Need small starship deck plans

Trebuchet

I've got a space adventure coming up in my Champions campaign, and I was wondering if anyone has got Hero-scale plans for a small starship (25 X 10 inches, two decks high)? It's a small scout/patrol/courier vessel of very advanced design, and with limited weaponry.

I can cobble something up from scratch if I must; but if someone has already put together a good ship design I'd rather apply my limited time to fleshing out the story arc; which I expect will run 8 or 9 months.

Re: Need small starship deck plans

Has anyone ever used Campaign Cartographer? Comments?

Yes. CC has a fairly high learning curve and you will have to build up your symbol cateloges before you can quickly map things out. I used it to build deck plans for my LUGtrek game a few years ago. I lost everything when my hard drive crashed (can we say back up? :weep: ) and I just haven't gotten around to starting again. There are other programs out there, but I tend to think of CC as the FRED of mappers. A bit steep for the beginner, but able to map out anything.

Spence

Guest Keneton

Try this. Complete hero stats and hex maps in pdf format. A little too much info, but use wht you need. If you need more clear maps or differnt format, please let me know.

Z'lf in space? :thumbup:

I do everything in Campaign Cartographer, from maps, to illustrations, to player handouts. For the price, it is cheaper than buying autoCAD and Adobe Illustrator. It used to have a high learning curve, but I was amazed how quickly my friend picked it up when I sat down with him. The only hard thing to grasp is its interface, which follows a CAD-based "Action-Object" rather than a Windows-based "Object-Action". e.g. in Powerpoint you would select an element on the page and then click delete. In CC, you click delete, and then select an object.

My favorite map in CC involved creating a number of symbols that represented the "footprint" of a Jenga Block on any of three sides. Using these like stamps, I built my maps, and used them as blueprints when it came time for combat...

Try this. Complete hero stats and hex maps in pdf format. A little too much info, but use wht you need. If you need more clear maps or differnt format, please let me know.

Z'lf in space? :thumbup:

That's almost perfect, Keneton. It's a little smaller than I'd originally intended, but that might actually be better for the story. Any chance you could send me a Hero Designer (Version 1 or 2) version of the ship so I can tweak it a bit? And a larger image of the ship wouldn't hurt, but is not as important.

Yep, I'm taking Zl'f and the MidGuard gang into interstellar space for a long story arc to save the world from a menace from deep space. Three of the campaign's GM's are involved in this; I'll be doing the main story arc and Mentor and Blackjack will be running side adventures. I expect this will run from September 2004 until next June or thereabouts.

if you dont mind a little fudging, theres a great book of starship designs and deckplans, although designed for use with GURPS Traveller, you could easily use them for Star Hero, these plans use squares. but since 1 GT/Traveller square is really close to 2 Hero Hexes, its easy enough to work with.

the book is called 101 Starships, and is a free download even

and it has ships from small fighters to battleships

heres a link to where you can download a copy

http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/shipyard/

if you dont mind a little fudging, theres a great book of starship designs and deckplans, although designed for use with GURPS Traveller, you could easily use them for Star Hero, these plans use squares. but since 1 GT/Traveller square is really close to 2 Hero Hexes, its easy enough to work with.

the book is called 101 Starships, and is a free download even

and it has ships from small fighters to battleships

heres a link to where you can download a copy

http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/shipyard/

That's wonderful, Shadowcat. Thanks! It's been a couple of decades since I've played any form of Traveller, but I think I can use these OK. I may not use them for the heroes' starship, but they'll certainly be handy for other ships. You did say there are battleships, right? :eg:

Try this. Complete hero stats and hex maps in pdf format. A little too much info' date=' but use wht you need. If you need more clear maps or differnt format, please let me know.[/quote']

Man! That's a class act! I love it.

Of course you could always use the Gurps Traveller deckplan series, they come double-sided with hexes on one side and a square grid on the other:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/traveller/deckplan1/

Or there are these guys on rpgnow.com that do sets of generic deckplans on pdf; they use square grids but so far I'm very impressed with the plans themselves; each ship includes an overview of the ship, then a detailed large scale breakdown of each area. You also get two versions of each set, one in colour and other in black and white to save your printer, it's over 100 pages of material for $8 :)

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2874&

Check out this demo of the minelayer if you're unconvinced:

http://www.uk-gamerz.com/publishing/MPV8-EN04.pdf

I'm thinking of photocopying the Hero hexgrid onto a sheet of transparency or something and simply overlaying on the square grid; might look weird but should be functional - has anyone else tried this?