EC balance fix

Gary

Re: EC balance fix

I agree. So we only apply it as a GM discretion call. If the Power fits concept, such as Armor as part of the EC: Power Armor (duh. :D ) we allow it. Coversely, if a positive rule effect (drain one drain them all) which should work against EC: Power Armor, doesn't seem logical against a given SFX or concept, we rule it so.

My point in general is that I don't view any construct or rule in 5ER or any other version as fixed vs. broken or balanced vs. unbalanced. As far as I am concerned, every page in the Hero book should be considered "some assembly required".

Which makes sense, for a toolkit, well-said. I think, now that you phrase it that way, that's a lot of why even if I ran DOJ tomorrow, I wouldn't change so much as I muse about, not remotely close, I do EXPECT that THIS system will have that kind of an "issue" (and it's not an issue, or a bug, it's a feature!).

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My MOD? Most Often Described? I'm assuming you're speaking of Zl'f's construction, and her cross-Linked Powers? I should point out she's not actually built with an EC, although earlier version were.

In general the problem I have with Drain and their ilk in Hero is that they lack in-game definition. They should both have and attack specific special effects, not Powers. A STR Drain which paralyses human muscles should have zero effect on the hydraulic servos of powered armor, despite the fact that both are bought as STR. Whereas a STR Drain defined as draining energy (which is present in both human musculature and mechanical equipment) might well Drain both. This all has to be applied in a way that makes the sfx more important than the actual mechanics of the power construction.

So basically, you purchase a Drain for a Power AND an SFX, with modifiers for how broad or limited the SFX. And if you want more than one power, you just have a modifier for that. Is that kind of what you're thinking?

Agreed. While I think anything that's in an EC should generally be affected by a Drain' date=' I also think it should still depend in most cases on the sfx of both Drain and EC. (Very few instances of powered armor IMO would qualify as an EC, although a particular sfx such as "magnetism" might qualify.) Most powered armors are more than powerful enough with the OIF and MPs they typically employ. So if a guy has a magnetic-based EC in his PA, then Drains based on suppressing magnetism should be his nemesis, not "2d6 Drain Flight" or "4d6 Suppress STR."[/quote']

While I agree with virtually everything that has been said so far - I am firmly in the SFX based camp (and that goes for desolid as well as adjustment powers) - there might also be a case for saying that if draining a power in the EC does not make sense to drain all other powers then there should be a second or even third look at validity of the presence of that power in the EC in the first place.

In the case of the Turbine using Armour. Well if it doesn't make sense perhaps he shouldn't actually be using armour. It is possible better to be a force field with the SFX of armour encasing him - it would make more sense that the drain on the force field drained everything else, no?

Just playing devil's advocaet and thinking of ways to better regulate ECs when they are presented to me....

Doc