Jump jets and jetpacks

Boll Weevil

Hello Heroites,

Well, I think the Herodome Assembled consensus from my "Really Visible Power Effects" question is that indeed I cannot expect to get a significant cost savings Limitation for powers that are more visible than normal. That's OK. I have more...

I've been thinking about Flight with jetpacks, jump jets or other propulsion systems vs inherent flying. Let's say I have a jetpack built into my powered armor suite. Without going into the implications of being stunned or knocked out while flying, some modes of flight are more dangerous than others. OK, I'm flying around the battlefield, jetpack a-blazing. I am hit with a good sized blast and knocked back a few inches. While I am shaking off the attack it is likely my jet-stream is now pointing in a direction I did not intend. How about a small Limitation allowing for a disorienting blast to send me careening into a wall or, god-forbid, straight down into the ground?

Lessee...

Well if we go the side effect route (which seems logical at the moment), a flying character risking knockback from damage is a pretty common occurrance . However, even if you're knocked back, you're still in practical control of your flight, because unless you've put a turn mode on your flight, you can orient yourself in the proper direction on your next phase and fly wherever you want. So, perhaps a more accurate circumstance would be Side Effect, when Knocked Back AND Stunned, with the side effect being uncontrolled flight until the character recovers from the Stunning effect. This is probably a rare enough occurrance not to really be worth even a 1/4 limitation. Besides, whenever I smack a flying opponent, I try to knock 'em into the ground for that extra damage (and satisfying "splat" sound).

So, instead of rolling lots of dice to determine in what direction Jet-Pack-Boy goes the phase after he's knocked back, let's make it simpler. We'll call it a -1/4 Limitation and say that Jet-Pack-Boy suffers 3d6 NND whenever he suffers Knockback damage while flying. It's a 30 AP side effect which starts at -1/2, but because it occurs whenever a specific circumstance occurrs, we'll reduce the lim by 1/4. This represents the character being yanked all around while he's reeling from the knockback.

If you REALLY want to hurt yourself badly (and who doesn't) you can kick the side effect up to a 6d6 NND whenever knockback is suffered and enjoy a whopping -3/4 Limitation. Something like this will probably make the character last in combat until the first time he suffers knockback. But then again, you are getting a -3/4 Limitation.

I wouldn't do it in my campaign... Sounds like plain ol' knockback to me really.

The player would have to take a limitation on manuverability (Isn't there one that makes it harder to manuver? I can't recall and I am w/o book right this moment).

Character would get hit, take knockback (I believe there's a subtraction of dice for being in flight when you get hit), would fly in the new direction, then he'd have to modify his movement according to his ability to manuver next action phase; If there's nothing in the way then there's no problem. If there is something, then obviously this could hurt.

You could make it really hurt by taking a mod for going full distance only :) That way he'd always be having steering problems when in this situation. I envision a villain making some tactics related roll to figure out when to hit you while he's holding his action, then letting loose and knocking you off course, your jets continuing to drive you into the new target. Heh.

Originally posted by Supreme

Unless the side-effect was to pump all flight into knockback. Taking that much knockback, especially when flying, could really hurt.:D

Yup, that would smart! Good approach.

Makes me wonder... if you were going full blast and not in combat, cutting a swath across the city, and some sniper tagged you good, suppose with this disadvantage you would wind up flying at non-combat speed in the altered direction? Or by definition does it stop being "non-combat" the second you are attacked?

Just thinking out loud...