Detective work...

Enforcer84

Okay I am working on refitting my Batman Clone for my Hero A Day thread (I'm a day behind...) and I am kind of in a rut. I want to make a top level detective; but I am unsure as to what skills would be best for him.

Given:

Conversation

Criminology

Deduction

Forensic Medicine

Interrogation

SS: Ballistics

SS: Chemistry

Shadowing

Streetwise

Any really good KS's or SS's that would jump out at you?

Also for another (even better) detective, I was looking into perhaps some Talents or "Super Skills" that an analytical genius detective might have.

Thanks in advance.

Well, as far as talents, and based on which version of Batman,

you could make a case for:

Absolute Range Sense - The Bat makes some incredible shots with the Batarang, often with bounces. You could just give OCV levels, but if you want it a bit more "realistic" this could help explain it.

Absolute Time Sense - Seems like the kind of guy who does not need to synchronize his watch. If you say "Go, in five minutes." He knows when that is.

Ambidexterity (Eliminate Off-Hand Penalty Entirely) - Seen plenty of either hand lockpicking, batarang throwing etc.

Bump Of Direction - Just seems appropriate. He never gets lost.

Combat Luck - Little armor but hard to hurt, adds up to this.

Combat Sense - No question on this one, he lives in a cave, darkness is not going to hinder him in a fight.

Danger Sense - Not Spiderman-level, but enough to reflect a lot of intelligence combined with a lot of experience.

Double Jointed - One of the world's great escape artists.

Eidetic Memory - Another part of the high intellect package.

Environmental Movement - Seen him go through swamp, desert, snow, underbrush, and never tangle his cape.

Lightning Calculator - The high intellect thing again.

Lightsleep - You can't sneak up on the Bat, even when he sleeps.

Perfect Pitch - Actually referred to on the 60's TV show.

Resistance - Hard to interrogate, if not almost impossible.

Simulate Death - Seen it in the comics, I am pretty sure.

Speed Reading (x10) - Intellect again.

Universal Translator - Knows so many languages, what's the difference.

Just my take, and this may be the uber-powered version of the Bat, but they pretty much all fit. Part of the reason he can get along without major powers and still be useful is the huge amount of non-powered stuff he can do.

KA.

I built a super detective with Precognition and Poscognition, both requiring skill rolls. Not only could he work out what had happened at a crime scene, he could also work out what the criminal might do next. Obviously a GM might have other ideas. :)

He also had Mind Scan (he was a super-intelligent mentalist), but with appropriate Limitations, I suppose you could have that as a super skill too (ie the detective can find the person he is looking for based on a character analysis and has a better chance if he knows exactly who is is looking for).

I haven't got his sheet to hand, but I am pretty sure he had SS: Psychology and I think SS: Criminal Psychology too. I think it's safe to say Batman (or his clone) would have these.

SS: Anatomy, SS: Biology, SS: Medicine. All useful if one is examining a body (or a live victim). I think I gave him Paramedic too.

SS: Physics and SS: Mathematics might be useful, but perhaps only at the 11- level. Working out the explosive force of a villain's gun might involve that sort of skill.

KS: Known Criminals, KS: Law, KS: Criminal Law, KS: Organised Crime, KS: Police Procedures: KS [Your City Here] Underworld.

Some of the sciences that are regularly used in forensics include (to give a shortened, alphabetized list) audiology, ballistics, biochemistry, botany, computer science, environmental science, genetics, graphology (handwriting analysis, that is; I'm not sure I have the correct term there), meteorology, microbiology, organic chemistry, physics, psychiatry, psychology, sociology, and zoology. How useful they are under any particular circumstance depends on what sort of crime is being investigated.

Crimson Arrow has some good suggestions (as ususal). I also did a super detective with the Precognitive crime scene analysis and the manhunting Mind Scan. Great minds think alike :P

Someone posted this one time (and please take credit if you did)...KS: Everything 24-. That way even if it was a super obscure detail, the detective would still have a good chance of figuring it out.

Police Commsioner: "We found traces of a rare alloy called nickle silver on the corpse."

Dark Detective: "Which is used in the manufacture of telecommunications equipment. I think Black Harlequin is hiding out in one of the abandoned telecom factories on the outskirts of town."