Name by Dream

Dust Raven

I'm usually better at naming characters, but this is a special case.

Last night I had a dream that I became a superhero. It wasn't even overly surreal, just a plain run though an origin scenario. Basically, Beautiful Wife and I were on our way to some dinner plans to meet with friends, and we got lost. We ended up at a hotel convention center to ask for directions, and were directed into a conference room. Just kinda going with the flow, we went in.

The people there were dressed kinda like us (dressed up for dinner) but with more jewelry and more manners. Apparently there was to be some kind of demonstration. Some wacky scientist had developed a special fire-retardant suit for the fire department, but had made such a good one he needed additional funding to complete the project. Due to it's makeup, the suit had other properties as well, and everybody in the room was interested. Samples of the fabric were handed out, and all I could think of was "wow, that suit must be comfortable!" The demonstration was handled using innuendos so the rest of it was lost on me.

We got to talk to the inventor though, who identified with us because we didn't act rich and snobby. Turns out he likes SF and comic books too, so we ended up forgetting our dinner plans and spent the evening chatting with this guy.

Well, sometime later, our dinner plans fell through once again, but it wasn't us this time. Apparently, the couple we were meeting last time got pissed we never showed up, and didn't show up this time. So we figured we might as well drop in on our mad scientist friend.

We get there, and he's a hyperspastic wreck. Apparently, one of the guests was planted by some criminal organization, and they had since been making threats to acquire the plans for the suit. They should be there any minute and could we help him escape? Well, sure, what are friends for after all?

The only completed suit was about my size, though a bit tight, and since I'd expressed an interest in trying it on and this might be my last chance... The plan was to wear my normal clothes over it and just walk out. Then guns start going off and we are pinned down. Doctor Mad Scientist guy asks if I could create a distraction so he, my wife and his lovely assistant could make their escape. I said, "Like hell, are you nuts?" Then he explained that one of the properties of the suit was that it was virtually immune to small arms fire. I said, "Well, that's different then, okay."

Then he hands me some other stuff he's been working on that might help me. A thin belt that's also a small particle accelerator that allows for antigravity. It doesn't have enough power to actually make me fly (either that or I weigh too much), but it allows me to leap really far, glide, and easly grasp and hold onto nearly any surface. Then he hands me this bulky rifle thing that I plug into the belt for power. It fires gelatine bullets that deliver a powerful electrical discharge designed to knock out targets rather than kill them. Unfortunately, the gun's never been tested, but would I like to give it a try? Umm...

So I go out and make this really awesome distraction, stunning criminal agents left and right, bouncing bullets off my chest and leaping around like a frog on coke. At least, until the SuperAgent shows up! He's got a suit too, and a belt, and a gun. His gadgets don't work as well as mine, but he's been using his for quite a while, and I've only been doing this for fifteen minutes. That and this guy's suit seems to makes him unaffected by the electrical discharge of my bullets. Fortunately, the antigravity belt makes me seem stronger (by affecting things I pick up to some degree, effectively adding to my strength), so I just use my gun as a club after he's out of bullets. The climactic battle is a close one, and involves plugging much of a hotel and its parking garage with holes, but I win.

The cops show up just as I beat this guy into a coma in the parking lot with a heavy rifle. I still don't know if there are any more and don't feel like answering really awkward questions (that, and I don't have a mask... yet) so I split. I meet back up with Dr. Scientist and everybody and tell them what happened. He's thrilled his gun worked, and says I can keep all this stuff if I hang out with him to help test new stuff he comes up with.

And thus begins the adventures of...

What the flying hell am I to be called? :think:

And while we're at it, what could we name the inventor and superagent?

Actual stats to be announced...

Re: Name by Dream

Dang I never remember my dreams. And if they do, they aren't that amazing. I think Dust Raven got my share!

I have no idea. Gravity belt that helps you leap, a near invulnerability to small arms, and an immunity to fire? Not to mention it's comfy? Liesure Suit Man! Well, ok, maybe not.

Dang I never remember my dreams. And if they do, they aren't that amazing. I think Dust Raven got my share!

I have no idea. Gravity belt that helps you leap, a near invulnerability to small arms, and an immunity to fire? Not to mention it's comfy? Liesure Suit Man! Well, ok, maybe not.

I remember my dreams quite vividly, for about five to ten minutes. I can remember then a bit longer if I talk about them immediately or write them down. What appears above I basically wrote down right after waking up.

Dreams like this are very unusual for me. I usually fly in my dreams, if I have anykind of powers. In this one, I specifically could not, though technically I had the potential. The other unusual thing about this dream is that it made a complete sotry. Most of my dreams end like an episode from a soap opera.

(Note: I have resisted nameing the scientist Sir Hillerie Pushemoff. Which begs to ask...where did I get that name' date=' and who used it?)[/quote']

Actually, a name like that begs to be left alone... and not to be mentioned again... ever.

:D

Actually, a name like that begs to be left alone... and not to be mentioned again... ever.

:D

Alright...I give. It was an alies of Boris Badenuff, from the first seasion of The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkel. If you though that was bad, try the "worlds famous detective" Hemlock Shomes...

Alright...I give. It was an alies of Boris Badenuff' date=' from the first seasion of The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkel. If you though that was bad, try the "worlds famous detective" Hemlock Shomes...[/quote']

God I miss that show... is it on DVD yet?

Wait.... I'm derailing my own thread! Name me....please. I'll get to work on the stats is that might help, but I'm not sure about how to post them from HDv2 to here. I'll figure something out.

Re: Name by DreamThis will be my first, real, posting of a character on the Hero Discussion Boards. If the output comes out wrong, blam Derek Hiemforth and Killer Shirke 'cuz they designed/modified the template...

RC Cray

Val Char Cost
15/35 STR 5
18 DEX 24
14 CON 8
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
14 EGO 8
15 PRE 5
14 COM 2
4/16 PD 1
4/24 ED 1
4 SPD 12
6 REC 0
28 END 0
40 STUN 15
6" RUN 0
2" SWIM 0
18"/22" LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 84

Cost Power END
70 Weapons: Variable Power Pool (Arsenal), 60 base + 10 control cost, VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Dr. Newbury's Arsenal (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available (weapons; -1/2); all slots OAF (-1)
0 1) Electro-Gel Pistol: EB 8d6, 4 clips of 16 Charges (+1/4); OAF (-1) plus EB 4d6, 4 clips of 16 Charges (+1/4), NND (FF, electrical insulation; +1); OAF (-1), Linked (EB; -1/2) Real Cost: 43 [16]
0 2) Weapon Club: HA +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) Real Cost: 6 0
0 3) Sight Group Flash 4d6, Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1); 2 Charges (-1 1/2), OAF (-1) Real Cost: 11 [2]
10 Antigravity Belt: Elemental Control, 30-point powers, all slots OIF (-1/2)
7 1) Gravity Manipulation: +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
10 2) Weightless: Gliding 25", Position Shift; OIF (-1/2) 0
10 3) Weightless Jump: Leaping +15" (18"/22" forward, 9"/11" upward) (Accurate), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2)
7 Antigravity Belt: Clinging (normal STR); OIF (-1/2) 0
32 Protective Suit: Armor (12 PD/20 ED); OIF (-1/2) 0
30 Heat Retardant: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%; OIF (-1/2), Only Works Against Fire & Heat (-1/2) 0
Powers Cost: 176

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Martial Arts: Fisticuffs
4 Block/Chin Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
5 Hoist 'n' Heave: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -2 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +20 STR to Throw
4 Punch/Backhand: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 / 9d6 Strike
1 Weapon Element: Clubs
Martial Arts Cost: 14

Cost Skill
16 +2 with All Combat
10 +2 with HTH Combat
0 AK: U.S.A. 8-
3 Acting 12-
3 Breakfall 13-
2 CK: Phoenix, AZ 11-
0 Climbing 8-
0 Concealment 8-
3 Conversation 12-
3 Deduction 12-
3 Gambling (Card Games, Backgammon) 12-
0 Language: English (idiomatic)
3 Oratory 12-
0 PS: Teacher 11-
0 Paramedics 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
2 SS: Mathematics 11-
1 SS: Parapsychology 8-
3 Seduction 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
0 Stealth 8-
2 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles
3 Tactics 12-
3 Teamwork 13-
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms, Thrown Rocks
Skills Cost: 67

Cost Perk
9 Contact: Dr. Clayton Newbury, Inventor (Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 14-
Perks Cost: 9

Val Disadvantages
15 DNPC: Renae Cray (spouse) 11- (Normal)
15 Hunted: Black Mamba 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
30 Mystery Disadvantages
20 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Very Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Ostentatious Show-Off (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Protective Of Innocents (Common, Strong)
10 Reputation: Gadget Using Hero, 11-
10 Unluck: 2d6
Disadvantage Points: 150
Cost Summary:Base Points:200Disadvantage Points: 150Total Experience Available: 0Total Character Cost: 350Height: 6' 4"Hair: BlondeWeight: 240 lbsEyes: BlueAppearance: RC's suit is of a tight fitting light grey material that feels smooth and soft to the touch. It has many pouches and pockets to carry whatever he might need. The belt is about two inches wide and glossy black. It latches with a narrow, brushed steel buckle.Personality: Thought possessed of strong moral and ethical caliber, RC is driven just as much by his demonstrative and adventure seeking nature as he is his need to "do what's right." Although he sees himself as someone simply playing the part of a superhero, he takes that part seriously.Quote:"Spiffy! What does this thing do?"Background: RC Cray a high school algebra teacher, and his wife Renae, were on their way to meet up with friends for dinner at a new restaurant one night. Unfamiliar with this part of town, the pair got lost, and stopped at a busy hotel convention center to ask for directions. Mistakenly, they were led into the conference room in the confusion, but they decided to go along with it… surely somebody inside could give them directions.

The people there were dressed in fine clothes, and carried an air of aristocracy. These people all had money. Apparently there was to be some kind of demonstration that night; some wacky scientist had developed a special fire-retardant suit for the fire department, but had stumbled upon such a superior method, he needed additional funding to complete the project. Due to its makeup, the suit had other properties as well, and everybody in the room was interested, including the lost couple. Samples of the fabric were handed out; however, all RC could think to observe was "wow, that suit must be comfortable!"

They finally got to talk to the inventor, Dr. Clayton Newbury. He, not being among the independently wealthy either, identified with the Crays because of their mutual creativity. They spent the rest of the evening in lively conversation, dinner having been forgotten.

A few days later, their ignored and insulted friends canceled dinner plans, and so the couple decided to spend their free evening by visiting their newfound friend.

Newbury was badly rattled by the surprise visit… he was a nervous wreck. He explained once he recognized the Crays. Apparently, one of the guests had been planted by VIPER, and they had since been making threats to acquire the plans for the suit. They could be arriving to make good on the threat at any time… the suit and plans had to be hidden. In a fit of panic, Newbury suggested that RC make off with the suit and contact him later once the pair was safe. RC was leery of the proposal, but he had been curious to try on the suit, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity.

The only completed suit was a snug but not uncomfortable fit, and Newbury had planned to have RC dress in his street clothes over it and walk out undetected. As he finished fastening the suit, their plans were interrupted by gunfire.

Dr. Newbury suggested that RC create a distraction so he, Renae, and Clayton’s lovely assistant Tabitha could make their escape. RC flashed him a look as if to say, “What, are you nuts?!?†Then Newbury explained that one of the properties of the suit was that, in order to fireproof it, the weave had to be so tight that it was virtually immune to most small arms fire. Then he handed RC some other stuff he'd been working on: A thin belt that allowed for rudimentary antigravity movement and a bulky sidearm that plugged into the belt for power. The belt didn't have enough power to actually make a man fly, but it allowed for leaping long distances and gliding, and rendered the wearer so lightweight, he ability to grasp and hold onto nearly any surface. The sidearm fired gelatin bullets that delivered a powerful electrical discharge designed to knock out targets rather than kill them. Unfortunately, the rounds had never been tested, nor had the gun. RC seemed a little nervous.

Hoping, however, to save the lives of his wife and friends, RC leapt out and fired upon the VIPER agents. He was a fabulous distraction, until their leader showed up! The villain, who RC later learned was known as Black Mamba, was wearing a suit of light power armor with shoulder mounted blasters. Though it was soon obvious that Black Mamba’s equipment was nowhere near the caliber of RC’s, Black Mamba was far more experienced. To make matters worse, the suit Black Mamba wore made him resistant to the electrical discharge of RC’s sidearm. RC eventually waited until the Black Mamba’s gun was spent of ammunition, and then used his own rifle to club him unconscious. During the fight, Renae, Dr. Newbury and Tabitha had managed to escape, and RC had defeated his foe, but not without a lot of damage to the hotel.

The cops showed up just as RC was beating Black Mamba into the parking lot with a heavy pistol. Not wanting to answer a lot of awkward questions, and not wanting the notoriety that would surely come when the press got wind, RC left the scene to meet back up with his friends. After RC related the story, Newbury was thrilled his inventions worked so well, and told RC he could continue using the suit and other gadgets, so long as he was willing to help Newbury test future inventions. After an impressively short talk about it, and an enthusiastic nod from Renae, the RC agreed.

Powers/Tactics: RC gains the majority of his Powers through a variety of foci. His suit, though designed primarily to protect against heat, also protects against other attacks. The antigravity belt, though it doesn't provide true flight, allows RC to become extremely light for long jumps and gliding, as well as making him effectively stronger. His sidearms and other weapons vary, but he often carries the electro-gel pistol he used in his first super-fight.

In combat, RC will attempt to take cover to protect himself from attacks rather than rely on the protection of his suit. If the opportunity allows, he'll take a high possition using his Leaping, Gliding or Clinging. Failing that, he'll to close to hand to hand rather than be a sitting duck. Although he's more skilled in hand to hand fighting, RC prefers to take down his enemies with as much distance between them as possible.

Campaign Use: 

Well, I've always wanted to call a superhero "Doohickey."

The super agent could be Thingama Bob!

Okay, seriously--'Spring Heeled Jack' IS a cool name, but I think it's better for the bad guy agent. For the hero, what about something like 'Gadget' to represent the equipment.

Hmm... 'Guardian,' 'Protector,' 'Bastion?' Something like that? ::Shrug::

The scientists name should be Fillmore something. :) (%)

Yep. But only seasion one (the plot about the Mooseberry bush' date=' and the Boxtop Badman story). "Hay Rocky, watch me pull a Dust Raven out of my hat!"[/quote']

Awesome....

[zombievoice]

must go to Amazon.com........

... or maybe B&N.

[/zombievoice]