Disadvantage Help Request: Hunting

TheEmerged

I've seen this disadvantage somewhere, either in older writeups or newer ones. I believe the idea is that it's the opposite pair of Hunted -- you take up enough of your time hunting someone that it's worth points. It popped into my mind because I believe it would be appropriate to give to Ace (of the Protectors) targetting Oamen (one of the PC's) after the last session.

Has an explanation for this disadvantage been printed somewhere that I either don't have access to (like Digital HERO or pre-4th Edition material), or (more likely) just overlooked?

Assuming the answer is no...

1> For the purposes of the 50-point disadvantage category cap, what category should it be in? Hunted or Psychological would be the most obvious, but I could see a case for Rivalry ("It's a more severe version of Rivalry") or Social ("The time spent means you don't have time for other activities, and other people are turned off by this kind of behavior") as well.

2> Related to the above, would it be more appropriate to build it like a Hunted (points for relative power and occurance) or the more typical "how much trouble it causes" plus "how often it causes trouble" model?

3> Would giving each half a +5 "Mutual" bonus to a regular Hunted be more appropriate?

Thank you for your time.

What we've taken to doing in our campaign is defining such people as "Enemy". Build them like a hunted but at -5 points. -unless the Enemy is mutually hunting then they're both hunteds. Enemy is essentially, an enemy that is not actively hunting you(hence the -5). They count as Hunteds for the purpose of category.

I treat "Hunting" as a psych lim...I sort of consider it short hand for "Obsessed with" (wants to do something to or with, takes a lot of time otherwise spent on a "life") severity covers how tweaked the hunter is ("I have no time for a shower! While I bathe saphire is out there...plotting devilty!")....

Just for the sake of comparison, the original "Hunted" Disadvantage was published in Champions III. It was treated as a subset of Psychological Limitation then, too, but written up differently:

Hunting Target on 8- : 5 pts.

Hunting Target on 11- : 10 pts.

Hunting Target on 14- " 15 pts.

Hero hunts target to bring him in: +0 pts.

Hero takes irrational actions in the face of target: +5 pts.

The frequency relates to how much time the character actively spends Hunting his target, e.g. on 11- he spends roughly half his time on this.

Assuming a player wanted to roleplay this situation and the GM was willing to accomodate it, I suppose you could use the point breakdown for standard 5E Hunted as to the quality of the target, and use similar mechanics: roll at the beginning of each game session to see whether the character gets some clue or lead to the one he's Hunting. Alternatively the roll might dictate whether the character decides to drop everything else and go after the one he's Hunting, but that could seriously crimp the GM's plans.

Ultimately it's probably simpler just to go with the Psych Lim approach.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a "Hunter Syndrome" disad. It's much like the opposite of Hunted.

Circumstance to go hunting:

Uncommon 0

Common 5

Very common 10

Chance to go hunting:

8/less 5

11/less 10

14/less 15

Aim of hunting is:

Reasonable 0

Irrational 5

However, from an orthodox perspective, psych lim probably the right way to go.

4th ed. Dark Champions calls Hunting a Psych Lim

I do Hunting as a Hunted without the “Frequencyâ€. For the purpose of Category Maxima, I call it a Hunted (prevents people from taking the Hunted and Hunting w/ the same target), but it could also be appropriate to call it a Psych Lim or Rivalry.