House Rule: Can defend after attacking?!?

Demonsong

Currently in my Fantasy Hero Campaign I let PC’s and NPC’s Dodge, Parry, or Block with there last half action if they attack in there first half action. As long as they state there intention to do so before they roll any attack dice. Now this has been going on for almost a year. And I really like the way it is working out. It really brings out a feel of actual swordsmen dueling. And it adds a depth in to the game that my players and I really like.

I think it also makes the lightly armored, high DEX fighter, thief, or swashbuckler actually a viable combatant. Where with out this slight modification to the rules, this type of fighter never could attack, only defend. Because if this type of fighter gets hit, even once, its can very well be the end.

Now as I said I use this in my fantasy Hero Campaign, with the average player having a speed of 3. I also do not allow armor to stack at all. The only reason I mention these thing is because I have never played this way in higher point’s campaigns. So this method may very well not work in higher point’s campaigns or in campaign with higher armor values. But for us it really seams to add character to the game.

Any one else do this or some thing similar?

What do you think?

Thanks

Demonsong

Re: House Rule: Can defend after attacking?!?

Do you make them abort their next phase for this action?

I don't see why lightly armored types would get some special advantage here. Everyone gets to take advantage of your house rule, right? So the heavy fighters get to block or dodge after their attack as well, plus they have more armor.

It seems to me that this would just make combat take longer, as everyone would be harder to hit. Am I missing something?

Character only need to loose there next action if aborting to a dive for cover or if they do not have a ½ action left to defend.

I guess my first response would be to ask if you ever watched fencing, or partaken in any kind of hand to hand or melee fighting? The parry, block, and dodge are corner stones of virtually every type of martial arts fighting (hand to hand or armed) in existence. So it make since to me as a GM to have these maneuvers available and used. To a trained fighter, defense is every bit as important as offence. You can’t win a fight if you’re dead. And as I said it really adds a feeling of the “Duelâ€. Not just two idiots standing there trading blows.

Yes it does lengthen combat a bit. But not very much. And it makes it a lot more intriguing and dynamic.

it sounds to me that you’re just making a knee jerk reaction with out testing it out?

Above and beyond every thing else. I can see no reason why a character should suddenly loose a ½ action because they made an attack. Where did this other half action go? Was it sucked up by the game fairy?

I wouldn't use it for Champions but it certainly sounds interesting. It's worth checking out. Since it's a house rule, keep using it.

I like the fencing example you gave. I took fencing and was #2 in my class. Out of 3 rounds this particular tournament lasted, mine lasted 7 because the 2 of us kept striking simultaneously so that no one could tell who struck who first. Alas, the 7th round was my downfall as I couldn't parry in time.

I see this rule actually shortening some combat .. one of the complaints I've always had about two martial artists fighting is unless both are SPD monsters the keep aborting their actions to defensive maneuvers and drawing combat out .. if you could leave a half action around just to do a block/parry action you could shorten such combat.

I do see it working very well in Heroic campaigns with low speeds or most everyone within the same SPD range (2-4) but in Superheroic I can see this rule breaking down quickly with SPD ranges going from 3-8.

If I ever get into a heroic campaign of any genre I'll suggest it and see how it works.

I guess my first response would be to ask if you ever watched fencing' date=' or partaken in any kind of hand to hand or melee fighting? The parry, block, and dodge are corner stones of virtually every type of martial arts fighting (hand to hand or armed) in existence. So it make since to me as a GM to have these maneuvers available and used. To a trained fighter, defense is every bit as important as offence. You can’t win a fight if you’re dead. And as I said it really adds a feeling of the “Duelâ€. Not just two idiots standing there trading blows. [/quote']

I tend to look at combat a little differently. All that bobbing and weaving, parrying and ducking, is why you have a DCV for opponents to strike against. You don't have to roll for it, but you could always add some of your HTH levels to it if you want to focus on defense that Phase.

The defense maneuvers, such as Block or Dodge are effectively attack maneuvers. Like any other, they would end your Phase, as you wouldn't normally get to attack after performing one. Though I'm likely to never use your house rule, I think it's somewhat cool (if unnecessary) but focused too much on defense. If you can perform two such maneuvers, you should be able to perform them in any order or more than one of each (thus allowing someone an "all out" attack where the attacker sacrifices his ability to defend to attack twice).

Then again, if you're gonna go that far, you might as well just double everyone's SPD and halve their Movement.