Cumulative Side Effects

I'd like to write up a system, mainly for magic, where using powers has a cumulative side effect. Something like how a necromancer may start to look more and more like a corpse over time. I was thinking that there should be a couple of cosmetic changes (pale skin, drawn face), some more serious ones (stinks like a grave, blackened soul), then some serious ones (your arm is undead and flesh occasionally drops off).

I'm familiar with Side Effects and Transform, but I'm still having a little trouble. Would I just say the side effect is you gain X necromancer transformation points and once the first effect is in place, start on the next?

Re: Cumulative Side Effects

That's pretty much how I've done it in print (or soon to be in print, anyway -- IIRC there are some Black Magic spells like that in the FHG2). A point of Transform damage here or there may not sound like much -- but since there's no defense and no healing, it adds up, and eventually bam! you've lost your soul. :eg:

That's pretty much how I've done it in print (or soon to be in print' date=' anyway -- IIRC there are some Black Magic spells like that in the FHG2). A point of Transform damage here or there may not sound like much -- but since there's no defense and no healing, it adds up, and eventually bam! you've lost your soul. :eg:

Is this the explanation of why you can churn out so much quality stuff, answer all our rules questions, and apparently not sleep? :eek:

Right, but I was just looking at all the points form the spells accumulating toward the same Transform. I don't want to keep track of a Transform for each spell. Having just one Transform would probably go too quickly, if the character used many spells at all.

Hmmm... it is true what you say. You do have to achive 2x the character's body to fully transform them, but still.

Here is an idea. Don't make it an automatic side effect. If your spells require a skill roll, then the mage only suffers transform when he fails to cast the spell spell correctly. That would slow it down if you only had one culmulative transformation for all spells.

Or, you can play with the circumstances of the side effect, like it only happens when you cast more then X spells of this type in one day.

You probably know all this, but I think the effect is really cool, so I am inclined to contribute.

I wouldn't do this as a Side Effect, but just part of the character's concept. As he earns XP, he'll buy more spells and become more necromancery. At the same time, he could have worked off a few Disads in game. He doesn't need to spend points, he can just replace them with Necromancer Disads.

If you don't want to go that route, you can just start him off with a Physical Limitation (or maybe write it up as a Susceptibility) that states that throughout time, he'll develope other Disads automatically at no point bonus.

Either way, the cumulative effect of the transformation is completely in the hands of the GM and player (though mostly the GM). The GM can gauge how much the character should transform based on what spells he uses, how powerful they are and what he uses them for, rather than a flat point value being applied per spell.

Is this the explanation of why you can churn out so much quality stuff, answer all our rules questions, and apparently not sleep?

Nah, that's easy. Part of the points I got for my Social Limitation: Has No Social Life were allotted to Life Support (Diminished Sleep). :hex: