Moving through the crowds

yamamura

Recently saw the first volume of Comic Party (enjoyable) and Kazuki's one friend; Taishi could easily move through the crowded convetion with no problems. I have thought of two ways of writing it up and was wondering which one of the following is best (or if there is another way)?

Move Through Crowds I: Teleportation 6", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (18 Active Points); Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4)

Move Through Crowds II: Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Only allows moving through Crowds as if they were not there (-2)

G

Guest Kolava

Re: Moving through the crowds

If it's only useful to get past people that are not actively trying to stop you, then I would buy it as an enviromental movement skill. If you can slip right past thick-armed thugs who hope to crush you, then one of those two you have might be better (though the teleportation still allows you to go up or cross a gap in the floor, and I don't think that's what you want)

If it's only useful to get past people that are not actively trying to stop you' date=' then I would buy it as an enviromental movement skill. [/quote']

That's what I was thinkin', too, though I doubt I'd allow you any limitation on Desolid that lets you move past hostile people without effort.

The way I picture the desolification is that you could still be attack or held or what ever (if someone was trying to stop you). I didn't think of Enviromental Movement and that could work to counteract the mvmt penalties of crowd movement.

G

I wrote up something similar for a precog character of mine, and just did it using the environmental movement talent:

3 Find the Best Path: Environmental Movement (no penalties in cluttered/cramped/crowded environments)

The special effect, of course, is that she can predict the paths that are going to open up and move through them.

Unless it has serious combat application, I wouldn't make it cost more than this.

- Bill

Guest Kolava

I was trying to give an example; I had in mind the one scene before the one where Morpheus is explaining the agents, where he is walking and Neo keeps bumping into people. I guess another example of this skill would be pickpockets who can grab a purse, then sprint through a crowded area or through an alley.

I've always handled this as a Skill. What Skill depends on the method of getting through. Acrobatics if the character is leaping over and around people in his way, Contortionist if he's actually squeezing around them. For the ability to simply get through a crown in something like a sprint, I'd allow a Contortionist roll, using the result similar to escaping Grabs. I use the character casual STR to "shrug aside" anyone in his way. The person need not actually push anyone around, but so long as he roll lets him he gets through.

I think Enviromental Movement is dead on, neat and tidy and further expanding that little Talent.

I'd use Skills, if needed at all, modified by EM: Crowds to some degree - negating some or all of the penalties you'd apply to the roll.

Walking through a dense crowd could be a strait DEX Roll with no penalties if the character has Enviromental Movement: Crowds.

How about a strong character forcing his way through a crowd?

I'd think if a characters "casual" STR is higher than the average strength of the crowd (default is 10 STR of course), then there should be no problem with the character forcing his way through (normal movement is possible...but probably not Non-combat speeds) However, the more dense the crowd, the more STR it would require to push through. How would you deal with that?

How about a strong character forcing his way through a crowd?

I'd think if a characters "casual" STR is higher than the average strength of the crowd (default is 10 STR of course), then there should be no problem with the character forcing his way through (normal movement is possible...but probably not Non-combat speeds) However, the more dense the crowd, the more STR it would require to push through. How would you deal with that?

Just like using Casual STR to move through any obstical, based upon the weight moved rather than their DEF+BODY. As a side effect, I'd apply damage to apply damage equal to the character's Casual STR on anyone in his path.

If the people of the crowd were actually attempting to bar the way, I'd run it like a Move Through, and taking the option of continuing to move if the taget takes KB. Depending upon how many people and how detailed I wanted it, I'd either make a single roll and be done with it, or make several rolls versus each "target" in the character's path. As long as they keep taking KB, the character keeps moving.