Magic Question/Game Balance

PESchulze

I'm starting up a FH campaign, and at the moment am designing the magic systems that will be in use. My big question here is on the Real Point Cost/3 idea put forth forth in the book. Is anyone using this? And if so, does this keep the wizards somewhat balanced with the rest of the characters? Using the actual (Real Point) cost for spells seems a bit high, but I'm concerned that dividing this by a third will yield an end cost that's too low... Decisions, decisions... :)

Thanks for any help out there!

It's sort of like D&D characters (minus the lame magic system). Mages are just powerful, and should be. At 1-2 eps a game they're still spending lots of points on Spells and appropriate skills. Just like fighters do on Levels and skills and talents.

I'll never go back for Hero games that rely heavily on magic, from Starwars to Steampunk to straight up Fantasy.

Originally posted by PESchulze

Sorry, I wasn't clear...I meant "end cost" as in the total cost of the end-result spell or power, not End cost as in Endurance.

Doh, that's what I get for skimming.

On a related topic, I'm also working on a fantasy campaign and need advice about magic systems. What does everyone think about real cost/5 for a magic system that uses one power skill and a VPP with limitations?

That would work but I don't want to use knowledge skills for each spell. I guess I should explain it in a little more detail.

Basically, I'm trying to Herofy the magic system from Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. In that system, people cast spells by finding "magicites." Magicites are tied to a specific area and only work there. If you leave an area you have to find new magicites.

Each magicite allows someone to cast a single spell when alone or they can fuse their casting with another person and use various magicite combinations to form more powerful spells. For instance, two fire magicites used at the same time can fuse to cast a more powerful fira spell.

The power of the spell is determined by a persons magical ability. Different races have different levels of magical ability and the ability can be improved with experience. So, spellcasting power is an ability characters have to purchase and it's not built into the magicite.

So, I've got all this written out as either a VPP or a multipower. I've tried to keep it as close as possible to the source material, so each spell isn't learned like how magic usually works, it's just found or taken from a monster or something like that.

Its working for my game

I offered the Grimore version as an alternative and of the two magic users one went for it.

The new system has the following limitation - no power frame works, must have a required power roll. The advantage real cost / 3. The end result for the character that opted the new system was a lot more spells with chance for spell failure. Its made it a lot more interesting actually! There are a couple of spells I need to revisit as they don't have any endurance costs and are basically zero phase actions to activate. One is a +3 overall to up to 8 party members. So long as the caster keeps making their rolls (11- in this case) the blessing kicks off.

I think it was well thought out and the fact that Hero Designer v2 supports this is a huge boon. Bravo to Steve and company.

I don't like the Real Cost/3 system, but I don't doubt that it can work and be balanced. I don't adjust the real cost at all, but I do let magic be purchased in frameworks. It tends to work out the same. I don't want wizards to simply be magical artillery in my games, so I require all significant attack spells to have significant limitations: Extra Time, Increased END, Side Effects, etc. In my campaign world, if you want more combat strength, you want fighters, not wizards.

Don't get me wrong: wizards are quite useful in the game even in combat, and not just for protection, movement, escape and support, but also for dealing damage to creatures that are difficult to hurt with normal fighter's weapons and techniques. Most wizard's attack spells will have some unique characteristic that sets them apart from mundane weapons, like Affects Desolid, Indirect, Extra-Dimentional, Drains, Flashes, Transforms, Mental Powers, etc.

Against an army of orcs, the fighters do most of the work, but a wizard is certainly handy. Against a nigh-invulnerable demon, a wizard is almost essential, with fighters being handy also.

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

In my campaign world, if you want more combat strength, you want fighters, not wizards.

I love it, that is what makes this game so damn good. Each GM can tweek the game anyway they see fit to tell the story they want to tell. Your view point on real/3 is just as valid as proponents of it.

I am using both types of system in my world. Perhaps in 6 months I'll be able to say if the difference between the two systems is significant enough to be a factor.

• 2 weeks later...

am I missing something?

I stumbled across this topic after my gaming group recently switched to a fantasy hero campaign (75 base +75 disad), and can't seem to understand why you need a special modifier for mage spells.

In our group, we use the standard advantages and limitations. The only house rules we use for magic are no multipowers, and all spells require gestures, incantations, and OAF. Even then, we usually manage to get decent powers cheap enough that a mage can have 10-12 different spells (6-7 if you want to have skills and stats, too).

Even then, I know I paid more than I could have on a few spells cause I wasn't aware of a few tricks (the dual-version option for usable on others, for example), and made the mistake of taking most of my spells straight from the grimoire (which seems designed more for 200 pt campaigns).

I'm still trying to figure out how to build a light spell with an aoe morale boost (similar to the elven nightlight in Lord of the Rings), that won't cost me a dozen pts or more.

I use many different magic systems all within the same setting. Many Magic Systems are regional/cultural.

Currently, due to where the PCs are located, 5 different Magic Systems have been in play or are about to be, but there are several other systems that have yet to be encountered.

There are five broad archetypes of Magic Systems: VPP based, MPP Based, EC based, Spells as Skills based, and Spells as Individually Paid For Powers.

Currently, the first 4 archetypes have been used, the last has yet to.

Thus far Sortilege, and Obermancy have been the dominant types of magic on display, since one of the party members is an Obermancer (an Elementalist that uses all 4 of the classic Elements), and another plays a Sortiligist. Also, an antagonist that is soon to make an entrance is a Sorcerer. All 3 types of Magic are MPP-based, with a series of overlapping Multipower Pools with Charges on the Reserves. All Spells in this system are Charge Based.

Another type of Magic on display so far is Aeldenaren, an EC-Based END-costing Magic System with Access Talents that must be bought at Character Creation which permit a character to buy Power Constructs based on specific Hero System Powers, as another of the PCs is an Aeldenaren. In the campaign, Aeldenari is the magic of the Haelfinan, the Elf parrallel, and when used by them in its highest form is referred to as Willcrafting. Those with some Haelfinan blood in them (the Old Blooded) sometimes inherit some or all of the Gifts.

The primary antagonist encountered so far has been a practitioner of Magecraft, which is a Spells bought as Skills "Mana" aka END Reserve based system of Magic, wherein each "Spell" is a Skill, and the Active Cost of the Spell is driven by the Skill Roll times 5 (thus Fireball 11- allows the casting of a 55 Active Point Fireball). Some rules apply to the construction of the Spells, but this system actually has worked very nicely in play.

Finally, another powerful system of Magic which is essentially an inclusive magic system (meaning that it assimilates spells from other systems given time), is Wizardry. Wizardry is VPP based, and requires multiple "Spell School" Knowledge Skills or an all-encompasing but less-informative "Spellcraft" Skill-like Talent. Each Wizard must learn new Spells to their "Known Spell List" before they can cast it using their Spell Skills, but once they know the spell may "prepare" it each day as they like. Wizards may have Powers in their Pool with a real cost equal to their VPP Pool x3 (the maximum Active Cost of Spells is still equal to the Pool size as normal) -- this is analogous to dividing the cost of Spells by 3 in a non-VPP system.

The key goal is to keep the systems roughly balanced to each other; while one type of Magic might be more flexible or more powerful or more efficient in certain regards, overall practitioners of all of them should be equally valid as characters.

Other systems of magic which exist in the setting but either havent been encountered, or which the details of which have not been revealed include:

• Divine Casters -- A few varieties, but mostly VPP Based
  • Druidic (Nature Magic) -- EC Based, makes heavy use of Ritual, Window Of Opportunity, and OIF: Bulky, Immobile (Obelisks).
  • Runecrafting -- VPP Based, requires Physical Manifestation
  • A scroll based system that is kind of a combination of Hermetic Magic and Wu Jen -- Essentially Gadget-based, with Scrolls/scripts as gadgets/Foci. To make each scroll is a lengthy, difficult, exacting process requiring exacting care in the selection of ingredients and what not, but thereafter as long as you have the scroll for a particular Spell, you can use it basically like a Superpower in a Fragile Focus. Relies on a Knowledge Skill to create the Scrolls and a Gadget VPP for the Spells the character has on them.
  • A Shaiir-like system of summoning a extraplanar entity and getting powers from them -- a combination system with some summoning spells, but mostly Follower Based. A practitioner would summon/make deals with extraplanar entities for some stuff, and would bind one or two of them long-term to serve them (bought as a Followers). The 1:5 ratio of Followers is roughly analogous to the divide RC by 5 idea in FH.
  • Shamanism -- Havent written this one up yet. In the past Ive broken down Shamanism into three groups -- a Spirtualistic type of Shaman that deals with the "souls of the anceastors" type magic, Totemic Shaman that do the Spirit of the Wolf, Spirit of the Raven type magic, and Animistic Shaman that are kind of comprehensive, dealing with the spirits of all natural things, allowing them to learn the Magic School Skills for Totemic, Spiritualistic, and Elementalist magic. I know what effects they are capable of (from older material based on an outdated Magic System Im not going to be using any more), but haven't statted it yet.
  • Thanomancy -- uses life forces and sacrifices (not intended for PCs -- one of the "dead arts" that were destroyed by the Machtig in the setting). As a dead art, no pun intended, this has not been statted up as yet, though the sort of things it was capable of have been mentioned in history and backstory. Of course at some point someone might try to rediscover this type of magic :D, but until then I dont need mechanics for it so better to leave it open the better to adapt it when it is needed.
  • (True) Necromancy -- good old dark forces of Undeath stuff; the Necromancy of Wizardry is basically a cleaned up and systematic reprise of this much older art in the setting (not intended for PCs -- one of the "dead arts" that were destroyed by the Machtig in the setting). Similar to Sha'iir except rather than dealing w/ outside powers it brings Undead into being. It would be a skill-based Magic System similar to Mage Craft for the Summoning and similar spells, and a powerful True Necromancer might have several followers, like a Wight lieutenant and so forth. Again no pun intended, as a theoretically dead art I havent bothered to work out the details beyond a concept, but rumors of pockets of Necromancers have persisted for 2000+ years, so there are probably practitioners running around still here and there (plus, those damn new-fangled Wizards had to have learned their brand of Necromancy from somewhere).....
  • There are also people that have magical "Gifts" attached to them by the practitioner of one system of magic or another, typically "Divine" or "Nature" based magic. The Druids and the servants of some outer powers ("Dieties" and "Demons"), and Haelfinan Willcrafters/Aeldenaren with the Gift of Willing can grant such Gifts. These are typically affected via Transform bought as small powers and offset with a Distinctive Feature detectible to magical senses.

There will probably be more Magic systems as we go, though all the major ones have been described above since they all have at least a mention in the settings history.

Psionics also exist in the setting, but as a campaign rule Mammalian/warm-blooded creatures dont have any Psionic potential; they are practiced by a race of Lizard folk that either came to the setting from another dimension long ago or were the orginal inhabitants and were usurped by the Haelfinan, depending on who you believe. On the flipside, the Lizard folk have no capability for magic. This is handled as a top-level Campaign restriction for no points.

Magecraft: Skill based Magic System. Each Spell is paid for as a skill with an associated roll. Each Spell Skill is a INT based Skill (9+INT/5) costing 3 pts; each +1 to that Skills Roll costs 2 pts. Alternately, a Mage may buy an 8- Roll with a Spell Skill as a Familiarity for 1 point.A Mage may apply Overall Skill Levels or Skill Levels with INT Based Skills to their Magic Skill Rolls (unless it is a 1 point Familiarity), but may not buy Skill Levels with Spells as a "Tight Group" unless they only have a handful of Spells at the GM's discretion.To determine how many Active Points are available to each Spell Skill, multiply the Skill Roll by 5. Thus an 8- Skill Roll indicates that 40 Active Points are available to that Spell, an 11- Skill Roll indicates that 55 Active Points are available to that Spell, and a 20- Skill Roll indicates 100 Active Points are available. Each Spell does not have to use the full Active Points Available to it. A Mage might buy their Skill Roll up without raising the Active Cost of the Spell to increase their probability of success for example.All Spells require the a Skill Roll with the Spell Skill itself for no Limitation value to be cast. No Spell may take the Required Skill Roll Limitation on a Spell to indicate the associated Spell Skill, but RSR may be used to indicate that another Skill or Characteristic Rolls are required in conjunction with the Spell Skill Roll.The Spell Skill Roll suffers a penalty based upon the Real Cost of the Spell divided by 10 rather than the usual Active Points divied by 10. Thus highly limited Spells will have a higher probablity of success than lightly limited spells.Mages may use a Magic Endurance Reserve with GM's Permission, but must define all of their Spells as using the Magic Endurance Reserve if they have one. The Standard "May Use Either Personal END or END Reserve" +1/4 Advantage may be used in this case on individual Spells where desired.Using this system the following guidelines apply:1) No Spell may be on Charges.2) All Spells must either cost END by default or take the "Costs END" Limitation; the -1/4 Limitation "Only Costs END to Activate" is appropriate in this case.3) Spells may take Reduced END.4) All 0 END or Costs END only to Activate Spells must have a defined termination, expressed either as a duration or a specific and reasonably common event.5) Spells may not be imbedded in a Focus, but may require an item to be cast; use Restrainable instead of Focus in these cases.6) No Concious Control and Independent may not be taken on any Spell.7) Spells must have at least -1/2 in Limitations.8) A Mage must know at least 3 Spells and spend at least 15 points on Spells.Heres a sample practitioner of Magecraft:

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Doran Murfon

Alternate Identities:

Player Name: NPC

attachment.php?s=&postid=101723
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
12 STR 10 2 12 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]
14 DEX 10 12 14 12- OCV 5 DCV 5
14 CON 10 8 14 12-
14 BODY 10 8 14 12-
15 INT 10 5 15 12- PER Roll 12-
12 EGO 10 4 12 11- ECV: 4
15 PRE 10 5 15 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
8 COM 10 -1 8 11-

2 PD 2 0 2/11   2/11 PD (0/9 rPD)
3 ED 3 0 3/12   3/12 ED (0/9 rED)
3 SPD 2.4 6 3   Phases: 4, 8, 12
5 REC 5 0 5  
28 END 28 0 28  
27 STUN 27 0 27    
7" Running 6 2 7"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2"/1"" Leaping 2 0 2" 51 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=261856
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 29
Spent: 29
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 50
Disad Points: 100
Total Points: 179
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 7" [14" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 0"/15" [0"/30" NC]
Teleport 0"/30" [0"/60" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Brown
Eye Color:  Brown
Height:  5' 6"
Weight:  220 lbs
Description:
Hunched over and spiteful looking, with spidery hands and a permanent sneer. Wears a light grey robe festoned with mystical doo-dads and carries a staff.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 2/11 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0/9  
Energy Defense 3/12 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0/9  
Mental Defense 8 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 5 DCV: 5

Combat Skill Levels: +2 Overall , +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4)
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
12 Mana Pool: Endurance Reserve (60 END, 6 REC) (12 Active Points)
4 Mystic Mind: MD (8 points total) (6 Active Points); Activation 14- (-1/2)
16 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Bedroll: Bedroll (0 Active Points)
Notes: Body 1_Def 1
Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial): Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial) (0 Active Points)
Quarterstaff: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9)
Notes: Body 4_Def 3_Length M
Quill: Quill (0 Active Points)
Notes: Body 1_Def 0
Rations (1 weeks): Rations (1 weeks) (0 Active Points)
Sealing Wax: Sealing Wax (0 Active Points)
Spellbook,Small: (0 Active Points)
Tent, Canvas: Tent, Canvas (0 Active Points)
Notes: Body 1_Def 1_ Holds 2
Mage Spells
1) Arcane Aegis: FF (9 PD/9 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Invisible to Hearing, and Sight Groups (+3/4) (54 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Costs AP/10 In END When Cast; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
2) Dimensional Transposition: Teleportation 30" (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), LOS Only (-1/2) (uses END Reserve)
3) Fade From View: Invisibility to Sight, Smell/Taste, Hearing, Mental and Touch Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (69 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (uses END Reserve)
4) Jolting Arc: RKA 2d6 (vs. ED), AOE (3" Any Area; +1) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (uses END Reserve)
5) Mage Bolts: EB 10d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, No Range Modifier, Explosion, AoE 1 hex Accurate); +3/4) (100 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) (uses END Reserve)
6) Mages Eye: Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 24" per Phase): +2, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (69 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Blackout (-1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (uses END Reserve)
7) Mystic Flight: Flight 15", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Costs AP/10 In END When Cast; -1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
8) Prepared Jolt: RKA 4d6 (vs. ED), Trigger (Command Word; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (uses END Reserve)
9) Spell Turning: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Trigger (When An Offensive Ranged Spell Is Incoming; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Spells Only (-2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with All Actions
5 Magesight
8 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
20 +2 Overall
5 +1 with INT Based Skills
5 CuK: Ieshali (INT-based) 14-
5 PS: Mage (INT-based) 14-
1 Riding 8-
1 WF: Staffs
1 Conversation 8-
1 Language: Vorgaan (Ieshali dialect) (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
2 Language: Machtig (fluent conversation)
Mage Spells
1) Arcane Aegis 12-
Notes: -2 to Roll
2) Dimensional Transposition 12-
Notes: -3 to Roll
3) Fade From View 14-
4) Jolting Arc 12-
5) Mage Bolts 20-
Notes: -4 to Roll
6) Mages Eye 14-
7) Mystic Flight 12-
8) Prepared Jolt 15-
9) Spell Turning 15-
104 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
5 DF: Human (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
5 DF: Mage (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
15 Enraged: When Thwarted (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima
15 Psych. Lim.: Cruel (Common, Strong)
10 Psych. Lim.: Selfish & Self-Preservatory (Common, Moderate)
5 Rivalry: Professional (Other Spellcasters; Rival is More Powerful; Seek to Outdo; Rival Unaware of Rivalry)
5 Soc. Lim.: Considered a "Hedge Wizard" by Wizards (Occasionally, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
10 Unluck: 2d6
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Suprise Attacks (Uncommon)
100 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 5' 6" Hair: Brown
Weight: 220 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Hunched over and spiteful looking, with spidery hands and a permanent sneer. Wears a light grey robe festoned with mystical doo-dads and carries a staff.
Personality: Selfish, self-centered, and cruel. A petty man, with petty aspirations.
Quote:"You wont look so smug in a moment, when your face has been blasted away by my awesome magics!"
Background: Doran Murfon is a native of Ieshali in his early 30's. He comes from a long line of Mages and can trace his lineage back to the Witchlord Gorshan Murfon. He, like most of his anceastors, practices Magecraft and shows a reasonable talent for it, able to master 3 spells before he was yet 18, and has learned six more since. Doran is particularly well know for the advanced levels he has acheived with his mastery of Mystic Bolts. If he had only been born two centuries sooner, all would probably have been well for him.

However, as he was born and was learning his craft from his father, the newfangled study of Wizardry was sweeping the lands that were once Vorgaa. Wizards, with their disciplined approach and least-common-denominator classifictions of magic quickly supplanted the traditional practitioners of Magecraft. Instead of a life of scholastic pursuit spent mastering his skills and perhaps acheiving his dream of becoming a professor at a Arcanotorium, Doran found himself the but of jokes and disparagement from upstart young Wizards.

Finally, after his father passed away, Doran just couldn't take it anymore and challenged a particularly insulting ass named Orfolt to a Mages duel. The arrogant Apprentice accepted the duel and was promptly blasted into oblivion by Doran's Prepared Jolt followed quickly by a Mystic Bolt. Orfolts smug classmates, anticipating an easy victory for their fellow Wizard, stood around with their mouth's agape staring at his badly burned corpse. Doran expected some praise or adulation for his obvious power, but as the weeks wore on all he got was shunned. Now instead of taunting him, the young wizards just ignored him. Plus the teachers at the school were not happy about the slaying of one of their best students and several made it plain that legal or no, should Doran decide to get into a duel with another student he might find himself facing one of their mentors instead in the duelling circle.

Doran realized he was never going to get anywhere in Ieshali, for the taint of Wizardry had spread from border to border in just a few short decades, and the old ways were no longer respected. His only hope for the power and adulation he deserved lay outside in the world beyond. If he traveled into lands untouched by Wizardry his Magecraft would allow him to reign. Better a big fish in a small pond....

And so he has set out, leaving all the nations that once were Vorgaa behind, and heading into the lands of the Kor-vashi and the Undari looking for a place to settledown and carve a fiefdom out for himself.

Powers/Tactics: Doran has a decent complement of spells, several offensive, a couple of moment and a couple of defensive. Though he lacks the flexibility of a Wizard, he can use his spells as long as he has END to pay for them.
Campaign Use: An excellent small-time pain in the arse for players, a good reoccuring villain (with 2 escape clause spells to get away), a one off antagonist, or as a general template for mid-power Mages.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.21)

A sample practitioner of Wizardry:Whipped up a Wizard to demonstrate the differences.BTW, Wizards may have a total Real Cost in their VPP equal to their Pool total x3. So, the sample character has a 75 Active Point Limit, but can have 225 Real Cost worth of 1 Charge Spells per day selected from his personal "Known Spells List", preparred in the morning.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Yortheon Malafrid

Alternate Identities:

10 STR 10 0 10 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]
8 DEX 10 -6 8 11- OCV 3 DCV 3
10 CON 10 0 10 11-
10 BODY 10 0 10 11-
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-/14-
15 EGO 10 10 15 12- ECV: 5
14 COM 10 2 14 12-

2 PD 2 0 2   2 PD (0 rPD)
2 ED 2 0 2   2 ED (0 rED)
3 SPD 1.8 12 3   Phases: 4, 8, 12
4 REC 4 0 4  
20 END 20 0 20  
20 STUN 20 0 20    
5" Running 6 -2 5"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2"/1"" Leaping 2 0 2" 29 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=264085
EXPERIENCE POINTS
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 5" [10" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 0"/24" [0"/48" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  White
Eye Color:  Blue
Height:  6' 2"
Weight:  200 lbs
Description:
Friendly and likeable old man, with a gleam in his eye. Wears well made purplish traveling robes, with a pointy hat typical of graduates of the University of Turant Carries a high quality but mundane staff/walking stick with a glass bauble in the tip, convenient as a target of Light spells.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 2 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0  
Energy Defense 2 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0  
Mental Defense 5 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 3 DCV: 3

Combat Skill Levels: +1 Overall , +1 with Ranged Combat , +12 with DCV (60 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 17 , +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) , +12 with DCV (60 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4)
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
2 Human Awareness: +1 PER with Sight Group
2 Mystic Mind: MD (5 points total)
88 Wizardry: VPP (Magic Pool), 75 base + 13 control cost, (112 Active Points); Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; Extra Time, Concentration, Incantation, Gesture, Limited Range, Restrainable via Spell Component Pouch, or RSR: Magic Skill vs. Spell Resistance; -1/2), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (w/ Spell Book & Study Time) (-1/2), Arcane Magic Only (-1/2), All Spells Must Have One Charge Only (-1/4)
1) Light: Sight Group Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Set Effect (-1), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 3
Notes: Evocation [Light]
2) Read Magic: Detect Meaning of Magical Writings 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4) Real Cost: 4
Notes: Universal
3) Mage Hand: Telekinesis (5 STR), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (15 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Limited Range (4" + 1" /15 Points in VPP) (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 4
Notes: Universal, Wish
4) Alarm: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Hearing Group and Mental Awareness Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/4), Trigger (Unauthorized entity enters Area) (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Set Effect (Alarm Bell) (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Linked (Alarm Indicator; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Mind Link , With Alarm Spell, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0) (5 Active Points); Only to recieve mental ping from Alarm spell; 1way (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), Linked (Alarm Giver; -1/2), Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time (+1/4), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) Real Cost: 6
Notes: Abjuration
5) Detect Magic: Mystic Awareness, +5 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Targeting (30 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) Real Cost: 8
6) Enlarge: Growth (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, -2" KB, 363 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), UBO (+1/4), Limited Range (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4) Real Cost: 12
Notes: Transmutation, PHB3e
7) Detect Invisible: Spatial Awareness (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Range, Rapid (x10), Telescopic (+1 versus Range Modifier), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (43 Active Points); Only To Detect Invisible & Concealed Physical Objects (-1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 12
Notes: Divination
8) Improved Wizards Armor: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), IIF (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 16
Notes: Evocation, Force
9) Minor Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 2d6+1 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 10
Notes: Evocation [Force], NEW
10) Minor Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 2d6+1 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 10
11) Sense Thoughts: Telepathy 3d6 ( Human class of minds), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Cumulative (x2 max.) (36 points; +3/4), Lingering up to 1 Minute (+3/4) (45 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1 1/4), Extra Time (Extra Phase, Delayed Phase, -1), Receive Only (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance; -1/4) Real Cost: 8
Notes: Divination, [Mind-Affecting]
12) Dispel Magic -- Arcane: Dispel Arcane Magic 13d6, Any Arcane Magic Effect 1 at a time (+1/2) (58 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Abjuration Skill vs Magic Skill of Caster; -1/4) Real Cost: 13
Notes: Abjuration, New
13) Blink: +12 with DCV (60 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 17
Notes: Tranmutation, Teleportation, PHB3e
14) Fireball III: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 15
Notes: Evocation [Fire]
15) Zephyr Flight: Flight 12", Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4) Real Cost: 24
Notes: Transmutation, NEW
16) Thunderstaff: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1 (standard effect: 7 BODY, 14 STUN) (vs. PD), Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2), Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (70 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-1/2), OIF (Staff Of Opportunity; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4) Real Cost: 14
Notes: Evocation [sonic], ToM2e
17) Protection From Lightning: FF (21 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (When A Electricity Spell Is Incoming; +1/4), IPE, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (73 Active Points); Only vs Electricity (-2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4) Real Cost: 17
18) Lesser Wall of Force Type II: Entangle 5d6, 10 DEF (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Only To Form Barriers (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 14
19) Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 18
92 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Equipment
1) Bedroll: Bedroll (0 Active Points)
2) Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial): Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial) (0 Active Points)
3) Quill: Quill (0 Active Points)
4) Rations (1 weeks): Rations (1 weeks) (0 Active Points)
5) Sealing Wax: Sealing Wax (0 Active Points)
6) Spellbook,Small: (0 Active Points)
7) Tent, Canvas: Tent, Canvas (0 Active Points)
8) Quarterstaff: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9)
Notes: Body 4_Def 3_Length M
Ghosteyes: N-Ray Perception (Sight Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Century (+0) (12 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Eyes of Darkest Night: Nightvision, Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Telescopic (+3 versus Range Modifier), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Century (+0) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Light: Sight Group Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Set Effect (-1), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Mage Hand: Telekinesis (5 STR), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (15 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Limited Range (4" + 1" /15 Points in VPP) (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Read Magic: Detect Meaning of Magical Writings 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4)
Comprehend Languages: Universal Translator 14-, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Century (+0) (21 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)
Alarm: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Hearing Group and Mental Awareness Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/4), Trigger (Unauthorized entity enters Area) (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Set Effect (Alarm Bell) (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Linked (Alarm Indicator; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Mind Link , With Alarm Spell, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0) (5 Active Points); Only to recieve mental ping from Alarm spell; 1way (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), Linked (Alarm Giver; -1/2), Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time (+1/4), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)
Notes: Abjuration
Detect Magic: Mystic Awareness, +5 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Targeting (30 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4)
Enlarge: Growth (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, -2" KB, 363 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), UBO (+1/4), Limited Range (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)
Detect Invisible: Spatial Awareness (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Range, Rapid (x10), Telescopic (+1 versus Range Modifier), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (43 Active Points); Only To Detect Invisible & Concealed Physical Objects (-1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Improved Wizards Armor: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), IIF (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Minor Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 2d6+1 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Sense Thoughts: Telepathy 3d6 ( Human class of minds), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Cumulative (x2 max.) (36 points; +3/4), Lingering up to 1 Minute (+3/4) (45 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1 1/4), Extra Time (Extra Phase, Delayed Phase, -1), Receive Only (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance; -1/4)
Notes: Divination, [Mind-Affecting]
Blink: +12 with DCV (60 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4)
Dispel Magic -- Wizardry: Dispel Wizardry Magic 16d6, Any Wizardry Effect one at a time (+1/4) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Abjuration Skill vs Magic Skill of Caster; -1/4)
Fireball III: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Zephyr Flight: Flight 12", Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)
Arcane Eye: Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups), x4 Range (300"), Analyze, Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Mobile Perception Point, Targeting, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (70 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense (Sight, Hearing) [very common Sense] (-1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Thunderstaff: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1 (standard effect: 7 BODY, 14 STUN) (vs. PD), Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2), Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (70 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-1/2), OIF (Staff Of Opportunity; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
Notes: Evocation [sonic], ToM2e
Protection From Lightning: FF (21 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (When A Electricity Spell Is Incoming; +1/4), IPE, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (73 Active Points); Only vs Electricity (-2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)
Swordward: FF (21 PD), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (When About To Get Hit With A Sword; +1/4), IPE, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (73 Active Points); Only vs Swords (-2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)
Force Sculpture: Object Creation (Digital HERO #7 HEROGlyphs by Steven S. Long), +9 BODY, +9 DEF (74 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Restricted Lifespan (Dissapates in 1 Hour; -1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Evocation, Force, GHA1e; Creates simple non-weapon objects made of pure Force like tables & chairs, etc. 11 DEF 11 BODY up to 1 hex of material.
Dimension Door: Teleportation 25", Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Notes: Universal, Teleportation
Lesser Wall of Force Type II: Entangle 5d6, 10 DEF (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Only To Form Barriers (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
PERKS
Cost  Name
2 Wizard Rep: Reputation: Moderately Powerful Wizard, One of Daelon Thar's original students (Wizards of Vorgaanese Lands) 14-, +2/+2d6
2 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Good Memory: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Requires An INT Roll (-3/4)
23 Spellcraft 15-
Notes: This Talent allows a character to make Magic Skill Rolls when they do not otherwise have the correct Spell School Knowledge Skill to do so. Spellcraft may act as a proxy in the place of any Spell School Skill. Thus if a character needs to make a KS: Necromancy Skill check but lacks KS: Necromancy, they may make a Spellcraft check instead. Spellcraft will rarely yield the same depth of knowledge on a given subject as the appropriate Spell School Skill would, but is enough to get the general ideas of what is going on. Thus, a person with KS: Evocation would likely know things like the actual named theories involved with an Evocation Spell, and perhaps even things like the Spellcaster who discovered or invented the Spell and when, while a person with Spellcraft merely grasps its observable effects.
26 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
10 Human Adaptability: +1 Overall
5 +1 with Ranged Combat
3 Penalty Skill Levels: +1 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks
5 CuK: Vorgaanese Tributaries (INT-based) 15-
5 PS: Wizard (INT-based) 15-
1 WF: Staffs
1 Language: Vorgaan (Ieshali dialect) (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
30 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 Age: 60+
5 DF: Human (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
5 DF: Mage (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
20 DNPC: Falinor Malafrid (Grandson) 11- (Incompetent)
15 Psych. Lim.: Hyper-curious (Common, Strong)
15 Psych. Lim.: Overly kind (Common, Strong)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Force Attacks (Uncommon)
Height: 6' 2" Hair: White
Weight: 200 lbs Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Friendly and likeable old man, with a gleam in his eye. Wears well made purplish traveling robes, with a pointy hat typical of graduates of the University of Turant Carries a high quality but mundane staff/walking stick with a glass bauble in the tip, convenient as a target of Light spells.
Personality: Yortheon is a kindly, likable old man who has a tendency towards benevolent encouragement.

However, when it comes to his goal: implacable vengeance.

Quote:"Well hello there! We seek a man named Doran Murfon. Have you heard tale of him? Twist-backed spellcaster with a curled-up lip?"
Background: Yortheon grew up in Tarantum and attended the University of Turant as a boy, learning to become a Warlock (as male Magecrafters were called in Vorgaa back in the day -- though modern practitioners prefer the genderless "Mage"). He was one of the original students of Daelon Thar and instead of Magecraft was one of the first to learn magic according to Daelon's new theories of Wizardry. Yortheon flourished under Daelon's tutoring and was an early success for the powerful old magic user. After graduation, Yortheon stayed on with Daelon for a number of years helping to train new students in Daelon's methods, but eventually was offered a position to teach as head instructor of Wizardry at a University in far off Zarifin in a place called Farnock. Yortheon has had a very satisfying and successful life there in the 4 decades since, but without the guidance of the visionary Daelon, his understanding of Wizardry never really advanced. However, he was still good enough to hold his position as head instructor at the modest University of Farnock

He married a girl named Orphelia late in life in his 40's and had a son named Orfolt who was something of a prodigy as a youth, so when the lad was of age, Yortheon sent the boy to his own homeland to attend the University of Tarant as he himself once had. Life continued apace for several years, though Orphelia caught a fever and died of a flummox the first year Orfolt was gone. Orfolt got married to a nice lass he met at University the next year and had a son himself a few seasons later. Yortheon was a little dissaproving that the lad was burdening himself with a family while still in school, but his instructors indicated high marks, so no harm done.

Yortheon planned to hold his position for another year or so and then transition Orfolt into the role after his return from University and was quite happy with his lot, though somtimes had sad thoughts of Orphelia. Then the terrible word reached him -- his son Orfolt had been slain in a duel with some upstart hedge wizard! To make things worse his daughter in law reportedly committed suicide afterwards from grief, leaving her child Falinor with her family.

A terrible anger filled Yortheon then, and he vowed to have vengeance on this Doran Murfon villain if it took every last day of his life to do. Quitting his job he went to Turantum to collect his sons effects and had the additional shock of his daughter-in-laws family forcing the baby Falinor on him -- they were a common family and had little means to care for the child since they had invested all they had into their daughter's admission into the University. Unable to travel with the not-yet-four year old, Yortheon took lodging in Turantum and sought out to learn everything he could about his new and hated enemy Doran. Finally, a little over a year later when the boy turned five Yartheon set out with Falinor in toe. Two years later he still travels, chasing rumors of his target.

Falinor is seven now and growing like a weed. He also shows tremendous potential as a Wizard, and Yortheon has been teaching all the basics to while away the time as they scour the lands looking for the twisted killer who took Yortheon's son and Falinor's father.

Powers/Tactics: Flexible Wizard.
Campaign Use: Foil to Doran Murfon. Interesting NPC, potential ally. Comparison point for Magecraft.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.21)

Here is a sample Sorceror type character -- in my setting Sorcerors are practitioners of Wizardry that dont go in for the theory and what not -- a middle ground between Mages and Wizards essentially. They use layered MPP's w/ Charges on the Reserve to represent "X/Day" rather than the VPP of true Wizards. There are some pros and cons to this. On the pro side they dont have to prepare a limited number of spells each day, and at the lower end have more spells per day than a Wizard. On the con side Wizards can know potentially many more different spells than a Sorceror, and with a lenient GM (like me) can arrange their VPP as they like, scrapping lower level spells for more higher, or vice versa. Also, there is a point, around 5th level spells, where the Wizards VPP becomes more efficient points wize than the Sorcerors MPPs.Its my take on a way to do the differences between D&D 3e style Wizards/Sorcerors -- though not an exact conversion its pretty close and seems to work out. However, like anything else, the idea is reusable for just about anything. Anyhoo, here it is:

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Rialta For'anvor

Alternate Identities:

14 DEX 10 12 14 12- OCV 5 DCV 5
10 CON 10 0 10 11-
12 BODY 10 4 12 11-
15 INT 10 5 15 12- PER Roll 12-/13-
14 EGO 10 8 14 12- ECV: 5
14 COM 10 2 14 12-

3 SPD 2.4 6 3   Phases: 4, 8, 12
4 REC 4 0 4  
20 END 20 0 20  
22 STUN 22 0 22    
5" Running 6 -2 5"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2"/1"" Leaping 2 0 2" 40 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=265130
EXPERIENCE POINTS
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 5" [10" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 0"/10" [0"/40" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Brunette
Eye Color:  Blue
Height:  5' 11"
Weight:  130 lbs
Description:
When her Glamour spell is off (or for those who can "see through it" w/ a Detect Magic), she is a moderately attractive woman in her mid to late 20's with a shapely figure. A snazzy dresser, she favors clothes that accentuate her body rather than conceal it because she a) thinks she is more beautiful than she is, and B) knows that its a distraction to men, which she feels increases her power over them. She takes baths at every reasonable opportunity, and pays special attention to her lustrous brown hair; she often wears heavy perfumes when "on the road" to conceal any odour, and at GM's discretion a character with a good nose might be able to recognize the scent of her perfume in some cases.

When her Glamour is on, she is a stunningly beautiful woman that is so gorgeous it defies description, and in fact it is difficult to recall what exactly she looks like when she is no longer around.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Res. Phys. Defense 0  
Res. Energy Defense 0  
Mental Defense 0 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION

Combat Skill Levels: +1 Overall , +6 with DCV, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4)
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
2 Human Awareness: +1 PER with Hearing Group
6 Sorceror MPP 0 Level: MP, 15-point reserve, (15 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
1) Mage Hand: Telekinesis (5 STR), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (15 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Limited Range (4" + 1" /15 Points in VPP) (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
2) Read Magic: Detect Meaning of Magical Writings 12- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 20 Minutes each (+0) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4)
1u
3) Glamour: +30 COM, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (+0) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Illusion, Glamer, NEW
1u
4) The Looming: Growth (+5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, -1" KB, 118 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), UBO (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+3/4) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
10 Sorceror MPP 1st Level: MP, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1/2), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
1) Sorcerous Lightmote: Sight Group Images Increases Size (32" radius; +1 1/4), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+3/4) (30 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Set Effect (-1), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u
2) Detect Magic: Mystic Awareness, +5 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Targeting, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4)
1u
3) Lesser Blink: +6 with DCV, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4)
1u
4) Accelerate: +2 SPD, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
13 Sorceror MPP 2nd Level: MP, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
1) Detect Invisible: Spatial Awareness (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Range, Rapid (x10), Telescopic (+1 versus Range Modifier), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 6 Hours each (+0) (43 Active Points); Only To Detect Invisible & Concealed Physical Objects (-1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u
2) Minor Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 2d6+1 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
2u
3) Immolation: Energy Blast 9d6 (vs. ED) (45 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
2u
4) Sorcerous Armor: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (+0), Trigger (When attacked; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
15 Sorceror MPP 3rd Level: MP, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1 1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
3u
1) The Unseen Presense: Invisibility to Sight Group and Mental Awareness , No Fringe, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+3/4) (58 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Illusion, NEW
2u
2) Dispel Magic -- Arcane: Dispel Arcane Magic 13d6, Any Arcane Magic Effect 1 at a time (+1/2) (58 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Abjuration Skill vs Magic Skill of Caster; -1/4)
2u
3) Fireball III: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
2u
4) Personal Flight: Flight 10", x4 Noncombat, Ranged (+1/2), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+3/4) (56 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
17 Sorceror MPP 4th Level: MP, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-2), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
2u
1) Swordward: FF (21 PD), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (When About To Get Hit With A Sword; +1/4), IPE, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (73 Active Points); Only vs Swords (-2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
3u
2) Dimension Door: Teleportation 25", Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Notes: Universal, Teleportation
3u
3) Improved Fireball III: Energy Blast 6 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (74 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
2u
4) Firebursts: Energy Blast 8 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier, Penetrating); +3/4) (75 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Notes: Evocation [Fire], NEW
96 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Equipment
1) Dress/Gown: Dress/Gown (0 Active Points)
2) Bedroll: Bedroll (0 Active Points)
3) Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial): Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial) (0 Active Points)
4) Quill: Quill (0 Active Points)
5) Rations (1 weeks): Rations (1 weeks) (0 Active Points)
6) Sealing Wax: Sealing Wax (0 Active Points)
7) Spellbook,Small: (0 Active Points)
8) Tent, Canvas: Tent, Canvas (0 Active Points)
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Lightsleep
19 Spellcraft 13-
Notes: This Talent allows a character to make Magic Skill Rolls when they do not otherwise have the correct Spell School Knowledge Skill to do so. Spellcraft may act as a proxy in the place of any Spell School Skill. Thus if a character needs to make a KS: Necromancy Skill check but lacks KS: Necromancy, they may make a Spellcraft check instead. Spellcraft will rarely yield the same depth of knowledge on a given subject as the appropriate Spell School Skill would, but is enough to get the general ideas of what is going on. Thus, a person with KS: Evocation would likely know things like the actual named theories involved with an Evocation Spell, and perhaps even things like the Spellcaster who discovered or invented the Spell and when, while a person with Spellcraft merely grasps its observable effects.
22 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
5 CuK: Folgetova (INT-based) 14-
5 PS: Sorceror (INT-based) 14-
1 Language: Vorgaan (Folget dialect) (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
21 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
5 DF: Sorceror (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
20 Enraged: When Spurned (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 8-
15 Psych. Lim.: Ambitious and Power-hungry (Common, Strong)
15 Psych. Lim.: Arrogant (Common, Strong)
15 Psych. Lim.: Vain (Common, Strong)
5 Reputation: As A Backstabber, 8- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group (Red Ravens Mercenary Company))
Height: 5' 11" Hair: Brunette
Weight: 130 lbs Eyes: Blue
Appearance: When her Glamour spell is off (or for those who can "see through it" w/ a Detect Magic), she is a moderately attractive woman in her mid to late 20's with a shapely figure. A snazzy dresser, she favors clothes that accentuate her body rather than conceal it because she a) thinks she is more beautiful than she is, and B) knows that its a distraction to men, which she feels increases her power over them. She takes baths at every reasonable opportunity, and pays special attention to her lustrous brown hair; she often wears heavy perfumes when "on the road" to conceal any odour, and at GM's discretion a character with a good nose might be able to recognize the scent of her perfume in some cases.

When her Glamour is on, she is a stunningly beautiful woman that is so gorgeous it defies description, and in fact it is difficult to recall what exactly she looks like when she is no longer around.

Personality: A stubborn, impatient, and arrogant woman much enamored of her own above average, but not spectacular, looks, Rialta is very dominating and forward. She does not display her powers unnecessarily, but when she does, she makes up for lost time with an array of offensive spells suitable for all occasions.

She is not promiscuous, but has a tendency to pick out a romantic interest from time to time, and mercy upon the man who spurns her affections.

She is not an evil or cruel person, just "morally flexible", and a clever person can easily manipulate her by playing to her vanity and hunger for power.

Quote:"This is just business; dont make me make it personal."
Background: Born near Panka (POHN-kah), the capital of Folgetova (FOAL-get-TOH-vah), Rialta showed early promise in Wizardry and was accepted into one of Panka's three Arcanoriums at the tender age of 7, later graduating to the University of Wegnar (one of two Universitiess in the Greater Panka vicinity. The variant of Wizardry semi-disparagingly called "Sorcery" by true Wizards (due to the similarities between how they learn and cast spells when compared to the Zauberer of the neighboring Machtig peoples) caught on in Folgetova over the more freeform but-slower-to-learn True Wizardry originated by Daelon Thar, and this is the discipline that Rialta was instructed in.

By age 19 she was a competant young Sorceress, and in a fashion typical of the impatient, stubborn, and impetuous people of her nation she set out into the world, eager to carve her place in it. Setting out first to Shidaal she sold her skills to several mercenary companies as a freelancer for money to live on, though she mostly took contracts that would keep her close to the city where she enjoyed the fast paced social scene. However, after she had been liviing in Shidaal for a time a too-good-to-pass up contract came along to escort a caravan to Kasaad in the north with a contingent of guards hired by the Red Raven Mercenary Company. The caravan was carrying some artifacts with mystical significance and some other valuables to be delivered to a private buyer.

She should have known that the price was too good for a reason. Three days from Kasaad the caravan was ambushed at dusk by a squad of black-clad mercs from the rival Merc Company of the Black Shields, backed up by a squad of Undari light cavalry from Landroth, and two spellcasters. Rialta threw a few fireballs around, but came under assualt by both opposing arcanist and was quickly subdued; her concentration on offensive spells left her an easy target to their combined attacks as one would Dispel her Magic and the other would attack in turn.

However, though they killed or ransomed the survivng Red Ravens, the spellcaster leading the assault made her a deal when she woke up bound and gagged. Join him and she would be well rewarded, finding power beyond her wildest dreams. Rialta's drive for wealth and power made this offer quite attractive and after a mere moments hesitation she agreed. The Red Raven's that were ransomed back to Shidaal bore her great ill will for going over to the enemy, and among their Mercenary Company she now has a Reputation as a backstabber; they wouldnt go out of their way to do it, but any chance-of-opportunity one of their number might take to inconvenience her would likely be taken.

Since joining her (for now) mysterious new benefactor, Rialta has been set to work doing several odd tasks, ranging from gathering more ancient artifact from various corners of the region to loitering in Landroth, where her benefactor is an ever growing power, highly connected with the rulers and a power behind the throne so to speak. She has also, on a few occassions, been tasked to work with the other spellcaster working with her master who helped subdue her in their original encounter, an odious little Mage from Ieshali named Doran Murfon. Unlike Rialta, whose in it for the power and prestige promised by their mutual benefactor and doesn't go out of her way to cause undue "collateral damage", Murfon is a twisted little man out to prove something and delights in showing his power. The two get on like oil and water, but their benefactor has made it clear that if they let it affect their work he will be most displeased.

Powers/Tactics: Rialta has an assortment of useful spells, though with a tendency towards offense rather than defense which can cause her grief on occasion.

All of her spells with a duration of 6 HOURS to 1 DAY can be assumed to be cast 1st thing in the morning, and all of her spells with an open Trigger can be assumed to have one "floating" charge waiting to be triggered as well (the Triggers must be reset each day). Thus, she usually has Glamour and Detect Invisible "on", and a Triggered Accelerate, Sorcerous Armor, Swordward, and Dimension Door readied. This leaves here with 5 0 Level Charges, 5 1st Level Charges, 4 2nd Level Charges, 6 3rd Level Charges, and 4 4th Level Charges in reserve in most circumstances.

Campaign Use: Rialta is the classic villainess that would be a great ally if she could be redeemed, but her ambition drives her to oppose the heroes. Should be a welcome difference from the odious Morfan.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.22)

Here's a practitioner of Sortilege, which is a more Bardic type of Magic based on Interaction Skills and favoring enchantment and sensory type magic.It is based on the same "Spontaneous Casting" mechanic as Sorcery and Obermancy.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Vémundr "Thrymri" Finnvarsson

Alternate Identities:

Player Name:

12 DEX 10 6 12 11- OCV 4 DCV 4
10 CON 10 0 10 11-
10 BODY 10 0 10 11-
13 INT 10 3 13 12- PER Roll 12-/13-
12 EGO 10 4 12 11- ECV: 4
20 PRE 10 10 20 13- PRE Attack: 4d6
10 COM 10 0 10 11-

2 SPD 2.2 0 2   Phases: 6, 12
4 REC 4 0 4  
20 END 20 0 20  
20 STUN 20 0 20    
7" Running 6 2 7"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2"/1"" Leaping 2 0 2" 25 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=263205
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Spent: 24
Unspent: 5
Disad Points: 110
Total Points: 184
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 7" [14" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Blonde
Eye Color:  Green
Height:  6' 7"
Weight:  218 lbs
Description:
With a wolf's-head cloak sitting impressively on his shoulders, Vemundr Thrymri is careful to make every appearance of his memorable. His cloak, besides the wolf's-head hood is the deep grey of a calm winter's day. He wears no obvious weapons (though he typically has two daggers spirited away in his sleeves), but instead relies on the help and goodwill of others. Sometimes he is seen scribbling into a sheaf of papers, but they are soon forgotten as he begins another story or ballad.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Res. Phys. Defense 0  
Res. Energy Defense 0  
Power Defense 10  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 4 DCV: 4

Combat Skill Levels: +2 Overall
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
10 Druidic Gift of Summers Glories: PowD (10 points)
2 +1 PER with Hearing Group
Sortilege
Notes: Each MPP has 4 Charges per Day total. Most of the Spells in each MPP can be cast up to 4 times each (each use expending a charge on the Multipower), but some of them are more taxing and can only be cast up to 3 or fewer times each.
5 0 Level Sortilege Spells: MP, 15-point reserve, (15 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires At Least -1/4 In RSR (-1/4)
1u
1) Blinding Sortiligist Light: Sight Group Flash 3d6 (15 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Incantations (Song) (-1/4), Requires A Performance Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Light, The Sortiligist hums a few bars of giddy music and a shimmering ball of light appears, streaking off to strike an opponent in the eyes
1u
2) Soothing Vibrations: Fascination, 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0) (10 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Incantations (Complex; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests Performance vs EGO; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Charm, Mind-Affecting, Sonic
8 1st Level Sortilege Spells: MP, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1/2), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires At Least -1/4 In RSR (-1/4)
1u
1) Rallying Cry: +10 STUN, LOS Not Required To Maintain (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (30 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic; The Sortiligist exhorts his allies to greater activity.
1u
2) Walk It Off: Healing (Simplified) BODY 3d6 (30 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic, Healing; Sortiligist gives a word of encouragement, and the subject soon feels better.
11 2nd Level Sortilege Spells: MP, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1), 4 Charges (-1), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires At Least -1/4 In RSR (-1/4)
1u
1) Improved Blinding Sortiligist Light: Sight Group Flash 9d6 (45 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Incantations (Song) (-1/4), Requires A Performance Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Light, The Sortiligist hums a few bars of giddy music and a shimmering ball of light appears, streaking off to strike an opponent in the eyes.
2u
2) Lesser Wall of Sound: FW (13 PD; 2" long and 1" tall) (Opaque Hearing Group) (45 Active Points); Incantations (throughout; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic; The Sortiligist talks, sings, or otherwise makes meaningful noise and for the duration a barrier of pure sound appears.
1u
3) Precise Sonic Agitator: EB 3d6 (vs. FD (Hearing)), AOE Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), AVLD (FD (Hearing); +1 1/2) (45 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests (Spell Resistance), No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic
2u
4) Unassailable Grace: +45 PRE, 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (+0) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests High Society vs High Society; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Notes: High Society, Glamer
13 3rd Level Sortilege Spells: MP, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1 1/2), 4 Charges (-1), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires At Least -1/4 In RSR (-1/4)
1u
1) Lifelong Friends: +60 PRE, 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Century each (+0) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), Only to be Friendly (-1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Requires A Conversation Roll And A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests -1/2), Language-Dependent (-1/4)
Notes: Conversation, Charm, Mind-Affecting
2u
2) Song of Inattention: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Mental Groups, Combat Sense, Spatial Awareness, Danger Sense and Detect Invisible , No Fringe, 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0) (59 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests Performance vs PER; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (throughout; -1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), Not vs Deaf People/Things (-1/4)
Notes: Performance, Glamer, Mind-Affecting, Sonic. The Sortiligist hums a tune which causes peoples minds to not notice him. The more ostentatious or outrageous the Sortiligists actions the more likely he will be noticed (grants PER Bonuses to be noticed).
3u
3) Sonic Aegis: FF (12 PD/12 ED), 2 Continuing Charges lasting 6 Hours each (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4), Persistent (+1/2), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic, The Sortiligist surrounds himself with an aura of Sonic force that protects him from all attacks.
1u
4) Soothing Sounds: Healing (Simplified) BODY 3d6, AOE (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), 4 Charges (-1), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic, Healing; Sortiligiest tales a tale, sings a song, or otherwise entertains, and all within sound of voice are healed.
1u
5) Sound Slayer: RKA 1d6 (standard effect: 3 BODY, 6 STUN) (vs. Flash Defense (Hearing)), Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2), Does BODY (+1), AVLD (Flash Defense: Hearing; +1 1/2) (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Performance vs Spell Resistance; -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic, The Sortiligist uses his voice as a weapon, uttering a painful shout.
2u
6) Superior Tickling Fingers of Sound: Telekinesis (33 STR), Fine Manipulation (60 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Incantations (throughout; -1/2), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points Performance; -1/4)
Notes: Performance, As the Sortiligist sings/chants, ghostly notes take shape, stream forth, and manipulate objects at the Sortiligists direction.
15 4th Level Sortilege Spells: MP, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-2), 4 Charges (-1), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires At Least -1/4 In RSR (-1/4)
2u
1) Laughing Fool: Entangle 2d6, 4 DEF, Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Physical Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1) (75 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Mental Defense Adds To EGO (-1/2), Language Based (-1/4), Requires A Conversation vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)
Notes: Conversation, Compulsion, Mind-Affecting, Language-Based, The Sortiligist tells a simple joke; whether its funny or not the opponent is racked with howls of laughter so severe as to render them helpless.
2u
2) Legend Lore: Detect information about Magic Items, Each Extra Thing or Class of Things (Command Words), Each Extra Thing or Class of Things (Creator), Each Extra Thing or Class of Things (Legends or Prophecies Associated With), Each Extra Thing or Class of Things (Names\Types of Similar Items In Existance), Each Extra Thing or Class of Things (Noteworthy Owners) and Each Extra Thing or Class of Things (Rumors Related To Item) 34- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Rapid (x10) (75 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Requires A Trading Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/4)
Notes: Trading, The Sortiligist calls upon his knowledge of valuable objects and his mystic mastery to divine data regarding a particular item.
2u
3) Lesser Howl: RKA 1d6 (vs. Flash Defense (Hearing)), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), AOE (13" Cone; +1), Does BODY (+1), AVLD (Flash Defense: Hearing; +1 1/2) (75 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Performance vs Spell Resistance; -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic, The Sortiligist uses his voice as a weapon, uttering a painful shout.
3u
4) Pantomime: Drain INT 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Lingering up to 1 Turn (+1/2), IPE, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), AOE (10" Radius; +1 1/4) (75 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Mime/Charade Routine; -1/2), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests Performance vs Spell Resistance; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Compulsion, Mind-Affecting, The Sortiligist starts a pantomime routine, and chosen targets feel compelled to watch, growing mentally numbed.
3u
5) Sensory Occlusion: CE 8" radius, -2 to Sight Group PER Rolls, -2 to Smell/Taste Group PER Rolls, -2 to Touch Group PER Rolls, -2 to Hearing Group PER Rolls, -1 INT Roll and all Skill Rolls based on INT, Multiple Combat Effects, 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (75 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Performance vs Spell Resistance; -1/4)
Notes: Performance, Glamer, The Sortiligist brings forth a swirling storm of magical sensations which overload the sense of those caught in the area of effect.
3u
6) Aural Barrage: Drain STUN 1d6+1, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), AVLD (Flash Defense: Hearing; +3/4), Continuous (+1), AOE (10" Radius; +1 1/4), Selective (+1/4), Conforming (+1/2) (75 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Requires A Performance Roll And A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/4)
Notes: Performance, Sonic, The Sortiligist starts a audible rythym which continues to play in the background, causing fatigue and apathy in those who hear it for up to 1 Minute.
99 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Long Dagger: LIGHT (1D6), 8 STR Min, 1 handed, -2 to Conceal; Piercing: +1 OCV to hit; +1 damage per die vs Chain Armors (up to the total DEF of the armor); -1 OCV to Block with, Stabbing: If Attack roll made by half, Attack is Double Penetrating, Hurled: May be thrown; Range Based On Strength
Long Dagger: LIGHT (1D6), 8 STR Min, 1 handed, -2 to Conceal; Piercing: +1 OCV to hit; +1 damage per die vs Chain Armors (up to the total DEF of the armor); -1 OCV to Block with, Stabbing: If Attack roll made by half, Attack is Double Penetrating, Hurled: May be thrown; Range Based On Strength
Sortilege Spells Template: MP, 90-point reserve, (90 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-2 1/2), 4 Charges (-1), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires At Least -1/4 In RSR (-1/4)
PERKS
Cost  Name
3 Status: Hoher Skalding
Notes: (protected from attack, special priveleges and responsibilities, etc)
3 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Human Talent: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Requires An INT Roll (-3/4)
3 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
20 +2 Overall
5 Human Diversity: CuK: Machtig (INT-based) 14-
5 Human Work Ethic: PS: Storyteller 14-
3 Conversation 13-
3 High Society 13-
2 Language: Machtig (imitate dialects; literate) (6 Active Points)
3 Oratory 13-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 Power: Performance (PRE-based) 13-
3 Seduction 13-
3 Trading 13-
1 WF: Blades
54 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 DF: Druid-touched (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
0 Distinctive Features: Skald (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
20 Enraged: His notes are destroyed or significantly tampered with. (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 11-
Human
1) Distinctive Features: (Concealable with magic), Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses, Not Distinctive In Some Cultures
2) Normal Characteristic Maxima
15 Psych. Lim.: Will not carry visible weapons inside the Vold. As a point of pride, he does not carry weapons inside the Vold. To do so would show great distrust. (Common, Strong)
5 Psychological Limitation: Hard Drinker (Uncommon, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Needs to chronicle events. Keeps a diary nightly, takes down notes frequently. (Common, Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: The Performer's Itch (Common, Moderate)
5 Psychological Limitation: Womanizer (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Social Limitation: Not allowed to make a living through craftsmanship or agrarianism (Occasionally, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
110 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 6' 7" Hair: Blonde
Weight: 218 lbs Eyes: Green
Appearance: With a wolf's-head cloak sitting impressively on his shoulders, Vemundr Thrymri is careful to make every appearance of his memorable. His cloak, besides the wolf's-head hood is the deep grey of a calm winter's day. He wears no obvious weapons (though he typically has two daggers spirited away in his sleeves), but instead relies on the help and goodwill of others. Sometimes he is seen scribbling into a sheaf of papers, but they are soon forgotten as he begins another story or ballad.
Personality: Seeks to compile the comprehensive collection of Machtig Lore. And scribe a new Legend. And survive. Actually, reorder that list.

Geas: The skipping stone returns to strike its thrower.

Quote:Mighty Voice heard both clear and wide

Calling out to new Legends he seeks

Master of Lore, he yearns to scribe

The poems recited and Epics he speaks

Taken far on fates tow and lifes tide

But though watching still havoc he wreaks

Background: Vémundr was born to Finnvar of the Needles Roulfson and Ergat Henriksdotter. His parents were average Jargrling clan, and as such, he recieved the average Jargrling education. Unfortunately, Vémundr was rather useless with a bow, and his slight (for a Machtig) frame made him ill suited for toe to toe combat. What was worse, he was so terrible at stalking, that his friends gave him the nickname "Thrymri" (loud noise). Increasingly outclassed in traditional Jagrling disciplines by his peers, Vémundr became distant, preferring to listen to the rambling tales of the elders than to hunting. It was not long before he began to take an interest in telling the stories.

It was not long (for news travels quickly amongst the clan) for a local Skald to find him. So, on his eighth birthday, he began his apprenticeship to the Skald Grinnr "Thjofi" (the whistler) Oddrsson. In his training, Vémundr was able to devote his full attention to what had been before merely idle hobbies. Thjofi took him throughout the entire Vold, and once, even, outside the Vold to visit the great halls of the Var. It was there that Vémundr struck upon (to him) a great idea: He would compile the first ever exhaustive account of the legends and stories of the Machtig. Such an undertaking would surely be worthy of note. Since then, he has kept a notebook of the stories, poems, and songs that he hears and even has started making up some of his own. Vémundr showed such promise with his ability and passion for the memorization of the Skalding lore led to him being named Lieferung Meister at 18. After three years in this position, he has now become a Hoher Skalding. Because of his newfound freedom, Vémundr lacks direction, and is looking for opportunities to expand upon his experience.

Powers/Tactics: Druidic Spellcasting, retreating, philosophizing
Campaign Use: The Jagrling traditionally have had very close ties to the natural world, and keep their lands free of corrupting influences. Unsurprisingly the Jagrling have a strong Druidic tradition; the current Grand Druid of the Vold was born amongst the Jagrling in fact and he often can be found in their lands since the greatest stone circle in the Machtig lands, the Ubermanege, stands in a clearing not far from Jagrhof. Approximately 70% of all Jagrling are Rangers, with a smattering of Barbarian/Rangers among the more outlying families, and about 10% are Druids.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.24)

Heres an example of an Obermancer. It uses the Spontaneous Casting MPP model like Sorcery and Sortilege.The MPP Model is flexible and easy to use, and is a bit efficient on the front end (Wizardry overpowers it in the later stages, but initially Sorcery comes out of the gate faster in terms of character points spent). It will probably get reused for other smaller systems of magic elsewhere in the setting if I need some niche local-brand arcanists.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Kjar Kvaransen

Alternate Identities:

Player Name: Jason "WilyQuixote" Roche

5 STR 10 -5 5 10- HTH Damage 1d6 END [1]
11 DEX 10 3 11 11- OCV 4 DCV 4
13 CON 10 6 13 12-
13 BODY 10 6 13 12-
15 INT 10 5 15 12- PER Roll 12-/13-
8 EGO 10 -4 8 11- ECV: 3
8 PRE 10 -2 8 11- PRE Attack: 1 1/2d6
8 COM 10 -1 8 11-

1 PD 1 0 1/4   1/4 PD (0/3 rPD)
3 ED 3 0 3/6   3/6 ED (0/3 rED)
3 SPD 2.1 9 3   Phases: 4, 8, 12
4 REC 4 0 4  
26 END 26 0 26  
23 STUN 23 0 23    
5" Running 6 -2 5"    
4" Swimming 2 2 4"    
0"" Leaping 1 -1 0" 16 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=250180
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 20
Spent: 20
Total Points: 180
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 5" [10" NC]
Swim (2) 4" [8" NC]
H. Leap (1") 0"
V. Leap (1") 0"
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Brown
Eye Color:  Green
Height:  5' 8"
Weight:  150 lbs
Description:
Middle aged, frail looking, and heavily lined face. Bald, missing teeth, timid looking, wearing a threadbare blue plaid kilt, and surrounded by occasional odd elemental sensory phenomenae. Seemingly oblivious to the vagaries of weather or temperature.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 1/4 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0/3  
Energy Defense 3/6 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0/3  
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 4 DCV: 4

Combat Skill Levels: +2 Overall , +2 with Spells
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
9 Druidic Gift of Elemental Bounty: Healing (Regeneration) 2 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Only When In Contact With An Element (Natural Element Only; -1/2)
2 +1 PER with Sight Group
6 0 Level Elementalist Spells: MP, 15-point reserve, (15 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
1) Detect Heatsource: Detect Temperature 12- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Sense, Tracking, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Century (+0) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Pyromancy
1u
2) Water Breathing: Life Support (Expanded Breathing (Water)), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (+0), Persistant (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 32 people at once; +1 1/2) (15 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -1/4)
Notes: Hydromancy
10 1st Level Elementalist Spells: MP, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1/2), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
1) Obscuring Mist: Darkness to Sight Group and Normal Smell 2" radius, 3 Continuing Charges lasting 20 Minutes each (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (29 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
2) Sheild of Airy Comfort: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED) (Protect Carried Items), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Only Works Outdoors (-1), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Notes: Aeromancy
13 2nd Level Elementalist Spells: MP, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
2u
1) Diffusion of Pain: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 15) plus Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7)
2u
2) Lesser Aura of Flames: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Force Field (2 PD/2 ED), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (4 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (vs. ED), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (41 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 23)
2u
3) Mass Stonebones: Density Increase (500 kg mass, +15 STR, +3 PD/ED, -3" KB), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Persistent (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 32 people at once; +1 1/2) (45 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)
Notes: Geomancy
1u
4) Windriding: Flight 13", x8 Noncombat, 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0), Rapid Noncombat Movement (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Not Usable In Enclosed Spaces (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Aeromancy
2u
5) Wreath of Fire: +45 PRE, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (45 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
15 3rd Level Elementalist Spells: MP, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1 1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
2u
1) Bursting Bonfire: Energy Blast 8d6 (vs. ED), Explosion (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Incantations (-1/4)
2u
2) Flamedart: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
3) Lesser Wall of Stone: Entangle 4d6, 6 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Sight Group) (60 Active Points); Only To Form Barriers (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
1u
4) Lightning Strike: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (vs. ED), Indirect (From Sky Above) (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (56 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Segment, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Only Usable Outside (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Aeromancy, Electricity
2u
5) Blistering Skybolts: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6-1 (vs. ED), Lingering up to 1 Turn (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Spell (Cannot be Spread or Bounced, etc) (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/4)
Notes: Aeromancy, Electricity
3u
6) Living Monolith: Growth (+60 STR, +12 BODY, +12 STUN, -12" KB, 278,688 kg, -8 DCV, +8 PER Rolls to perceive character, 28 m tall, 14 m wide), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)
3u
7) Stone Spurs: (Total: 59 Active Cost, 28 Real Cost) Change Environment 4" radius, -5" Run, Linked (Rock Spikes; -1/4), Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time (+1/4), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (34 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 17) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (vs. PD), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Penetrating (x2; +1), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1 1/4) (25 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Linked (Ground Spikes; -1/2), Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time (+1/4) (Real Cost: 11)
2u
8) Stoneborne: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 24 Real Cost) Armor (8 PD/8 ED), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Visible (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) plus Density Increase (4,400 kg mass, +30 STR, +6 PD/ED, -6" KB), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 13)
2u
9) Wormwalk: Tunneling 7" through 8 DEF material, Fill In Hole, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
10 Elemental Embrace: LS (Expanded Breathing (Water); Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat)
7 Elemental Ward: FF (3 PD/3 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible to Hearing, and Sight Groups (Visible to Magic Detection; +3/4) (13 Active Points); Activation 13- (-3/4)
103 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Elementalist MPP Template: MP, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-2), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
PERKS
Cost  Name
2 Status Perk: Zauberer (Machtig Fertigkeiten Caste)
2 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Good Memory: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Requires A INT Roll (-3/4)
19 Spellcraft 13-
22 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
20 +2 Overall
6 +2 with Spells
1 Language (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
5 PS: Zauberer 14-
5 KS: Elemental Lore 14-
37 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima No Age Restriction
15 DF: Aura of Random Elemental Sensory Affects (smell of ozone, smoking hair, rocky skin, moist air, sound of creek, crackle of fire, etc) (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 DF: Druid-touched (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10 Psych. Lim.: Easily Distracted By New Magic (Uncommon, Strong)
10 Psych. Lim.: Homebody -- Wants To Be In His Tower, And Not Go Anywhere (Common, Moderate)
5 Soc. Lim.: Zauberer Stigma (Machtig) (Frequently, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
5 Susceptibility: Entropic/Chaos Energy, 1d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)
5 Susceptibility: Negative/Unholy Energy, 1d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)
5 Susceptibility: Positive/Holy Energy, 1d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)
5 Susceptibility: Static/Law Energy, 1d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)
15 Unluck: 3d6
Height: 5' 8" Hair: Brown
Weight: 150 lbs Eyes: Green
Appearance: Middle aged, frail looking, and heavily lined face. Bald, missing teeth, timid looking, wearing a threadbare blue plaid kilt, and surrounded by occasional odd elemental sensory phenomenae. Seemingly oblivious to the vagaries of weather or temperature.
Personality: Find himself.

Geas: Fallen hopes resurging falsely.

Quote:"Ur-Erkoren struggles through life

Stricken as a Babe but chosen true

His tale is Trials followed by Strife

Burning enthusiasm he lives to rue

At every turn ill chance a knife

Aimed at his back, but held by who?"

Background: Kjar was born into a miserable existance. He had the unfortunate luck to be born a weakling child to a proud and mighty warrior. To his father credit he did not kill him or hold the boy's weak blood against him. This isn't to say that Kjar's dad was a loving father, far from it in fact. Kjar's father did try to help Kjar in his own sorta way. When Kjar was around 9 yrs old his father tried to help the boy put on weight and muscles. He made the boy eat twice as much during meals and during the day would give him chores designed to build muscles. None of these things worked though despite everything Kjar's father tried. The boy never gained a pound and certainly never got stronger. Finally Kjar's father gave up and had little or nothing to do with him after that. Added to this daily torture of double rations and forced exercises was the almost continual ritual of hazing by the other children in the town. Unknown to Kjar or his father was that Kjar's mother was seeing another man whenever Kjar father was out on faring. This man was a Zauberer who lived alone out in the wilds of the Pargori near to Kjar's home. This relationship went on for many years and during these visits Kjar's mother was talked into helping the Zauberer with some of his magical experiments. The Zauberer was convinced he could create a spell that would temporarily bond an elemental to a person on this plane and grant the host enormous powers depending on the ability. When Kjar's mother was pregnant with him she told the Zauberer of her condition but he convinced her the spells would not harm the child. The Zauberer tried to make the spell work time and again but always met with failure. Eventually He gave up and soon after lost interest in Kjar's mother, Since the child wasn't his according to the mother (actually she was right about this, it was her husband's child in her). Kjar's father never knew about the affair. The experimentations however despite the Zauberer's claims did affect the unborn child. The magics cast upon the mother indirectly weakened the child and also left him extremely attuned and sensitive to the primal energies.

As Kjar grew older other odd traits began developing in the boy as well, sometimes he would have wisps of smoke wafting from his hair, sweating so pfousely that it looked as if he went swimming in his clothes, his hair and garments would look as if he was standing in a breeze even when the wind was still, or he would smell like freshly toiled soil. This did not endear him to his family, particularly his father. Kjar eventually ran away from home and obtain work with a local dockmaster where he impressed the man with his ability to remember almost anything put in front of him. This became his life until he was almost 15 years old and one day he bumped into a Zauberer who was in the middle of inventoring an order of supplies he had come to collect. The Zauberer was distracted and lost track of where he was in the inventorying. In an effort to appease the upset Zauberer Kjar immediately began reciting off the list up to the point where the Zauberer was before being interupted. The Zauberer was impressed by this display but also by the various elemental energies his body radiated seemingly of their own accord, needless to say the Zauberer took an interest in the boy. He offered to try teaching the boy the magical arts and Kjar jumped at the chance. Anything was better then his current lot in life so Kjar thanked the dockmaster, quit his job at the end of the day, and left to meet with the Zauberer to live in his tower and train. The Zauberer's name proved to be Yenger and over the years Yenger and Kjar became fast freinds from master and apprentice.

These were good years for Kjar and he absorbed everything Yenger could teach him like a sponge. Kjar never had a desire go out and see the world and was quite content to stay at home and practice magic and assist his freind Yenger in his experiments. When he was deemed ready by Yenger Kjar was taken to Kaenha Kennering the Oberlaird for presentation as a new Zauberer. After displaying some of his many spells it was given the title Zauberer and his new duties were made known to him. Using his spells of waterbreathing, he would assist in helping with dock maintenance for his besterung. He would show up without fail to fullfill his besterung and then as soon as these were complete he would hurry back to his home to continue with his studies. He was fascinated by all things magical and never turned down an opportunity to learn something new.

One day he wanted to show Yenger a new spell he had taught himself without assistance and so cast his spell of LESSER FLAMING AURA. UNfortunately for Kjar he didn't know the flames would burn quite so hot or that they would catch all combustable materials on fire. In mere moments there was a raging inferno in the tower and little that could be done to stop it. Smelling smoke and feeling the now searing heat Yenger burst into the room to see what was happening and to put out the flames. At that moment a support beam came crashing down on top of the now elderly and frail Yenger killing him instantly. Kjar was forced to flee outside and wait for the flames to die down. The tower was in ruins, a hollow stone husk and when some neighboring Machtig arrived to investigate a few asked what happened. Kjar was too grief stricken to answer and after it was clear there was nothing that could be done the Machtig left Kjar alone. Though it was never confirmed what really happened that day everyone assumed Kjar killed Yenger but no one could prove this.

Kjar never denied or admitted to anything that happened that day. He never repaired the tower nor did he clean it up beyond moving wreckage off to the sides and putting in a few basic things like a new table, chair, and assorted shelfs for books and kitchen ware. He would do his yearly obligations and then return to the same tower not to emerge again until the following year or a summoning of the entire clan. In the following weeks after the fire Kaenha Kennering was notified of the death of Yenger and Kjar was summoned before him to stand in account of the tragedy. A druid cast a spell of augury for the Laird and declared that murder was not involved, nor was there ever any maliscous intentions or jealousy precipitating events at the tower. His sanity could not be ascertained at the time due to Kjar's grief and "unusuall nature", however since the Laird and the druid were satisfied no wrong doing was involved Kjar was left to his own so long as he fullfilled his responsibilities to the clan. Kjar lost everything he and Yenger owned in that fire except his spell book which was on his person at the time. He maintained his skills but hasn't really tried to improve upon them or progress his knowledge any further. He is in a rut and it doesn't look as if he will becoming out of it anytime soon. Utimately the only one who can help Kjar out of this depressive state is Kjar.

Powers/Tactics: Elementalists are variant Arcane Magic users, casting Spells associated with the 4 classic Elements of Fire, Earth, Air, and Water. Though they have fewer esoteric and utility spells than Wizards, Elementalists are powerful Spellcasters, and most Wizards give them their due only rarely lumping them in with the maligned practitioners of Thaumaturgy.
Campaign Use: In the middle lands of the Vold there is a confluence of several rivers called the Oberfallen, resulting in a good sized lake called Pargo after the Pargori Clan. The Pargori Clan earns a fat living from this lake and the other surrounding water bodies, fishing for their food and trading for most else. The Unien River empties from the Oberfallen into the ocean to the south, so the Pargori are in a good position to trade up and down the middle of the Vold amongst the rest of the Machtig. Finally, there is a large stand of trees along the banks ideal for the crafting of longboats, which the Pargori carefully harvest to maintain balance and craft into the fell ships much feared by nearby coastal neighbors. The Pargori themselves are not very active reavers, preferring to remain in the Vold, but they sell/trade their longboats to the Raevoring Clan, who love nothing better than to attack coastal villages outside the Vold. The Pargori are largely Experts with the occasional Druid, but number many Skalds; in fact 2 of the current Meisters are Pargori. Additionally there is a large concentration of Zauberer in the area. The Pargori ancestral home is Fallenheim, which is on a large hill above the lake. A large town has grown around it and around the lake over the centuries. A good deal of trade is conducted from here, making Fallenhiem the closest thing to a city to be found in the Vold.

And finally, an Aeldenaren, with innate Gifts inherited from an Haelfinan heritage. In this case this character purchased 3 Aeldenaren Gifts. His primary ability is Invisibility. Nowhere near as flexible or outright powerful as a learned spellcaster, the Aeldenari has the advantage of consistency. They can work their magic at will so long as they have END to pay for it. They are difficult to dispel also, since they just reactivate their power(s) if they get turned off, no big deal. Used to accentuate the characters' other abilities, in this case Archery, Aeldenari can be quite potent, though more subtle, less overt, and more personal than many other forms of magic.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Ayden Hrædaled

Alternate Identities:

Player Name: Kristin Molle

12 STR 10 2 12/18 11- / 13- HTH Damage 2d6/3 1/2d6 END [1]
15 DEX 10 15 15 12- OCV 5 DCV 5
12 CON 10 4 12 11-
12 BODY 10 4 12 11-
11 INT 10 1 11 11- PER Roll 12-
10 EGO 10 0 10 11- ECV: 3
11 PRE 10 1 11 11- PRE Attack: 2d6
12 COM 10 1 12 11-

2 PD 2 0 2/5   2/5 PD (0/3 rPD)
2 ED 2 0 2/5   2/5 ED (0/3 rED)
5 SPD 2.5 25 5   Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
4 REC 4 0 4  
24 END 24 0 24  
24 STUN 24 0 24    
8" Running 6 4 8"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2"/1"" Leaping 2 0 2"/3" 57 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=257286
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 12
Spent: 10
Unspent: 2
Total Points: 170
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 8" [16" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"/3"
V. Leap (1") 1"/1 1/2"
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Red
Eye Color:  Indigo
Height:  5' 7"
Weight:  150 lbs
Description:
An outsider might recognize Ayden as Machtig purely for the red hair on his head. Of course, that same figurative outsider would stand Ayden next to most other clans of his nation, and likely declare him a rather fetching young girl. Compared to the towering Ulthferen, Ayden’s 5 foot 7 inch frame is a mere sapling, and his lithe, wiry build weighs less than half one of the massively built Wundvolding or Huarthmunn. Aelfing blud of generations past gives his features a delicacy as well, with sculpted cheeks, a pointed chin, and a finely shaped nose free of the disfigurement of brawling. Thin lips seem perpetually pursed in an expression of disintrest. His brows are thin and arched above indigo eyes, a deep almost canny blue that almost subsumes the purple hint in them. Ayden’s ears have a bit of of an upsweep to them, though nothing that could be called ‘pointed’, and tend to protrude visibly through his hair when its left hanging. Which is rare, when working; he’s kept it long, which is impractical, and the straight fine hairs are the brilliant reds of copper and sunset. Much safer tied back with a leather thong and covered with a simple cloth scarf. The wiry build implies speed rather than strength, most of his muscles are in the arms and shoulders of an archer. But despite this physical unimpressiveness, he carries himself with a confident air, if aloof.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 2/5 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0/3  
Energy Defense 2/5 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0/3  
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION

Combat Skill Levels: +1 with All Combat , +4 with Long Bow
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
9 Druidic Gift of Spring Breezes: Gliding 10", combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4) (12 Active Points); May Not Gain Altitude (-1/4)
Elvenblooded
1) +1 PER with all Sense Groups
2) Archers STR: +6 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (9 Active Points); Only to Draw Bow (-2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
15 Aeldenari: EC, 30-point powers
1) Bend Light: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups , No Fringe (35 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (uses END Reserve)
2) Hypersensitive Hearing: Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (32 Active Points); Activation 13-, Jammed (-1 1/4), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [Hearing] (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (uses END Reserve)
3) Arrows from Twigs: Minor Transform 3d6 (Small wooden objects into Arrows) (30 Active Points); Requires A Weaponsmith Skill Roll (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (uses END Reserve)
4) My way: Major Transform 2d6 (Anything into anything) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (uses END Reserve)
5) Hawkeyes: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) +8 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (12 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Linked (Penalty Skill Levels; -1/2), Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time (+1/4) (uses END Reserve) (Real Cost: 3) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +8 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks (24 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (uses END Reserve) (Real Cost: 6)
10 Aeldenari: Endurance Reserve (90 END, 1 REC) (10 Active Points)
71 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Long Bow: HEAVY (2D6+1), 2 handed, -6 to Conceal, Puncturing: +2 OCV to hit; +2 damage per die vs Chain Armors (up to the total DEF of the armor); -2 OCV to Block with' Launcher (175"); Readied: Takes 1/2 Phase Action to Load/Ready weapon
Leather: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); OAF (-1)
Notes: Double DEF vs Fire and Explosions
PERKS
Cost  Name
1 Status: Thegn (Machtig)
1 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
1 Aeldenari Gift: Gift of Decieving
Notes: This Gift enables the Aeldenari to fool the senses of others. Having this Gift enables an Aeldenari to purchase Powers which are constructed using Images and Invisibility
1 Aeldenari Gift: Gift of Knowing
Notes: This Gift gives an Aeldenari the capacity for vast mystical awareness. An Aeldenari that has this Gift may purchase Powers which are constructed using Clairisentience, Telepathy, Enhanced Senses, or Mind Scan.
1 Aeldenari Gift: Gift of Willing
Notes: This Gift enables the Aeldenari to force their will upon the world around them, changing nearly anything in the surrounding enviroment and the environment itself into anything the Aeldenari can imagine. Having this Gift enables an Aeldenari to purchase Powers which are constructed using Change Enviroment and Transform
3 Absolute Range Sense
6 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
Light Foot Package
1) +1 with All Combat
2) +4 with Long Bow
3) AF: Light Armor Proficiency
4) Fast Draw 12-
5) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Sling
Elvenblooded
1) Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered Ranged) 11-
2) CuK: Aelfing (INT-based) 11-
3) Language: Aelfing (basic conversation; literate)
1 Stealth 8-
1 Tracking 8-
35 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima No Age Restriction
10 DF: Aeldenari (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
5 DF: Elven-blooded (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
5 Phys. Lim.: Disoriented in Non-Forrested Areas; Easily Lost (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10 Money: Destitute
10 Psych. Lim.: Destiny Child Syndrome (Uncommon, Strong)
10 Psych. Lim.: Ethnocentricity (Common, Moderate)
15 Psych. Lim.: Naive and Sheltered (Common, Strong)
10 Psych. Lim.: Promiscuous (Uncommon, Strong)
5 Rivalry: Professional (w Archers; Rival is More Powerful; Seek to Outdo; Rival Unaware of Rivalry)
Height: 5' 7" Hair: Red
Weight: 150 lbs Eyes: Indigo
Appearance: An outsider might recognize Ayden as Machtig purely for the red hair on his head. Of course, that same figurative outsider would stand Ayden next to most other clans of his nation, and likely declare him a rather fetching young girl. Compared to the towering Ulthferen, Ayden’s 5 foot 7 inch frame is a mere sapling, and his lithe, wiry build weighs less than half one of the massively built Wundvolding or Huarthmunn. Aelfing blud of generations past gives his features a delicacy as well, with sculpted cheeks, a pointed chin, and a finely shaped nose free of the disfigurement of brawling. Thin lips seem perpetually pursed in an expression of disintrest. His brows are thin and arched above indigo eyes, a deep almost canny blue that almost subsumes the purple hint in them. Ayden’s ears have a bit of of an upsweep to them, though nothing that could be called ‘pointed’, and tend to protrude visibly through his hair when its left hanging. Which is rare, when working; he’s kept it long, which is impractical, and the straight fine hairs are the brilliant reds of copper and sunset. Much safer tied back with a leather thong and covered with a simple cloth scarf. The wiry build implies speed rather than strength, most of his muscles are in the arms and shoulders of an archer. But despite this physical unimpressiveness, he carries himself with a confident air, if aloof.
Personality: Ayden is aloof and mercurial. His combination of Aeldenari gifts is very self-centered - he knows what is going on in the environment he inhabits, and can force his will upon that environment to shape it more appropriately to his desires, but his gift of deception means the truth others see is dependent his will as well. He didn’t have the ties of family growing up, national pride with his clan’s isolationism, or even the bonds of friendship. Its always been about him, though his time with the Aelfing did make him realize he’s still fairly low on the figurative totem pole. His sense of destiny does have him overvaluing his own contributions, and his confidence in his Aeldenari abilities means he doesn’t plan ahead extensively for daily matters - life or death situations, yes, because then he might die - but he probably wouldn’t even bother to think about bringing gear on a camping trip. He essentially spent a century as a boy without a family, so he isn’t accustomed to bonding, and the long boyhood of being able to fill any want with his gift contributed a Pan-ish quality. The one part of him that is most mature is his feeling of destiny to his people - though some of that is manifesting in a much less-mature desire to help personally repopulate the Faendradi. Ayden thinks very highly of himself, so of course his children would naturally be good additions. Women, especially attractive and compitent seeming women, catch his eye like the worst of lechers - he just feels justified.

Geas: Beware the path unfollowed.

Quote:"Uraltblut die Bogenspanner sights an arrow

Warping the weft and pulling the weaves

Days of Aelfing yore sought in furlough

Past years of strength he sought to retrieve

Turning his people from their barrow

And prevent us all from a Clan to grieve"

Background: Ayden Hraedaled remembers a time when Neirin was not Laird of the Faendradi. In another clan, this might be a bit impressive for a man who appears to be in his twenties, or might not even be worth them blinking. But the Forest Laird has led his dwindling people for over a century now, and many among their number have never known any other ruler.

Ayden does. And while he may not remember the politics, he remembers the way new life seemed to breathe into their forests at the change of leadership, and the way one of the soundless Gewählt came deep to their forest when Ungheuer troubled the family.

The blood of his own people, the Faendradi, is stronger in him than his Laird. His parents were a young couple so steeped in druidic nature-lore they wouldn’t even live in the treetop steading of Llawruchaf, though it had been generations since they had interbred with the Aelfing. Thus it was all the greater surprise when their cute red-haired son showed Aeldenari Gifts greater than his family had manifest in years. Ayden was a playful and strong-willed toddler, quick to learn if he wanted, and impossible to tempt if he didn’t - because whatever toy or treat he wanted, he would simply transform from some household object. It became his most practiced skill early on; even when he didn’t want something specifically, changing the tools and decorations into Other Things would generally stirr his parents up into an entertaining frenzy.

They were quickly at their wits end, all but vowing never to have a child again, when their close friend - Druid Targon - stop by to give them some counsel before making any ‘rash decisions’. He easily saw what powers Ayden had (and lost a good waterskin for his trouble), and offered to take him to visit with the Aelfing. He needed someone with similar or greater powers to teach him control - and control him - or the druid explained the boy would have a difficult time understanding the balance of nature and how he should fit into that. The druid felt this boy had a destiny, and if Ayden’s life continued to revolve so completely around himself, he may prove useless when the moment arrived.

The parents accepted, and more eagerly than the Aelfing community. But Aelfing are fickle, so while they aceeded to the druid’s requests, they weren’t about to put themselves out doing it - rather than rush themselves to spend time with a quickly-growing young mortal, they used their magic to slow time for Ayden and Targon. Faendradi are long lived, but a full century passed, and Ayden only grew to be a ten year old boy. He learned much about the nature of his powers, and refined his favorite shape-changing trick to a well-practiced tool for making arrows. His best skill in defense came to be his ability to dissapear from sight, but close behind it was his skill with a bow - the long practices shooting at trees helped him to refine an acurrate sense of distance. As he could only use pure invisibility for a short period of time, he became familiar with stealth, and excelled at tracking - though whether his specific knowledge will translate as well outside his home forests has yet to be seen.

Returning home was less of a shock than it might otherwise have been - with Neirin’s unchanging ways, the Faendradi seemed to simply be there the same as they always were. Only, there were less of them now. Ayden’s druid mentor, Targon, explained this emptyness to him with this history of his people. And how the Aelfing were trying to ‘breed out’ what was still Machtig about them. That was more of a shock than seeing his parents elderly, and his younger siblings ready for children of their own. Ayden had always thought of the Faendradi as a blessed people for their union with the Aelfing! Neirin’s complacency with the decline wouldn’t do; the young Aeldenari valued his people too much to allow them to decline this way. Targon had repeated throughout his life he was destined for great things, and Ayden now felt part of that was to pass on that greatness to future generations.

Powers/Tactics: Bowman and Aeldenari.
Campaign Use: The Faendradi have always had the most contact with the Aelfing folk, and they number many Druids among them. The average Faendradi is a Ranger or Druid or a Ranger/Druid, with some commoners and the occasional Barbarian. The Faendradi are also renowned for their Skalds, who are traditionally the most talented and fairest-tongued men in the Vold. The Druids are trying to encourage growth amongst the Clan, but have barely been able to stop the downward slide. The ancestral home of the Clan is the Baumhause, an actual tree-city like those of the Aelfing in other lands.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres another magic user from the Totemic Shamanism thread.http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14826

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Shal-nam

Alternate Identities:

Player Name:

13 STR 10 3 13/43 12- / 18- HTH Damage 2 1/2d6/8 1/2d6 END [1]
17 DEX 10 21 17/23 12- / 14- OCV 6/8 DCV 6/8
23 CON 10 32 23/33 14- / 16-
13 BODY 10 6 13 12-
13 INT 10 3 13 12- PER Roll 12-
18 EGO 10 16 18 13- ECV: 6
13 PRE 10 3 13/23 12- / 14- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6 / 4 1/2d6
14 COM 10 2 14 12-

3 PD 3 0 3/11   3/11 PD (0/8 rPD)
3 ED 5 -2 3/11   3/11 ED (0/8 rED)
3 SPD 2.7 3 3/4   Phases: 4, 8, 12/3, 6, 9, 12
8 REC 8 0 8  
45 END 46 0 45  
32 STUN 32 0 32    
7" Running 6 2 7"/12"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
3 1/2"/1 1/2"" Leaping 3 1 3 1/2"/9 1/2" 90 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=279823
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 40
Spent: 40
Total Points: 190
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 7"/12" [28"/48" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (3") 3 1/2"/9 1/2"
V. Leap (1") 1 1/2"/4 1/2"
Flight 0"/10" [0"/80" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Black
Eye Color:  Black
Height:  5' 9"
Weight:  130 lbs
Description:
An attractive dusky skinned woman with raven black hair, black eyes, and dressed mostly in natural animal hides with a few carved beads as accent.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 3/11 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0/8  
Energy Defense 3/11 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0/8  
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 6/8 DCV: 6/8

Combat Skill Levels: +1 with All Combat , +1 Overall
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
19 Beastforms: Multiform (190 Character Points in the most expensive form) (x5 Number Of Forms (Bear Totem, Boar Totem, Hawk Totem, Weasel Totem, Wolf Totem)) (53 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points Totem Lore; -1/4)
19 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Smallsword: MEDIUM (3d6 w/ Mightyness; 1 1/2D6 Base), 13 STR MIN, -4 to Conceal, 1 handed, Slicing: +3 DC vs Opponents with no Resistant Defense or wearing Leather Armors; -2 damage per die vs Plate Armors, Balanced: +1 OCV with Disarm, Block
Recurve Bow: MEDIUM (1 1/2D6 Base), 2 handed, -4 to Conceal, Piercing: +1 OCV to hit; +1 damage per die vs Chain Armors (up to the total DEF of the armor); -1 OCV to Block with, Rapid: +3 Lightning Reflexes with self, Launcher (75")
Totem Powers
1) Advanced Agility: (Total: 28 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) +6 DEX (18 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4) (Real Cost: 6)
Notes: Totemic Shamanism
2) Advanced Flight: Flight 10", x8 Noncombat (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
3) Advanced Frenzy: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) +10 STR (10 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +10 CON (20 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 10)
4) Advanced Mightiness: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) +20 STR (20 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 10) plus +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 6)
5) Advanced Senses: (Total: 29 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) +8 PER with all Sense Groups (24 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus Nightvision (5 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)
6) Advanced Stealth: Invisibility to Sight, Smell/Taste and Hearing Groups (30 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
7) Advanced Toughness: Armor (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4)
8) Basic Ramming: HA +2d6, Lingering up to 1 Turn (+1/2) (15 Active Points); HA (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
9) Basic Running: Running +5" (7"/12" total), x4 Noncombat (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
10) Basic Tooth and Claw: HKA 1/2d6 (1d6 / 1d6+1 w/STR) (vs. PD), Lingering up to 1 Turn (+1/2) (15 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)
0 Beast Speech (Bear Totem, Boar Totem, Hawk Totem, Weasel Totem, Wolf Totem)
3 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
8 +1 with All Combat
7 Totem Lore: Power (EGO-based) 15-
5 Animal Handler (Canines, Other Boars, Other Weasel, Raptors, Ursines) 8-
3 Fast Draw 12- (14-)
Human
1) Human Adaptability: +1 Overall
2) Human Diversity: AK: Kaer-Na (INT-based) 12-
3) Human Diversity: CuK: Kaer-Nese People 11-
4) Human Work Ethic: PS: Hunter (INT-based) 14-
1 Language: ELD SPEECH (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
1 Language: HAELFIRI (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active Points)
1 Paramedics 8-
3 Stealth 12- (14-)
2 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 12-
20 Totems (Bear Totem, Boar Totem, Hawk Totem, Weasel Totem, Wolf Totem)
3 Tracking 12-
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
78 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 DF: Totemic Shaman (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
15 Enraged: When Goaded (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
Human
1) DF: Human (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
2) Normal Characteristic Maxima
20 Psych. Lim.: Aggressive/Feral (Very Common, Strong)
20 Rivalry: Professional (Neighboring Nations; Rival is More Powerful; Rival is a Group; Seek to Harm or Kill Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
10 Soc. Lim.: Barbarian (Frequently, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
Height: 5' 9" Hair: Black
Weight: 130 lbs Eyes: Black
Appearance: An attractive dusky skinned woman with raven black hair, black eyes, and dressed mostly in natural animal hides with a few carved beads as accent.
Personality: Spirtual but stalwart.
Quote: "Uano hau a'shi lanoe sukee Panosa kae sano wei." (roughly translated: "I smell your treachery and will hunt you like mice in the field, Nordmanner.") -- the Kaer-Na call the Nordmanner "Panosa" (pawn-OH-sa; roughly "big robbers").
Background: Shal-nam is a child of the ancient nation of Kaer-Na, which is the last remnant of the Eld-folk, which has survived, though dwindling, since the Age of Legends. One of the groups of Humans that remained loyal to the Haelfinan during the great wars of many millennia past, they were sorely set upon and driven into the northlands along with the Haelfinan predecessors of those that reside in Eardrelin still today. The Kaer-Na had the run of the hilly plainsland until about 3000 years ago a tall blonde haired people from Runorshorvas crossed over via a landbridge and slowly but surely started dominating the northlands, cutting the Kaer-Na off from their distant Haelfinan allies in Eardrelin, and spreading into the interior. The Kaer-Na were able to hold a pocket of land towards the east as the Nordmanner seemed determined to push inward and left them behind.

Since that time the Kaer-Na, who always had a martial tradition due to their past, have had to be ready to defend their borders at all times to discourage any sudden aggression from the Nordmanner. The Kaer-Na have relied on their ancient shamanisitic traditions to protect them, and though their magics seem primative to many in the modern day, they still have enough simple potency to be formidable.

Shalnam is a Totem Warrior among her people, blessed by several Totems in various spirit quests over her life, and she uses the blessings of the Totems to stand ready to defend her nation from all comers.

Powers/Tactics: Totemic Shaman
Campaign Use: Sample Totemic Shaman, useful "beast master" type character
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.25)

An example of the Arcanis Magnicus variant of wizardry, which uses a "Spell Level Gestalt" on Charges in a partially Cosmic VPP to indicate that casting all the Spells of the same Level (ie 15 Pool increment) run off of a shared pool of charges. In this case the character has 6 Charges for each Spell Level from 0 to 3rd. It takes a half phase to bring a new Spell into the VPP.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Fialla Lorathian

Alternate Identities:

8 STR 10 -2 8 11- HTH Damage 1 1/2d6 END [1]
10 DEX 10 0 10 11- OCV 3 DCV 3
10 CON 10 0 10 11-
10 BODY 10 0 10 11-
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-/14-
15 EGO 10 10 15 12- ECV: 5
16 COM 10 3 16 12-

3 SPD 2.0 10 3   Phases: 4, 8, 12
4 REC 4 0 4  
20 END 20 0 20  
19 STUN 19 0 19    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
1 1/2"/0 1/2"" Leaping 2 0 1 1/2" 34 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=282597
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 30
Spent: 30
Total Points: 180
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 1 1/2"
V. Leap (1") 0 1/2"
Flight 0"/30" [0"/240" NC]
Teleport 0"/20" [0"/40" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Reddish Brown
Eye Color:  Light Brown
Height:  6' 2"
Weight:  145 lbs
Description:
A very handsome, tall, well built, and aggressive looking woman. She wears a signature cloak of black feathers and since coming to Kasaad she has taken to wearing a custom-tailored hawk-motif halter (being from the frigid north she finds the southlands to be a tad hot and dresses somewhat skimpily to defeat the heat).

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Res. Phys. Defense 0  
Res. Energy Defense 0  
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 3 DCV: 3

Combat Skill Levels: +2 with Ranged Combat , +2 with Ranged Combat (10 Active Points); Only vs Kor (-2) , +1 Overall , +6 with DCV, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 20 Minutes each (Spell Level Gestalt; +0) (30 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 17
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
2 Human Awareness: +1 PER with Sight Group
90 Wizardry: VPP (Magic Pool), 60 base + 30 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (+1/2), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (135 Active Points); Arcane Magic Only (-1/2), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (w/ Spell Book & Study Time) (-1/2), Limited Known Spell List (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; Extra Time, Concentration, Incantation, Gesture, Limited Range, or RSR: Magic Skill vs. Spell Resistance; -1/4)
1) Light: Sight Group Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 20 Minutes each (Spell Level Gestalt; +0) (15 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Set Effect (-1), OAF (Focus (Object Touched); -1), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 3
Notes: Collegium Comprium [Light]
2) Read Magic: Detect Meaning of Magical Writings 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 20 Minutes each (Spell Level Gestalt; +0) (15 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4) Real Cost: 7
Notes: Collegium Comprium
3) Mage Hand: Telekinesis (5 STR), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (15 Active Points); 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (Spell Level Gestalt; -3/4), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Limited Range (4" + 1" /15 Points in VPP) (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 5
Notes: Collegium Comprium, Wish
4) Eyes of Darkest Night: Nightvision, Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Telescopic (+3 versus Range Modifier), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Century each (Spell Level Gestalt; +0) (15 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 10
Notes: Collegium Comprium, NEW
5) Detect Magic: Mystic Awareness, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (15 Active Points); 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (Spell Level Gestalt; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) Real Cost: 7
6) Looming: Growth (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, -2" KB, 263 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (Spell Level Gestalt; +0), Persistent (+1/2) (15 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 10
7) Lesser Blink: +6 with DCV, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 20 Minutes each (Spell Level Gestalt; +0) (30 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 17
Notes: Collegium Fortensium, Teleportation
8) Minor Fire Fan: RKA 1d6 (vs. ED), AOE (4" Cone; +1) (30 Active Points); 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), No Range (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 8
Notes: Collegium Potensium, Fire
9) Combat Flight: Flight 15" (30 Active Points); 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (Spell Level Gestalt; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 15
Notes: Collegium Fugium
10) Minor Mystic Bolts: EB 3d6+1 (vs. ED), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, No Range Modifier, Explosion, AoE 1 hex Accurate); +3/4) (30 Active Points); 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) Real Cost: 8
Notes: Collegium Potensium, Force
11) Spell Deflection: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Trigger (When An Offensive Ranged Spell Is Incoming; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Spells Only (-2), 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 6
Notes: Collegium Fortensium
12) Lesser Invisibility: Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 20 Minutes each (Spell Level Gestalt; +0) (30 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 20
13) Detect Invisible: Spatial Awareness (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Range, Rapid (x10), Telescopic (+1 versus Range Modifier), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 6 Hours each (+0) (43 Active Points); Only To Detect Invisible & Concealed Physical Objects (-1 1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 14
14) Immolation: Energy Blast 9d6 (vs. ED) (45 Active Points); 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 16
Notes: Collegium Potensium [Fire]
15) Improved Wizards Armor: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (Spell Level Gestaltt; +0), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (45 Active Points); IIF (Focus (Piece of Cured Leather); -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 26
Notes: Collegium Fortensium, Force
16) Sense Thoughts: Telepathy 3d6 ( Human class of minds), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Cumulative (x2 max.) (36 points; +3/4), Lingering up to 1 Minute (+3/4) (45 Active Points); 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (Spell Level Gestalt; -1/2), Receive Only (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance; -1/4) Real Cost: 13
17) Lesser Dimensional Hop: Teleportation 20", Position Shift (45 Active Points); 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), LOS Only (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 14
18) Dispel Magic -- Arcane: Dispel Arcane Magic 13d6, Any Arcane Magic Effect 1 at a time (+1/2) (58 Active Points); 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Magic Skill vs Magic Skill of Caster; -1/4) Real Cost: 19
19) Improved Mystic Bolts: EB 6 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, No Range Modifier, Explosion, AoE 1 hex Accurate); +3/4) (58 Active Points); 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) Real Cost: 16
Notes: Collegium Potensium, Force
20) Spell Reflection: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Trigger (When An Offensive Ranged Spell Is Incoming; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Spells Only (-2), 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 13
21) Fireball III: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 6 Charges (Spell Level Gestalt; -1 1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 22
Notes: Collegium Potensium [Fire]
22) Distance Flight: Flight 15", x8 Noncombat, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 6 Hours each (Spell Level Gestalt; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 40
92 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Equipment
1) Bedroll: Bedroll (0 Active Points)
2) Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial): Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial) (0 Active Points)
3) Quill: Quill (0 Active Points)
4) Rations (1 weeks): Rations (1 weeks) (0 Active Points)
5) Sealing Wax: Sealing Wax (0 Active Points)
6) Spellbook,Small: (0 Active Points)
7) Tent, Canvas: Tent, Canvas (0 Active Points)
PERKS
Cost  Name
2 Wizard Rep: Reputation: Moderately Powerful Wizard (Wizards of Vorgaanese Lands) 14-, +2/+2d6
2 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Good Memory: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Requires An INT Roll (-3/4)
3 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
10 +2 with Ranged Combat
3 +2 with Ranged Combat (10 Active Points); Only vs Kor (-2)
5 CuK: Lanolyan Region (INT-based) 15-
1 Language: Travenspenova (basic conversation; Language Familiarity, literate)
1 Language: Usveranathovan dialect (Vorgaanese) (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
5 PS: Wizard (INT-based) 15-
3 Scholar
1) Collegium Comprium: KS: Utility Spells (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2) Collegium Fortensium : KS: Defense Spells (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
3) Collegium Fugium : KS: Movement Spells (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
4) Collegium Potensium: KS: Attack Spells (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 15-
1 WF: Short Blades
49 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 DF: Mage (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10 Hunted: Random Bounty Hunters (Kor-Hus tribe of Kor-vashi has a price on her head) 8- (As Pow, Limited Geographical Area, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15 Psych. Lim.: Aggressive (Common, Strong)
15 Psych. Lim.: Hates Kor-Vashi (Uncommon, Total)
15 Reputation: Kor-Vashi Slayer, 14- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)
10 Soc. Lim.: Exiled from Home Country of Lanolyan (Occasionally, Severe, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
Height: 6' 2" Hair: Reddish Brown
Weight: 145 lbs Eyes: Light Brown
Appearance: A very handsome, tall, well built, and aggressive looking woman. She wears a signature cloak of black feathers and since coming to Kasaad she has taken to wearing a custom-tailored hawk-motif halter (being from the frigid north she finds the southlands to be a tad hot and dresses somewhat skimpily to defeat the heat).
Personality: Destroying Kor-vashi is never far from Fialla's mind. She views everything through the filter of her hate for them.
Quote:"A condizione che ottenga uccidere Kor che sono giusto con esso."; (translated: "So long as I get to kill Kor I'm ok with it.")
Background: Fialla Lorathian, also known as the Firehawk, is an impressively powerful Wizard from Lanolyan. Practicing the form of Wizardry developed in the northern Vorgaanese lands called Arcanis Magnicus, Fialla is a student of the Collegium Potensium (Guera subschool) based in Valenezia, a frontier fortress/city on the Vandolor River near the border with the lands claimed by the Kor-Hus tribe of Kor-vashi.

Fialla was born in the town of Loranth in the fief of the Lord Valenez to a family of farmers, and grew up fairly happy and contended for the first 8 years of her life. However, her idyllic agrarian existance was cut short by and unexpected raid from the Kor-Hus lands after many years of peace wiped out her family and most of the other townsfolk. Fialla was stuffed into a storm cellar by her mother who then joined the other townsfolk fighting against the Kor and was subsequently killed. Fialla was found by a scouting party from Valenezia along with a handful of other survivors and was taken to Valenzia where she became a state ward. As is normal for young orphans in Lanolyan Fialla was tested for magical aptitude and found to be well suited to the study of magic. She was coopted into the Collegium Potensium as an apprentice.

Fialla learned her craft well as trouble with the Kor-Hus escalated over a decade into a full-scale war. Acheiving Journeyman status at 18, Fialla joined the Guera Forti, a loose Corps of Guera Magni (battle trained wizards) figthing the Kor from Velenezia and quickly won a name for herself with her agressive and bold tactics, killing Kor mercilously. The Kor took to calling her the Aelwydgwylltu (ale-weh-GWITH-tee; very roughly translated to Hawk of Fire, but with connotations of rage and speed), and her countrymen started calling her Firehawk when this became known incidentally via some captured Kor.

The war dragged on for seven years after Fialla joined the fray, but eventually was brought to peace talks. A treaty was signed and aggressions ceased, but Fialla refused to quit her personal war of revenge and mounted expeditions into Kor lands, along with several other die-hards with personal grudges. This group of about 40 hardend veterans came to be called the Durodad (DOOR-oh-DODD; roughly translates to difficult to stop or hard to kill depending on context), and while their actions originally went unremarked upon by Haerengeth Thrandero, the thirty-ninth Lord Valenz, after the Durodad killed Guromak, son of Giromedd, Cheiftan of the Kor-Hus tribe the Kor threatened war again if the transgressors were not punished. The Lord Valenz was forced to exile the members of the Durodad, though it was done without heat. The lot simply went across the river into Quirrian lands and continued their guerrilla raids from a small town called Fiuguado barely 5 miles from Velenezia. They suffered some loses in the process and eventually their numbers were reduced to a mere 18 hardened champions.

Finally the Kor took drastic measures. Giromedd put prices on the heads of the remaining 18 Durodad, 250 gold circlets for the head of each one. Would-be assassins and bounty hunters soon converged in the Fiuguado area and after several small scuffles a group of those looking to collect on the Durodad's heads banded together for a single major attack. One bloody night later 10 of the Durodad remained alive, Fiuguado was a smoking ruin, and the survivors were no longer welcome in Quiria.

Barred from both Quiria and Lanolyan, the survivors options were extremely limited. They decided that their best chance of survival was to ride the Vandolor River south out of the region into the southlands, even though this would take them near and through the lands of numerous tribes of Kor. The surviving 10 were further whittled to 7 in the ensuing journey, but they eventually arrived in Kasaad. Needing to make a living for themselves, the final seven have become a small but elite mercenary company operating out of Kasaad and it's environs. They typically are hired to fight off Kor attacks on the journey north to Daelanthanor and the Nordlands.

Powers/Tactics: Flexible Wizard.
Campaign Use: Potential Ally or enemy, background character, Magic System comparison point.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.25)