HERO Lexicon

Vorvodoss

This is more a question for Steve and the gang but if anyone has actually done this, please let me know.

There are so many unique acronyms in HERO that sometimes us newbies get lost in all the letters. I was thinking, it would be cool to have a printable version (detailed with c.f. page numbers) of the Fifth Edition glossary/lexicon. If nothing like this exists yet, would it be legal for one of us to do it? Just something to think about, guys.

Hmm... I have to say that copyright and IP issues asided, I don't see a lot of need for a product like that. Every copy of the 5E rulebook (aka FREd here on the boards) has a thorough glossary, on pp. 6-10. If the upcoming HERO System Sidekick also has one, you could even get a copy for each of your players to refer to, assuming they don't want to invest in a FREd themselves.

There's also a "Commonly Used Abbreviations" page in the FAQ which covers most of the other widely circulated terms.

Originally posted by Vorvodoss

Too funny. Thanks all. Hey, could someone tell me what FREd means? LOL

*hangs head in shame...such a newbie* (but loving the system sooooooo much)

FREd = Fifth Revised Edition. There's a funny story to it, but it's shorthand for the big fat HERO rules book.

BBB is the Big Blue Book. otherwise known as 4th Edition. (Quite a few people here are still using 4th Edition rules.)

I just picked up FREd (look at me, I'm cool like the cool kids) last week and had never really looked at HERO before. I've never even seen the BBB.

It was funny, I went into the local game shop and said: I'm sick of playing a kid's rpg (d20), I want something that will be flexible but also give me the tools to build anything I want and yet remain balanced. The clerk said "Well, you could either go with GURPS or HERO." I told him I didn't like GURPS because they have spelling mistakes aplenty in their newest edition (I know, but I have a degree in English and I'm weird) and then asked him what his opinion on the HERO System was. He said that he had never played it but that those who did wouldn't touch anything else and LOVED the system. I took a chance and bought both FREd and FH.

Can I just say...now I know what the clerk was talking about.

I have so many great...well, I think they're great...ideas for rping and have found that the d20 just makes things way too generic. I started with second edition dnd and was playing 3e the day it came out. I've tried the original Call of Cthulhu (not a BAD system, just hard) and have played a little White Wolf (not a huge fan). The worst system by far has to be West End Games's Star Wars...wow, what a bad game.

Thanks for the warm welcome...and yes, I'm just another looney in a padded cell.

Just remember not to get discouraged in the face of a much smaller player base, and you'll do fine.

As far as Acronyms, you'll pick it up fine. We mostly use the same ones over and over so if nothing else the contextual clues will give it away eventually.

You'll know you are getting it when you read "AP" in a block of text and know whether it means Armor Piercing or Active Points without even realizing it could be ambiguous ;)