Newbie Question

cerebrolator

I have a player who wants to be able to interface his mind with computers so that he can collect data and perhaps tap into security systems. He is working off of an electrical powers elemental control framework. I'm very new at this and would like suggestions on how to make that ability. I'm thinking it might be some type of clairsentience but I have no idea what types of limitations and advantages to put on it. I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Re: Newbie Question

You're definately on the right track with this train of thought. :thumbup:

If you consider computers to be intellegences with "Machine Class Minds", it gets simpler. For instance,

"Telepathy (Machine class minds) 12d6,"

would allow you to communicate directly with a computer, and also gives you a chance of being able to delve intrusively into its memory. Other mental powers work pretty much the same. Check out page 79 of Hero 5th ed. for a discription of "Classes Of Minds".

Clairsentience is also the way to go if you want to be able to see through security cameras or something. I'm not sure exactly how this should be built, but this might work:

"Clairsentience (Sight Group)(20 Active Points); Only through the Senses Of Others (Very limited, Security Cameras only; -3/4). Total cost: 11 pts."

If you have the book, Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks has a villain on page 141, called "Cybermind," whose all about controlling computers and machines.

If you have the book' date=' [u']Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks[/u] has a villain on page 141, called "Cybermind," whose all about controlling computers and machines.

Also, the Champions supplement UNTIL Superpowers Database is a huge compilation of prebuilt Powers for many categories, including "Cyberkinesis" or control of machines. Lots of ideas there for a character like you describe. You can read more about USPD here.

Note that that link also allows you to access the Online USPD, which has even more example powers contributed by fans.

Depends on the extent of the desired powers.

The telepathy vs machine class works well for those things with computers in them or attached to them. Just a camera that's connected to a TV monitor or VCR somewhere, you might want to look at limited clairsentience.

Other fun stuff would be the ability to detect electrical equipment, so he can identify their locations and such (and then tap into them if he wants). "Hang on, there's a camera on the other side of this door..."

Since you also mentioned "tap into security systems" this would allow him to detect things like electric eyes and motion sensors before tripping them. He also might like to have a form of Images power so he can fool these kinds of things - like an "unidstrubed area" for motion sensors or an unbroken beam of light image for the electric eye.

Another idea is some form of electric lockpicking, so he can open up electric locks and such. You can do this with the actual lockpicking skill, and just use the power as a special effect, or you might toy with some form of indirect telekinesis (again, relying on his ability to detect and sense the mechanism inside). The TK could be expanded beyond that for manipulating other electrical devices (from causing a microwave oven to turn on to taking control of an automated gun platform).

Then you can go into the "denial" angle where he can prevent devices from working. I'd probably go with suppress vs a broad class of powers (electrical devices) then he can do things like cause that digital camera or cell phone not to work on up to more impressive stuff like shorting out someone's powered armor or something.

So it really depends on the desired scope of the power and, as a foot in the door kind of thing, this idea has many possibilites for expansion and future growth.