What about the warriors

Mr. R

Re: What about the warriors

Another option could be the development of followers and bases. Warriors and rogues can develop castles and guilds as a place to sink experience points - althought I suppose that mages could do the same.

This is such an underrated area of Fantasy Hero character development, in my opinion. I think this is a prime area of development for any good warrior type. Build a castle (base), hire some soldiers (followers). The GM should be able to RP the finding of said henchmen fairly well, and since the PC is spending points on them they should be relatively loyal. Come up with a couple of different levels of henchmen--one "second in command" guy and a bunch of "agent" types for regular soldiers.

How about a vehicle? A cool chariot, maybe, or a specially trained warhorse. Or even a war galley, if you're so inclined.

Granted, this idea was already mentioned on the thread, but I thought it bore repeating since I so rarely see it used, by warriors or anyone else.

There are plenty of cool things you could do with warrior abilities and base them on powers. I'm sure some of these have been brought up already, but how about stuff like this in a Sword Martial Art multipower:

--Hamstring - drain Running

--Crippling Blow - drain STR or DEX

--Whirlwind Attack - AoE HTH or AoE KA

--Missile Deflection

--Flurry of Blades - HTH or KA with Autofire

--Master Riposte - HTH or KA with Damage Shield

--Display of Skill - boost to Presence Attacks for intimidation

--Staple 'em - Entangle, only to pin to wall

This is such an underrated area of Fantasy Hero character development, in my opinion. I think this is a prime area of development for any good warrior type. Build a castle (base), hire some soldiers (followers). The GM should be able to RP the finding of said henchmen fairly well, and since the PC is spending points on them they should be relatively loyal. Come up with a couple of different levels of henchmen--one "second in command" guy and a bunch of "agent" types for regular soldiers.

How about a vehicle? A cool chariot, maybe, or a specially trained warhorse. Or even a war galley, if you're so inclined.

Granted, this idea was already mentioned on the thread, but I thought it bore repeating since I so rarely see it used, by warriors or anyone else.

I couldn't agree more...I think something people usually forget is that even characters in fantasy settings would rarely have it as a goal to spend their whole lives fighting, training and adventuring. Having lived as a traveller in foreign countries for a couple years in real life, I gotta tell ya it gets old real quick. It doesn't take long before your goals are to find a place to live and settle down so you don't have to deal with this crap anymore.

It seems to me that most adventurers would probably have 3 goals...1) gain experience, 2) make money/profit, 3) find a place to settle down so they can have a nice bed to sleep in and not have to worry about their next meal.

That said, I have to say that I am one of the only people I know whose characters tend to leave the campaign because they found a nice piece of land, a title, and got married. Not entirely in-genre for a genre that tends to run it's heroes to death, but it just makes sense to me.

Interestingly enough, if you check 1st Edition D&D you will find a "followers" rating on the characters because it was expected that as warriors advanced they'd pick up companions who wanted to tag along. Few people use it thought, because they don't want the work, and neither does the GM. (Hard to rationalize why a guy at the head of an army goes on a scouting mission...)

Rob

Hmmm, as an extra note...I just suddenly had visions of a "Shining Force" campaign....If anyone knows the game I am talking about....In it your goal was to recruit an army to face the bad guys, and you did it one soldier at a time....One of the coolest games ever!

Hell of a lot of work in an RPG though.

Rob

UltraRob has a good point. Why not buy followers? And build a base while you're at it. You can also buy fringe benefits like military rank or knighthood/noble title (if your campaign allows it).

Keep in mind that warriors should do more than fight. There are other skills they can take. Has your warrior become famous? Have him buy oratory to tell of his exploits and high society to hobnob with the nobility. It's not common in the western world, but in China, many martial artists were also doctors. Wong Fei Hung is a beloved character because he helped many people with his medical knowledge, especially after China was free from Manchu domination. Perhaps your warrior is weary of fighting and has decided to concentrate on healing people rather than hurting them.

Unless you already do this .. let Warriors and Rogues and other "non-magic user" types put points into any magical gear they carry .. while the the mage is off adding spells the warrior gets to make his Sword of Swift Combat (or whatever) a permanent part of his character.

I know most Fantasy camapaigns hand out equipment, inlcuding magic, without incurring a point cost mid game (Initial setup is different). So the Warrior can save up 30pts and buy that sword he's been using all along with points... Mages get Magic Spells, others get Magic Items

just a thought.

I don't think,I can say anything,which hasn't already been said,especiallly Killer Shrike.1.)Magic is a greater problem as you have to build a whole magic system2.)A good warrior is rather easy to build.Even if he has all the stats he need,all the Combat Skill Level available and some good Talents,that doesn't mean his development ends.There are still some amazing feats to learn,which can even lead to interesting quests.Perhaps there is an ancient Master of an even more ancient combat art on an unknown continent....blabla.....What kind of abilities you get,is up to GM,but UMA is a really good source for this.In my Shadow World Campaign,for example,I have a really good swashbuckler with Katanas and Martial Arts but his archfoe,who killed his father,is using an unknown and highly sophisticated form of martial arts and my PC knows,to keep up with him he has to find someone who can teach him more than just Combat Skill Level and some new Maneuver.3.)Roleplaying is not only Cmbat Abilities.There are skills to learn,which may be very important.(Languages,PS,KS,etc.).From my Rolemaster Days I can say,that Fighters after they reach a certain Level are not getting better and better in terms of fighting,but are developing broader and thus get more flexible.Same may be true for Hero.4.)This is Hero-System.Nothing stops a 500 Point Warrior from learning magical skills,rogue skills or anything else.