Campaign: The Turakian Age

James Gillen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Campaign: The Turakian Age

While I really admire the effort you put into reporting the campaign here in a novel-like style' date=' I believe at least for me it would be more useful if you summed it up a bit- I simply don't have the time to read a full-scale book...[/quote']

Please Disregard the previous Post,

Some of us are hanging by our nails waiting for the next installment.

Some people just cannot help but come up with something negative to say... (i.e. Dr. Temp) Bah!

Sorry about the lack of updates, Lo'ma'ndra is ready to go this Thursday... hopefully if Valdergast is over his strepped throat, the game will take place. I do hope it does, as I want to see where this goes as well! :)

Just to update- there was no game this week.

In case anyone's still keeping up...

JG

You might just say that some of us are keeping up. Vicarious gaming. You may have just started a new trend. :thumbup:

(Although, it was fun reading the notes from Stu's campaign that used to be at the Secrets of the Kargatane website. For a D&D-based site, they had a lot of cool stuff. Too bad they closed the doors. This is better, as it is updated in "real time.")

Lo'ma'ndra is ready to go this Thursday... hopefully if Valdergast is over his strepped throat' date=' the game will take place. I do hope it does, as I want to see where this goes as well! :)[/quote']

Tell Valdergast's player to take care of himself, strep throat can be nasty.

I'd love to read more from this campaign, but staying/getting healthy takes priority.

Since my position is obviously a real minority positon' date=' please ignore it. :.)[/quote']

Well, I can understand it, given that I delay the posts a lot cause they can also take a lot of time to write.

But I think the results work better than "Lo'ma'ndra swore revenge on Skarill, she meets these other guys, they get into combats, they agree to go kill Skarill, they get into a few little combats, then they find Skarill and get into this bigger combat where he dies." :D

Also, as has been pointed out, these are campaign reports in "real time" including some of the better quotes in-character, so I don't know what my players are going to do til they actually do it. Sometimes that takes exposition to narrate.

JG

Do we know yet if we are playing this Thursday (sept9th) oh great one??

This depends entirely on whether Jason is available. That'll determine whether Don is available.

Matt, if you have Jason's number, you may want to give him a call and give him the address.

JG

Session Thirteen

9/9/04

After struggling through bad weather and idiotic traffic to get my paycheck and get Gary from his BFE neighborhood, I got home to get Dustin and take everybody over to Matt’s. When I eventually got hold of Jason, he said he didn’t have enough gas to drive over to Matt’s. I could’ve lent him the dough, but that would require driving 10 MORE miles out of the way when I was already behind schedule…

So we were all a little bugged about that. I wasn’t going to hold the game three weeks in a row. This required improvisation…

Session Thirteen

“How Trogdor Got His Groove Onâ€

After the unexpected ending to the battle in Skarill’s fortress, the Grey Rangers came down from the mountain with little trouble, the surviving Orcs retreating from them in awe, when Valdergast gave them the time to do so.

The group reached the site on the lake where they kept their animals. Lo’ma’ndra looked back on the caved-in mountain peak, then looked at her comrades. “That was quite an afternoon’s work. Better than I expected.â€

“You mean we lived,†Tanaka said. “It was luck.â€

“Where to now…?†Valdergast asked.

“I think back to Greyspan for now,†Rogar suggested.

“That reminds me,†Lo’ma’ndra said. “We need to have a headquarters…â€

“Headquarters?†Tanaka said.

â€A base to store additional treasure and investments. We can also use some of this treasure for our group expenses,†the priestess said.

Tanaka scoffed, “We only let our old and decrepit stay in the same place, so that we know where they are.â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “Well, it’s not like they’re chasing you.â€

“We chase them.â€

In the next few days, the group returned to Greyspan and Lo’ma’ndra made her reports to her superiors in the Church. She also reminded Valdergast to look over the written materials on Gardvord’s desk to glean clues as to what he and Skarill were planning.

In town, Rogar and Valdergast counted the treasure from the magic bag and estimated its worth at about 5000 Silver. There was also the matter of the bag itself, the Red Sword, the crystal ball, the potion and the belt. Valdergast said he would need time to analyze them.

Two days after returning to lodgings in Greyspan, Valdergast called the others together. They met in another one of his favorite inns and rented a room to talk in private.

The mage said, “As for the magic items, we know what the crystal ball does. And the sword, basically. The belt provides an effect like the Wizard’s Shield, and the potion provides a Giant’s strength. The bag, in terms of math, is about 3 cubic foot area, but appears to be one. That also means what’s in it weighs a fraction as much.â€

“It’d be best if I took the bag as part of my share. Trogdor has already claimed the sword,†Lo’ma’ndra said.

“I don’t really need these weird magic things,†Tanaka said. “If that means losing the rest of my treasure share, I’d rather have the coin.â€

“Let’s just wait on the rest of it,†Rogar said.

Valdergast said, “There’s something else.†He took out some of the handwritten letters from the Troll Enchanter’s desk. He looked at Lo’ma’ndra and said, “These were written in Khirkovian. From what I can tell, it’s the same handwriting as the Khirkovian who wrote letters to that death priest in your home village.â€

Lo’ma’ndra glared. “What do they say?â€

Valdergast said, “I translated. Basically, the main one tells the Troll that the army, which I guess is Skarill’s army, is supposed to have its supply depot in Cloverfield.†The group had been there for the Harvest Festival just months ago. “The letter also reminds Gardvord that Skarill is supposed to make sure that Vestria doesn’t know what’s going on. The quote is: ‘They must not be allowed to know WHO our real target is- they must be distracted so their army cannot interfere.’â€

“A plot against the King, maybe?†Rogar said.

“I still have my contacts with Duke Jabel. I can have him notified,†Valdergast said.

Trogdor broke in and said, “Don’t forget. There could be spies.â€

Lo’ma’ndra nodded. “Yes. Especially where nobles are involved. It’s not that we actually know most of them.â€

Tanaka said, “Why do we care?â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “We are Vestrian! Well, I am Vestrian. Not by birth.â€

“I was going to say,†Tanaka said to the Elf.

Lo’ma’ndra told him, “But of course I took most of my training with the Druid in Thelham, and I grew to care about the Men who live here. I have some loyalty to this kingdom.â€

“So we are going to take this on ourselves?†Tanaka said.

“Yes,†Trogdor said. “We should go out and kill more.â€

Tanaka shook his head. “There seems to be little profit in this.â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “There was much profit in the last adventure.â€

“And all it took was charging against a family of Frost Giants and their guard.â€

“We won,†the Elf said.

Tanaka sat back in his chair. “Maybe an opportunity will arise.â€

-

It was then agreed that the group would go back to Cloverfield to see exactly what Skarill’s forces had done to the area. This was a journey of about 350 miles. About ten days into the ride the five adventurers went into forest. There was a reasonably clear path before them.

Suddenly, with no apparent purpose, a stranger appeared. He seemed to be a demented old man, with deathly pale skin, wild hair and beard coated mossy green. The last thing Valdergast noticed about him was that his coat was on backward.

The old man held up his hand in front of Valdergast and the mage’s horse panicked. It ran off at top speed through the wood, Valdergast straining to keep on. Rogar immediately took charge of his mount and went running after the wizard.

It was all Trogdor could do to control his own horse, walking it in circles. Lo’ma’ndra was about to be thrown off her horse, but then Tanaka came alongside on his mare and firmly gripped the reins of Lo’ma’ndra’s mount, guiding his own with his legs. He touched the priestess’ mount and whispered something. “There.â€

“Where did Rogar go?†Lo’ma’ndra asked.

Tanaka said, “After the mage. He was chased off by this stranger.†Tanaka let go the reins and reached for his bow, already strung. Putting an arrow to the sight he looked down.

It seemed that the whole landscape had changed. It was a thicker growth and from what little sunlight could be seen in the woods, the sun was in a different part of the sky. Presumably west, but it was now impossible to tell which way was north. And the old man was nowhere to be found.

Except for two boot tracks in the mud, which revealed that each boot was worn on the wrong foot.

“What’s going on?†Trogdor muttered.

“We need to find the others,†Lo’ma’ndra said.

Tanaka said, “There was magic involved. I don’t think we can find them by tracking.â€

[Matt: ‘Otherwise the GM will be forced to come up with an even more ham-fisted method to split the party.’]

Trogdor was nevertheless looking over the ground. “I think I found something.â€

“Not horses?†Lo’ma’ndra asked.

The Drakine said, “It’s either a really small Man or a really big rabbit.â€

“Ah.â€

Lo’ma’ndra joined Trogdor and continued following the trail he’d found. It was indeed a humanoid, but small even in comparison to her. What would a child be doing in such woods?

In a short time, the trail led to treacherous ground, apparently some kind of pit trap. As the Elf and Drakine looked carefully, they realized that the ground in front of them was actually a very elaborate and well-constructed canopy of leaves, branches and other growth, tied together with a very thick wrapping in several places. And Lo’ma’ndra realized the wrapping was spider’s web.

Tanaka caught up to them and saw what the trap was. “Not good,†he said.

Trogdor said, “It’s rather big.†About thirty feet across, maybe.

Lo’ma’ndra said, “Can you use that sword to cut the webbing?â€

“Good idea,†Trogdor said. He drew the Red Sword from a scabbard he bought back in Greyspan. He reached out with his mind. The Sword’s voice did not reach back. But Trogdor focused on the blade, and its edge began to heat. He applied it to some of the webbing, which fell away like a layer of ice.

Trogdor cut a hole through the branches and webbing and looked inside the pit, using the Sword like a torch. He saw an Orcish corpse fixed to the pit wall with webbing, apparently bitten in several places. And he heard a high-pitched voice call out, “HELP!â€

The Drakine’s eyes widened. He looked to Lo’ma’ndra. She nodded and prepared her spells for combat, motioning Trogdor to move in. He did. Lo’ma’ndra followed and Tanaka backed her up, drawing his curved blade.

From what little could be seen the pit was also thirty feet deep, and it was littered in various places with the cocoons of webbed and drained victims. All the ones the group could see were Orcs wearing the colors of Skarill’s force. The voice was from a webbed victim at the very bottom- from what Lo’ma’ndra could tell, the man wasn’t any more than three feet in height.

They were all alert for attack, because there seemed to be no opening the monster could use to enter the pit other than what they’d made. But the shadows under the canopy of plants began to shift and Trogdor realized a second too late where the monstrous spider was hiding: Above him.

The arachnid pounced, snapping its mandibles and piercing Trogdor’s unarmored forearm. Drakine blood flowed as Trogdor realized that his pain was too intense to be from the wound alone. He lashed out with the Red Sword, cutting the spider but not driving it off. He drew another blade and wounded it again. Tanaka came in and drew a minor wound with his sword. The spider bit the Drakine again, reaching Trogdor’s chest and piercing the mail. Lo’ma’ndra attacked the monster and damaged it further.

The spider then jumped off of Trogdor and made a lateral move on the pit wall, firing strands from its body and enveloping Tanaka in a thick network of webs. It was impossible for the barbarian to move.

Trogdor moved up with both swords and slashed the horrid creature, even as he felt the pain increase. Both of the warrior’s strikes were true, and he carved large chunks out of the thing’s body. Lo’ma’ndra followed up with her thorned staff, hitting with both ends and crushing in the giant vermin’s head.

“Cut open Tanaka’s web, Trogdor,†Lo’ma’ndra said. “I need to pulp this thing.â€

Trogdor rescued Tanaka. The horseman looked at Trogdor and said to Lo’ma’ndra, “He’s been bitten.â€

Lo’ma’ndra looked at them, then back at the short man in the pit. “I’ll get him,†Tanaka said.

Trogdor propped himself against the pit wall while Lo’ma’ndra checked his wounds. “I don’t have spells against poison, Trogdor,†she said.

“What do you have?â€

“I know of some healing compounds that can be used to treat insect bites. I don’t think they’ll reverse the poisoning… but they’ll keep you alive.â€

Meanwhile, Tanaka took his blade and went down to saw through the little man’s bonds. The stranger, a broad-faced fellow with blue eyes and short blond hair, looked at him. “Is he dead?â€

“The bug is dead,†Tanaka told him. He managed to get the man free. His clothing, a rich purple shirt with fine vest and pants with short boots, was suitable for a fairly prosperous merchant, or would have been in better circumstances.

“What would you be, stranger?†Tanaka asked.

“My name is Nyx. As for what I am—I’m short.â€

Tanaka looked around. “Let’s see if we can get any spare change off these Orcs.â€

“As you wish,†Lo’ma’ndra said. “I stopped the progress of the venom, but Trogdor may still be a bit weak. We should get out.â€

When they climbed out, they looked around. The strange effect they noticed earlier hadn’t changed further. It was still the same time of day, whatever it was.

Lo’ma’ndra looked at Nyx. “I should introduce myself. I am the Druid Lo’ma’ndra. He is Tanaka, and this is my bodyguard, Trogdor of the Drakine.â€

The stranger bowed slightly. “I am most honored, my lady. And grateful to you all.â€

Lo’ma’ndra looked at him further. “It’s obvious you haven’t eaten in days.â€

“Oh,†Nyx said. “I was hoping someone would notice. I figured as much, but it was a bit hard to tell. I was trying to tell time by how many times that thing needed to drain other bodies…â€

“Spare meat,†Tanaka muttered.

Lo’ma’ndra let the short man share her provisions. “How did you get here?â€

Nyx said, “I sometimes travel. I’ve worked as a merchant, and a courier. I just like to go to new places and learn about the people there. I was in Cloverfield until the greenskins started invading Colgrave. Now I think there’s a group of them there to stay.â€

“Yes,†Lo’ma’ndra said. “We have come to find out what’s happened to that town. We had heard that the monsters were setting up a supply base.â€

“It wouldn’t surprise me,†Nyx said. “Who do you represent anyway?â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “We are the Greyspan Rangers.â€

Tanaka went, “Eh?â€

“Well, I wanted to call it ‘the Greyspan Fellowship.’ It got voted down. Then everyone agreed to ‘Grey Rangers.’ But that brings to mind some kind of military unit where everyone has color-coded costumes…â€

Nyx shook his head. “Well, anyway, I was planning to travel toward Greyspan, actually. I certainly didn’t expect to get lost.â€

Trogdor said, “Did you see the old man?â€

“The one with the green beard, wearing his clothes on the wrong side? Ah yes.â€

Tanaka said, “What do you know about these forest monsters, Lomandra?â€

Lo’ma’ndra thought to herself. This old man must have been some kind of guardian of the forest. It somewhat perturbed her that as an Elven Druid she didn’t learn more about these creatures. Maybe there was some sort of offering of propitiation to be made. But she had no idea what. In any case, the mission still stood.

And so the Grey-- the group agreed to ride east and rescue the people of Cloverfield. When they resumed the ride, they left the forest more quickly than they expected. Lo’ma’ndra paused as she looked over the surrounding lands.

“We’re only a day’s ride from the town,†she said.

“How do you know?†Tanaka said.

“Trogdor and the rest of us have been there before,†she said. “But we weren’t bewitched by the Old Man of the Forest then.†She sighed. “I hope Rogar and Valdergast aren’t lost to us. But I’m not sure we can find them in that wood.â€

During the ride towards Cloverfield, the grateful Nyx insisted on celebrating by singing the songs of his people. Tanaka considered it a fate worse than death. Lo’ma’ndra didn’t wish to insult the little man, but it was obvious that he thought he could sing when he couldn’t. Still, as the four sat down to a fire that night, Nyx noticed that Tanaka was disturbed.

He asked him, “You are not familiar with the songs of the Downs?â€

Tanaka replied, “I have heard people sing in the Vestrian inns. They are usually much better than you.â€

Nyx looked a bit miffed. In an attempt at sarcasm, Trogdor said, “I think it was very good singing.â€

“Really?†Nyx asked. Trogdor nodded.

The short one said, “Well, then! In gratitude to the warrior who saved my life, I shall compose a song in your honor, Trogdor!â€

Trogdor said, “Really.â€

Nyx sat up and mused to himself, working through the “melody†out loud: “Trogdor was a Man… eh, he was a Dragon… Man… or maybe he was just a Dragon… but he was still Trogdor…â€

Tanaka asked Lo’ma’ndra, “Does this town sit below the hills?â€

“Yes, why?†she asked.

“I think I can scout tomorrow and see what it looks like from here.†He looked at the Halfling sitting with the Drakine and singing.

“We should get up early. And sleep early,†Tanaka said.

-

The next sunrise, Tanaka got up first and took his mare away from camp while the others prepared. He rode up the hill to look over Cloverfield.

What he saw was a town in the grip of invaders. Several of the local houses and buildings had been wrecked, but not as many as Tanaka would have supposed. He also saw a few makeshift barracks in these wrecked areas, occupied by Goblins. The short, Man-like beings marched out in groups of ten to relieve comrades on patrol in the small streets of the town. Much of the activity surrounded the center of town where the marketplace would have been; it was here that the green skins were assembling their ballista.

Large guard towers were already set up around it. The crew guarding this device went in to their own quarters, appropriated from the local inns. Tanaka remembered that the creatures were nocturnal. The other patrols went door to door rousting a few of the Men who remained in town, assembling them near the town square. Some of the townspeople, both male and female, were made to work carts, while a guard patrol put together a group of thirty, pointing toward the woods where Tanaka and his comrades camped.

Tanaka rode back. Lo’ma’ndra asked, “What did you find?â€

The horseman said, “Nyx was correct. The town is occupied by Goblins.†He looked to Nyx. “What do you know about them?â€

The short one said, “Goblins? They’re not quite as bad as Orcs… well, not all of them. They’re smaller, and not usually as aggressive. In fact there are some nations that let them live in their own neighborhoods where they trade normally with other races.â€

Tanaka said, “I ask because this is odd. Most Orcs don’t occupy, they raid.â€

Nyx said, “These aren’t Orcs.â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “In any case they’re working for Skarill’s army. Their leadership has them organized for an ill purpose, and we need to stop them.†She moved to her horse. “Let’s see what we’re dealing with.â€

The group set itself up near the edge of the forest where the trail led toward Cloverfield. They saw the group of thirty, mostly men and a few women, leading a cart with two-man saws and a few small axes. It was clear that they were to help clear more wood for the project, and that the tools were to be under guard. Ten Goblins with whips and swords surrounded the work team, looking them over with pugnacious expressions on their twisted faces.

Lo’ma’ndra said, “All right. Nyx doesn’t have a weapon. We’ll just keep him with the animals. I can use Entangling Vines to capture at least one for question. Tanaka and Trogdor can fire arrows before they close in on us.â€

Trogdor frowned. “I’m not that good with the bow,†he thought.

The Red Sword spoke to him. “Why don’t we just charge in and kill them?â€

â€We’re supposed to attack at range,†Trogdor thought.

“You have the ancient Dragon’s blood, Trogdor. You have the potential.â€

“You mean I could breathe fire on them?â€

“Perhaps, in time… but I meant you have the potential to tap the power of this blade.â€

“How?â€

“Concentrate on the power, and hold the blade before you… I can breathe my own fire against these enemies.â€

“All right!â€

Lo’ma’ndra asked, “What?â€

Trogdor looked at her and said, “The Sword told me it can blast flames out from the blade.â€

The priestess said, “That’s a rather… indiscriminate attack. We have villagers to rescue.â€

Trogdor thought to the Sword, “What about these villagers?â€

â€What about them?â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “Is there any way you can get the Sword to narrow its fire to a single target?â€

Trogdor asked the question and the Sword told him, “I am not sure. I have never done so…â€

“It isn’t sure,†Trogdor said.

Tanaka asked Trogdor, “How do you know you won’t miss?â€

“I don’t miss.â€

Tanaka told Trogdor, “You didn’t even know you HAD this power until ten minutes ago!â€

Trogdor told his Sword, “Can you restrain your power to not hit everybody?â€

It said, “I will try… restraining myself.â€

Lo’ma’ndra looked at the Drakine concentrate on his sword and shook her head. “Trogdor, never mind. I want you to use your bow.â€

Trogdor felt anger, which he managed to restrain in himself. He looked back at the Sword and waited for a response.

The weapon said nothing.

-

The Goblins began to set up work. They threatened with whips and gestured to the townspeople to stand off while a couple of the guards handed out axes and saws.

Lo’ma’ndra gestured for the attack to begin.

Tanaka fired swiftly, his arrow flying straight through a Goblin guard’s body, the corpse flying with the arrow as it cut the ground.

Trogdor fired a heavy arrow of his own, instantly slaying the other guard by the cart.

Immediately the townspeople began to run in various directions in the woods, the other eight greenskins trying to corral them. One of them was suddenly trapped in thick vines that erupted from the earth.

Tanaka drew another shaft and fired at a Goblin. It went through an arm, but failed to stun the creature. The Goblin fled with the arrow still in its arm, Tanaka cursing at the need to chase him down.

That Goblin’s fellows were ready to break ranks as well, but before they could Trogdor fired again, sorely wounding a fourth target and making him fall. One of the Goblins called out to his peers in their screeching language and told them to run back to town. Two of them ran in that direction while the others tried to reorganize. Lo’ma’ndra moved up and cast her Entangling Vines spell on the one who spoke. The others began moving towards her with drawn swords.

Tanaka fired another arrow at the Goblin he’d already hit, this time killing him.

Trogdor fired on one of the retreating Goblins, hitting square in the back and killing him. Three Goblins closed on Lo’ma’ndra, but she easily parried her attackers. She then invoked the charm and watched as sharp thorns grew from the staff length.

Tanaka fired and killed the other running Goblin. He drew another arrow and fired at a new target, knocking him down.

Trogdor, itching for violence, put down his bow. Not even waiting to draw swords, he ran straight past one of the warriors attacking Lo’ma’ndra, lashing out with a claw and missing. But this drew his attention, and Lo’ma’ndra concentrated on the other two, making a rapid attack with both ends of the staff, killing one foe instantly and felling the other with a severe wound.

Trogdor’s foe moved up with a sword strike that barely registered through the Drakine’s thick hide. Trogdor responded by extending a leg and kicking forward, knocking the Goblin hard to the ground and audibly breaking bone.

Lo’ma’ndra looked around. “I think that’s ten,†she said. Careful not to raise her voice too high, she said, “People of Cloverfield- come out! We’re here to rescue you!â€

Most of the townspeople came forward. One of the older men said, “You need to be careful. They’re holding people hostage!â€

“I can question them,†Lo’ma’ndra said.

“There’s one left,†Tanaka told her.

“One? I Entangled two.â€

Tanaka said, “I was cutting their throats when I realized some of them still lived. I kept one alive for you.†The priestess shook her head.

A woman looked around and said, “How many of you are there?â€

Tanaka said, “Just the…†he looked up to make sure the short one hadn’t stolen off with their mounts. He saw Nyx smile and wave down at them. “…four of us.â€

“In that case, we need to wait and see what we’re going to do against this force. Maybe Valdergast and- his friend will show up,†Lo’ma’ndra said.

“Yes. We do need to wait and see if the others can find us…†Tanaka said.

If Trogdor was listening, he didn’t show any signs of it. At the moment he was kicking the now-unconscious Goblin all over the grass like a game ball, with a predator’s grin on his reptilian face.

JG

First, thanks for the compliments. :)

9/16/04

Well, I had to go back to my place and set up the game because Matt had business out of town, and it took Jason and Don past 7 pm to get over here. After that we wasted a great deal of time BSing and watching Gary set up City of Heroes so we could be enthralled by the adventures of the new superhero, Constipationman… so this part of the story is still in progress.

Session 14

MEANwhile… Rogar managed to catch up with Valdergast at about the time the mage regained control of his mount. They’d reached an area of thick forest growth where it was harder for the horses to move. They decided to reach the nearest clearing and look around.

After a short distance, they found themselves in a small grove, lit with streaks of sunlight overhead, with a small pond by a rock and grass filled with beautiful flowers of all colors, including some that didn’t seem native to the area.

And from out of nowhere, a beautiful maiden stepped up on the rock. She wore nothing but a diaphanous gown that did little to conceal her pale skin or feminine charms. Her hair was an almost greenish shade of auburn, with sunflowers in two places around her youthful face.

Rogar gave a querying look to Valdergast. The mage muttered, “Dryad.â€

She looked at the two men, then looked off to the side to see the old man with wild green hair and beard enter the grove. The old man looked up at her and said, “Are these the two you sought, Grandmother?â€

The girl nodded and smiled. Then she looked at the adventurers and spoke with a sweet voice and said, “Yes. This is Valdergast Arcanus.â€

“What did I do now,†Valdergast thought.

The girl looked down on him and said, “We know much of you, tree-killer.â€

“Oh boy,†Rogar thought.

Valdergast said, “I don’t think I actually killed any trees, I just flash-burned a few… and I don’t think it was in this wood…â€

The girl said, “You have done damage to the wood, and to the spirit of the wood. The forest cries out for justice.†She paused, and said, “Yet you are not beyond redemption.â€

The Dryad raised her hand, and her voice somehow became more mature. “Therefore Valdergast Arcanus, you shall not be punished for your sins, but by them. The next time you succumb to greed, precious metal shall turn to rust in your hands. The next time you succumb to lust, you shall suffer a plague of frogs. And the next time you succumb to wrath, you shall lose your sense of reason, and you shall regret the loss.â€

“All right, now what sentence do I get?†Rogar asked the woman.

The Dryad and the old man looked at each other. The Dryad said, “You did not need to be here. We have no quarrel with you, Rogar the Storm.â€

To Rogar’s surprise, Valdergast was writing things down on a scroll he had taken from one of his saddle packs. Valdergast looked at the woman and said, “And so what would your names be?â€

She said, “We have no names. We know who we are.â€

“Yes,†Valdergast said. “All right: The next time I succumb to greed, precious metal will turn to rust in my hands, when I succumb to lust I get a … plague of frogs… when I succumb to wrath I lose my sense of reason and will regret the loss.†He finished reading. “Is that it?â€

The woman said, “Yes.†She gestured and said, “You may go.â€

And with the next eye blink, Valdergast, Rogar and their horses were in a completely different part of the forest. The sun also seemed to be in a different position in the sky. In fact it was just after dawn.

“Great,†Rogar said. “I guess we’ll have to try to find the others.â€

â€Do you know how to track?†the mage asked him.

“No.â€

Valdergast shrugged and said, “Well we’ll just have to keep going on the same destination. Where were we going again?â€

â€Cloverfield.â€

“Ah,†Valdergast said. “Well, let’s ride. This seems to be the edge of the forest.â€

Rogar looked at him and said,†You wrote that stuff down?â€

Valdergast said, “If I have a curse, knowing the curse is the first step in preventing it.â€

-

It turned out that Rogar and Valdergast had been sent to a point only a few hours’ ride away from Cloverfield. They soon caught sight of a large cart in the middle of the wood with a few people milling around it. Going to investigate, the two men saw some of the Cloverfield locals, and within sight were the horses of the other three members of the team. Rogar and Valdergast rode up to see Lo’ma’ndra supervising Tanaka, Trogdor and a few of the locals, apparently taking some slain Goblin bodies and stashing them in the forest.

Lo’ma’ndra looked up and smiled. She said, “Thank goodness you are all right!â€

Valdergast dismounted and said, “Depends on your point of view.â€

“Eh?â€

The mage told Lo’ma’ndra, “I seem to have been judged by the head Dryad of the forest. She said the trees wanted justice for some reason… I’ve only burned an acre of trees in the last one and a half years.â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “Trees are touchy.â€

Valdergast said, “She didn’t like some of the decisions I’ve made lately. So now apparently I’m cursed. I have to wonder what the ‘wrath’ curse is going to do.â€

Lo’ma’ndra noticed that the villagers were giving Valdergast a wide berth when he said ‘I’m cursed.’

Rogar went to check on Trogdor and saw a dwarfishly short blond man in beaten merchant’s wear check the fallen Goblins and grab one of their swords. “He’s not using this anymore,†the man said.

“And you are?†Rogar asked.

“Ah, sorry. I’m Nyx.†He reached up to shake hands. “These people saved my life.â€

Trogdor looked at Nyx and said, “I think we should eat him.â€

“What?†Nyx spurted. “And after I wrote a song for you, too!â€

Valdergast said, “Nyx, forgive Trogdor. He gets testy if he hasn’t had chicken in a while.â€

â€Rrr…â€

“What do we do now?†Rogar asked.

Tanaka said, “Check over the hill and see what we’re up against.â€

Rogar checked and saw that the Goblins were constructing a ballista in the center of town and had guard towers set up around it. He also saw that the town was partially deserted, with some makeshift barracks set up in the ruined section of Cloverfield. He came back and said, “What is the plan?â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “According to Nyx and the locals, there were a hundred Goblins on garrison. We’ve dispatched ten.â€

Valdergast said, “I could burn down the entire town, but that might NOT be a good idea.â€

â€It usually isn’t,†Rogar said.

“I was thinking it might count as wrath,†the mage said.

Lo’ma’ndra said, “The people I talked to also said that the Goblins had taken hostages.â€

Rogar looked out at the group with the cart. He went up and asked, “Where are these hostages?â€

A middle-aged man spoke up. “They’re in various parts,†he said. “Some of the farmers’ wives and little ones, other people who didn’t escape and weren’t useful for labor.â€

Trogdor said, “Maybe we could scout around.â€

“Those of us who can, you mean,†Rogar said, looking at the other three.

The townsman spoke up again. “One more thing, these green skins don’t like being out in the daylight. They can do it, but they don’t like it. They usually sleep in shifts during the day with the rest of them guarding us. They do most of the work on that siege engine at night when we’re trying to sleep.â€

Lo’ma’ndra decided to stay behind with Tanaka and Valdergast, again counseling Rogar not to get ‘sidetracked’ with the scout mission. Rogar and Trogdor came down to Cloverfield on foot. Moving as quietly as possible, they reached the near end of town, with the largest building in the area being the local grounds of the High Church.

As they approached the church, Trogdor muttered, “Why here?â€

Rogar said, “This is a big enough area for them to host some of the villagers. And if they’re not here, the priests should know where they are.â€

Climbing up a slatted roof, Rogar looked down on the courtyard of the grounds, and saw a robed monk performing mundane gardening duties. The monk looked around and bowed to a couple of Goblins patrolling the outer hall of the building.

On the ground, Trogdor looked from a distance, then crept inside the building. He concealed himself in the corner of the entrance and saw another pair of Goblins with spears patrolling that hall.

Rogar crept back down and Trogdor spotted him. They made a rendezvous near the entrance. Rogar said, “There’s two patrolling inside by the courtyard.â€

“There’s another two near here,†Trogdor said.

“That’s four. They’re in parallel halls. So if we act quickly, we can each take two and not attract reinforcements. I’m going back to the courtyard,†Rogar said.

Trogdor waited for him to sneak off. He went back to concealment and waited for the patrol to return. When he thought they were at the right distance, Trogdor rushed up with his hands out and grabbed both up, klacking their heads together. The two Goblins looked at him, dazed. He realized he had to knock their heads together again. This time they went out.

Rogar went back to the courtyard on foot and hid in the shade of the outer hall. When the set of guards circled back toward him, he ran up before they could react, readied his staff, and attacked both, easily knocking them unconscious. He pulled them into the end of the hall and waited for Trogdor. Trogdor arrived in a few seconds.

“What now?†the Drakine asked.

“Wait.â€

In the garden, the monk Rogar had observed before was walking and talking with a senior priest and the two of them were in something of a guarded stance until they realized they were no longer being observed by Goblins. They started looking around.

Rogar said, “Let’s talk.†He and Trogdor walked up. The older priest said, “Who are you?â€

“We’re here to rescue the town,†Rogar said.

The priest nodded. “We were told by another of you that we could expect help.â€

The gardener-monk asked, “How many are with you?â€

Rogar deliberately misled him and said, “There’s just us.â€

The two clerics looked a bit askance, but the elder looked back at Rogar and nodded. Rogar asked him, “Where do they have the hostages?â€

The priest said, “They want to keep them concentrated, but not too much so. So the Goblins commandeered the inns. That way they can take advantage of those facilities during their rest periods too.â€

“What’s the biggest inn in town?â€

“The biggest one is close to this neighborhood. It’s called the Amethyst. That’s a purple gem in the sign.â€

Rogar vaguely remembered the Amethyst as the inn that Valdergast had stayed at the last time the group was in town.

Rogar and Trogdor left the church after searching and helping the priests, telling the clergy to lay low until the Goblins were clear of the area. As he and Trogdor moved around the buildings of town, Rogar realized that one of his usual tactics- ascending the wall and jumping between rooftops- was going to be problematic at best with Trogdor. The Drakine was doing a surprisingly good job at being stealthy, but he was over six and a half feet of bulk even without his heavy swords and chainmail, which had to be at least fifty pounds. Even if Trogdor could carry the weight, Rogar wasn’t sure some of the older roofs could. So in order for Rogar and Trogdor to keep an eye on each other, they moved behind the buildings, in the shade, which would not only hide them from most observation, it would be the best place for them to catch any of the nocturnal Goblin warriors.

Rogar caught sight of the Amethyst by its tavern sign, but he and Trogdor were still a few buildings away, and they still weren’t in position to sneak inside and look. Rogar was going to check for observers when Trogdor said, “I think they just saw us.â€

At the back alley, two Goblins walked around a corner and caught sight of the two adventurers. Even as Trogdor readied a bow to pick them off, Rogar pushed himself and ran right up to the warriors, striking with the quarterstaff and knocking one out. But he couldn’t move in time to stop the other.

Trogdor realized the Goblin might get away. Not as fast as Rogar and not having time to run up with a sword, he took his bow and fired at the second Goblin in melee with Rogar. The arrow went high and sped toward Rogar’s face.

But before he knew it, a black-clad figure bounced down from the inn’s roof, hit the ground on both feet and caught the Drakine’s arrow. Barehanded. And while Trogdor had no idea who the grey-haired, young-looking Man could be, he and Rogar seemed to recognize each other immediately.

But in that instant, the Goblin next to Rogar lashed out with his short sword and stabbed the interloper. The man winced but did not cry out. Rogar quickly whirled his staff up and smacked the Goblin unconscious.

The man looked at the blood on his hand where he clutched the wound. “This is what I get…†he muttered.

Rogar said in the man’s language, “Sorry about that.â€

“I will live.â€

Trogdor came up to see what was going on and why the two were using a language he couldn’t understand. The stranger looked up at him and bowed. Rogar said, “This is Trogdor.â€

The man spoke to Trogdor in Trade-Tongue: “Greetings, my name is Lao.â€

“Loud? You seemed quiet to me,†Trogdor said.

“LAO…†the stranger enunciated. “I do not speak Trade well…â€

“It’s okay,†Rogar said. With a somewhat bashful smile, he told Trogdor, “He’s sort of my father.â€

Lao looked over Rogar’s shoulder and said, “I don’t think that was all of them.â€

“How many are there?â€

Rogar looked around to where his foster father gazed. There were at least a dozen more Goblin warriors in the alley, some with bows.

-

JG

9/23/04

Session 15

“We Had to Destroy Cloverfield In Order to Save Itâ€

Trogdor immediately came up to the first rank of Goblins, making a short cut in one warrior’s torso, knocking out a second with his sword blow. Rogar moved up and struck another down with his staff. Three archers in the back fired on Lao and missed the dodging monk. Trogdor’s opponent, still conscious, tried hitting with his sword, striking a blow that the Drakine didn’t even feel through armor.

Suddenly, before the archers could ready new arrows, Lao ran up the back wall of the inn, moving just quickly enough to beat gravity, jumping into the midst of the Goblins and making swing kicks against all three archers, who fell in a second. Trogdor was somewhat impressed.

The monk then tried a follow up blow on one of the warriors who were moving against Rogar, but his acrobatic move had apparently put him off-balance, and Lao had to correct himself before he slipped. Still, the move bought Rogar enough time to make a defensive stance and then make a double-headed staff attack, dispatching two Goblins.

Trogdor cut down his foe then moved up with his twin sword attack, quickly killing the last two Goblins in the patrol.

Lao looked at the others and told Trogdor in Trade, “Maybe we should go back to these friends of yours.â€

Trogdor nodded in quick agreement.

Rogar said, “We need to get past that guard by the ballista…â€

-

Lo’ma’ndra looked down towards the town. Rogar and Trogdor still hadn’t come back. She shook her head.

Then she and the others heard a horn sound from one of the guard towers. Valdergast said, “They were spotted.â€

Tanaka grunted. “We expected there to be a commotion. We sent Rogar.â€

Lo’ma’ndra said, “I tried to give him an opportunity to do right…â€

Tanaka wondered, “If these Goblins are not normally aggressive, why are they here? And how could only a hundred do this much damage and take over a town of, maybe a thousand?â€

One of the people in the crowd said, “They didn’t come alone. There was a band of Orcs leading the charge. These ones are just the garrison.â€

“As I thought,†Lo’ma’ndra said. “These Goblins are the occupation force.†She looked at Valdergast. “Are you thinking something?â€

The mage said, “Give me a few more seconds. I may be able to make the Fireball spell hit that ballista.â€

“Didn’t you say it was too far off?â€

The mage said, “As it happens, I recalibrated the spell while we were taking time off in Greyspan. It’s a little more powerful now… that also means its range is increased. It’s just a bit more difficult to cast.â€

“Marvelous,†Lo’ma’ndra said. “You’re even more destructive.â€

Valdergast said, “Hey, some of these Orcs and things we’ve been fighting didn’t go down after one hit. I’m just trying to make sure.â€

“Never leave a live enemy behind,†Tanaka restated.

“Exactly,†Valdergast said.

At that, one of the townspeople cried out as he was cut down by an arrow to the back. Lo’ma’ndra looked around and managed to see several more Goblins, somewhat taller and better filled out than the ones they’d seen, wearing some kind of bark armor as concealment in the wood. These carried thick shortswords; their companions had to be the ones firing arrows. Immediately Lo’ma’ndra used the Tangling Vines spell to hit one of the advancing warriors. Tanaka quickly readied an arrow and fired on one, which seemed to wound the creature but didn’t slow him down. Tanaka felt a stray arrow fly past him and nick his hide armor. Tanaka’s eyes narrowed.

It was hard to tell what was going on- some of the people who had just been rescued were being cut down by these new Goblin warriors. Some of them were also taking out the axes to melee their attackers. Lo’ma’ndra heard what could only have been a Goblin cry out and drop, but she wasn’t sure who scored the blow; the fight was all around them in the wood.

Tanaka fired again, wounding another random opponent. Lo’ma’ndra tried to concentrate and invoke her Shield of Faith at the same time as she created the Staff of Thorns, but the whole situation had taken her by surprise. For the first time in recent memory, the power failed to come to her when she called. An arrow flew across her stomach, drawing blood. The Goblins continued to hack down anyone in range of their swords. Valdergast looked toward the archers just in time to get hit with an arrow, hurting him badly and breaking his concentration.

Some of the townspeople finally managed to grapple one of the green-skinned rangers and cut him down. Tanaka looked around and found the archer who had tried to fire on him. He aimed quickly and shot, firing straight through the big Goblin’s chest and dropping him.

Lo’ma’ndra refocused and invoked both her Shield and the Staff spell successfully. She moved down and attacked one of the Goblins attacking the people, wounding him severely and taking him down. Another group moved in on the priestess and the townspeople. One woman with an axe held it to block, but she was killed by the more expert Goblin fighting her. More arrows flew from the woods. Two Goblins teamed up to attack Lo’ma’ndra, but while she was battered, her Shield kept her from being injured further.

Tanaka found the other Goblin that he failed to kill with his first shot. He readied and fired against him, this time putting him down for good. He looked for another target, fired, and hit the Goblin’s forearm. Tanaka cursed.

Tanaka, on horseback, also noticed that the little man Nyx had apparently picked a ‘chicken fight’ with one of the Goblin rangers, both opponents having apparently cut each other with their swords, now dancing around trying to get into the other’s reach.

Valdergast finally regained his senses, set up his Wizard’s Shield, and threw Magefire versus Nyx’s opponent- missing.

Lo’ma’ndra put herself in a defensive stance to block some of the warriors attacking the civilians. Then she lashed out with her staff, the thorns cracking deeply into a Goblin’s skull.

Tanaka fired at his target again, hitting him in the chest. The Goblin fell. Nyx slashed his Goblin, but the opponent cut him across the gut, and Valdergast saw the Halfling fall. The mage invoked Magefire, and missed again.

Lo’ma’ndra ran up to Nyx’s target after realizing this was the last warrior in range. She struck with the thorn staff and put the Goblin down.

That seemed to be the end of the battle. No one else fought. Tanaka had apparently shot down the other archers. Lo’ma’ndra looked at Nyx. He was badly hurt, but could live. She looked up. “Who else has been hurt? I need to make sure no one’s died.â€

One of the men looked at the woman who’d fought by Lo’ma’ndra’s side. “No good. She isn’t breathing.â€

They managed to determine that eight of the thirty townspeople had been killed by these Goblin rangers. The people had taken some revenge in cutting down the entangled target. No one else who was still alive had actually been wounded, other than Nyx, Valdergast, and Lo’ma’ndra herself.

“It will take a minute or so to heal us,†Lo’ma’ndra said.

Tanaka said, “When you’re ready.†The barbarian looked to see that some of the people who’d helped cut down these Goblins were also taking their swords. “Good. We need to have an armed group. When we’re ready, we charge that ballista.â€

-

In the town, Rogar and Lao moved with surpassing grace and a little speed toward the outskirts and the hills beyond. But Trogdor, while surprisingly stealthy up to this point, was still a very easy target to spot, and as the trio rounded the marketplace where the ballista was guarded, one of the posts caught sight of him trying to keep up with the other two. The air was filled with the rude sound of a crude horn.

Rogar looked up and back. The Goblins were setting up bows. He looked toward Trogdor. Rogar told him, “The time to be sneaky is over. Now comes the head-on mayhem.â€

Trogdor grinned.

The trio quickly doubled back and broke up with each attacking one of the four wooden guard towers. Rogar looked just in time to see an arrow fly straight to his face. Trogdor looked with amazement as his comrade somehow managed to evade the shot at the last second. Lao got to a post and began climbing and finding purchases to jump. Rogar followed suit with a second tower opposite. Trogdor stayed on the ground, and held out the Red Sword. He aimed its blade toward the great ballista, which was nearly completed.

The Red Sword fired a cone of orange-hot fire from its tip, fanning out to cover the siege weapon in the middle of the square. The thing went ablaze immediately.

As the others continued making progress to the top, the Goblin guards tried to fire, but even as such easy targets, the climbers were able to duck the shots. The guards started concentrating on Trogdor, but the hunting arrows bounced off his armor. The Drakine grinned again and yelled, blasting again with the Sword. This time the fire caused the housing of the ballista to crack and fall into itself.

Trogdor then looked up at one of the Goblins shooting at him. This time he aimed the Sword right at his opponent. A jet of flame went up and caught the bottom of the guard post where the archer was sitting; Trogdor heard the Goblin screech.

Lao finally made his laborious climb up the tower. He jumped up and used a raised-knuckle punch to quickly dispatch the guard.

A second later, Rogar jumped up, caught himself with his staff, then switched it around to connect with his guard’s torso. Two posts were down.

Trogdor invoked the flame a fourth time, but it seemed weaker, and it only then occurred to him just how tiring this magic power was.

His target lowered the rope from his tower and started rappelling down. The guard on fourth tower did the same. Trogdor’s target managed to shimmy down just in time for the Drakine to run up and hit him with both his blades.

At about that time, Tanaka gathered the townspeople behind him and gave the signal to charge down the hill.

From his tower, Rogar was able to look on the Amethyst and see a group of about twenty: ten Goblins, each leading a human hostage. This large group seemed to be led by another Goblin, larger than most- about five feet tall- with a helmet and studded leather armor. In that second, Rogar also saw the fourth guard jump from his rope and start running to his fellows.

Rogar jumped from his tower to the corner tower, then gripped his staff to impact the ground ahead of him. He struck toward earth like a diving raptor, landing straight by the fleeing guard. Readying his weapon again, Rogar swung it across the Goblin’s chest.

The leader looked at the wreck of the ballista and called out in passable Vestrian, “Intruders! We have hostages! You surrender- or they die!!â€

In response, Rogar simply walked up calmly. He stood about thirty feet away from the Goblin leader and his group. He smiled at him and said, “You saw what we did to your ballista. Surrender to us or YOU die.â€

The other Goblins looked a bit worried. Their leader, however, was made of sterner stuff. At least until he saw Tanaka and the others in a horse charge leading the angry townsfolk down from the hills.

Rogar took a few steps more. The leader backed towards his hostages and sneered. He said, “I do not think so.â€

Rogar calmly said, “This is your last chance. You can let these people go… or you can face Rogar the Storm.â€

And some of the Goblins muttered, “Rogar?â€

At that point, a couple of them started chattering to their boss, making pantomime gestures of Rogar diving, and swinging the staff, and the jumping, and the hitting, and so forth.

The leader nodded. He said, “We are going to retreat. You let us go.â€

“Let the hostages go first.â€

The leader was about to argue, but then Trogdor started moving behind Rogar with his red-hot sword. Lao stood off in the distance, watching.

The Goblin leader yelled a one word command, and the group let their hostages go. They then retreated as a unit with their faces to Rogar, backing off toward the barracks area. The hostages immediately broke off and ran into the buildings.

At this point, Tanaka made his way down to the marketplace, closely followed by Lo’ma’ndra and Valdergast. They broke their charge as soon as they realized that Rogar had somehow managed to stand down the Goblins. Tanaka looked down and saw an enigmatic stranger, dressed much like Rogar, only wearing a black hood at his neck and woven sandals on his feet. The man smiled up at the group.

Lo’ma’ndra rode up toward Trogdor and Rogar, dismounting to look at the Drakine. She said, “Where were you?â€

Trogdor said, “We were killing. It was fun.â€

Lo’ma’ndra looked over at Rogar with a grim expression. “Very good scouting you did there.â€

Rogar pointed to the inn and to some of the people even now making reunions. He said, “You wanted us to find the hostages. They’re right there.â€

The Elf’s expression did not change. She said, “Again, I ask to just check the situation and report back, and again you fight the entire garrison before we can know what’s going on. You shall no longer be on scout duty.â€

“And who will?†Rogar asked.

Lo’ma’ndra frowned. “I shall have to do it myself.â€

Trogdor looked into the distance. “I think they’re packing up.â€

It seemed that the leader had regrouped his forces at the makeshift barracks- a bit less than half of the hundred- and had reorganized them. True to the agreement, they did not attack, but instead moved out of the town- on the northwest road.

Tanaka said, “They’re going deeper into the country.â€

Valdergast said, “Deeper into Vestria, you mean.â€

“We should kill them,†Trogdor said.

“We had an agreement,†Rogar told him.

Lo’ma’ndra said, “Yes. Rogar seems to have saved the town further violence by letting them go. We need to honor the agreement.â€

Trogdor almost frowned. Lo’ma’ndra told him, “What one of us does reflects on the group.â€

The Drakine looked at Rogar and said, “He said HE wouldn’t attack them.â€

Tanaka shrugged. “Tomorrow IS another day.â€

Lo’ma’ndra nodded and said, “Attacking now would destroy the town.†She looked over at Valdergast who was smiling and waving at the garrison as it moved out of Cloverfield. He looked down from his horse. “We can always wait till they camp…â€

One of the innkeepers said, “I remember you people. Wasn’t the lizard in the Harvest Festival this year?â€

Trogdor said, “I didn’t remember for some reason.â€

The man said, “Well, come, let us celebrate with what’s been left to us. At least we still have a town. And we’re free.â€

Lao looked over at Rogar and said, “It seems that you have indeed developed a notorious reputation in this land.â€

Rogar said, “Well, that rep wasn’t really planned.â€

He looked at the others. “I need to make an introduction,†he said. “This is the priestess Lo’ma’ndra, and Valdergast Arcanus, Trogdor the Drakine and Tanaka. Guys, this is Lao. He’s my mentor from Thon-Sa.â€

The man in black nodded politely at the introduction. He spoke to the group in Trade-Tongue. “Greetings. And thank you. For now I think we should rest. But if we rest here, I need to talk to you as a group. We may need to follow these Goblins anyway.â€

“What are you getting at?†Trogdor asked.

Lao said, “I am not sure. But this may involve your nation’s war with Khirkovy. It may be that the same forces are combining these armies together. And we need to tell your leaders.†He looked at the open door of the Amethyst. “Come. I will explain.â€

-

JG