Social Limitation: Legacy

SAVeira

Re: Social Limitation: Legacy

Assuming they recognize him. Thus, the die roll for Reputation.

The whole point of a legacy character is that he's taking on the legacy of a well known hero, thus people will recognise him because he's wearing the same costume as that hero and might even have similar powers or use the same equipment. Thus reputation is inapprpriate to represent this as there's no chance the hero won't be recognised as anything but the legacy of the famous hero if he's in costume.

Assuming they recognize him. Thus, the die roll for Reputation.

The whole point of a legacy character is that he's taking on the legacy of a well known hero, thus people will recognise him because he's wearing the same costume as that hero and might even have similar powers or use the same equipment. Thus reputation is inapprpriate to represent this as there's no chance the hero won't be recognised as anything but the legacy of the famous hero if he's in costume.

There's no chance he won't be recognized? Everyone will always have to know him on sight? He's burrowed his way into the collective conciousness of humanity to such a degree that no one can ever not know him?

Let's say he's not a legacy hero. How do you represent an absolute like that? Arguably, someone like Superman might fall into this category. Of course, in most comics, everyone always recognizes the hero anyway, because it's his book!

Okay. That's a Psych Lim. He feels pressured to live up to Herodude's name.

No, a psych lim is something you pressure yourself to do. A social lim is pressure from someone/everyone else.

The social lim means SOMEONE ELSE has developed a set of standards for you (good or bad... or both). You can't change your mind about it with therapy.

There's no chance he won't be recognized? Everyone will always have to know him on sight? He's burrowed his way into the collective conciousness of humanity to such a degree that no one can ever not know him?

Happens with famous movie stars all the time, and since a famous super hero is liable to be more in the public eye what with fighting crime and saving the world and what not, it's not much of a stretch to belive that that sort of thing is possible. Besides if nobody knew who the heck the original hero was, why would somebody be taking up his legacy?

No, a psych lim is something you pressure yourself to do. A social lim is pressure from someone/everyone else.

The social lim means SOMEONE ELSE has developed a set of standards for you (good or bad... or both). You can't change your mind about it with therapy.

I still don't totally see this the way so many of you do (although I'm starting to, a little), but I'm tired of writing and re-writing paragraphs of opinion, so I'm out. I wouldn't handle this situation this way in my games, but we're not talking about my games, so more power to you. :thumbup:

Fine, one more!

Happens with famous movie stars all the time

Okay, but not even celebrities are recognized 100% of the time. Maybe 14-, sure, but....

Besides if nobody knew who the heck the original hero was, why would somebody be taking up his legacy?

This is rather unrelated, but a hero doesn't have to be 100% famous for someone to take up their cape and carry on. As long as the new hero knew them and believed in them, that's all it takes. I think Charlie Anderson is a great visual instructor. Do you know who he is? No (well, probably not-- and if you do, we should talk!). But I'd still like to be able to teach as well as he does, and be as skilled as he is, even if he's not world famous.

I still don't totally see this the way so many of you do (although I'm starting to' date=' a little), but I'm tired of writing and re-writing paragraphs of opinion, so I'm out. I wouldn't handle this situation this way in my games, but we're not talking about my games, so more power to you. :thumbup:[/quote']

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. :thumbup:

The usual "is it a psych" test is: "Can I mind control you not to have this?" In this case, no. It's not a psych. It could be a rep, but it's also a nice use of the social limitation disad (which has some other stuff going for it). A rep is "you are known for X" a social can be used more as "you are expected to be/do X." There's some overlap, I agree, but there is an overlap of these disads in most cases. :)

Guest Worldmaker

I don't know how much this counts for anything, but I'm having this added to the Master List of Social Limitations. While I can see the counter-arguments, it works as a SocLim, so its going on the list.

Personally, I like it a great deal being a huge fan of the JSA and Infinity Inc. At 5 points it won't disrupt the game but will provide some intresting RP, hooks, and adventure seeds. My only "restriction" would be that the player should come up with a history detailed enough to outline the exploits of the original hero and how he/she came to take up the legacy.

Reminds me of a team I wrote up for my Silver Knights world (please let me hit the lottery so I can self-publish!): the Legion of Honor. Basically it's made up of second and third generations heroes with the originals stretching back to the Golden Age. My personal favorite is Inferna, the illegitamate daughter of the Human Coment, a Golden Age hero with some impressive longevity (to explain how he could have a 19 year old daughter). Both are on the team and she can't forgive him for abandoning her mother.

I don't know how much this counts for anything' date=' but I'm having this added to the Master List of Social Limitations. While I can see the counter-arguments, it works as a SocLim, so its going on the list.[/quote']

Thank you for the honor. I am glad that people have be liking my idea.

BTW, anyone interested gaming legacy characters should really check out the article, Legacy in Mutants & Mastermind Annual. It has some great ideas, plus details a Golden Age superhero team and details on their legacies.

It would be something that would get mentioned everytime the poor hero does something good.

Heroman has just saved Millennium City from Mechanon's latest scheme.

"Great work Heroman!" Says the Mayor.

"Thanks." says Heroman, beaming from ear to ear.

"It reminds me of when your brother, Herodude, saved the world!"

Heroman's smile fades at the comparison... how will he ever live up to that?!

Okay. That's a Psych Lim. He feels pressured to live up to Herodude's name. See, if it weren't a Psych Lim, it would've gone like this:

Heroman has just saved Millennium City from Mechanon's latest scheme.

"Great work Heroman!" Says the Mayor.

"Thanks." says Heroman, beaming from ear to ear.

"It reminds me of when your brother, Herodude, saved the world!"

"Yeah, he was great, wasn't he?"

I still don't see how any of this is a Social Lim. Someone please explain to me how everyone in Hero City could expect you to live up to Hero X's reputation without that causing a great deal of pressure within you, Hero X II, to live up to their expectations. [/i]

I'm sorry Devlin1 but I don't see how my example is representative of a Psych Lim! If he is constantly being compared to his brother, who just happened to have saved the world (ie people have higher expectations for him), surely he is allowed to feel a little peeved by this? Being peeved by this does not make it a Psych Lim. If anyone has any older brothers, or succesful fathers, I'm sure they'll know how this feels. Especially when it comes to school reports/ exam results! :rolleyes::D

"Humph, your father/ bother/ distinguished relative wouldn't have done it like that!"

"Yes mom, I know, but it works fine doesn't it!"

Thanks Twilight, Acroyear and the rest! :D

Guest Worldmaker

Here's how it will appear in the Master List of Social Limitations:

Legacy

Frequently, Minor: 10 Points

Type: Social

Description: The character is not the first person to hold his position. He's viewed, rightly or wrongly, as the successor to the prestige and duties of the previous holder. The public will judge his every move by comparison with his predecessor. Many characters with this disadvantage have an identical name to the predecessor, with a number attached to it.