Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

My car is in the shop. I've owned it for about 4 years now, and it is 5 years old. Battery went out, and my front brake pads are down to 3mm. Throw in an oil change all for the pretty sum of $500. Ouch. Maybe going to the Nissan dealership to service my Altima isn't always a good idea...

I've found that dealerships actually have pretty competitive pricing to the "little guys" especially when you factor in speed and knowledge and parts availability. It isn't the rule for everything, but seems to work out well for scheduled maintenance stuff.

It's been over a decade since I had a car serviced at a dealership; I'm on my 2nd garage here. The first one closed after their landlord tripled their rent three years back. This second one is the one my wife used before we got married.

For years I stayed away from dealerships because I was always told "more expensive," "unnecessary repairs," etc. Then I bought a Saturn that had free maintenance, so I had 5 years of free service from the dealership. Always in and out fast with no complaints and outstanding service. I compared that to all the years of using the "local car guy" and decided the dealership was far superior in almost every regard. Once the free service ended, I suspected the dealer would revert to their "tricks," but nope. The dealer continued to give outstanding service and many times gave me discounts on service and all three of the Saturns that I've owned always ran great. I still have two of them. Obviously my next one will have to be a different manufacturer though.

Saturn explicitly had a different business model, but for cars bought new from a dealer, your experience could well be typical. Our Subaru is now 7 years old, bought new from the dealer, we still take it there for service (it helps we bought an "oil changes for life" promotional plan from them when we bought the car). The various old and used ones go to other shops.

The first Saturn I had was used. The second and third were new. Now that all the Saturn dealers are closed I've taken them to local Chevy dealers. Both the dealers have been the same with regard to service. I suspect that it may have something to do with the economy as well. And I think the "old school" dealerships that earned dealers the reputation they have now really went the way of the dodo. I think dealers have learned that treated the customer well earns repeat business and the concept of the "hard sell" just doesn't fly in the age of the Internet when your customer walks onto the lot already prepped and ready to put your knowledge, competence, and prices to the test.