Recamended Reading

Ndreare

Man I am reading a series called the Belgariad...

I would definitly recamend every fantasy fan get a chance to read this. The usefull ness for insperation is out of this world. The magic system once they start getting in to it is done very well and much like the way I have been doing magic in my games for months.

Well just thought I would like to share that with you guys. (Anyone else read these?)

Re: Recamended Reading

Man I am reading a series called the Belgariad...

I would definitly recamend every fantasy fan get a chance to read this. The usefull ness for insperation is out of this world. The magic system once they start getting in to it is done very well and much like the way I have been doing magic in my games for months.

Well just thought I would like to share that with you guys. (Anyone else read these?)

I did enjoy that series, but a warning for you: there is a 2nd series that follows the events of the Belgariad, called the Malloreon (or something like that). It's story is VERY similar to the first series. At 5 book a series it (the second seried) got a bit repetetive.

The author (name escapes me) has another series called the Elenium, in a completely different world. I enjoyed that series a lot more then the Belgariad (personal opinion). And the series is only 3 books long so, it costs less... :D

Warning this last series also has a 3 book follow-up which shows a remarkable similarity to the first. :mad:

I remember those as a fun romp. Author: David Eddings (I think his wife joins him either later during the Mallorean or slightly after that)

You can get the 1st three books of the Belgariad in a compelation, ISBN: 0345456327 (The Belgariad, Volume 1: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit) for only 12 or so bucks, new.

You can get the 1st three books of the Belgariad in a compelation' date=' ISBN: 0345456327 (The Belgariad, Volume 1: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit) for only 12 or so bucks, new.[/quote']

Thanks for the number :) I'll check it out.

Drakkenkin

I read the Belgariad in high school (~20 years ago). I tried to read the Malloreon shortly afterward, but never made it through.

Some other bits of recommended reading:

* The Misplaced Legion and series by Harry Turtledove. A Roman legion and the Celtic army it is sent to battle are transported to another universe (built along Byzantine lines) with magic.

* The Ethshar novels by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Middle-High Fantasy, light in parts, somewhat gritty in parts. The Misenchanted Sword and With A Single Spell are both marvelous.

* Operation Chaos by Poul Anderson. Alternate Earth with magic. Begins around the time of World War II and ends in the mid-60's, approximately. The sequel, Operation Luna, is worth reading if you're a completist, but it's not an absolute necessity.

Took me a while to respond it looks like others have betin me to posting the isbn but at least you have it.

David Eddings also wrote a A,D & D book called "Return of The Arch Wizards" they are broken into "The Summoning", "The Siege" and "The Sorseror" they are also very good books. (Thats alot comming from me I do not normaly like AD&D books.)

As I read this book and look at the date of first printing I can't help but think there are a lot of things that I find in other fantasy books (especialy Wheel of Time) that seems like blatent rip off. but hey maybe that is just me.

The facts are the same in the end and that is that these are great books.

PS: As for the other books I will definitly look into those after I clear my list but rite now I am only on book three and have to read the "Davinci Code" after I finish book 5. So give me a couple of weeks and I will be able to comment on the others.

I'm currently rereading the Mallorean. Yeah Eddings can get repetitive, but he is the best in light fantasy for summer popcorn movie dialoge. I love his stuff for the interaction of characters. I also think he wrote the Elenemium because he liked Mandollaran so much he wanted a smarter version for the main character.

Other recomends

The tales of Bahzal Bahnakson by David Weber.

Oath of Swords

War Gods Own

and the upcoming Windriders Oath.

Very nice and very fun. The first two are aviable as free downloads from the Baen Free Libarary.

Seconded on the Misplaced Legion and its sequals. The Krispos books by the same author are set in the same world, about 500 years before the events of the legion books and are very nice as well.

A book I forgot to mention is the "Rift War Saga" these books are awesom the are broken into two books (with about a dozen spins) "Magition: Aprentice" and "Magition: Master"

Both very good in the lite reading.

Now for heavy reading get the "Sword of Truth" series starting with "Wizards First Rule".

Hrmmm...some more options:

The Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust (You can now get the first 7 books in Trade format, The Book of Jhereg, The book of Athyra, The book of Taltos). Mentioned by Steve Long in FH, and a fun, not to mention very different, type of hero.

The Hawk and Fisher series by Simon R. Green (Two compelation books, Guards of Haven and Swords of Haven and two novels, Blue moon rising and Beyond the Blue Moon. Not your traditional fare, but Hawk and Fisher are to me, awesome heroes. They are nigh unstoppable but they get run down and ambushed and tired out just like real people. Kinda neat that. ;)

I'm currently re-reading Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks for kicks and some creative juices enhancement. :)

Eddings can be enjoyable, but his protagonists can tend to repetition; they're all basically the same set of characters; all have a kind of sardonic sense of humor, etc. His earlier works, such as the Belgariad, are better than his later stuff.

Dave Duncan's "A Man Of His Word" is enjoyable light fantasy, with darker subtexts and a very interesting magic system. I believe this one consists of two three book stories [1]

David Farland (aka Dave Wolverton) is working on a series that also has a fascinating magic system. The first book is far superior to the others I've read. The magic system is based on the transfer of attributes; that is, someone can donate their strength; you become twice as strong, roughly, and they become weak. This one is presently three or four books long, and has been declining in quality; it introduces a number of interesting magical concepts, though.

[1] I won't call them trilogies, because they're really one story told across three books; whereas I tend to view a triology as three standalone stories that are nevertheless related. Yes, I am a nitpicker, why do you ask? :)