Startup

Quanjoh

I'm about to get the game (Champions) and was wondering how many and what kind of dice are needed for a new player. I have someone who played a long time ago to GM, but he doesn't remember that far back as far as dice go.

Also...if I get Champions book first, what would you recommend for my second book when funds allow?

I've moved this to the "Discussion" board in case any of the fans want to chime in on the question of "what book next." ;)

All you need for the HERO System are six-sided dice (d6, in gaming parlance ;)). How many you need depends on the types and power level of attacks your character has; the minimum number is three, the maximum 20, 30, or more. In most games 12 dice should be enough.

As for "the next book," it really depends on what you're going to be doing in the game and your familiarity with the system, etc. As a blanket statement, I'd recommend The UNTIL Superpowers Database, which is useful on many levels because of its thousands of pre-generated superpowers. If your GM is using one of our published settings, the setting book for it would also be an excellent choice.

And don't forget, buying Champions first is neat, but you'll still need the big, black, HERO 5th Edition rules book to play at all.

The Champions book is a source guide detailing special things and rules to consider when running a superhero campaign. It is not the main rulebook.

Once you've got the rulebook (affectionately known as FRED around here) and Champions, I'd consider either the UNTIL Superpowers Database book as Steve suggested or the Champions Universe book. Either one is handy.

The USPD is fanatastic for helping you put together sets of powers. It can be a great aid in building character. The Champions Universe book is a must if you're going to run a campaign set in, go figure, the Champions universe. If you plan to create your own millieu, its still a good sourcebook for ideas, but will likely fall back several places on your "what book to buy next" list.

Hope that helps you out... and welcome to Champions!

Richard

If you are playing Champions, I would recommend Conquerors, Killers and Crooks.

It provides a number of character examples, all villains. If you are new to the system, this will give you examples of how to build a character. Even if you are adapting an comic universe's characters, the book is valuable for the examples.

There are also scenario iseas for every character in the book.

The main book needed to play "Champions" or any other HERO System genre is HERO System Fifth Edition (FREd). Champions is a genre book which gives examples of the superhero/comic book genre and tells you how to alter some of the rules from FREd to better suit the genre.

If you are new to the system but not new to superhero gaming in general then I would recommend: HERO System Fifth Edition, UNTIL Superpowers Datebase (USPD), and Conquerors, Killers, & Crooks (CKC). FREd for the basic game system, USPD for the thousands of prewritten powers, and CKC for about 100 ready-to-use supervillains.

If you are new to the superhero genre then I would also recommend you pick up Champions, as it will give you valuable advice on how to play within the comic book genre.

If you're familiar with the supers genre, I'd rate the USPD a higher priority than the Champions genre book. There are plenty of cool things in Champions, but the USPD will have more immediate utility, IMO.

Another book that might be useful, though perhaps a bit less so for supers, is the Hero System Bestiary. If you have a player who morphs into animals, it could be a real time saver. (Actully if you have a player who morphs into animals, you should sell him to a carnival and buy the whole Hero line...but you know what I mean. =)] Also on the not yet mentioned list are the Ultimate line, e.g., the Ultimate Martial Artist and the Ultimate Vehicle. Both are very handy if either subject is the focus of a good part of the game, and handy in general.

Personally, if you've read a few comic books in your life you probably don't need to buy the 5th Edition book titled "Champions". You might want to buy it if you're new to the system and you have the money to burn.

Let me reiterate that you need to buy the 5th Edition Rulebook (affectionately known as FREd around here) before you purchase ANY of the other books.

As to what your second books should be, I would recommend either the UNTIL Superpowers Database or Conquerers, Killers, and Crooks -- and would actually recommend both if you can afford it. After those I would next recommend Ultimate Martial Artist, and then the Bestiary. After you have those purchases -- and frankly, ONLY after those purchases -- would I recommend one of the genre books like Fantasy HERO, Star HERO, or Champions.

The USPD will give you a good foundation for how power construction works, but since it lacks character creation examples you might want to snag CKC first. Your money, your call.

As to want kind and how many dice to buy? The only type of dice you need are plain old six-siders. How many? As many as you and the players can bring :P Actually about 12-15 per player is probably sufficient, although with certain character builds it's not rare for 20 to be needed by one player, on one roll (uncommon perhaps, but not rare). I've seen plastic boxes with 36 six-siders for sale in gaming shops, in fact that's what most of my gaming group uses (I personally prefer my big-ole-bag-o-dice myself).