How would you describe the "feel" of the Turakian Age?

vivsavage

What "type" of setting is the Turakian Age? It's described as high fantasy, but could anyone elaborate? Is it generic fantasy (such as a Greyhawk type of world)? Or does it have a more original feel and atmosphere (like Earthdawn or Dark Sun)? With Steve Long as the author, you know it's going to be a very well realized world at least! But I'd love to know more about it before plunging in and buying it.

Re: How would you describe the "feel" of the Turakian Age?

Ambrethel (as the world is called in the Turakian Age) is very much a High Fantasy world, with plenty of magic, lots of monsters, gods getting involved in mortal affairs (albeit indirectly), and so on. It's a High Fantasy in the typical fantasy rpg mode -- similar, in some ways, to Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms, but I think different in others.

I liked Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms - it's just too bad I didn't care for the D&D system. Just by looking at the online glossary of terms for the TA, I can see the depth and dedication put into making this book, so I'm sure I will enjoy it thoroughly! From reading the description of the Valdorian Age, it seems that it will be more of a Swords & Sorcery setting as opposed to the Turakian Age which you describe as High Fantasy; yet both are the same world in different ages. My question is this: (I understand if you're not willing to answer this) Is there some major change in the way magic works in this world that would be an important reason for a change in the subgenre? I understand that you would want to create different subgenres of fantasy for players with different preferences. However, the reason I ask is because in the Fantasy Hero book the High Fantasy subgenre is described as a setting in which magic is prevalent and pervasive. But the Swords & Sorcery subgenre is characterized with the element of magic being slow and difficult. Being such, that would lead me to deduce that something considerable happens over the course of time that would change the way magic works. Perhaps I'm thinking too much into it, but I am curious!

After a healthy skim through, I would say that the cultures presented in the different regions have some real world simularities combined in unique and fresh ways. Not your standard fare, but some familiarity to draw upon (I have yet to see someone execute a completly alien culture accurately yet, including myself...)

There is a Tolkein feel to the major villian, however there is so much in here unless you absolutely HAVE to stay cannon with the meta-plot of the Hero Universe, you could easily leave it or simply have another band of heroes eliminate him off screen and never deal with it. PILES of other fun stuff to deal with IMO (religions, cultural conflicts, racial conflicts, unique monsters, MAGIC..)

For 27 bucks this is a major steal for a campaign setting. It is well mapped, well written, and full of details. If you don't pick it up the big bad guy is going to assasinate you, re-animate you, and have you peel potatos for the rest of your immortal undead servitude. :rockon:

Such as?

I think Trechiron's post touches on a few points, but I'll add a couple more. To be fair, however, I should make it clear that I haven't read the 3E Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk materials very closely, so they may do a better job covering some of these issues than I think.

1. I think the setting does a pretty good job of setting up reasons for political conflict and the like that are fairly "realistic" (as opposed to being based on magic or superficial reasons), thus allowing for various types of adventure possibilities

2. I think the religions and religious structure is more detailed and flavorful than the typical "list o' gods" common to Fantasy rpg products. There are schisms, and unusual variations, and other richness that, again, provides lots of interesting opportunities for character interaction and adventure.

3. I think there's more emphasis on the "human element" as compared to the magical/adventurer-oriented elements, while at the same time not neglecting the latter (this is, after all, an adventure game!).

Hopefully many of you will agree with me. :hex:

(I have yet to see someone execute a completly alien culture accurately yet, including myself...)

One could argue that creating a "completely alien" culture is basically impossible, since anything created by humans is going to have the stamp of humanity upon it to some degree. If something was "completely alien," I doubt humans could conceive of it.

One could also argue that there are likely to be certain commonalities, even among species from different planets. Virtually all advanced civilizations would have to have the wheel (or some comparative technology for moving large amounts of stuff more easily than carrying it). Therefore coming up with a culture that's "alien" is never going to feel "completely alien," because there are certain lowest common denominators of civilization.

This would be a great topic for a convention seminar....

The closest to an "Alien" race/culture is probably the Tekumel/Empire of the Petal Throne cultures. They are largely human but have a very different mindset from the standard fantasy fare. Very interesting and very challenging but a bit too far out there for most gamers.