Low Level Galactic Champions

nexus

Would it be more possible to run a space/future oriented game at a more "traditional" power level? I liker the idea of space based supers, but I'm not a big fine of the ultra high power/point levels. I'm much more comfortable around th 300-450 point level. I was thinking the campaign would be along the lines of the 2099 titles or possibly the old show "Galaxy Rangers".

Re: Low Level Galactic Champions

I'm not familiar with those specific titles, but here are a couple of thoughts on ways to make it work on a normal 350 point base. One thing to do might be to encourage the characters to be "one-trick pony" characters (these were semi-common in the Legion of Superheroes). They may be quite powerful at the one thing they do, but they only do one thing. This specialization helps make them more affordable. You might also make devices like Flight Rings and Life Support fields available to the team as "normal" equipment with no point cost so they don't have to "waste" their own points buying the basic necessities of adventuring in space.

Guest WhammeWhamme

I've thought about this a little, actually.

I like my supers, well, super, but I find that building at over 450pts just makes me get bored during character design (no, seriously. I just get fed up with details, and excess points, and blah blah blah...)

That said, far future superheroes is cool, and superheroes that can ignore modern military forces is my idea of what the genre is about! (Note: MY idea)

So, here's what I have:

Life support, Full, is 50pts.

Enough reeeaaaallllly fast movement to go between planets is also about 50pts (or less).

So, go with 450 points, and rework the benchmarks. Move STR and Defense averages up a little, move DEX and SPD averages down a little, and severely nerf 'primitive' technology. Voila. High Power without High Points.

Characters DO need to be more powerful (storywise) than in most campaigns though, as they're dealing with scaled up technology, if nothing else.

Characters DO need to be more powerful (storywise) than in most campaigns though' date=' as they're dealing with scaled up technology, if nothing else.[/quote']

Agreed. Some of the suggestions in GC for altering how super characters interact with the environment (breaking stuff, taking damage from "mundane" weapons) can help make supers characters seem more super, even at lower power levels. They could be adapted to a modern-day campaign, as well, if you want your supers to have more oomph than the standard rules allow.

I didn't much like 2099, but Galaxy Rangers ROCKED!

It's perfectly viable to use lower power levels (say 250-350 total points) in Galatic Champions. And it works quite well. There are some significent differences, however. The characters will be more on par with what's available to the normals, especially those with access to high technology. 350 points is roughly what you need to build a member of the Mobile Infantry (Starship Troopers, the book, not the film). A Viper (Battlestar Galatica) or a Starfury (Babylon 5) could be built on anywhere between 250 and 500 points each, depending upon how armored you think they are and how fast/long range they are. A character built on the same points can be expected to be on the same level.

Of course, if you don't anything like the Mobile Infantry

Pick up a comic called the Guardians of the Galaxy.

You had a guy with a single EB & Lifesupport

a Basic Brick (who was probably about Str 60-75)

An Archer with Indirect Arrows (and Bluse skin)

a Blaster with variable F/X & Armor

all could easily be done on about 350-450 points. They later gained two members, one was a acrobat with guns, the other well he/she would be harder to do on a budget...