Choosing between two constructs for a power

Kristopher

I have an NPC in the works who is able to severely hinder other mutant's powers. I've come up with two ways to build the power, and I was wondering which one most people would choose:

Suppress Mutant Powers 16d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Can Apply (Remove) Adders (+1) (220 Active Points)

Drain Mutant Powers 6d6, Any Mutant Power one at a time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Can Remove Adders (+1) (180 Active Points)

Re: Choosing between two constructs for a power

For me this would depend on how you want the device to be used. IMO Drain works better for weapons in the field, when you want to render multiple targets vulnerable to being captured or killed for an extended period without requiring further attention from you on a particular target. OTOH Suppress is more appropriate for a long-term restraint device to keep prisoners powerless after capture. It also makes for a more dramatic escape scenario focussed on disabling the restraint device; if you succeed the captive's power immediately returns.

Actually, this isn't for a villain, it's for the headmaster at the Engelson Academy. His particular power is going to be expensive no matter how I build it, both because of what it does and because of the system. The Advantage to remove Adders is particularly expensive.

The method that I prefer is the Drain. Not only that it is less expensive (for a villain there is no such thing as "too expensive") but also that the Drain will more easily represent things like ability-sapping drugs that need to be tailored to some particular ability, a mentalist who can convince people that the ability is getting weaker, or most abilities that result on loss of ability. The purpose of the Suppress is something that makes little sense to me. Everything that can be done with Supress can be done more efficiently (and with lower cost) by using a Drain. Even power-dispelling restraints can be properly simulated with a Drain using the disad "ability returns when disabled" (-1/2).

The purpose of the Suppress is something that makes little sense to me.
The purpose is to put effort, Phase by Phase, into hindering someone else's power.

Everything that can be done with Supress can be done more efficiently (and with lower cost) by using a Drain.
Well, Suppress costs half as much as Drain, and is inherently Ranged, so I'd have to say it has some advantages.

6d6 Suppress: Telepathy, AoE: Radius, No Range, 0 END, Persistent: 60 Real Cost, 90 AP

vs.

3d6 Drain: Telepathy, AoE: Radius, 0 END, Persistent: 90 Real Cost, 90 AP

With the first construct, as soon as you leave the AoE, your Telepathy returns to full strength, whereas with the second, it takes a little longer. Of course, for the same number of AP, the first is twice as effective.