Reflective Hero: Help me please

xgotghrrl

Hey mates,

Why is it that what seem like the simplest char concepts are the hardest to build...well maybe it's just me but none the less.

Anyway, here's the concept.

Boomerang: Australian Super.

The Char has one power, only one, he can create a reflective energy barrier around himself or around a small group of people that can absorb energy and reflect it back wherever the char wants. So in theory Storm comes along and blasts Boomerang with a lightning bolt...the energy crackles around the char for a second or two and BAM! right back at her. A solider unloads a round of bullets at the char with an AK47, the bullets swirl around the shield and Blammo back at ya. Superman attempts to punch the char, the force of the blow is absorbed into the sheild and Boomerang can then hit back with the same amount of force. And finally one nifty little trick the Player wants is something along the line of...the char is knocked off the roof of a 65 story sky scraper and as he hits the ground, the reflective field absorbs the force of impact and the char then redirects the energy allowing him to bounce back to the top of the building to continue kicking butt.

So...how would you go about building that and what limitations would you suggest to prevent the power from being too abusive. One thing that I am insisting on myself is that energy can only be stored up for only a few moments...no storing up for later.

Thank you.

Xgoth

Re: Reflective Hero: Help me please

Originally posted by xgotghrrl

Hey mates,

Why is it that what seem like the simplest char concepts are the hardest to build...well maybe it's just me but none the less.

Anyway, here's the concept.

Boomerang: Australian Super.

The Char has one power, only one, he can create a reflective energy barrier around himself or around a small group of people that can absorb energy and reflect it back wherever the char wants. So in theory Storm comes along and blasts Boomerang with a lightning bolt...the energy crackles around the char for a second or two and BAM! right back at her. A solider unloads a round of bullets at the char with an AK47, the bullets swirl around the shield and Blammo back at ya. Superman attempts to punch the char, the force of the blow is absorbed into the sheild and Boomerang can then hit back with the same amount of force. And finally one nifty little trick the Player wants is something along the line of...the char is knocked off the roof of a 65 story sky scraper and as he hits the ground, the reflective field absorbs the force of impact and the char then redirects the energy allowing him to bounce back to the top of the building to continue kicking butt.

So...how would you go about building that and what limitations would you suggest to prevent the power from being too abusive. One thing that I am insisting on myself is that energy can only be stored up for only a few moments...no storing up for later.

Thank you.

Xgoth

Well, this one is a little puzzling in some aspects, but should be doable.

1) For anything Ranged, you just buy Missle Deflection (Reflection) at the proper level, along with some OCV levels to make sure you don't miss. The normal way for this to work is instantly, but if you really insist, there is "Extra Time" as a Limitation.

2) The hand to hand stuff is a bit trickier. The main things you are trying to accomplish are:

a) Damage Coming in does not harm you

B) Damage gets sent back to the original person who attacked you.

This can be done a variety of ways.

It mostly boils down to using two different powers to create one effect.

a) Armor, Force Field, whatever, to keep incoming damage from hurting you.

B) Some type of attack power EB (no range) Physical, EB (no range) Energy, built as a Damage Shield, or with Trigger, to do damage to your attacker.

Just buy enough to emulate whatever attack hit you.

KA.

To add to KA's reply you'll also want Knockback resistance since the chr will absorb the kinetic damage and some flight or teleport with lim: crosses intervening spave, to reflect his bounce back from a fall.

This is allready expensive but I'd reccomend the variable advantage adder.

I had a chr like this one or two editions ago and this is what my gm through at me to keep me in check.

Telekinetic entangle- levitating some one in mid air out of arm's reach of anything.

Environmental attacks- super cooling or heating the atmosphere taken from a confrontation of the X-men and the Hellfire club. Acts nnd vs life support.

Mental powers and drains still work against the pc.

Just becouse you can send an attack back doesn't neccesarily mean you can hit the attacker.

Brief comment, I had a supervillainess, Shiela Shield, whose main power was reflection/deflection and SPD 12. She hung out with agents who couldn't shoot that well, but they just had to hit her and she'd deflect it at the good guys. She had insane reflective abilities so they'd just mass fire at her and she'd disburse their shots so they'd be sure to hit. Worked pretty well, the PCs liked the battle. They came close to losing that one.