Assisting another's skill checks

arcady

Maybe I missed it, or maybe it's not there...

But in Hero, how do you assist another person in making a skill check.

Say two people are researching a subject, and I have a skill check come into play over it, or perhaps two climbers and one attempts to help the other find a better hold on the cliffside, or even dancing partners helping each other out...

I'm coming off of d20, where if you make a DC 10 skill check you can give another person a plus 2 on their skill check. I thought an idea like this was present in Hero, but I'm not finding it in the books.

Re: Assisting another's skill checks

I don't know if there's anything official about assisting but the way we do it in our game is one character acts as the "complimentry" skill to the other character.

That is exactly how you do it. Check under COMPLIMENTARY SKILLS on page 27 of FREd.

Re: Assisting another's skill checks

FREd p.27 talks about Complementary Skills for one person using 2 different skills to solve a problem and for two people using the same (or different) skills to accomplish the task.

EDIT: Aha beaten to it. :) The part about two characters working together is easy to miss because the sentence starts on p27 and wraps to p28.