Eosin's Wheel of Time Characters

Eosin

I felt like creating a few Hero Characters for my Wheel of Time webpage and thought I would see what some of you thought of them and point out any obvious defincies in the write-ups.

I probably will not make up the magic system for Wheel of Time in Hero so I will just whack on a VPP to represent that when I build channelers. Most of these characters should be usable in just about any fantasy world....all be it they are the notable characters and will often be powerful in terms of points spent.

I use a little faster speed chart than most Hero Players - mine runs from 3 for soldiers to a max of 6 for Legolas and Xena like characters. It is just my scale so bump down the speed if you like.

Lan

Val Char Cost
18 STR 8
23 DEX 39
20 CON 20
15 BODY 10
15 INT 5
21 EGO 22
25 PRE 15
14 COM 2
11/14 PD 4
11/14 ED 4
5 SPD 17
18 REC 0
60 END 0
45 STUN 1
9" RUN62" SWIM04 1/2" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 154

Cost Power END
20 Warder's Constitution: +10 REC (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
10 Warder's Constitution: +20 END (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
10 Warder's Constitution: +10 STUN
7 Sense Shadowspawn: Detect A Class Of Things 12-, Sense
13 Aes Sedai Bond: Mind Link (One Specific Mind), Any distance, No LOS Needed, Psychic Bond, Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (50 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), Always On (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)
3 Aes Sedai Bond: Power Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type Of Attack Limited Type of Attack (-1/2)
1 Aes Sedai Bond: +1 Mental Defense (5 points total)
8 Fancloth Cloak: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Chameleon (-1/2) 2
4 Battle Ready: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points -1), Only Works Against Limited Type Of Attack Limited Type of Attack (-1/2)
18 Power-wroght Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1) 4
8 Sword Form: Missile Deflection (Arrows, Slings, Etc.), Required Hands One-Handed (+0) (10 Active Points); Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4)
30 Find Weakness: Blade Attacks 13- (Related Group of Attacks)
Powers Cost: 132

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike, Must Follow Block
4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
4 Joint Lock/Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND; Target Falls
4 Killing Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1d6
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; +20 STR to Disarm roll
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +25 STR vs. Grabs
4 Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 NND
5 Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +6d6 Strike
5 Sacrifice Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, STR +6d6 Strike
5 Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, +20 STR to take weapon away
4 Weapon Bind: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, +20 STR
8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
1 Weapon Element: Blades, Default Element
Martial Arts Cost: 67

Cost Skill
3 KS: Aes Sedai Traditions (INT-based) 12-
3 KS: Flora and Fauna (INT-based) 12-
4 KS: Hearth Lore/Traditions (INT-based) 13-
3 KS: History (INT-based) 12-
3 KS: Items of Power (INT-based) 12-
3 KS: Nobility (INT-based) 12-
3 KS: The One Power (INT-based) 12-
5 AK: Border Lands (INT-based) 14-
5 AK: Blight (INT-based) 14-
3 AK: Westlands (INT-based) 12-
4 PS: Ranger (INT-based) 13-
11 Analyze: Combat 16-
3 Acrobatics 14-
2 Animal Handler (Equines) 14-
3 Breakfall 14-
1 Bureaucratics 8-
3 Climbing 14-
5 Concealment 13-
3 Disguise 12-
0 Gambling 8-
3 High Society 14-
3 Paramedics 12-
3 Riding 14-
3 Find Traps 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Sleight Of Hand 14-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Streetwise 14-
8 Survival (Desert, Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical, Urban) 12-
11 Tactics 16-
3 Teamwork 14-
9 Tracking 15-
4 +2 with any single attack
10 +2 with HTH Combat
16 +2 with All Combat
20 +2 Overall
12 +4 with any three related Skills
10 Defense Maneuver: I-IV
1 TF: Equines, Two-Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles
8 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Lances, Off Hand, Staffs, Staffs
Skills Cost: 206

Cost Perk
27 Contact: Borderland Nobility (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: extremely useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (+2) (27 Active Points) 11-
14 PERK: Lord of the Seven Towers: Knight, Member of the Aristocracy/Higher Nobility, Membership, Security Clearance
5 Money: Well Off
5 REP: Aan' allein, The Last Lord of Malkier (A medium-sized group; 11-) +5/+5d6
Perks Cost: 51

Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
15 Combat Sense 12-
3 Lightsleep
5 Resistance (5 points): Warders Ego
Talents Cost: 29

Total Character Cost: 639

Val Disadvantages
5 Enraged: Aes Sedai Disabled (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-
20 Hunted: The Dark One 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
10 Hunted: The White Tower 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
5 Distinctive Features: Warder (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
25 Psychological Limitation: At war with the Shadow (Very Common; Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: In love with Nyn (Common; Strong)
15 Physical Limitation: Bonded to Moiraine (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 95

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 469

The Aiel call him Aan'allein which means "a man who is an entire nation" in the Old Tongue.

Uncrowned King of Malkier, a land which was swallowed by the Blight shortly after his birth in 953 NE. He is Dai Shan (DYE SHAN) a Diademed Battle Lord of the Malkieri and the last surviving Malkieri lord. At the age of sixteen he began a one-man war against the Blight and the Shadow which continued until he was bonded as Warder by Moiraine in 979 NE. Warder. His full name is al'Lan Mandragoran and his title is Lord of the Seven Towers. (LoC,Glossary)

Physical Description

He is very tall with shoulder length hair held by a leather headband or hadori (New Spring). Tall with long hair which is "gray at the temples, held back from his face by a narrow leather band. That face was made from stony planes and angles, weathered but unlined despite the gray in his hair." (TEotW,Ch2) He has blue eyes, very tall, his long hair is grayer than it used to be. (ACoS,Ch12)

Lan is arguably the best warrior in all of the Wheel of Time world. I debated a 6 speed and +2 OCV swords but decided that he was pretty gross as built.

When using his Martial Arts - these are sword forms and they all have flowery names. His HTH skill should be limited to about half of his martial arts.

I followed the thread on the previous board incarnation. So I am pretty familiar with the thread....I may look through it so I don't re-invent the wheel.

I have already notes some things that I want to do differently with Lan. I may try to polish him off tonight and get one of the other really hard and contriversial builds out of the way: Mat.

If anybody has any recommendations on who they would like to see after Mat I am all game. I am also game for trying to nail down organizational write-ups like White Cloaks, Dark Friends, Queen's Guard, Defenders of the Stone, Stone Dogs, Maidens, Trolloks, Myrrdraal, or anyone else so don't be shy about recommending that I write anyone up. I will probably defer on the Forsaken for the time being since they are complicated and you have to work on balancing their powers not only against each other but also against Rand and the Wonder Girls. I can use most of these builds in my own Homebrew so they are just part of pregame creation for me.

I have refined Lan a little bit.

Here is my first shot at Mat. He has some whacky stuff to get what he needs. I am sure this will change over time. This is also not a "usable" NPC since so much of his stuff is GM Fiat.

Mat

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
25 DEX 30
15 CON 10
11 BODY 2
15 INT 5
18 EGO 16
15 PRE 5
16 COM 3
14 PD 2
14 ED 2
5 SPD 10
6 REC 0
30 END 0
26 STUN 0
7" RUN22" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 90

Cost Power END
10 DO's Luck: +5 DEX: DO's Luck (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
10 DO's Luck: +1 SPD: DO's Luck (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
35 Luck: DO's Luck 7d6
35 DO's Luck: +14 Overall (140 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1)
121 Foxhead Medallion: Force Wall (20 PD/20 ED/30 Mental Defense/30 Power Defense), Trigger: One Power (+1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (875 Active Points); Independent (-2), No Conscious Control (-2), Only Works Against Limited Type Of Attack Very Limited Type of Attack (-1), Self Only (-1/2), Instant (-1/2), IIF (-1/4)
8 Ashendari: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (Focus: Ashendari; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)
20 Ashendari: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 239

4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; +10 STR to Disarm roll
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +1d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
1 Weapon Element: Staffs
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
Martial Arts Cost: 25

Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 14-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Climbing 14-
3 Concealment 12-
5 Defense Maneuver: I-II
3 Fast Draw 14-
22 Gambling (Board Games, Card Games, Dice Games, Dog Racing, Horse Racing, Roulette) 18-
3 Lockpicking 14-
3 Persuasion 12-
3 Riding 14-
3 Security Systems 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Seduction 12-
5 Sleight Of Hand 15-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Streetwise 12-
9 Tactics 15-
20 +10 with single Characteristic Roll - Tactics
6 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Off Hand, Staffs
10 +2 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 116

Cost Perk
24 Contact: Voices in his head (Contact has: extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact is slavishly loyal to character), Organization Contact (+2) (24 Active Points) 11-
5 Money: Gambeling Winnings: Well Off
5 REP: Taveren (A small to medium sized group; 14-) +5/+5d6
5 REP: Hornblower (A small to medium sized group; 8-) +5/+5d6
Perks Cost: 39

Cost Talent
3 Ambidexterity (Reduce Off Hand Penalty to -2)
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
6 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED) - DO's Luck (12 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Only Effects cannot be controlled (+1)
38 Danger Sense: Dice in his head (Area: Any Area, Intuitional, Sensitivity: Any Danger) 15-
3 Lightsleep
5 Resistance (5 points): Holes in his head
Talents Cost: 61

Total Character Cost: 570

Val Disadvantages
15 Dependent NPC: Olver 8- (Incompetent)
20 Hunted: The Dark One 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
5 Hunted: The Women in his life 11- (Less Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
5 Physical Limitation: Missing memories (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
10 Physical Limitation: Drawn to the Dagger (Infrequently; Greatly Impairing)
10 Distinctive Features: Taveren (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10 Psychological Limitation: Lazy (Common; Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Don't Get Involved (Common; Moderate)

Disadvantage Points: 85

Experience Required: 410

A wiry body and brown eyes that have the glint of mischief in them and very quick hands.

When young he was mischivous, always up to pranks. He was greedy for money and adventure; he was to get both! Born within a few weeks of Rand and Perrin he is born of the blood of Arad's line.

Extremely lucky, especially when the game is one of chance, Mat loves to gamble which has gotten him into trouble many times - winning approx 70 to 80% of the time. He has moments of unbelievable luck, where no matter what he does, and what the chances are, he will win. His other pastime is chasing women, at which he is most often successful. Although he may have met his match in Tylin.

On Winternight, Trollocs attacked his house. He was led away by Moiraine Damodred with Rand and Perrin with the belief he may be the Dragon Reborn.

While in Shadar Logoth, he stole a dagger from Mordeth with greed in his heart. The dagger, as tainted as Shadar Logoth, embeded itself on Mat making him suspicious and hating, until he was dangerous to be around and saw friends as enemies. Before it became rooted to his bone, Moiraine helped him to hold the taint away until he could be properly Healed.

The dagger was stolen from Mat by Padan Fain in Fal Dara. Mat, Perrin, Rand, Ingtar and Shienaran soldiers followed Padan Fain to Falme. Here Mat reaquired the dagger and blew the Horn of Valere to fight the Seanchan.

Mat was taken back to the White Tower and was Healed of the Dagger. This Healing almost killed him. During the Healing, Mat unconciously spoke the Old Tongue, ordering men in battle. Afterwards Mat discovered the dagger had taken away many of his memories, leaving holes.

He travelled from Tar Valon to Tear to save three stuck up girls, getting no thanks for his troubles. Without any direction, he entered the redstone doorway and visited the Aelfinn (snakes) where he was given a prophecy:

To die and live once more a part of what once was: Being hanged; other men's memories.

To marry the Daughter of the Nine Moons: Tuon.

To give up half the light of the world to save the world.

This information led him to Rhuidean where he entered the land of the Eelfinn (foxes), again by a redstone door. Here he was given three wishes:

To have the holes in his memory, holes in his life, filled: Other mens memories.

To have a way to be free from Aes Sedai and the Power: The fox head medallion.

To be away from the foxes and back to Rhuidean: Self explanatory.

The price he paid for these wishes was to die (it is believed). Rand returned life to him via good old fashioned CPR. Mat also received an Aes Sedai wrought spear - called an ashandari - for his troubles. For more on Mat's prophecies see the WOT FAQ.

Because these other mens memories (most of which are from Manatheren, and some from before the doorway) he can now: ride a horse very well, speak, read and understand the old tongue fluently, understand battles and war better than anyone else.

Never a good one for duty (or so he believes), he will do what he must, no matter the cost to himself and is always ready to help when he can. It is this and the memories that got him an army around him, with the name of Shen an Calhar - The Band of the Red Hand. Nalesean, Talmanes and Daerid were his generals, however Nalesean died in Ebou Dar.

After killing Melindhra in self defence, Mat went to Caemlyn where he was promptly killed by Rahvin's lightning. Because of the size of balefire Rand used to kill Rahvin, his death was undone (so is that twice he has died, or not at all?).

He promised Rand to take Elayne to Caemlyn, which landed him in Ebou Dar trying to protect her. Whilst there, Nynaeve and Elayne apologised to him for their previous behaviour and offered themselves for his protection. He became mates with Birgitte, sharing a secret. He moved into the Tarasian Palace, where Tylin promptly started chasing him, without mercy. Apparently he is good in bed and has become her Pretty, or as the Seanchan call him: Toy. She dressed him in lace and bright clothing.

When Elayne and Nynaeve and company left Ebou Dar he was looking for Olver and then a building fell on him during the Seanchan invasion, sustaining a broken leg and broken ribs and injuring his hip. He was last seen trying to escape Ebou Dar and the Seanchan, with Tuon, Selucia, Egeanin, Bayle, Renna, Seta, Bethamin, Edesina, Teslyn, Joline, Olver, Juilin, Thom, Noal, Thera, Vanin and the remaining Redarms. Quite a strange group.

When he hears the dice rolling in his head, "it is almost like a warning that a fight was just over the next hill, now." His father is Abell, and his mother, Natti. He has two sisters, Bodewhin and Eldrin. He as also become a foster father to Olver.

He is a generic Warder. These guys are still tough and the Aes Sedai bond is pretty expensive so their point total is fairly high.

Average Warder

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
17 DEX 21
18 CON 16
13 BODY 6
13 INT 3
14 EGO 8
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
6/11 PD 3
6/11 ED 2
4 SPD 13
17 REC 0
46 END 0
40 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 82

Cost Power END
5 Warders Bond: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); DEF only (-1)
20 Warders Bond: +10 REC (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
5 Warders Bond: +10 END (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
10 Warders Bond: +10 STUN (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
5 Warders Bond: Power Defense (5 points)
5 Warders Bond: +5 Mental Defense (8 points total)
22 Warders Bond: Mind Link (One Specific Mind), Any distance, No LOS Needed, Psychic Bond, Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (50 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)
8 Fan Cloth Cloak: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Chameleon (-1/2) 2
12 Weapon - Sword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 +1 (plus STR) (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)
8 Light Mail: Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 100

4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; +10 STR to Disarm roll
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
4 Weapon Bind: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, +10 STR
1 Weapon Element: Blades
Martial Arts Cost: 21

Cost Skill
3 KS: Aes Sedai (INT-based) 12-
3 KS: The One Power (INT-based) 12-
3 KS: The Shadow (INT-based) 12-
3 KS: The Westlands (INT-based) 12-
2 PS: Warder 11-
3 Acrobatics 12-
2 Animal Handler 14-
3 Climbing 12-
3 Fast Draw 12-
3 High Society 14-
3 Paramedics 12-
3 Riding 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Streetwise 14-
3 Tactics 12-
3 Teamwork 12-
5 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Off Hand
5 Defense Maneuver: I-II
10 +1 Overall
8 +1 with All Combat
Skills Cost: 77

Cost Perk
18 Contact: White Tower (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: extremely useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (+2) (18 Active Points) 8-
7 Fringe Benefit: Member of the Lower Nobility, Membership: White Tower
4 REP: Warder (A large group; 11-) +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 29

Cost Talent
3 Lightsleep
15 Combat Sense 12-
5 Resistance (5 points)
Talents Cost: 23

Total Character Cost: 332

Val Disadvantages
15 Physical Limitation: Bonded (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)
5 Psychological Limitation: Devoted to Aes Sedai (Uncommon; Moderate)
5 Distinctive Features: Warder (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 25

Experience Required: 212

Warders serve the Aes Sedai of the White Tower (Magic Users). Through a bond created with the One Power the Warder Gains some exceptional abilities. The Aes Sedai also gain from the bond but are more close mouthed about its effects. Warders can be compelled by the Aes Sedai.

• 1 year later...

Re: Eosin's Wheel of Time Characters

As you can see from the posts above, the recent shutoff of HTML code on the Hero Games discussion boards has royally scramble Eosin's excellent WoT character writeups. :nonp: Eosin has posted a lot of material to the boards in that format, but unfortunately he hasn't had the opportunity to try to unscramble all of them. However, he did graciously give me permission to make those items related to HERO game conversions available again to interested viewers, until he can make a more permanent solution. (I suspect my interest in conversions is fairly well known around here by now.) :o

I was able to reconstruct the three writeups as they were originally presented, and then Save them as both RTF documents and HTML files, both fully legible. I've attached the individual DOC files and a .zip of the three HTML, below. Please let me know if you have any trouble reading them.