OT: Bruce Timm Tutorials???

Dr. Rune

Hey all, I've been seeing some great artwork on here and especially like the pics of Winterhawk and Acroyear. Does anyone know of any good tutorials (besides the "Everquest: The Animated Adventures" site) that explain how to do "Timmesque" characters using Photoshop 5.0? I knew of one once, but can't find it now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Doc

Thanks for the compliment.

I have never heard of such a tutorial, but if you find it let me know. I just use templates I found on http://www.wuji-web.com/multiverse_index.html which was recommended by Acroyear. Darren's stuff is really mind blowing. I also purchased How to Draw DC Comics SuperHeroes. Not very good for the basics, but it is good for proportion and such.

I can tell you what I do (see attached example of "Solar-Flare").

1. Make a figure in Poser.

2. Export the "shot" to a .psd file.

3. Open the file in Photodeluxe (any other layered graphic design program will do)

4. Make several copies of the one layer.

5. Colorize each layer to the colors that I want in the costume.

6. Delete the bits I don't want and play around with putting one on top of the other.

7. Merge and export to a .jpg (attached example was converted to a gif, which is why its so grainy).

Actually, if you scour one of the Timm shrines on the net out there, someone has some of his design sheets when he was proposing Batman (because Timm doesn't actually DO the animation...) he listed a lot of his style principles in the margins for the artists to follow.

I just don't recall which site!

It's really not that hard.

I use mostly the line tool instead of actually drawing. A basic rule of thumb is that gloves will curve down (like a rainbow) and boots will curve up (like a bowl). A slight up curve to the belt helps a lot, too, in creating a sense of depth even in this cartoony style.