I've Gone Totaly Mental!

Re: I've Gone Totaly Mental!

Remember' date=' too, that it's "[i']inclined[/i] to do anyway," not "about to do anyway." Giving the command to "grab the loot and get the heck out of here" would be good for a crook with strong attacks but not much in the way of movement.

Exactly. A lot of it is personality/emotion driven. A mentalist can give the command you described to one member of the opposition who is a coward at heart to begin with and they might well take it. Whereas giving it to another guy who loves to fight superheroes and is pretty tough and self-confident falls on deaf ears if they only made EGO+.

Remember' date=' too, that it's "[i']inclined[/i] to do anyway," not "about to do anyway." Giving the command to "grab the loot and get the heck out of here" would be good for a crook with strong attacks but not much in the way of movement.

Yes. I understand that. As an experienced GM I can handle it. I just wish it were made clearer in the book. I would have liked to see a few examples of the difference between "Inclined to do anyway" and "Wouldn't mind doing" in FREd.

I disagree. It's no different from a brick being able to break an Entangle as a 0 Phase action with casual strength. Of course if the Entangle/mental effect is strong enough then it'll just take more effort and time to break free.

Since it appears Mentor and I disagree, we'll have to sit down (perhaps with the other GMs as well) and hash this out for our campaign. As of yet this situation hasn't occured.

I play a Mentalist whose OCV ain't much to write home about. Trebuchet plays a REALLY quick MA who is nearly untouchable unless entangled or paralyzed. You don't think we have a bias or anything do you? :whistle::winkgrin:

I play a Mentalist whose OCV ain't much to write home about. Trebuchet plays a REALLY quick MA who is nearly untouchable unless entangled or paralyzed. You don't think we have a bias or anything do you? :whistle::winkgrin:
In my own defense, I'd like to point out that Zl'f's ability to break Entangles or mental paralysis ain't nothing to write home about either. If she gets a "free" attempt to escape a mental paralysis, with a 13 EGO she's not much more likely to escape it than a normal. And let's not even discuss how well a STR 15 character breaks out of Entangles.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Another classic EGO+ command -- "Attack {specific member of the opposition}' date=' where {specific member of the opposition} is almost invulnerable to the victim's attack.[/quote']

Or, far, far worse... "Attack {guy who absorbs your special effect to all their powers}"!

:love:

At the end of the day, I think the difference in cost is this - flexibility.

Energy Blasts and Killing Attacks can be used for one thing - Damage. Granted, if the target is standing on the edge of a cliff, you could use your EB to push them off. Great.

But Mental Powers... Aha! These can be used for many things. I once saw a writeup for a Brick/Mentalist who would make enemies use their Healing/Aid on him, and then punch them. That's a lot better than an EB, and that's still thinking combat.

I see where you're coming from, Citizen Keen. But I don't think it's a clean as that. Images has the same flexibility as Mental Illusions, but costs far less comparatively (and there's no defense against it). Anything that actually causes harm/damage to the target directly seems to be worth more, until it comes to Mental Powers, which cost the same. Granted, being able to find out what the villain's childhood fear is without doing any research could be very useful, or sometimes more effective than simply blasting him, but ultimately blasting someone is more useful in combat.