Magic: The Gathering to Fantasy Hero

Nightmask

Wall of Swords

Entangle 5d6 (standard Effect: 5 BODY), 5 DEF (70 Active Points) & HKA d6+1 (20 Active Points), OAF (Holy Item; -1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/2), Only to Form Barriers (-1), Requires a Faith Roll (-1/2), Wall Must Contact the Ground On At Least One Edge (-1/4), Link (HKA Only; -1/2). Total Cost: 15 + 4 = 19 points.

• 1 year later...

Re: Magic: The Gathering to Fantasy Hero

Heres a Spell conversion for you.

Gossamer Chains (White):

Effect: Entangle 1d6, 1 DEF

Target/Area: One Hex

Cast Time: Half-Phase (Attack Action)

Procedures: Incantations, Gestures

Duration: Instant

Range: 137â€

Magic Roll: -5

END Cost: 10

“Harah swung his sword mightily, but still the air held him fast†Gossamer Chains is an insidious spell, when cast, blue-white threads erupt from the ground or nearby objects (or even thin air if no solid objects are near), restraining any target within the area of effect. Because Gossamer Chains are individually so small they remain unaffected by attacks directed at the restrained opponent, only attacks directed at the Chains themselves, or attacks that effect an Area, will damage the chains.

Game Information: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks (+1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex) (+1/2), Indirect (+1/2)(50 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase)(-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Increased Endurance (x2)(-1/2), Requires Skill Roll (Wizardry)(-1/2). Cost: 17 Points

Do you remember what issue that was? I can't seem to track it down.

I wrote that article. Actually, the only M:tG feature the system had was for classification of spells by color (White= Protection, healing, flight, etc.) The rest of it was a VPP system. Unfortunately, it was in the old Pre-DOJ Digital Hero days and DOJ seems to have removed the old archives from the site.

There's another recent thread where someone found copies of it in some internet archive.

Keith "We still use the system for our FH game" Curtis

Not positive which book, but I know I saw a Web spell somewhere.... Most of the spells used in M:tG are pretty much just common spells stolen straight from D&D with a little different flair added. I am sure you could find those pretty easily and then just re-name them for your game.

What exactly are you looking for? Something like Keith's color classification system? A rigorous translation of MtG magic into Hero? Something somewhere in between? Do you just want to port the MtG magic system to your FH game? Or do you want to play MtG Hero?

Consider this: MtG has no to hit rolls, nor does it have anything analogous to DEF; any creatures that do have something like it have the ability spelled out on the cards (i.e. "Pay 1 mana to reduce 1 damage"). In Hero it's trivially easy to build defenses that stop most of the attack, but it's difficult to build defenses that stop all damage from a single source, a la Circle of Protection or Protection from (color).

Something to consider when designing is that almost everything in MtG is oriented toward either doing damage to your opponent or denying your opponent the ability to do damage to you.

It's really hard to turn END into mana; END is something everyone has, while mana only comes from mana sources. Also, mana is not just a power source but a balancing factor; you'll be hard pressed to pay for a VPP that is big enough to give you every card's effect.

I'd almost do this: instead of buying the effects in Hero, just bust out your decks and play. Say that every turn (back and forth) equals one Turn in Hero (no SPD chart in MtG!), and that every point of damage in Magic is one BODY NND in Hero.

I've always wondered why cratures summoned into a duel participate, particoularly if the aims of the duellist are incomaptible with their own. For example, a white/black deck could feature both demons and angels as creatures. If they are from the same cosmos, they woiuld not willingly ifhgt togteher, especially for a third party who seems to have no interest in the relattve morality of what he is doing.

Also, where do the creatures come from, and do they stick around after the duel if their caster wins?

I've always wondered why cratures summoned into a duel participate, particoularly if the aims of the duellist are incomaptible with their own. For example, a white/black deck could feature both demons and angels as creatures. If they are from the same cosmos, they woiuld not willingly ifhgt togteher, especially for a third party who seems to have no interest in the relattve morality of what he is doing.

Also, where do the creatures come from, and do they stick around after the duel if their caster wins?

They way I like to think about it (which probably has nothing to do with the actual cardgame's backstory) is that there is a common universal force which can manifest itself into barriers, creatures, objects or sometimes even pure energy. :think:

Now, wizard's are very clever about a lot of things, but they aren't very good at thinking "outside the box" and tends to think in particular patterns known as the "color" of the magic.

These basic patterns are not as incompatible as one might think. So demons work with angels and can even use the other's equipment. This is the great strength of using different colors, but each color can be weaken by different things. Thus, there is a tradeoff as well to multi-colored mages.

Where do the creatures come from? They are summoning into being by tapping into the "common universal force" and shaped by the caster's desires and the color that his magic is using.

Creatures are summoned creatures, so usually they will eventually return to the "common universal force" from which they were created from. (Although, a caster might spend points to turn a loyal summoned creature into a follower, I suppose. Or they might become new hunteds.)

I guess it all depends how you look at it.,

well given the backstory, where you have to Tap specific types of mana (from specific landtypes) to produce specific effects I think that the Colorsystem is inherent to them crossing over is sort of like taking multiple Spell Skills in a skill based magic system, I think that creature summoning isn't nessessairily true summoning, in some cases it could mean hireing or a million other things, the only universal would be that the "contract" so to speak, acts as a Geas, complelling the creatures loyalty even when forced to work with creatures of opposing ideologies. Like Red/Blue, Black/White, Green/Artifact

Uhm no, you see in Tefiri's case he did use "ideas made real" when fighting off the pyrexians, But the vast majority of the combatants were not "magical contructs" in that way, though in some cases it may seem like a thin line, but most of the armies of Dominaria had been preparing for this for millina, Urza in particular, and to some extent the forests, Also the Wetherlight didn't just appear one day fully contructed just cuz Urza said a few fiddily words and waved his hands. Thus even though In-Game that Elven Pioneer was just summoned this turn, in Flavor, he did exist prior to that, and the "summoning" was more along the lines of bringing him under your sway. (Think of Summon Spells in Magic more like highly Specialized and utterly permanant Mind Control, rather then true Summoning 9 times out of 10)

possibly, but remember that each player reprents a plainswalker like teferi or urza, so wiether they spontaineously create these contructs from ideals, or merely summon then is irrelevent from a purely end result perspective

But if teferi discribes them as ideas made real, then isnt' that whats happening?

I have wondered what the perspective of those "ideas made real" might be, though. If they are actual creatures who came from another world to do battle on the plane of the duel, however, they definitely have their own viewpointsa. They don't stick around long enough to express them -- unless something goes terribly wring and they find themsevles stuck on a world that is just as alien to them as it would be to one of us.

Ok, Teferi wasn't a Planeswalker (neither was Baron) they were about as powerful as you can get short of being Planeswalkers though, And really what they can do depends largely on thier Color, I both Teferi and Baron used primarily White and Blue, now Blue does have Phantasms, (illusions, or Ideas made real, ect)However, Planeswalker or Not, Urza wasn't really a true mage, he was an Artificer, he may be an immortal whos own Physical form was little more then a representation of his mind (thats how it was described once) but he still has to literally build EVERYTHING he uses, even the Metathran were essentially built over milinia.

In the Battle Teferi was in he literally did use ideal based constructs to help fight the battle, but you'll notice that Baron was intrigued by the concept and copied the idea to a lesser extent in a later battle (riding a Phantasmal Horse) But for the most part Even in said later Battle (which in Game rules would have been a Black and White deck vs. a Pure Black (or maybe Blue Black), the Angels fought alongside the Lichs and other nasties of the Urborg swamps, in spite of Barons hatred of anything comming from Urborg, so just because they are normally opposing dosn't mean that they can't be united by a common enemy and a powerful enough Mage. and thats the concept behind Summoning, it isn't just "any one thing" how you get a creature could be a million different ways.

Baron is far better versed in magic than Teferi or Urza, having dedicated his long lifespan to the task (Urza never really studied magic i imagine, same with Teferi), but Teferi had the planeswalker spark, just like Urza. I wonder what triggered it, but he was most definitly a planeswalker.