Doctor Octopus?

Bengal

It's been a few months since I've posted anything since I got involved in another RPG for a while (I won't say it's name, but it's initials are AD&D). Since Doctor Octopus (ranked #2 in my list of villains with bad haircuts, right behind Hitler) is busting up onto the big screen with Spidey this summer, I took a crack at designing him on 350 points with a 75-point power cap.

I was stumped!

I know his powers won't be as strong as his "real" powers (but it's all imaginary stories, isn't it?) are, but what say I solicit some ideas as to how to build his arms? Stretching, extra chars and armor on the arms only? An automaton? a vehicle, even? At some points in the past, Doc Ock has mentally controlled his arms at a distance of 900 miles (although that might have been written out of continuity in the last 20 years), making me think they are an automaton. But what say you all?

ta

Re: Doctor Octopus?

Looking through the Marvel Handbook, building the powers is the easy part, all the stats are there. However, the hard part is that the arms have a volition of their own.

Follower and Automaton are possibilities, but then you have to deal with how to represent them joining together into one "unit".

Duplication is also a possibility, with the arms as a 50% Altered Duplicate, and Ock's powers bought -1/4, Not while Duplicated , but that lacks a mechanism for the arms to take over when Ock is KO'd.

Since the arms are capable of acting either at Doc Ock's command or independantly, without conscious direction, I'd say that a vehicle with an AI might be the simplest way to go. This gives the arms all the powers, but allows Ock to "drive" them. The AI can take over when Ock is unconscious or when they are separated. It would have to be an AI (with a Psch. Lim. "Fanatically Loyal to Dr. Octopus") and not just a computer, as both the Arms and Doc Ock would need a Mind Link (only each other). Give Doc Ock and the "vehicle" the same DEX and SPD, give Ock Combat Driving: Metal Arms, and build the arms with all the powers.

It seems weird, but I can't think of a simpler way to represent the arms having "a mind of their own" and granting powers to the user.

:)

Looking through the Marvel Handbook, building the powers is the easy part, all the stats are there. However, the hard part is that the arms having a volition of their own.

Follower and Automaton are possibilities, but then you have to deal with how to represent them joining together into one "unit".

Duplication is also a possibility, with the arms as a 50% Altered Duplicate, and Ock's powers bought -1/4, Not while Duplicated , but that lacks a mechanism for the arms to take over when Ock is KO'd. Same goes for Multiform.

Since the arms are capable of acting either at Doc Ock's command or independantly, without conscious direction, I'd say that a vehicle with an AI might be the simplest way to go. This gives the arms all the powers, but allows Ock to "drive" them. The AI can take over when Ock is unconscious or when they are separated. It would have to be an AI (with a Psch. Lim. "Fanatically Loyal to Dr. Octopus") and not just a computer, as both the Arms and Doc Ock would need a Mind Link (only each other). Give Doc Ock and the "vehicle" the same DEX and SPD, give Ock Combat Driving: Metal Arms, and build the arms with all the powers.

It seems weird, but I can't think of a simpler way to represent the arms having "a mind of their own" and granting powers to the user.

:)

Vehicle is the way to go. Give the vehicle extra limbs, running, cling, stretching, superhuman strength and a naked advantage autofire or something like that.

Not in the USPD -- they're in G&G' date=' pages 65-66. As usual, they're given several options, so you can pick the one that best fits your character. :hex:[/quote']

D'Oh! That's what I meant ... *slaps forehead* But thanks Steve for pointing that out

There's also that 9-headed hydra angle in FRED under duplication' date=' that might work too.[/quote']

I've been curious ever since I read that in the sidebar...how exactly does this work? I mean, do the dupes use a physical limitation "attached to original" or...what? Are they inherent, or always on? Is there an altered dupes charge?

Been thinking about how to do the multiple attack thing with the arms. Autofire is one (easy) way to go, but they're kind of more chaotic than that. So...

Given, what, 40 STR? is bought for the arms:

2D6 HA (10D6 total); 14- Activation

+2D6 HA (12D6 total); 11- Activation

+2D6 HA (14D6 total); 8- Activation

Roll once to hit, then roll once to see how many times you've hit.