my book is currently on loan)

Personally, I wouldn't build all my ranged attacks with charges. Then again, you'd probably be very effective with move throughs anyway.

You know what, I think I've got a hero with space capability I only gave LS self contained breathing to. I think adding LS vacuum, heat, cold is probably sufficient though. ;)

ChocolateMousje,

I am going to do a little more research on Regeneration.

It seems like this has been priced out of the market!

I can understand not wanting your average Fantasy Hero peasant to buy it, but considering how hard it is for most Champions characters to take a lot of BODY, it seems to be ridiculously expensive for something that is a purely defensive power.

As far as the Life Support for Space, I would definitely include Radiation. Once you get outside the atmosphere, I think there is some rather harsh stuff out there. I'm not really sure about "poisons" since, if you aren't breathing they shouldn't be getting inside you anyway, so I removed that and diseases. I put back a more limited form of Eat and Sleep because I don't think they are going to come into play very much, but since he doesn't travel that fast, if he wanted to fly to, say, the Moon, I am not sure how long it would take.

I don't think falling asleep in space would be very safe :), and snacking opportunities are also going to be rare.

Having saved a few points due to Southern Cross's suggestions, I put some Damage Resistance inside the multipower. I can have a small amount up while using an Energy Blast and have quite a bit of Resistant Defense for more dangerous situations.

I put the Charges on the Normal Energy Blast because I see it as actually "using" the dust from the Meteor. It "comes back" over time, but he can't just keep blasting it out there all day, there is only so much.

The other Blast (explosion) is more like shorting a battery and making a big "pop". So I only seeing him able to do that a few times a day.

As he gains experience, I may buy these limitations down, but for now they "feel" right.

I am seriously thinking about redoing the Disadvantages too.

I may use the "Novice Hero".

I thought about a Vulnerability to Magnetic Attacks, but with this GM I am hesitant.;)

I have a feeling I may as well just add on "Hunted by Magneto 14 or less", if I take one!

But, I will consider it.

Thanks for your time.

KA.

Okay,

Here is the latest, but not necessarily the final, version.

Any thoughts now?

Meteor

Player:

Val Char Cost
40/70 STR 10
30 DEX 30
25 CON 10
25 BODY 10
18 INT 8
14 EGO 8
22 PRE 2
18 COM 0
39/45 PD 2
39/45 ED 5
6 SPD 20
25 REC 4
50 END 0
50 STUN -8

Cost Power END
67 Multipower (Costume): Multipower, 100-point reserve, all slots: (100 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
4m 2) Damage Resistance (30 PD/30 ED) (30 Active Points)
4m 3) Density Increase (6400 kg mass, +30 STR, +6 PD/ED, -6" KB) (30 Active Points) 3
6u 4) Energy Blast 18d6 (vs. PD), 16 Charges (+0) (90 Active Points)
3u 5) Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), STUN Only (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (87 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), No Range (-1/2)
5m 6) Flight 20" (40 Active Points) 4
3u 7) Regeneration (No Control below 15 Body): Healing 2d6 (max. Healed Points: 12) (Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-1), Self Only (-1/2)
3m 8) Total Life Support: Life Support , Eating: Character only has to eat once per year, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing, Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year (23 Active Points)
94 1) Costume Characteristics: (Total: 142 Active Cost, 94 Real Cost) +20 STR (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 DEX (Real Cost: 30) plus +10 CON (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 BODY (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 PRE (Real Cost: 10) plus +8 COM (Real Cost: 4) plus +9 PD (Real Cost: 9) plus +9 ED (Real Cost: 9) plus +10 REC (Real Cost: 20) 2
12 2) Space Senses: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (Real Cost: 5) plus Ultraviolet Perception (Real Cost: 5) plus Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus Telescopic +1 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group) (Real Cost: 1) 1
Powers Cost: 214

Meteor Fighting

Cost Skill
3 Astronomy (INT-based) 13-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Mechanics 13-
1 Power (STR-based) 8-
Skills Cost: 16

Cost Talent
3 Bump Of Direction

Val Disadvantages
15 Accidental Change: When BODY damage is taken (in "costume"). 14- (Uncommon)
5 Dependent NPC (Professor) : 8- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills)
15 Honorable: Common, Strong
15 Novice Hero: (Very Common; Moderate)
15 Susceptibility: Strong Magnetic Fields 2d6 damage, per Turn (Uncommon)
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Magnetic (Uncommon)

• 5 weeks later...

I think you mean to do this, but I want to point it out anyway. As I read your multipower and regeneration when your character gets below 15 BODY your regeneration will automatically kick in and take 90% of the points in your Multipower. This means you will be effectively useless. Is this the way you want it?

Guest Major Tom

From what I've read and seen of this character thus far, it looks

like you used the UltraMan concept for creating it (alien

being comes to Earth, accidentally kills a human being but is

able to restore said human being to life by merging with him,

human being gains the ability to switch places with the alien

being in order to fight great evil -- but only for a short time

before needing to "recharge"). With this in mind, I was wonder-

ing if you had thought of putting a time limit on how long

Meteor can remain in his transformed state before needing

to "charge his batteries", as it were?

Major Tom :confused:

I've been thinking about Meteor's costume -given his origin,wouldn't it provide him a bit of protection? I'm thinking of adding the following Power (and dropping the Damage Resistance slot in the Multipower,as well as lowering the extra PD & ED to 3 points to compensate):

Armoured Costume: 6 DEF Armor ,OIF (18 Active,12 Real).

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.:)

I have been on the boards, but I must have missed it when this thread resurfaced.

The start of our budding campaign has stalled for a couple of weeks, so there is still time to get this character fixed up before play starts.

Now, on to the responses:

Southern Cross - Part One

Quite Correct about the Damage Resistance.

I messed with this guy so much that I forgot to lower the DR, when I lowered either his normal PD/ED (or his Density Increase, can't remember at this point).

After you brought it up, I realized that he only had 25 points of Normal PD/ED to add DR to, and that it was spread in an "ugly" way: 19 Base + 6 from DI.

I like to keep my math a little cleaner than that so that it is a bit easier to do things in combat.

So, I upped his PD/ED from the costume to 10/10 instead of 9/9. And I lowered his available DI to 5 levels.

I also played around with his Skill set a bit. Backed off one to a Familiarity, and added a couple more. I decided he had probably done a little birdwatching as a teenager (Stealth 8>) and had probably taken a Red Cross First Aid course somewhere along the line (Paramedic 8>). He feels a bit more rounded now.

I have never played a Brick before. Usually I go for more mysterious skulky types. So that may be why I "maxed out" his Brickiness when I first wrote him up, I guess I didn't know his own strength.;)

Herolover,

Yes, the Regeneration thing is part of his schtick.

His costume is an (overprotective) alien entity. He can sort of communicate with it, but it has guilt feelings about killing him the first time, so, if he gets too damaged, it puts nearly all of its resources into Healing him.

It is intended to be more of a liability than an asset, and something to sort of "hold back" the character.

At that point, his options are to either:

a) Fight Defensively, relying on his Martial Arts (mainly Dodging if he can't take something down with one punch.)

B) Do something crazy. After all, the entity can't control his actions, just his powers.

He can still Fly at half-speed, or put up a little Damage Resistance, and try to fight it out without most of his powers.

He is still strong and fairly tough.

I am hoping to get him into some of the situations I see on Smallville.

Since the number one crop in town in Kryptonite, people must think Clark is a schizophrenic.

One minute he is the bravest, most helpful guy in the world.

The next minute he is slinking off to a corner somewhere, because he got near some rocks and his powers are gone.

And, he can't explain why!

I can see Meteor in some of the same binds. If he takes too much BODY (not that it is going to happen every day, but it will come up), he will have to back off. People might get the idea that he is afraid of getting hurt.

He can't tell anyone what the problem is, or villains would just keep building massive AP RKA's to take him out of fights.

So, he is going to be in for some grief, just like a good character should.;)

Major Tom,

Wow, will my career of petty theft never end?:(

I thought I was only ripping off the Spiderman symbiote costume (that eventually turned into Venom).

I didn't even think about the Ultraman reference.:eek:

I don't know if I want to go the "time limit" route, because things are complicated enough, and I don't know a way to really pull it off in a balanced manner. Since combat only lasts so long, unless the time period is really short (one minute?) it would rarely come up.

This guy is going to have enough trouble with his image from "backing off" when the regeneration kicks in, if he had to flat out run from fights because the timer went off, it would be a nightmare.

And, based on the origin story (don't forget to email if anyone wants to read it, in its full 8 page glory :rolleyes:) this "alien" has completely merged with Larry. His body changes when he becomes Meteor, but they are not two different people, just two "versions" of the same guy.

Southern Cross II,

Well, it does make a certain amount of sense for him to have a little bit of Armor at all times. I may take a look at working it in.

I like having the Damage Resistance option, though.

That way I can have decent defenses against the Stun and Body of a Killing Attack (up to 25), while still having the points left over in the MP to Fly and DI.

On the other hand, with the Armor, I can have good defense (20) against the Body of a Killing Attack, and quite a bit more against the Stun (40).

I would like to add in a bit of "all the time" Armor, though.

Everyone,

Here is the latest version, what did I mess-up now?;)

Meteor

Player:

Val Char Cost
40/65 STR 10
30 DEX 30
25 CON 10
25 BODY 10
18 INT 8
14 EGO 8
22 PRE 2
18 COM 0
40/45 PD 2
40/45 ED 5
6 SPD 20
25 REC 4
50 END 0
50 STUN -8
6" RUN02" SWIM08"/13" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 101

Cost Power END
3m 2) Damage Resistance (25 PD/25 ED) (25 Active Points)
3m 3) Density Increase (3200 kg mass, +25 STR, +5 PD/ED, -5" KB) (25 Active Points) 2
3u 5) Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), STUN Only (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (87 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), No Range (-1/2)
3m 8) Total Life Support: Life Support , Eating: Character only has to eat once per year, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing, Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year (23 Active Points)
96 1) Costume Characteristics: (Total: 144 Active Cost, 96 Real Cost) +20 STR (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 DEX (Real Cost: 30) plus +10 CON (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 BODY (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 PRE (Real Cost: 10) plus +8 COM (Real Cost: 4) plus +10 PD (Real Cost: 10) plus +10 ED (Real Cost: 10) plus +10 REC (Real Cost: 20) 2
12 2) Space Senses: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (Real Cost: 5) plus Ultraviolet Perception (Real Cost: 5) plus Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus Telescopic +1 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group) (Real Cost: 1) 1

Meteor Fighting
5 2) Meteor Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike [Notes: 12d6 - 17d6]
4 3) Meteor Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike [Notes: 10d6 - 15d6]
3 4) Meteor Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls [Notes: 8d6 - 13d6 + v/5]

Cost Skill
1 Electronics 8-
3 Mechanics 13-
1 Paramedics 8-
1 Power (STR-based) 8-
1 Stealth 8-

Cost Talent
3 Bump Of Direction

Val Disadvantages

What do you Accidental Change to?

Not sure if you really need a full 45 resistant defenses. Going slightly lower and adding hardened could annoy those 6d6 AP RKA agents more ;).

Regeneration is cheaper in 5th for real points. It's the change from +20 from death to +20 from death with +1 of required advantages (making from death +40 active points) that makes it expensive.

Originally posted by ChocolateMousje

What do you Accidental Change to?

Not sure if you really need a full 45 resistant defenses. Going slightly lower and adding hardened could annoy those 6d6 AP RKA agents more ;).

Regeneration is cheaper in 5th for real points. It's the change from +20 from death to +20 from death with +1 of required advantages (making from death +40 active points) that makes it expensive.

Hi there, ChocolateMousje,

Nice to see you back on the thread.

Accidental Change:

Well, Larry Jacobs is a fairly normal, not very attractive, somewhat nerdy guy.

Meteor is the Alien Entity's idea of what a "perfect human" should look like.

Larry has somewhat crooked teeth, a slightly crooked nose, and is just not really "handsome".

Meteor looks like Larry's handsome big Brother.

Taller, more muscular, perfect teeth, perfect nose, and one other small detail, his skin is blue!

It seems that the Alien Entity has a slighty different idea of "perfect human" than we do.

Also, the costume is part of the change.

So, if Larry has an "Accidental Change" into Meteor, everyone around will know exactly who Meteor is.

His Secret ID will be blown, etc. etc.

Conceptually, the idea is that the A-E is overprotective.

If it thinks that Larry is in danger, it is going to change him into the more durable form. It doesn't care about things like Secret ID, it just wants Larry to live.

Defenses,

I may tweak those a little, I will have to take a look at what it does to the overall package. If I can just back all of them down a little and add Hardened, I may do it, I just don't want to get into another round of tweaking one thing that throws off everything else. Right now the only Resistant Defense he has is when he is using either Damage Resistance or Armor, so I guess I could back those down and Harden them without too much trouble. I would also have to Harden the base PD/ED that is bought through the costume, or the Hardened DR wouldn't work on it.

I may make those changes to a copy of the file, and post it that way and see what people think.

You are right about the Regen costs. It is kind of weird in a way. I guess it is because they don't want it to be too cheap in Fantasy Hero since Resurrection is a big deal there.

But in a Superhero world, where people don't usually take much Body anyway, so it wouldn't come into play that often, it seems really expensive.

Maybe one way to fix it it to tie it into Normal Characteristic Maxima. If you are using NCM the Adders cost what they do now. If you aren't, like in a Supers campaign, they cost half as much. I am sure there is some logical flaw with that, and I am equally sure that someone will point it out.;)

Thanks for the input, be watching for the revised version.

KA.

Edit:

(Somehow managed to quote myself instead of Editing)

Here is the "Hardened" version of Meteor.

I had to mess with things quite a bit to get the points to balance out.

I am not sure if this is the version I am going to use, but here it is to look at.:

Meteor (Hardened Version - Not Yet "Official")

Player:

Val Char Cost
40/65 STR 10
30 DEX 30
25 CON 10
25 BODY 10
18 INT 8
14 EGO 8
22 PRE 2
18 COM 0
33/38 PD 2
33/38 ED 5
6 SPD 20
25 REC 4
50 END 0
50 STUN -8
6" RUN02" SWIM08"/13" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 101

Cost Power END
8m 1) Armor (16 PD/16 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (60 Active Points)
4m 2) Damage Resistance (22 PD/22 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (27 Active Points)
4m 3) (Total: 27 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) Density Increase (3200 kg mass, +25 STR, +5 PD/ED, -5" KB) (Real Cost: 25) plus Hardened for PD/ED from DI, Hardened (+1/4) (2 Active Points) (Real Cost: 2) 2
94 1) Costume Characteristics: (Total: 142 Active Cost, 94 Real Cost) +20 STR (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 DEX (Real Cost: 30) plus +10 CON (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 BODY (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 PRE (Real Cost: 10) plus +8 COM (Real Cost: 4) plus +7 PD, Hardened (+1/4) (9 Active Points) (Real Cost: 9) plus +7 ED, Hardened (+1/4) (9 Active Points) (Real Cost: 9) plus +10 REC (Real Cost: 20) 2

Meteor Fighting
5 2) Meteor Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike [Notes: 12d6 - 17d6]
4 3) Meteor Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike [Notes: 10d6 - 15d6]
3 4) Meteor Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls [Notes: 8d6 - 13d6 + v/5]

Cost Skill
1 Electronics 8-
3 Mechanics 13-
1 Paramedics 8-
1 Power (STR-based) 8-
1 Stealth 8-

Cost Talent
3 Bump Of Direction

Val Disadvantages

Something else that I just realised - in 5th Edition you have to buy Regeneration with the mandatory Limitation Usable Only Once Per Turn (Which is supposed to be a -1 1/4 value limitation,but is listed in my copy as a -1 Limitation ).

Also,if Meteor's base STR is increased to 50,and you keep his current PD,REC and STUN values,you actually save a point,plus your base Leaping is increased by 2".

(Obviously the meteor did more damage in this version,and as a result augmented his strength even further).

Something else that I just realised - in 5th Edition you have to buy Regeneration with the mandatory Limitation Usable Only Once Per Turn (Which is supposed to be a -1 1/4 value limitation,but is listed in my copy as a -1 Limitation ).

Also,if Meteor's base STR is increased to 50,and you keep his current PD,REC and STUN values,you actually save a point,plus your base Leaping is increased by 2".

(Obviously the meteor did more damage in this version,and as a result augmented his strength even further).

Thanks for the information.

I just corrected the Regeneration, which saved me a whole point!:D

The new rules are just a bit confusing.:rolleyes:

I know that it is not "policy" but I wish Dan could just add a

"Make this mess into whatever Steve decided Regeneration was",

Adder, to Healing.;)

As far as increasing the STR, I will consider it, but, by my own twisted standards, that may feel a little "Munchy".

Here is what he looks like buying it that way, and with the Regen fixed.

Meteor with STR 50 (Not Official)

Player:

Val Char Cost
50/75 STR 10
30 DEX 30
25 CON 10
25 BODY 10
18 INT 8
14 EGO 8
22 PRE 2
18 COM 0
40/45 PD 2
40/45 ED 5
6 SPD 20
25 REC 0
50 END 0
50 STUN -13
7" RUN22" SWIM010"/15" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 94

Cost Power END
3m 2) Damage Resistance (25 PD/25 ED) (25 Active Points)
3m 3) Density Increase (3200 kg mass, +25 STR, +5 PD/ED, -5" KB) (25 Active Points) 2
2u 7) Regeneration (No Control below 15 Body): Healing 2 BODY (Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), No Conscious Control (-1), Self Only (-1/2)
101 1) Costume Characteristics: (Total: 152 Active Cost, 101 Real Cost) +30 STR (Real Cost: 30) plus +10 DEX (Real Cost: 30) plus +10 CON (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 BODY (Real Cost: 20) plus +10 PRE (Real Cost: 10) plus +8 COM (Real Cost: 4) plus +8 PD (Real Cost: 8) plus +10 ED (Real Cost: 10) plus +10 REC (Real Cost: 20) 3
Powers Cost: 218

Meteor Fighting

Cost Skill
1 Electronics 8-
3 Mechanics 13-
1 Paramedics 8-
1 Power (STR-based) 8-
1 Stealth 8-

Cost Talent
3 Bump Of Direction

Total Character Cost: 347

Val Disadvantages

I may have missed something, but I think I have 3 points left over, and that is with spending the point I saved on Regen, on Running.

Thanks for the help,

KA.

Originally posted by JmOz

I just wish Steve would admit that there is definatly room for two healing powers, one being an active healing (Healing) and another being a self only recovering ability called regen (then again I would have done Regen differently)...

I agree. There are only a couple of beefs I have with the changes made for 5th, and this is one of them.

I understand the overall philosophy of trying to streamline things, and define things based on existing constructs instead of having "oddball" powers that don't relate to everything else.

But this looks like those commercials that tell you it is possible to "Grind Meat" with a blender.

You can turn meat into a paste with a blender, but you cannot "grind" it.

By the time Healing has been through the wringer that turns it into Regeneration from Death, it is so bruised that I can hardly bear to look at it.

KA.

Originally posted by KA.

-major snip-

I may have missed something, but I think I have 3 points left over, and that is with spending the point I saved on Regen, on Running.

Thanks for the help,

KA.

Southern Cross:

I now officially hate you!:D

Just kidding!

But I realized, after looking at this, that when I started this thread I had (at least I thought I had) six points to spend.

Now, after all this tweaking and changing and posting,

I still have 3 points to spend!

I am only half done!

Actually, I want to thank you and everyone else who has contributed ideas and information.

I think I am going to end up with a better defined, and definitely more "5th Ed. Legal" character, than I would have otherwise.

Thanks again, and keep those cards and letters coming.

KA.