Help with detective/PI skills

BadTodd

I'm working on a character for a new game, and need some help coming up with some interesting and useful skills that fit the character background. (the GM has stressed that he wants ALOT of skills for the characters for this campaign).

Reader's digest version of the character background: Police officer, wounded in the line of duty by a "creature" (that turned out to be a lycanthrope). After recovering, found that stressful situations caused her to turn into a lycanthrope (were-tiger specifically). Unable to control the changes, she was forced to leave the police force. She wandered aimlessly for a few years before meeting with someone who specialized in occult matters, who offered to teach her to control her changes. After learning to control the change, she did several "favors" for the man and his friends to repay them. (favors were mostly along the lines of tracking down/rescuing missing people, etc). She eventually turned this work into a small PI business specializing in locating missing people and still does alot of work for the "occult/magic community".

Okay, so thats the short version of the background. Basically I'm looking for the kinds of interesting/useful skills that a person would accumulate from these experiences.

I've got the obvious ones (ks: criminal law, ks: occult, ks: lycanthropy, ps: private eye, etc), but could use some more ideas on skills a former police officer would have, some interesting occult/magic related knowledges.. and especially the types of skills that would be useful in finding missing people.

Anybody have some ideas for me?

Thanks in advance!

Todd

Re: Help with detective/PI skills

I'm working on a character for a new game, and need some help coming up with some interesting and useful skills that fit the character background. (the GM has stressed that he wants ALOT of skills for the characters for this campaign).

Okay, so thats the short version of the background. Basically I'm looking for the kinds of interesting/useful skills that a person would accumulate from these experiences.

I've got the obvious ones (ks: criminal law, ks: occult, ks: lycanthropy, ps: private eye, etc), but could use some more ideas on skills a former police officer would have, some interesting occult/magic related knowledges.. and especially the types of skills that would be useful in finding missing people.

Anybody have some ideas for me?

Todd

There are quite a few skills that should fit well with this type of character:

I'd suggested looking at the following.

Analyze--Specifically Analyze Magic. Though others might fit too.

Bugging--ideal for survelance

Bureaucratics--working for the public involves a ton of paperwork (isn't a very useful skill in most games though)

Combat Driving--good for high speed chases

Concealment--it lets you find hidden things as well as hide them yourself

Conversation--pump subjects for information

Crimnology--a given for a cop since it lets you read a crime scene

Deduction--another given

Disguise (along with acting)--can be useful if you want to go undercover

Forensic Medicine--a bit more iffy since this the the coroner skill, but a familiarity wouldn't be unreasonable

Interrogation--questioning the subject (though a good cop would only use the psychological half of this skill

City Knowledge--the city the game is set in

KS: "The Usual Supsects"

Paramedics--a useful skill for anyone to have

Persuasion--its useful to be able to convince people of things and tell believeable lies

SS: Psychology--at a low level this could represent the ability to read a subject and figure out motives

Security Systems (and lockpicking): good for detectives that don't mind bending the law a bit. Sometimes you really want to see what is in his office.

Shadowing--good for following a suspect

Stealth--good for observing without being observed

Streetwise--you know about the criminal underground. After all, you fight it on a daily basis

Survival--might come instinctively to a lycanthrope

Tracking--finding lost people

Weapon Familiarity: small arms

Hope it helps,

Michelle

KS: Police Procedures

KS: Missing Persons Procedures

KS: Kidnaping Modus Operandi

KS: Runaway Modus Operandi

SS: Psychology

Analyze: Crime Scene

Interrogation*

*assuming the GM allows this as "high-pressure conversation" and not necessarily physical torture

PS: Private Detective

Perk: Private Detective

KS: Animals

KS: Animal behavior

KS: Biology

KS: Botany

KS: Chemicals (business usage)

KS: Drugs (not same as above)

KS: World Geography (general knowledge)

KS: Rainforests (specific knowledge)

KS: anything else which gives specific info on a particular ecosystem

If a GM will allow you to use skills such as these by purposely adding pieces of information in a game session, you will find yourself with an incredibly knowledgable detective, ala Sherlock Holmes. Here's an actual example of KS usage:

GM: After scouring the room, the only thing you find is a leaf.

Player: My character examines the leaf. What kind of leaf is it? (makes the KS roll)

GM: The leaf is from the (whatever) tree.

Player: And where does this kind of tree grow?

GM: It grows only in Africa...

This is surely better than 'I made my Criminology roll. What do I learn?' or a different skill roll. Yes, having tons of KS or PS will cost a lot of points. However, the satisfaction of having your detective stand out from some other detective is immensely satisfying and rewarding. It also might get you some extra experience for excellent roleplaying.

Ohhh...good lists. Don't forget Well connected and 5 to 10 contacts thease can be people you've helped in the past and of course the classic "cop buddy" from the old days. Not only are they nice for obscure info like music history: classical music based on folk music, but their nice hooks for the GM....

In my Opinion Supreme, the must underestimated detective skill of all is...

Accounting. Seriously, all those other skills (except maybe Bureaucratics as S7Michelle mentioned) will not help you recognize when someone is clearly keeping a set of double books, and thus figure out where the money is really going, and what it is really buying.

Analyze--Specifically Analyze Magic. Though others might fit too.

SNIP

Tracking--finding lost people

If you are going to use the tracking-by-scent route, which you really should with a lycnthrope, then Analyze Scent would be a wonderful skill. Imagine, with one, good sniff you'd be able to deduce the age, gender, social status and possibly the emotional state of your quarry... not to mention the other clues, like trace amounts of evidence from where they've been.

You can also make her sense of smell targeting, for combat purposes. If you can analyze the scent of everyone (like Wolverine in the first X-Men movie) you can uncover your enemies quicker (like with Mystique).

Mags

Guest Worldmaker

You said the character was a former cop, right?

Area Knowledge: Area of Authority

Bureaucratics

Criminology

Deduction

Knowledge Skill: Criminal Law and Procedure 11 Or Less

Professional Skill: Police Officer 11 Or Less

Streetwise

Weapon Familiarity: Nightstick

Weapon Familiarity: Small Arms

Animal Handling (Police Dogs)

Breakfall

Combat Driving