A Look at my Version of the CU

Mark Rand

Archeologists, historians and linguists are always making discoveries. Here's a look at some of the ones the heroes may have heard about.

In Southern Greece, evidence of the existance of Xena, Gabrielle and the Amazons has been found. Eveidence has also been found of a great battle between 200 Amazons and 2 Roman legions. All the Amazone were killed, as were half the Romans. It is believed that the Amazons kept the Romans occupied while other Amazons escaped into the world at large.

The remains of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere have been found near Gladstonbury Tor. Evidence of Camelot Castle, a post and beam structure, has been found on Cadbury Hill, near the River Cam. Buried under the castle were records of Arthur's battles. A partial list of his knights and spiritual allies were also found. According to the list, there were three female knights, Queen Guinevere, Queen Aleta of the Misty Isles, and Lady Rowanne (also spelled Rowenne), a soldier who became a knight. Among the spiritual allies were Vivianne, the Lady of the Lake, and Morgaine, her successor. Morgause was mentioned as a trator.

The remains of the nineteenth century Spanish town of Santa Helena was found in what was once Spanish California. After Colonel Luis Montoya was expelled for his crimes, the Spanish appointed Don Gaspar Hidalgo governer. His wife, Vera, proved to be much smarter then people thought. There was also a record of the vigilante known as the Queen of Swords. Once Gol. Montoya and his thugs left, she proved to be a protector, and not the bandit queen as Montoya made her out to be.

Next, we find out about modern times.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A Look at my Version of the CU

Now, modern times.

The Knights of Pendragon are one of the United Kingdom's most famous hero teams. The current group is businesswoman Francesca Lexley Grace, who prefers to be addressed as Grace, Astra TV's fearless and beloved reporter Kate McClellan and Joey Chapman, the current Union Jack. Joey's lover Lady Jacqueline Falsworth-Crichton, the now rejuvinated World War II heroine Spitfire often joins them. All members have armor that can be called into being and use high-tech speader bikes to travel from place to place. Grace always wears her armor in combat. Kate prefers street clothes (recently she has been seen in a black leather jumpsuit, gloves and combat boots that she bought before doing a five-part story on British motorcycle clubs), but occasionally wears scale mail with a black tabard, brown leather boots, gloves and sword belt, and a shield. (The shield and tabard bear Queen Guinevere's coat of arms). Joey wears his Union Jack costume or armor, Spitfire wears her old costume without its mask.

Jonathan Hayes, a widower with one college-age daughter, Jess, is the President of the United States. He's engaged to Kathryn Yarnell. Gloria Valdez is the Vice President. Evelyn Baker Long is the Chief Justice of the United States.

Lady's gloves went out of style in the early 1970s. Dressy ones came back into style in 1979 and by 1985 they were being worn with even the most casual clothes. Some fashion experts belive that women are imitating female metahumans. Also in 1979, stuntwoman and Wheel of Fortune hostess Susan Stafford started wearing evening gowns and long gloves after cutting her left arm open in a movie stunt that went wrong. (Due to letters from fans, saying that they loved the look, Susan, who is still on the show and looks as young as when she started, continues to wear them.)

The Santa Barbara, California based Nelson Institute of Marine Research, founded in 1961 by the late Admiral Harriman Nelson and now run by Admiral Lee Crane and Vice Admiral Chip Morton, is one of the world's best-known oceanographic institutes and has been the home for all three versions of the submarine Seaview. The current one was launched in 2002 and is commanded by Captain Robert Morton. Lee's son, Commander David Crane, is his executive officer.

Down the coast, in La Jolla, California, the Scripps Institution of Oceanography is home to the Seabat, an experimental research submarine with a cold fusion reactor and a transparent nose.

Until an attack on our world by Anubis, the existance of Stargate Command, which is located near the campaign city, has been kept a secret. When he made the existance of Stargate Command known to the public, he also closed down the National Intelligence Department, claiming that it was no longer needed.

Dr. Elizabeth Weir is now the head of Stargate Command. Its former head, Major General George Hammond, now commands the world's only space battleship, the Prometheus, an X-303 spaceship and its X-302 fighters.

Currently, the United Nations is debating what, if anything, to do about Stargate Command.

More to follow. Comments on what has been presented so far are invited.

Guest Major Tom

Wouldn't it be an absolute hoot if one of the employees of the Nelson Institute

just happened to be a somewhat younger Nathan Bridger?

Major Tom :winkgrin:

Secret Service Agent Alex McGregor heads the detail protecting the President, his family and other VIPs. Her husband, corporate adventure company owner and former wilderness guide Grant Coleman sometimes assists her.

Alex doesn't mind superhero teams assisting her, if they are invited to do so, have a federal liaison and are willing to place themselves under her orders. The Champions, The Justice Squadron and The Sentinels are among the ones she's worked with.

More to follow, including, somewhere down the line, supernatural stuff.

Guest Major Tom

One thing that would happen if SG command was outed would be the demand by some groups for colonization rights on a few of the empty worlds they've found.

That was exactly what wound up happening in the Stargate series of novels

(the stories of which take place in the movie canon history, rather than that of the

series) after Hathor destroyed Abydos, and Dr. Jackson wound up trying to help

the survivors find a new world to call home.

Major Tom :cool:

Guest Major Tom

Secret Service Agent Alex McGregor heads the detail protecting the President, his family and other VIPs. Her husband, corporate adventure company owner and former wilderness guide Grant Coleman sometimes assists her.

Alex doesn't mind superhero teams assisting her, if they are invited to do so, have a federal liaison and are willing to place themselves under her orders. The Champions, The Justice Squadron and The Sentinels are among the ones she's worked with.

More to follow, including, somewhere down the line, supernatural stuff.

Supernatural stuff, eh? Does this mean we're going to see the likes of Karl Kolchak,

William Sebastian and Dr. "Ham" Hamilton somewhere along the line here -- not to

mention a certain pair of oft-frustrated F.B.I. Special Agents?

Supernatural stuff, eh? Does this mean we're going to see the likes of Karl Kolchak,

William Sebastian and Dr. "Ham" Hamilton somewhere along the line here -- not to

mention a certain pair of oft-frustrated F.B.I. Special Agents?

No, but I might cast Gillian Anderson as an FBI agent that can morph into a cougar, with human intelligence and ego.

I assume the panther writeup in the Hero System Bestiary is the right one for a cougar.

Major Samantha Carter, USAF, PhD in astrophysics, who, due to Colonel Jack O'Neill's incapitation, is in command of Stargate Command's SG-1 team, is still Jolinar's host.

Nevada's Perfection Valley is the residence of about 50-people and a sterile graboid known as El Blanco. The valley floor is coated with Mix Master, a chemical that six months ago escaped from a secret government lab that was built in the 1940s and can mix non-human DNA with ease.

An earthquake dropped the city of Sunnydale, California into a sinkhole. A Starbucks Coffee fan labled, on his website, the Sunnydale Starbucks as "The one that got away".

Many mages have a fastness, or mystic refuge. Some start out that way, while others start out as normal dwellings, then have spells cast on them. Some also serve as the headquarters for a superhero team that includes the mage.

The Trismegistus Council is one of the oldest organizations of white mages in the world. Many mages that are associated with superhero teams are associated with it.

More to come.

Guest Major Tom

Just out of curiousity, does the East Coast community of Collinsport exist in

your version of the CU?

Major Tom :confused:

P.S.: Am I correct in assuming that you know where two of the characters I

had mentioned in the previous post came from?

Just out of curiousity, does the East Coast community of Collinsport exist in

your version of the CU?

Major Tom :confused:

P.S.: Am I correct in assuming that you know where two of the characters I

had mentioned in the previous post came from?

Was Collinsport the city Dark Shadows was set in?

Karl Kolchak was a reporter in The Night Stalker. William Sebastian and Dr. "Ham" Hamilton were in a failed pilot and occult mystery movie produced by the late Gene Roddenbury. The two FBI agents you mentioned might be Mulder and Scully.

It might be interesting to have these people show up and get involved with the heroes. Thanks for the idea.

Guest Major Tom

Was Collinsport the city Dark Shadows was set in?

Karl Kolchak was a reporter in The Night Stalker. William Sebastian and Dr. "Ham" Hamilton were in a failed pilot and occult mystery movie produced by the late Gene Roddenbury. The two FBI agents you mentioned might be Mulder and Scully.

It might be interesting to have these people show up and get involved with the heroes. Thanks for the idea.

Yep, Collinsport was the town in Dark Shadows, Roddenbery's sole foray

into the Mystic World was Spectre (considering some of the subject matter

that was in the movie, it's easy to see why it couldn't have been on U.S. TV

back in the '70s; with some of the new cable/satellite and TV networks that

there are now, Spectre probably could be a more-or-less regular show).

Mulder and Scully are indeed the Feds I was referring to earlier; I suspect that,

in a world where superhuman beings are a fact of everyday life, Scully's innate

skepticism wouldn't last very long.

BTW, is the F.B.I. anthromorph you mentioned earlier your version of Manimal?

FOLLOW-UP: With regards to Sebastian and Hamilton, you'll probably have to

have the PCs meet their descendants, as both men would most likely be in no

shape to participate in the rough-and-tumble that seems to be a part of most

adventure stories these days (mostly due to the fact that both men are either

in their 60s or 70s, or dead).

BTW' date=' is the F.B.I. anthromorph you mentioned earlier your version of [i']Manimal[/i]?

No, her ability to change into a cougar is the result of a curse. Without the magical choker she wears (an IIF) she shifts when she's enraged and the animal part of her is in control.

Slayers, Hellmouths and such are up next.

Guest Major Tom

OK, you seem to have pretty much covered the US as it exists in your version

of the CU, but what about the rest of the world? For example, do John Steed

and Emma Peel (or whoever his female partner happens to be) exist in your

world? And what about TV/movie organizations like UNIT or the Unicorn Org-

anization -- do any of these exist at all?

There was another agency that I was trying to think of as well -- the one from

the TV series SEARCH (I think it was called PROBE, but I'm not sure).

And while I'm thinking about it, how about man-made (yet intelligent) heroes --

to be specific, HAVEN and Questor. Is there a chance that either or both of

these "synthetics" (to use the term from Aliens) might put in an appear-

ance in your campaign?

Well, those are enough questions for right now.