Special Ammo

DocMan

I've got a character in a new campaign who carries a special sidearm. The Sidearm itself is built as a 30 point Multipower. In it's current incarnation, the Sidearm has two barrels which shoot different types of ammo, bought as clips of charges.

So I'm looking at the next version of this weapon. And I'm thinking of adding a third barrel to it (or having one barrel and being able to pull from one of three clips) for shooting Passive Restraint Foam. Naturally, this would be bought with another slot in the multipower, so many dice of entangle as a clip of charges. I'm fine up to this point.

And then I began thinking. (Right, I know, that's where all my trouble begins, when I start thinking.) The Restraint Foam may be good, but it may be almost impossible to hit some of these MA's and Speedsters with obscenely high DEX. So maybe I need an alternate version of the Restraint Foam that provides a wider spray? i.e. is bought with a 1 Hex Area of Effect. So this would be an extra clip of special ammo that was mutually exclusive with the original Passive Restraint Foam and would require a clip change to use. Would this be just SFX? Or is this a further limitation on one (or both) of these slots?

Doc

Re: Special Ammo

Or you could buy a Naked Advantage outside the Multipower, like this:

AoE (One Hex) on Entangle (adds to Entangle in Multipower), OAF, 2 charges.

So, if for example you had a 3d6, 3 DEF Entangle in the multipower, the above power would cost you 4 points. Also remember that if you use a charge to make it AoE, you still have to use a charge from the main Entangle as well (so make sure to have more charges of the main Entangle than you have for the AoE.

Angry Bug's reply makes thing easier in terms of number-crunching in gameplay; I'd go for that one myself. Fedifensor's construction also makes good sense. You may also wish to increase the MP reserve a little bit to put some more tricks into it along the way; you could have a 2/2d6 entangle (or 20 active points of anything) with a variable advantage (up to +1/2) as a +1 modifier. Since this construction is probably an ultra, you're still only spending 1 or 2 points on it including lims.

But really, a 30-point MP is probably a little low for this sort of thing.

The 30 point MP is a little low, but it's the points I had. It WAS a 20 point MP because all I needed it to do at first was provide +4d6 HA and some inches of swinging. It got bumped up to 30 when I added in gun-like functions and put in a 6d6 EB and 2d6 RKA. It's becoming more Star Heroesque with each revision.

Doc

I guess a grenade would cost too much...maybe build it with "Boostable" charges so you cn hold down the button to "stick 'em good" that way a base entangle of 2D6 AE 1 hex will be usable against both Dr. Destroyers security guards And a villian or two....

I guess a grenade would cost too much...maybe build it with "Boostable" charges so you cn hold down the button to "stick 'em good" that way a base entangle of 2D6 AE 1 hex will be usable against both Dr. Destroyers security guards And a villian or two....

I've considered the grenade idea, although that will const considerably more points unless it has some serious limitations on it. Since I already had a MP and a reasonable context for a delivery system, it seemed the better option. Definately more cost efficient. The current charges in the weapon are boostable, so I guess I could make the entangle charges boostable as well.

I guess I need to play around with it in HD and see how the costs come out.

Doc

I agree with Boostable charges, especially if your GM will let you spread an entangle to hit multiple people and stuff.