Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Musing on Random Musings is conversational but you have no chance of catching that one.

Nor Answers and Questions.

Nor Catsuit. Not if I have anything to do with it......

I think there's a "chance", it'll just take a LONG time to overtake MoRM - which btw is also a real favorite of mine, still moreso than this one, which makes sense if you consider RM is as I just stated my favorite thread.

However, I'm always willing to lend a hand to a worthy enough cause. My only rule - just for me - is that I'm not going to deliberately post more in either place, I'm just going to see where it goes.

Actually, hey, Super Squirrel, if you see this, do you think you'll take some crap for allegedly setting up another pad-post thread? I don't think you should, but I imagine you will from someone at some point (even if indirectly as someone just slams this as "another pad thread").

On that whole point, of alleged padding threads, that attitude sometimes bugs me. Nearly all of those so alleged are also just a lot of fun. I really do enjoy seeing the twists and turns of WAG and Opposites. I really do enjoy the conversation in RoMR and the thoughts of RM. And often self-deprecating padding humor is just that, and nothing more, not some attempt just at padding because anyone is so amazingly proud of their post count. Of course sometimes there is purely blatant padding for the purpose of hitting a milestone or bypassing a friendly post-count rival, but the latter is just plain fun and the former, okay, kind of annoying, but there's a lot of fun for some (used to be for me) in the post count thing - it's just plain silly and frivolous. Personally I am hyper-competitive in 2-player/win-lose games, so much so in fact I mostly don't play competitive games, I get too upset by them if I lose. But a post count war? That's just plain silly, and it's a "competition" I can lose with good humor. There aren't enough things like that in life (in fact RPGing's major appeal to me is that it's gaming without winning or losing or (if played right) serious competition, essentially). Yeah, I know you can say "but you didn't lose, you won," but first and foremost I never expected to win, at least not necessarily, and I know myself well enough to know I never held myself to any standard. When D-Man and I were neck-and-neck, I just had fun with it. I was a little surprised to pass him actually. I was a bit surprised to pass Hermit but during that time he was posting less (and of course as now even less, sadly). I was really surprised to pass AgentX, and of course we all know it's only because he got busy with RL (I did send a follow-up note to him to see if he was coming back and still enjoying himself but haven't heard, sorry, no more news folks). The point is, this truly wasn't a competition to me, not in a real sense. And I do expect sometime here lemming will bypass me. If not, someone surely will. I have a number of personal projects that I want to really ramp up after this big project at work ends (yes, in a lull right now on it, but it may hit SUPER big-time next week), and at that point I'm going to have to force myself ot gear down here.

Am I boring everyone? I feel like I can't shut up, I have a lot of nervous energy - how come??? I haven't had an exceptional amount of caffeine. Maybe somebody spiked my lunch tea or water with amphetamines!

Or so you think. Besides' date=' it wouldn't take much to stop one of them dead. We weren't going to go so far as to declare war... but the point to this thread is to have general discussions and derailments AND bypass all other forums. So if you are going to be that way. It just might be time to call Bush the next Hitler in the Catsuit thread. ;)[/quote']

Why not just invite someone who would surely be morally offended in under some false pretense? :eg:

Fire !

(Oh come on ! You didn't really expect me to fight fair now, did you ?)

BIG LOL!

I was reading the thread along, you know, just seeing SS' countdown and then this. Struck me just right! Time for a little Tribble respect...

5.6.7.8.9.10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have some cosplay girls that are being kinda intimate with each other!

That was, uh, most effective. Perhaps a little erotic for here (seriously), or it perhaps had more effect on me than others.

Well, I do like folk music, and even bluegrass. Just not C&W, and I had a great deal of exposure to it while living in OK for 8 years, so I am indeed making an informed statement.

As far as my comment about "amateurs", I was more referring to the karaoke type stuff. I'm actually quite fond of a wide variety of music by people that aren't getting paid for it. There are some very good musicians that perform regularly at a number of SCA events that I frequent. :)

(shrug) I can't see how you could like folk and bluegrass and not enjoy, for example, at least a few C&W songs pre-Williams or even recently by people like Robbie Fulks (and anyway he did do a bluegrass album you might enjoy, don't know the title but I'm sure if you search his name and bluegrass you'll find it). I think Elvis Costello did a few great interpretations over his career, and more recently than Almost Blue if memory serves.

By the way, if you like white gospel music at all (actually, if you aren't terribly averse to it - I am not a fan generally of it myself), there's a wonderful tune on Hank Williams' singles collection that he did with a woman, I'd have to look up the name if you ever think you'd be interested (but if you don't like gospel, forget it).

Yeah, we're probably not so far apart on the latter paragraph bit other than I do tend to enjoy "sincere and emotional ineptness" I guess I'd say.

Now I am afraid I will have to start Randomly padding my posts here. I've gotten rather behind...

:saturn:

Now how strong do you have to be to throw saturn as a shuriken... :)

You should get that going as a thread in Champions or HERO Rules, I bet it would generate controversy.

(shrug) I can't see how you could like folk and bluegrass and not enjoy, for example, at least a few C&W songs pre-Williams or even recently by people like Robbie Fulks (and anyway he did do a bluegrass album you might enjoy, don't know the title but I'm sure if you search his name and bluegrass you'll find it). I think Elvis Costello did a few great interpretations over his career, and more recently than Almost Blue if memory serves.

By the way, if you like white gospel music at all (actually, if you aren't terribly averse to it - I am not a fan generally of it myself), there's a wonderful tune on Hank Williams' singles collection that he did with a woman, I'd have to look up the name if you ever think you'd be interested (but if you don't like gospel, forget it).

Yeah, we're probably not so far apart on the latter paragraph bit other than I do tend to enjoy "sincere and emotional ineptness" I guess I'd say.

Different stuff. And there is plenty of folk and bluegrass that I don't like, because it is too "countryish". And again, I'm glad that you like Hank Williams, but I'm not fond of his stuff at all. Nor do I have any interest at all in gospel music. Another type of music that sets my teeth on edge.

I am somewhat unfortunatly fairly picky about the music I enjoy. Off key music grates on my nerves. Which is different than music that takes advantage of the interesting play between notes that are almost but not quite in tune. Musicians that can't hold a beat are also annoying to me, but again I also like music that plays with the tempo and time signature.

In general though, I'm willing to give just about any music a try. It is just that I've already given C&W a LOT of tries, and it is consistantly something that I don't like.

Actually' date=' hey, Secret Squirrel, if you see this, do you think you'll take some crap for allegedly setting up another pad-post thread? I don't think you should, but I imagine you will from someone at some point (even if indirectly as someone just slams this as "another pad thread").[/quote']My real intentions behind this thread are simple. I want to have a really long, ongoing thread that I started. Just a bit of prestige, nothing else. And most threads derail anyway so why not make a topic that is meant to derail and keep going. Though I'd prefer for it to not be a post padder thread, if that is what it is for 20 to 25 pages, so be it. If you look at my first post, I asked what people felt of the Red Sox curse. I figured it was a topic that maybe get 10 to 20 posts and then maybe derail to Yankee bashing because the Yankee's SUCK right now. Plus, the Red Sox swept the Yankee's for the first time since their last World Series AND it was at Yankee Stadium. So it looks like it is going to be a damn good year for them.

What's wrong with "post padding" threads? What's the big deal? Let's face it, the post count really doesn't mean anything. Heck, all posts could be considered padding.

Personally, I'm here to have fun. If me having fun a couple of thousand times bothers someone, that's their problem, not mine.

I mean, come on, people! If something like that can get under your skin, there's some deeper issues there somewhere. If ya don't like a thread, just ignore it.

Climbs off the soapbox and puts on the flameproof bikini.

What's wrong with "post padding" threads? What's the big deal? Let's face it, the post count really doesn't mean anything. Heck, all posts could be considered padding.

Personally, I'm here to have fun. If me having fun a couple of thousand times bothers someone, that's their problem, not mine.

I mean, come on, people! If something like that can get under your skin, there's some deeper issues there somewhere. If ya don't like a thread, just ignore it.

Climbs off the soapbox and puts on the flameproof bikini.

Personally, I can honestly say that I've never make a post simply to up the number of posts that I have. All of the posts I've written I've done so because I had something to say that I thought and/or hoped that others here might find interesting/useful/humourous/etc.

Different stuff. And there is plenty of folk and bluegrass that I don't like, because it is too "countryish". And again, I'm glad that you like Hank Williams, but I'm not fond of his stuff at all. Nor do I have any interest at all in gospel music. Another type of music that sets my teeth on edge.

I am somewhat unfortunatly fairly picky about the music I enjoy. Off key music grates on my nerves. Which is different than music that takes advantage of the interesting play between notes that are almost but not quite in tune. Musicians that can't hold a beat are also annoying to me, but again I also like music that plays with the tempo and time signature.

In general though, I'm willing to give just about any music a try. It is just that I've already given C&W a LOT of tries, and it is consistantly something that I don't like.

Cool. Sorry if I came across as being pushy - just enthusiastic is al.

My real intentions behind this thread are simple. I want to have a really long' date=' ongoing thread that I started. Just a bit of prestige, nothing else. And most threads derail anyway so why not make a topic that is meant to derail and keep going. Though I'd prefer for it to not be a post padder thread, if that is what it is for 20 to 25 pages, so be it. If you look at my first post, I asked what people felt of the Red Sox curse. I figured it was a topic that maybe get 10 to 20 posts and then maybe derail to Yankee bashing because the Yankee's SUCK right now. Plus, the Red Sox swept the Yankee's for the first time since their last World Series AND it was at Yankee Stadium. So it looks like it is going to be a damn good year for them.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't asking as to the intent, just sort of a combo of a question rolled into advanced sympathy.

Personally' date=' I can honestly say that I've never make a post simply to up the number of posts that I have. All of the posts I've written I've done so because I had something to say that I thought and/or hoped that others here might find interesting/useful/humourous/etc.[/quote']

Exactly. So I like playin' WAG, A&Q or Opposites on occasion. Why's that a problem for some people? :confused:

Heck, even my "Hey, I've reached this milestone" posts have been done for laughs. :)

Cool. Sorry if I came across as being pushy - just enthusiastic is al.

Not at all. I just figured I hadn't done a very good job of explaining my end of things. Just because I know that I am in general very open minded about musical styles, and only give up on one after giving it a long hard try doesn't mean that anyone else has any way of knowing that. Unless of course I tell them. :)

Heck, in general I enjoy being exposed to new and interesting music. C&W just ain't it. :D

Though some of the other stuff you mentioned sounded kinda cool...

Exactly. So I like playin' WAG, A&Q or Opposites on occasion. Why's that a problem for some people? :confused:

Heck, even my "Hey, I've reached this milestone" posts have been done for laughs. :)

I always figured it was people that don't have enough problems of their own, so they have to go out looking for ones that don't exist. :D

No' date=' just click on the post count number to the right on the listing of threads and it tells you everyone who posted and how many posts each. Not to take away from Bazza's effort in advising us, that was cool.[/quote'] Thanks. Although the problem was that when copying and pasting the info into a text document the numbers where on a seperate line rather on the same line as the handle. So effort was required (but not much) to correct it.

I reckon it should be done, every 25 or 50 default pages (15 posts per page) just so to track progress.