Variable SPD: how do you model it?

Zeropoint

I was trying to write up a character with "wired reflexes" the other day, which granted, among other things, +3 SPD when active. My first instinct was to use the "Succor" option for the Aid power, since it's specifically designed for such things. I was a little surprised to find out that I was paying MORE points for SPD that I couldn't always use, and that cost END, than if I had just purchased the SPD straight.

I wound up writing it as +3 SPD, non-persistant, costs END.

Does that sound reasonable? or was I doing something wrong with the Succor?

Zeropoint

Well, if you spend 30 points on +3 SPD, that's what you get: +3 SPD. If you spend 30 points on Succor, you get 6 to 36 points of SPD (unless you get it with Standard Effect); with Self Only, it's 20. Overall, it looks like SPD isn't the best stat to Succor.

In fact, unless someone can show me the error of my ways, it looks like Succor will almost always be inferior to Non-Persistent, Costs END stats-- unless we're talking about Succoring END or STR.

EDIT: Correct-- Costs END and Non-Persistent don't go together. Forgot that. Even still.

Re: Variable SPD: how do you model it?

Oops. Yeah, I forgot about the "costs END = non-persistant" part.

Even so, I'm starting to think that Succor is really only useful if you want to be able to do it to someone else.

Zeropoint

Even so, I'm starting to think that Succor is really only useful if you want to be able to do it to someone else.

It depends. You can use the Succor multiple times to boost the Characteristic still further. For example, to get your +3 SPD, you could take 3d6 Succor: SPD, +12 Maximum, for 21 Active Points, Self Only for a final cost of 14. You have to use it an average of three times, with an END cost of 6 per phase to keep them all going, but it's also somewhat cheaper.

Well, you can do it with Suppress, anyway. I haven't found a reason not to do it with Succor.

Still, for the Power you describe, I'd go with the straight SPD, Costs END.

I'll second the notion that just buying the stat outright (with appropriate lims) is the most elegant solution.

Remember, however, that you can only change your speed during post-12...

Unless you're using the optional rule on p233 of FREd.

Why not just buy it strait (unless you want it to cost END) as a power. You don't have to use your full SPD all the time, you can voluntarily use a lower SPD value whenver you want. If you define it as "Wired Reflexes" as a power then it isn't ness. always on.

Seems like you're overly complicating the issue.

Unless you're using the optional rule on p233 of FREd.

Why not just buy it strait (unless you want it to cost END) as a power. You don't have to use your full SPD all the time, you can voluntarily use a lower SPD value whenver you want. If you define it as "Wired Reflexes" as a power then it isn't ness. always on.

Seems like you're overly complicating the issue.

There is a difference between skipping a phase and altering your speed - and there are mechanical ramifications involved.

If something costs endurance its not persistant, which stats generally are. As such, the character would, strictly speaking, have to declare what their speed was every turn, and pay endurance for each of those extra-phases in that turn, even if they didn't use it.

I don't have a problem with having a high speed and then choosing not to use phases as a matter of SFX - but that's not the same thing.

I'm not making things complicated - I'm just pointing out obvious complications.

There is a difference between skipping a phase and altering your speed - and there are mechanical ramifications involved.

If something costs endurance its not persistant, which stats generally are. As such, the character would, strictly speaking, have to declare what their speed was every turn, and pay endurance for each of those extra-phases in that turn, even if they didn't use it.

I don't have a problem with having a high speed and then choosing not to use phases as a matter of SFX - but that's not the same thing.

I'm not making things complicated - I'm just pointing out obvious complications.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say ... you can choose to become SPD2 (or any SPD# lower than your Normal SPD), not skip phases. Under standard rules you have to do this in the Post-12 environment (I would assume you are keeping the previous Turns SPD unless you declare a change) or if you use the optional rule then you declare a SPD Change during a phase and then wait for your Current SPD and desired Target SPD have matching Phases to act on, you then become the Target SPD and can act again.

This allows you to make END intensive efforts through a turn without burning yourself out. If you're standing there holding up a building why would you need SPD5? become SPD2 until help arrives.

It goes under the idea that nothing is Always On unless you purchase the limitation .. you don't always use all your SuperStrength do you? must go through a lot of glasses as you crush them to take a drink if you do. Unless you purchase Always On you can turn the power "off" whenever you want.

Actually I ran into this problem too when we switched from BBB to FRED (aid got twice as expensive, my speed boost aid got useless).

If I have speed 5 and go to speed 7 with 20 points of speed (costs end +1/2), do I pay 7 times 2 end (=14 in a turn) or twice 1 end (the extra phases cost 1 end each)? The first one is the way the rules would do it, but I really don't like it ;) You pay the end exponentially...