The Mage's Workshop

Michael Hopcroft

Ok, here's one that I was working on. (Suggested by Shadowpup on Minor Magics) I decided that using a Change Environment was way too expensive for just heating the inside of the pot. Did I mentioned this was suppose to be less than 2 real points?

Hot Pot

Description: Heats the interior of a small pot hot enough to cook with. The exterior of the pot is not affected.

Mechanics:

1d6 Cosmetic Transform (cold food to warm food)

-1 Lim: Only to heat food in the interior of a small pot.

-1/2 OIF: Cooking Pot

-1/2 Incantations throughout

-1/2 Gestures throughout, stir the pot

-1 Extra Time: 5 Minutes

Real Cost 1.1

Guest joen00b

I don't have my book with me, but I am going to do a write up for a Damage Shield usable on others and a spped deprivating spell. More to come later, but I would like to see how others would build said spells.

Originally posted by Snarf

There's not much point in me mentioning this, since the spell already only costs 1 point, but a 1d6 transform seems like overkill to me, for the body of a small pot of food. If there was some way to buy a 1 pip of effect, I think that would be enough.

I actually would have gone with something more allong the lines of a Change Environment spell. Just my $.02

Originally posted by joen00b

I don't have my book with me, but I am going to do a write up for a Damage Shield usable on others and a spped deprivating spell. More to come later, but I would like to see how others would build said spells.

Spidery Sentries:

The spell creates a number of 6" spiders which crawl over the caster, biting anyone who makes contact with the caster's person. The caster can command some of the spiders to crawl onto another person, who is then similarly protected for the duration of the spell.

1/2d6 RKA, Continuous, Damage Shield, UOO (+1, usable by self and 4? others), 0 END Persistent, Duration 1 minute (-0), Gestures, Incantations, OIF Expendable (spider eggs, -1/2), 22 points.

Poisonous OptionAdd 1d6 END Drain, same advantages and limitations plus Linked (-1/2). Cost 18 points.

Word of Slowness:

By uttering a single word of power, the caster slows time for all within range, providing a tremendous advantage. Note that allies are affected as well.

Suppress SPD 7d6 (standard effect: 2 SPD), AOE (14" Radius, +1 1/2), Personal Immunity, 0 END, Uncontrolled (uttering the counter-word, or 1 minute), multiple uses do not stack (-1/2), Incantations, Concentration (1/2 DCV, -1/4), 65 points.

There was mentioned on how does one do a "binding" spell. I thought of a couple ways to accomplish that effect in Hero.

To really do a binding spell, it sounds like a Transform effect. The Transform ends when powerful Evil Magic or perhaps True Love.

Note the spell has to be cast on each person.

Mechanics

8D6 Minor Transform - Standard Effect (80pts)

(Add about -3 Limitations)

20 real points

Now the Transformation adds one of the following limitations (depending on the nature of the binding)

10pts Psychological Disad: In Love with X

10pts Physical Disadvantage: Unable to cheat on wife physically

10pts Psychological Disad: Unable to leave wife

or any other 10 pts of Disadvantage

If you want to be "fair" you can give 10 points as some throwaway gift to the bond.

10 pts +3 Overall Skill Levels, Lim: -2 only when working directly with the bonding process (These levels won't help in standard use, but if your bonded one ever gets kidnapped, you get +3 to any roll to help get her back.)

Originally posted by Talon

Suppress SPD 7d6 (standard effect: 2 SPD), AOE (14" Radius, +1 1/2), Personal Immunity, 0 END, Uncontrolled (uttering the counter-word, or 1 minute), multiple uses do not stack (-1/2), Incantations, Concentration (1/2 DCV, -1/4), 65 points.

Don't use 0 END Uncontrolled; use 1 Continuing Fuel Charge Lasts 5 Minutes for a -1/2 Limitation instead of paying for the Advantages. Not only does it make it much cheaper (and it's automatically zero END) but 5 minutes is 300 phases...so even if you've only got one fuel charge for the day, 300 phases should be long enough for pretty much anything you need or want to do! :)

Originally posted by Talon

Spidery Sentries:

The spell creates a number of 6" spiders which crawl over the caster, biting anyone who makes contact with the caster's person. The caster can command some of the spiders to crawl onto another person, who is then similarly protected for the duration of the spell.

you could also make a more powerful type where the spiders don't just attack things that come in contact with the damage shield but actually latch on to the attacker and keeps attacking. ( something like sticky continuous.)

1/2d6 RKA, Continuous, Damage Shield, UOO (+1, usable by self and 4? others), 0 END Persistent, Duration 1 minute (-0), Gestures, Incantations, OIF Expendable (spider eggs, -1/2), 22 points.

Does the damage represent one nasty spider bite or a bunch of tiny spider bites? Maybe it could be reduced penetration, like an animal bite.

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Don't use 0 END Uncontrolled; use 1 Continuing Fuel Charge Lasts 5 Minutes for a -1/2 Limitation instead of paying for the Advantages. Not only does it make it much cheaper (and it's automatically zero END) but 5 minutes is 300 phases...so even if you've only got one fuel charge for the day, 300 phases should be long enough for pretty much anything you need or want to do! :)

But that would limit you to using the spell once a day. You'd probably want to use this at every battle.

Originally posted by Snarf

There's not much point in me mentioning this, since the spell already only costs 1 point, but a 1d6 transform seems like overkill to me, for the body of a small pot of food. If there was some way to buy a 1 pip of effect, I think that would be enough.

I agree. Isn't there a chart in The Hero System Rulebook about, how much mass equals a certain amount of body?

Guest Worldmaker

Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?

The Immortality Jar

This spell allows the caster to remove his life force from his body and place it in a sealed container, rendering him unaging and unkillable for as long as the jar remains intact.

The jar radiates magically once the spell is complete.

Because the effects of this spell are perpetual, it is purchased like a spell-like ability once it is "cast", rather than through the caster's Spell Pool. Once cast, this spell cannot be reversed except through breaking the jar.

Note that the Endurance Cost of the spell is only paid upon casting; once the spell is in place, the caster no longer pays Endurance to maintain it.

The Immortality Jar:Healing: 1d6 (Regeneration; 1 Body per Turn), Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection (Does Not Resurrect if Jar is Destroyed or Significant Pieces of the Body Are Kept Separated), Costs Endurance to Activate (+½), Persistent (+½) (135 Active Points); Self Only (-½), Extra Time (1 Turn; -1¼) and Life Support: Longevity (Does Not Age) and Body +30 - Only to Prevent Death (-2). Endurance Cost: 13

Real Cost: 50 Points

I don't think you need the +30 BODY - Only to prevent death (-2).

Ressurection adder will work even if you past 30 below -BODY of death. It doesn't work (and the victim is permentantly killed) in the one defined case (which in this case would be the destruction of the jar).

Hmm... Could the jar be an innocent young child? Or even better, leave hints that it is the young child so the heroes leave the jar alone and instead go after an innocent child. :D

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by Blue Jogger

I don't think you need the +30 BODY - Only to prevent death (-2).

Ressurection adder will work even if you past 30 below -BODY of death. It doesn't work (and the victim is permentantly killed) in the one defined case (which in this case would be the destruction of the jar).

Part of the point of the spell was allowing someone to get rammed through the chest with a sword and do the ultra-intimidating "look down, sneer, then pull the blade from their body" thing... its not just supposed to keep you alive, but make you amazingly hard to hurt as well.

Hmm... Could the jar be an innocent young child? Or even better, leave hints that it is the young child so the heroes leave the jar alone and instead go after an innocent child. :D

Don't see why not...