Politically/ Socially Correct

DrSavant

For some time now we have heard the term "politiclaly correct" (though I prefer the term "socially correct")

I have created NPC's that are from many different ethnic, racial etc backgrouds. Here are a few, please add ones you have created or played.

Lambda; Female, Afro-American, Lesbian

( a kind of Batgirl ripoff)

Maccabe; Male, Orthodox Jew

(Direct desendent of Judah Maccabe-> Channukah)

(Think Espirita from West Coast Avengers)

BlackJack; Male, Afro-American

(Ex-Army Sergeant, highly skilled)

Gold Dragon; Male, Asian-American

(Green Dragon had 2 brothers in a game I GM'd)

White Witch: Female (caucasian).

("Real" Magic and the Creeds that go with it)

Robert J. Sullivan: Male, Caucasian, Lawyer

( got caught up in a Satanic Cult)

Good guys:

Seismos; male; black; tunneling brick/energy projector

The only one of my characters to leave a campaign; he didn't die but seized the "Eighth Orb of Power" to prevent villains from getting it. The move boosted his point totals incalculably and drove him mad. He was last seen held in protective custody in the medical ward an orbital prison.

Maccabeus; male; ultra-Orthodox Jew; brick, his powers dependent on obeying strict Nazarite code (like Sampson)

Pole; male; Chinese; martial artist with a trick staff

Pretty stereotypical '80s movie kung fu guy

Bad guys:

Fu Manchu; male; Chinese; mastermind

The original supervillain!

Hussien ibn Abbas, Al-Mahdi; male; Arab; Shi'ite messiah

Had vast, never-detailed spiritual powers.

Carlo; male; Mexican; evil robot

Captured by the Metronoids (Dalek rip-offs), he was transformed into a cyborg agent.

SF Team:

Dracco: Metamorphing (Dragon and Hybrid) Chinease American Mage/MA

Lightning: Mexican Imigrant with speedster powers, dedicate school teacher (Spanish, English, History)

Stealth: Mexican American Metamorphing (Invisibility/Shapechanging) Scientist, with Power Armor and other gadgets

Sea Urchin: Stealth's brother, aquatic Hero (PA type)

Paris:

Renard: French Fencer

Mut: German Brick

Bastion: FF/FW generator from Greece

Le Senora Del Caucho: Spanish Streatcher

Le Hombre de Magica: French Mage

PsiBorg: Half man/Half Cyborg, all mentalist from Italy

London

Crownguard: English Brick with powers based on being in england (A Capt Britain rip off sort of)

Emerald, a plant mage from Northern Ireland

Force: A character from wales, Brick/Blaster

LION HEART: Scottish PA character

Crystal: Norway Empath

Cytell: Cyborg from Southern Ireland

Tokyo:

Heavy Metal: Mistress of Robots, PA Blaster/Gadgetter from Japan

Rising SUn: Japenece Blaster

Dr Denasity: Desinty controling hero from Korea

Working on more

I think the most interesting one I have is Poltergeist. He was originally played by a gay player and, of course, he was gay. However it was handled tastefully - most of the time (He enjoyed dropping off normal level villians at a local gay leather bar). I have kept him this way and currently he is the Uber Villian in my game. Can't wait until my players read this message and find this fact out. ;)

ethnic characters

Hmm ! Well one of the characters that I play is Danish ("St Barbara") and is probably a bad 60's Scandanavian stereotype (Blonde, cute, former nude model, etc ) but i have also done a few that attempt to get away from stereotyping, such as my only Australian Aboriginal hero "Paluma" who has electrical powers rather than being a mystic or puting a werewolf character in Spain ("El lobo Miedo" which i think translates as "The Dire Wolf") rather than in say central europe where most werewolf stories seem to be set. Two of the three female "bricks" that I have written up are placed in Turkey and Uraguay, although i have to admit that i created them by stealing characters from existing "Champions" supplements (The Turkish character "The Silver Crescent" is a depowered version of "Vipera", while the Uraguyian "la Bomba" is a rewrite of "American Beauty) while my "Green Lantern' copy was placed in Argentina. Looking at the list of characters that I have created over the years I realise just how many of them are cliched and "nation specific" (My group in India for example contains a super strong wrestler,a Yogi type with extreme flexibility and martial arts, and a mentalist as well as a gadgeteer who uses "chakram" (traditional Sikh throwing hoops) ) More cliched than I had at first thought.